Fleaball: Battle Kitten Rising

I'm watching Supersize Me (I know I'm like a decade late on this) and oh my god I feel sick just watching this guy eat McDonald's for every meal. 

Also so his fucking nutritionist just said "muscle weighs more than fat." WHY. RAGE. 

Im so bored/don't want to do anything I've been watching food/health documentaries on Netflix lately. 

Bright side, I put on Spanish subtitles?

• Like 4

The more I look at the word whiskey the weirder is seems. Like maybe it is actually an adjective, derived from the more common 'whiskery' but drunken slurring has reduced it to 'whiskey'. 

Also yeah, muscle weighs more than fat heh. Just to make weighing yourself more confusing. 

Have you watched Mr Robot? That was my last binge. Not on Netflix though sorry.

I keep dreaming about cute animals, I blame your challenge title - in a good way, I like these dreams. Even if they are making me late to work.

• Like 2

Omg when I was writing papers there were certain words in each one that kept popping up and I'd literally stop and google to make sure they were actual words. (And that I could actually use them in English. Because there have totally been times where I've written things as if it were French and that totally doesn't work.)

I think I've seen gifs on tumblr and was not super interested in it? There are plenty of things I could watch and even more things I could do that aren't tv-related, I just don't feel like doing them. I have been more productive than usual today though, so I'm not complaining. 

#sorrynotsorry lol. Except I am sorry you're late for work, because that is stressful, and nothing about cute animals should be stress-inducing. 

• Like 4

"Why would you like to volunteer with us?"

A.) You have kitties and I want to play with them. 

B.) I have an anxiety disorder and animals help. (Roommate's contribution but also an ulterior motive of mine.)

C.) Kitties.

Applying to volunteer shouldn't be this damn challenging. Or cost money. But whatever.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Omg when I was writing papers there were certain words in each one that kept popping up and I'd literally stop and google to make sure they were actual words. (And that I could actually use them in English. Because there have totally been times where I've written things as if it were French and that totally doesn't work.)

I think I've seen gifs on tumblr and was not super interested in it? There are plenty of things I could watch and even more things I could do that aren't tv-related, I just don't feel like doing them. I have been more productive than usual today though, so I'm not complaining. 

#sorrynotsorry lol. Except I am sorry you're late for work, because that is stressful, and nothing about cute animals should be stress-inducing. 

Haha yeah I can imagine your professors getting a little annoyed at trying to read multilingual papers. Cool though.

Yay productiveness! Are you volunteering at a cat shelter or something? Cause that's pretty cool. My dream this morning had a miniature heavy horse (?!)that could talk and lived inside, and super fluffy cats were also involved I think. I am lucky no one really cares what time I turn up to work (within reason of course) but that means I have to be mildly responsible or else it's a slippery slope to becoming entirely nocturnal. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Owlet said:

Haha yeah I can imagine your professors getting a little annoyed at trying to read multilingual papers. Cool though.

Yay productiveness! Are you volunteering at a cat shelter or something? Cause that's pretty cool. My dream this morning had a miniature heavy horse (?!)that could talk and lived inside, and super fluffy cats were also involved I think. I am lucky no one really cares what time I turn up to work (within reason of course) but that means I have to be mildly responsible or else it's a slippery slope to becoming entirely nocturnal. 

Trying to volunteer at the humane society, which is like animal shelter/adoption center/etc. Dogs and cats for sure, they might have some other animals too? But one of the jobs you can sign up for is socializing cats. Which I am all about, as opposed to scooping poop. That is an amazing dream. Being noctural is lame. Don't do it. 

• Like 4

I am overthinking this volunteering thing to the point of absurdity. My roommate turned on the movie Paper Towns and holy shit y'all it was terrible. I tried not to watch but it's hard when the TV is like 10 feet away from you. And I regret even paying attention to the parts I wound up watching. That's my excuse for not getting the application done sooner though. I was distracted. And now look, I'm distracted doing this too. Whoops. Guess I can't focus on the application. Speaking of applications, I need to get cracking on the job front again. I've been slacking. 

In other news, I counted up all the articles leftover from school that I want to read and uh, there's like 350 of them? At least 75 are things I downloaded for the 20-page paper and never wound up even looking at. Then there are 2 classes' worth of readings that I never even did during those classes so uh, yeah. It's gonna be a fun summer. Most of them should take no more than 20 minutes each. 

