• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Severine

Severine: The unglamorous effectiveness of tracking things

I'm new to Nerd Fitness (oh hai!) but not to being a nerd or caring about fitness. I found the forums just as this challenge was about to begin, and I know from experience that the thing I need is accountability and tracking in order to get my habits on track. I'm hoping I'll find some interesting people along the way.

Main Goal: Right now my main focus is weight loss. A few years back I lost a large amount of weight by tracking my food and getting in better shape. I'm still in good shape, and I work a physical job and get regular exercise, but despite my activity the weight is coming back gradually because I'm being a moron. I let myself get complacent and stopped tracking my food, and despite my periodic ability to fool myself into thinking otherwise, it's been proven time and again that for me, no tracking = eating crap. No amount of activity can counterbalance eating a pint of B&J for dinner, which is something I do mindlessly when not tracking, and never seem to do when tracking makes me stop and think about it. So no more of that nonsense: I need to get back to tracking, because I refuse to be yet another story of someone losing weight and then regaining it all.

Challenge Goal #1: Track all my food

• This should be easy as long as I don't let myself act like a moron and blow it off. I tracked my food for years and I know exactly how to do it. It takes me less than 10 minutes per day. It's just a matter of following through. 
  • A: 25 days or more tracked --- B: 20-25 days tracked --- C: Fewer than 20 days tracked

Challenge Goal #2: Eat average of 1800 calories per day

• I don't try to eat exactly the same amount every day, because overly rigid rules make me rebel and some days I'm hungrier than others. But I want my average to be about 1800 calories daily. I burn about 2600ish calories daily between work and exercise, so that'd create a reasonable deficit for the weight loss I want.
  • A: Monthly average within 100 calories of target --- B: Average within 200 calories of target --- C: Average within 300 calories of target

Challenge Goal #3: Tackle procrastination, which leads to stress, which leads to chocolate

• I need to get at least 1 thing off my to-do list every single day (over and above normal daily obligations). It might sound weird to consider this part of my weight loss goal, but I know myself: if I'm stressed out and overwhelmed I'm much more prone to mindless snacking, binge eating, and other bad food decisions. I own a small business and manage another business part-time, and when you add household and social obligations I have a hell of a lot of stuff going on. I'm a procrastinator, and when I let things pile up I get more anxious and avoidant and it's a vicious cycle. When I get stuff done, however, I feel successful and it takes pressure off and builds momentum for me to get even more stuff done. 
  • A: 25 productive days or more --- B: 20-25 productive days --- C: Fewer than 20 productive days

Life Goal: Write 500+ words every day

• I am calmer and happier when I write regularly. It doesn't really matter what it is - journals, fiction, rants about current events - everything counts. 

• Like 13

Excellent goals!  I look forward to following this to see where it goes :D I wish you a very awesome challenge!

Oh and welcome, this is my first challenge here as well. 

• Like 1

I love this challenge! Awesome goals. And awesome display picture. SAME about tracking - when I don't track I'm like "oh this piece of cake doesn't really count". I might borrow the tracking goal for my challenge (hope that's okay).

Good luck good luck good luck!

• Like 1

Got off to a good start! Food tracking has been going smoothly (so smoothly that I feel like a tool for having ever stopped, sigh) and my intake is where I want it to be. My macros are a bit off (I need more protein sources in the house) but it's a good place to start. It's amazing how much better I eat when I'm actually paying attention.

Knocked things off the to-do lists yesterday and the day before and it felt great. I love the sense of relief and accomplishment that comes from checking something off the list. Yesterday especially was satisfying because I pushed through and got a big task done despite crappy weather (I work mostly outside). Felt great on the drive home.

Didn't write yesterday, but the day before I went to a writing group with a friend of mine, which is something I had never done before and was a little nervous about, so I'm very happy I pushed myself and did it. I enjoyed it and will definitely go back.

Yesterday was my weekly rock climbing night, and I was thinking about how much better I used to be before I put this weight on. One of the things I'm really excited about with losing it is that I know from experience I'll see an automatic increase in my climbing level just from the improved strength-to-weight ratio. So huzzah for things to look forward to.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Severine said:

Yesterday was my weekly rock climbing night, and I was thinking about how much better I used to be before I put this weight on. One of the things I'm really excited about with losing it is that I know from experience I'll see an automatic increase in my climbing level just from the improved strength-to-weight ratio. So huzzah for things to look forward to.

One of my friends asked why I'm looking to lose weight/exercise/eat better and I tried explaining that being healthier, stronger, and lighter will allow me to more easily do things I enjoy.  Definitely helps to keep those kind of goals in mind.

Also, procrastinators unite!...tomorrow...
I'm often bitten by the procrastination bug and I admire your goal of working on that.  Sound like you've got a good plan for this challenge!

• Like 1

Welcome to the party! I feel you on the tracking. It's so obnoxious but yet so useful. D: You've got some solid goals. 

Don't forget to pop around and visit your fellow Rebels. :) Building yourself a support system really helps with accountability and reaching your goals.

