• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Sketchitar

Sketchitar: Battle Against FM

Right now I'm going through one of those interesting times in life where everything is shifting about two inches to the left so you keep knocking into all the furniture.  I'm graduating with my BSW on the 14th and starting my MSW on June 27th. I'm in a relatively new relationship with a man I love very much. I'm starting a new part time job tomorrow (right now I wait tables, I'm starting at a 3 AM baker somewhere else). And my parents are starting to take moving seriously.

In the midst of all this I am still fighting my greatest enemy: fibromyalgia. This means that, as far as science knows, my nerves basically had a panic attack, got used to being panicked, and stayed that way so I'm in pain pretty much 90% of the time. Really I don't notice most of it because I'm used to it. The way to fight it is a nerve blocking medication (umm, no.) or with things like reducing gluten, aerobic exercise, yoga, and loosing weight.

Current states: 160 lbs. 41"-36"-41" (chest, waist, hips)

Goal stats: 153 lbs. 41"-34"-41" (those two are not moving much, trust me.)

Plan: Make dinner 1-2x weekly (I'm 20, live with my parents, I like cooking)

Run: 3 normal runs weekly, 1 long run. (current normal is 2 miles, I cool down and stretch with some yoga. I track and rate my runs with Run Keeper.)

Other: 2 other work outs weekly (cross training, strength training, whatever. Doesn't have to be on a different day, could just be a long workout day)

Life: finish two quilt tops, a skirt, and a dress.

Tracking: Pictures weekly, measure weekly.

• Like 3

Sounds like you have a great plan. I love the crafting goals as well. I find that making time for my hobbies brings a lot of peace into my mind. Good luck!

Goals look great! You may be surprised at where you lose inches. I ALWAYS lose inches in my chest first because I am very well endowed. Good luck!

And thus we enter the eleventh day of rain in Northern Virginia.

1 hour/11 miles stationary bike followed by 10 push ups & 60 second plank X3. Stretch to cool down.

• Like 1

If any one else is counting, it's now TWELVE days of rain (some news organizations count 14 to 15) and we're starting to feel a bit like Noah over here. So instead of going running and risking busting my butt on the road, I decided to google up a Fitness Blender workout because, hey, that's how I lost the weight after high school.

*angry buzzer sound here*

What looked like a good, 60 minute workout turned out to be Hips From Hell. Having my FM mainly target my hips, I've had a cortisone shot in my right hip--basically they lubed up my joint so it doesn't hurt to move it as much. Well now it hurts. I made it half way through, I was sweating at some point, and may have gotten some good lower back strengthening in but NEVER AGAIN. At least not that one ever again.

But I did work out for 30 minutes so there's that. Not my plan, not what I wanted to do, and feeling kind of not work it, but whatever. I did something.

On 5/7/2016 at 8:34 AM, Sketchitar said:

If any one else is counting, it's now TWELVE days of rain (some news organizations count 14 to 15) and we're starting to feel a bit like Noah over here. So instead of going running and risking busting my butt on the road, I decided to google up a Fitness Blender workout because, hey, that's how I lost the weight after high school.

*angry buzzer sound here*

What looked like a good, 60 minute workout turned out to be Hips From Hell. Having my FM mainly target my hips, I've had a cortisone shot in my right hip--basically they lubed up my joint so it doesn't hurt to move it as much. Well now it hurts. I made it half way through, I was sweating at some point, and may have gotten some good lower back strengthening in but NEVER AGAIN. At least not that one ever again.

But I did work out for 30 minutes so there's that. Not my plan, not what I wanted to do, and feeling kind of not work it, but whatever. I did something.

How's it going? did you find a workout that doesn't hurt so much?

Sketchitar: Respawning

Sketchitar is not always good at life and I know why. I hit all the "oh well let's just take a break" walls for fitness. New relationship (not so new now), graduate school, and an internship (wtf is free time) so I gave up on my superhero alter ego for a little while. That was all well and good and I thought I was still eating pretty okay until I realized I was hurting again. That's the funny thing about FM, it's hard to realize when you're in pain again because it's still a normal resting state for you. Then I noticed my pants are not fitting so great. So I stepped on the scale and . . . I've gained 10 pounds since the last time I was on here. I'm a 170 pounds. I was 180 in high school and got down to 155 at my lowest after that.

So I went on a 2.49 mile run and i found out that even though my cape got a little dusty, I can still be a super hero. I even used my 20 seconds of insanity, and the motivation of Crazy Train coming on Pandora, and went up the Monster Hill. I usually use the bottom of it as the turn around on my route because it's Huge and Long and Steep (all of those deserve capital letters). I also made myself a nice little spread sheet with my goals and a table to track my progress over the next 8 weeks. I'll write more specifically about those later, but the big one is to be 10 pounds down. And in three weeks I want to be able to go 3 miles on a run.

So here we go again, only smarter and better this time.

Today I did my first strength workout of the week and followed it up with a 1.25 miles run.

Strength went like this:

squats/push ups (rest) 3x

lunge/plank (rest) 3x

squats: 15 reps 3x

push ups: 7 - 10 - 10

lunges: 10/10 3x

plank: 41 - 30 - 31

From my 3 runs this week I'm averaging 14.06 min/mile which is better then where I was when I started last time; I'm pleased that I haven't had too much of a back slide.

My goals have changed since I started, fell off the wagon, and got back on again. I'm in the thick of graduate school now and an internship that I do two and half days a week. I'm getting close to being a Real Adult as opposed to a person of technical adult age who lives with their parents and still has trouble making decisions on my own sometimes. My relationship isn't a " okay we're dating" type of thing anymore, it's more of a "oh shit I don't think we're ever breaking up" kind of thing. Life has changed and moved on, basically, and I need to establish good habits before I get out in the world mostly on my own.

Currently I'm 169.6 lbs (I was 170 last Sunday). The measurements I'm tracking are thigh, stomach, and hips (25.5, 37, 42.75). I've got a spread sheet and everything because I'm a dork and love Excel.

My biggest goals are just to establish good habits and manage my FM. My secondary goals are spread out over the next 7 weeks and they are

1) loose 10 pounds and reduce my measurements

2) Take my average mile time down from 14.06 m/m to 10 m/m