Bought a crock pot today. Did all my ankle exercises, finally. Made plans for lunch with a friend on Monday, and it's a mystery shopping gig which means I'll get reimbursed for it. Free lunch ftw. Also I feel the need to buy a guitar. Someone tell me this is a bad idea. Anyone. I took lessons briefly in high school and enjoyed it, but it also wasn't quite worth it because the guy didn't teach us music things, he just had us print out tabs from the interwebs for whatever song we wanted to learn that week. I've been toying with buying one for months. Now would be a good time considering I've got the time to focus on getting started. 

Roommate is dog-sitting Tuesday-Thursday next week and then going to Seattle Friday-Monday. House to myself ftw. Also, reduced chances of passive-aggressive comments, yay!

Welp. 2 hours after I started this post, I just submitted my application. I told myself I wouldn't post this til I got the damn thing done so I'd stop talking about it, and I did it. So there.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, fleaball said:

"Why would you like to volunteer with us?"

A.) You have kitties and I want to play with them. 

B.) I have an anxiety disorder and animals help. (Roommate's contribution but also an ulterior motive of mine.)

C.) Kitties.

Applying to volunteer shouldn't be this damn challenging. Or cost money. But whatever.

You can just come visit me, I have cats (and might be getting another - darn children!)

• Like 3

350 arrivals at 20 mins each? That's only like 117 hours of reading; you'll be fine :P

Also, crock pots are awesome! Definitely a good purchase. May have to slow cook something this weekend.

Also also, if you can read tab (and preferably chord charts) you can learn guitar. A lot of professional musicians don't read music and if you're only doing it for fun the musical side doesn't matter too much. I play so if you end up getting one and need some help message me.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

You can just come visit me, I have cats (and might be getting another - darn children!)

You're a bit farther than a mile away. ;) Get another! Do it! My parents have two and my brother and I have been pushing for a third for years. You can never have too many cats. 

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

350 arrivals at 20 mins each? That's only like 117 hours of reading; you'll be fine :P

Also, crock pots are awesome! Definitely a good purchase. May have to slow cook something this weekend.

Also also, if you can read tab (and preferably chord charts) you can learn guitar. A lot of professional musicians don't read music and if you're only doing it for fun the musical side doesn't matter too much. I play so if you end up getting one and need some help message me.

A good chunk of them actually look interesting, so it won't be so bad. And the ones that wind up being terribly boring? Well no one's going to penalize me for not reading them. 

Cheers! I remember not finding it terribly difficult forever ago, so I might just go for it. I'll def let you know what happens.

• Like 4

As if cover letters didn't give me enough trouble already, guess who gets to take up valuble space explaining, "No really, I know it says I'm on academic probation and failed a class but that's totally lies, my school just really likes unnecessary paperwork and fucking people over. I swear. Please don't throw out my application." 

Like yes, okay, I had 6 months to write some papers and clear the incomplete classes and I didn't do it. That's on me. But no one told me it would take two weeks to get approval just for someone to submit the Change of Grade form, and now, a week after that approval has been obtained, they just submitted that form yesterday and there's going to be a delay on it that could take several weeks?? And no one will tell me when the academic probation will be resolved and/or whether the F will fuck it up. If someone had told me "heads up, we need at least a month to get our shit together for this one class, please finish it first" I probably would have. Granted the situation is a little more complicated, but the grades for my other two incomplete classes were changed within 48 hours of the professors getting my work back to me so I think it was reasonable not to expect it to take a fucking month. It's literally been 3 weeks since I got the grade for this class via email and the only times I've gotten any updates on it have been when I've emailed specifically to ask what the fuck is taking so long.

I'm so mad. My advisor can't give me a timeline on when this shit's getting fixed, so I'm probably going to lose out on any job and internship I apply to that requires a transcript because even if I explain the situation, why would they bother following up if there are similarly-qualified applicants without this bullshit to deal with? 

Aaghhh dumb. You could keep emailing them til they get so annoyed they actually get it sorted? Then again they might be spiteful and take longer just to annoy you. Don't listen to me. But yay crock pot! Now you can make delicious meals with minimal effort, wheeee. I am so jealous you have the house to yourself. Use it wisely ;) Hey I just had a thought, friend of mine sometimes earns a bit of cash on the side by looking after people's pets when they go away (there's some website where people advertise), maybe there's something similar where you are? Then you can get fluffy cuddles and moneys while you wait for something more permanent. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Owlet said:

Aaghhh dumb. You could keep emailing them til they get so annoyed they actually get it sorted? Then again they might be spiteful and take longer just to annoy you. Don't listen to me. But yay crock pot! Now you can make delicious meals with minimal effort, wheeee. I am so jealous you have the house to yourself. Use it wisely ;) Hey I just had a thought, friend of mine sometimes earns a bit of cash on the side by looking after people's pets when they go away (there's some website where people advertise), maybe there's something similar where you are? Then you can get fluffy cuddles and moneys while you wait for something more permanent. 

I assume it's currently sitting in a pile of everyone else's paperwork and no one's going to dig through it just to find mine to shut me up. Tbh I don't even know what office to badger about it. And yeah I'm totally the kind of employee that would 'accidentally' lose someone's stuff if they kept bugging me, so I assume everyone else would be. I've seen dog walking/pet sitting ads on Craigslist and elsewhere, but really I don't want the responsibility lol. If I work at that shelter it's like, show up for 2-3 hours once a week and do what they tell me to and go home. If I take care of people's pets that requires actually paying attention beyond when I want to play with them. ;) 

As far as the roommate thing goes, I basically live alone at this point anyway. She's always at her boyfriend's because his work schedule is ridiculous. Knowing that she'll be away for a week just means I get to run around half dressed and not do dishes for several days without worrying about her actually showing up lol

• Like 3
1 minute ago, fleaball said:

Knowing that she'll be away for a week just means I get to run around half dressed and not do dishes for several days without worrying about her actually showing up lol

Good, you have grasped the essentials of this situation. heheh

• Like 2

I need a brain transplant. How do I get on that list? I've spent like 8 hours today being stressed about my car and it turns out it was pretty baseless. Ranting below bc I need to get this out of my head. 

Called the insurance company to get the appraiser's report so send to friend's mom's bf rather than me saying "um, well, it's dented? And drives funny?" First they put me on hold for 7 minutes, then hang up on me. Call back immeidately, no answer. Continue calling back for ten minutes to be ignored each time. Remember I have Skype credit, call from there, surprise they pick up. Dude cannot comprehend why I want this report. "Ma'am didn't you receive a check? Isn't your car totaled? That means it's not fixable." Finally I got him to give it to me anyway, 15 minutes on hold later. 

Read the report. Got upset because A.) I understand exactly none of it and B.) turns out the site they used to calculate the value of the car gave similar results as the one I used, BUT it added $700 for the low mileage, which mine did not. (I had tried checking this site too and it didn't work, idk why. Maybe you had to pay or something?) So it turns out that what I thought was a great check was really just what I was owed. And I lost my chance to argue for more given that in the month prior to the accident (literally the preceding 4 weeks) I'd put $1k into the damn car. Idk if it would have gotten me any extra, but both the appraiser and my family's mechanic at home said it would be worth trying if it came down to that. So then I was kicking myself for having already cashed the check and not doing more research etc blah. 

Called my mother, which I really need to stop doing because whenever I'm stressed about something she makes it infinitely worse and my anxiety spikes even higher. Somewhere along the way she convinced me that even though the car is technically fixable (they found parts for everything, just deemed it all too expensive) it's not worth it to fix it because of the frame damage and the car is too dangerous and ill have to buy a new one even though it would be hella expensive etc. 

So I stew on that for a while. And also continue to be upset about money in general and mad about the fact that I didn't call the police when the accident happened and several other things it's too late to fix. My mother has my father call me (both to keep him ~included~ and because he ostensibly knows more about cars but is still an idiot) and he's literally no help whatsoever and instead makes me feel worse. Minus the small fact that from his own experience as a cop, even if I'd called them they might not have done much because there were no injuries, the cars were driveable, etc. (Not quite sure I believe that but I DO believe the reputation DC cops have for being useless so who knows if it would have been worth it.)

I tried distracting myself by reading and watching TV and going to the store for ice cream but it didn't really help. Took several hours to ask my friend whether I could forward her the report or should I send it directly to the bf because for some reason I was afraid to bring it up with her? Like I don't want to keep using her as an intermediary I guess? She's the one that offered his services in the first place, and said if I wanted to wait to call him til she was there this weekend that was cool. Apparently he has a strong Haitian accent and can be hard to understand over the phone. So I was waiting. She told me to send her the report, and an hour ago she read it and said the car's totally fixable, they just decided it was too expensive mostly because of the labor. So she'll have him take a look at it tomorrow and I guess one of them will get back to me?

so as usual, I've spent an entire day worrying about something that ultimately will turn out fine. :rolleyes: and now it's 2 am and I should have gone to bed forever ago. And I'm also reluctant to want to get up tomorrow because roommate came home again and her bed is here too and it feels hella awkward. It's all me/in my head, but ugh. One more thing I don't want to deal with. 

/rant. One day I will get my shit together. 

• Like 2

"I'm gonna get up and run in the morning before dude comes to fetch my car!" 

*can't fall asleep until 4*

*despondent flailiing at 8am alarm*

Today's not a workout day anyway but since I haven't done anything ever I figured I'd try to squeeze it in. So of course I couldn't sleep. I suspect it was a combination of anxiety over trying to fit it in before he gets here and just not knowing how the morning would go in general (dude's showing up at some point in the next hour, supposedly, to tow my car to his shop in Virginia. I talked to him on the phone last night and he's very nice and all that, but I've never met him, I feel vaguely weird about the situation like I'm taking advantage or something since my friend volunteered him even though he had every right to say no, and I just hate waiting around for windows of time). So lesson learned: stop trying to schedule things in the same timeframe as anxiety-inducing things unless unavoidable, especially if it means waking up early. Now I'm just going crazy listening for a tow truck, which is useless because I live on a main road and keep hearing buses/trucks/other things that make the same kinds of noises. 

Challenge recap: still haven't worked out. Also failing on my ankle exercises. Doing so-so on the rest. Gained weight last week, lost it this week. Could be the excessive takeout I had last week, or just period-related. Who knows. I need to go grocery shopping but it's rainy and cold and gross. Might go later if it clears up, or just leave it for tomorrow. Not ruling out a run if it gets nicer either. 

Is it naptime yet?

• Like 3

Glad you're back! I was offline for a while so I was behind and just caught up on 3 pages of thread. An eventful 3 pages. Dear god your anxiety sounds a lot like mine. Also I have intermittent insomnia so I really feel you on the sleep thing. A metronome set to a really slow beat helps me sleep - it reminds me of the old grandfather clock in my grandparents' place when I was a kid. It's one of the few things that actively relaxes me. When I used to sleep alone, I fell asleep to the metronome every night, but I can't do that anymore because apparently normal people find it maddening, not soothing. The perils of love and affection, I guess.

Insurance companies are assholes. Their entire business model is trying to make sure people don't get what they pay for. We had some damage to our roof during a hailstorm last summer and getting them to pay for the damage was like pulling teeth out of a cranky lion made entirely of tiny scorpions. I spent the better part of two weeks emailing/calling back and forth with our stupid adjuster about whether or not they were obligated to also cover the garage roof and I swear by the end of it I was so full of rage I was ready to eat my own cell phone.

NB: Do not eat your cell phone

• Like 3

In the latest edition of "Flea is a hot fucking mess:" Apparently I have inflammation in my chest? Chondrocostal junction syndrome? Like this morning I noticed my chest (the left side, ofc) hurt when I moved a certain way and whatnot. I figured it had something to do with the acid reflux I haven't quite gotten over yet but also haven't been taking medication for. Booked it to student health because if I didn't I'd probably actually have a heart attack while sitting around and wondering if I were going to have a heart attack. But it's not cardiac, all my shit's fine. Apparently this thing can just happen. So now I have to take ibuprofen for a week to reduce the inflammation. :rolleyes:

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go stress myself out finishing a job application that's due in 54 minutes.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Chondrocostal junction syndrome

From wikipedia: causes: "It has even been known to occur after hearty bouts of laughter" Now it will be our fault for offering you so many kitten gifs

giphy.gif

Recover soon!!!

• Like 5