• Like 1

Greetings and welcome to the Rebellion. Your goals are pretty solid and, as procastinator myself, I use a similar tactic to control my anxious nature: I narrow it down to the hardest task/the one that is stressing me the most and do it first thing in the morning. I feel it sets the pace for a more productive day.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Love your goal for writing! Let us know how that is going too!

I'm also getting back into tracking my food. Track monkeys unite. Sometimes I will weigh our every single ingredient, but I'm letting that go because it's driving me crazy. But even if I'm not super accurate about my tracking, it's the same for me: I just make better decisions overall and I'm way more aware of my body and what is going into it. "Am I really hungry, or bored?" is a big one for me :P

Good start! Keep it up :) 

• Like 1

Following along, seems like we have a similar pattern when it comes to calorie tracking. I also struggle to get enough protein in my diet, saying that I should boil some eggs when I get home from work tonight.

Welcome to the forums btw, my 2 year anniversary was last week. Made some great friendships here, hope you do the same.

• Like 1

I totally feel you on the goal to get something checked off your list every day.  When I'm worried about things or feeling overwhelmed, absolutely nothing gets done: I eat terribly, I sit myself down in front of the television and do nothing for hours on end because I'm too stressed and feel incapacitated to even begin doing something.  I love that you've realized what works for you and you're taking steps towards achieving what you want. :)  

Good luck with this challenge!  Will enjoy following along.  

• Like 3

First, the exciting news: I bought a Fitbit! The Charge HR model. I had a bunch of credit card reward points saved up (I pay my balance off in full each month before the due date and thus never pay any interest, and meanwhile use the reward dollars to get free stuff - using this system, I make about $400 per year profit from my credit cards) and it was enough to pay for the whole thing so I decided to go for it. It's been a while since I had a fitness tracker, but a few years ago when I was wearing one daily (that one was a Jawbone) I found it really motivating. Once I have a little free time I'll update my forum signature with a link to my Fitbit profile, and if anyone here has one you can add me as a friend if so inclined.

The first official day of the challenge was great. Logged my food, ate within my target range, wrote more than 500 words (journal) and crossed a few things off my to-do list. I did have a rather unproductive morning, but I made up for it in the afternoon. Still have ten thousand things to do this week, but I need to not get overwhelmed, and just chip away at it.

Okay this update is a little boring, but I have to get up for work in 6 hours so it's function over fashion, people.

• Like 7

Exciting news about your FitBit. I'd love to hear how it goes, if it's motivating you, how it's helping you, etc. I bought one and then deciding that I shouldn't have bought it as I wouldn't use it so returned it, but I am eager to get a new one if it's going to help me in the short and long term.

:smile-new:

• Like 1

Greetings, Monday. Nice of you to drop by. Not sure if you noticed, but...

• I tracked all my food today
  • I stayed within calorie goals
  • I was a productive whirlwind
  • I just wrote a whole bunch a few moments ago

Also I had an incredibly active day - after working outside for the whole day I met up with a friend and we went for a nice long walk while catching up. Socialization plus bonus exercise!

So, basically:

giphy.gif

Anyone here who has a Fitbit: there's a link in my signature now that goes to my profile. Feel free to add me if you've got one! Today was my first day so there's not much data yet, but I did get over 20,000 steps today.

Also, Stellaris came out today! It's 9:30 and only now do I finally have time to even think about video games, but huzzah nonetheless! 

• Like 8

Excellent win of a week! That is truly inspiring. I've been struggling with my cleaning and productivity goals, but you really motivate me. Well done!!

• Like 1

I love your challenge so far! I was mesmerized by the Xena gif for a while, lol. I'm also back to tracking and wanting to work on my procrastination. Good luck with your challenge! 

• Like 1

Update about yesterday: a really cool thing happened. In the morning I was feeling unmotivated, and I couldn't do the transplanting I had scheduled (for weather-related reasons) so I was just going to swing by the farm and check on things and then focus on greenhouse work. However, on the drive over there thanks to music (thanks, Pandora) and general momentum, I started to feel a bit more energetic. By the time I got to the farm I was thinking about my Nerd Fitness challenge, and told myself that if I was there anyway I should get something useful done outside. So I mowed all around the edges of the fields and under the deer fencing! In retrospect, I'm SO GLAD I did this on a day when weather prevented me from doing other stuff, because now it's out of the way and I won't have to worry about it later when I do have other stuff I need to do. So that was awesome!

And even better - once I got home and was finished with the greenhouse work, I felt oddly motivated to keep the productivity streak going, and I mowed my front lawn. It *really* needed mowing and I had been putting it off, but for some reason once I had momentum, it felt so much easier. Like for the past few days every time I thought about it I would just sort of cringe and think, "Uggggh, later" but suddenly it was all, "Oh, the lawn? Yeah that'll take like 20 minutes! No problem, let's get it done." There's something about being productive that just makes it feel so much easier to continue being productive.

Anyway, so all of that felt great. My anti-procrastination goal is so far going really well. I also tracked all my food again. It's funny, I should be proud of myself or happy or something but mostly I keep mentally facepalming when I think about how stupid it was to have ever stopped doing something so easy and so beneficial.

I went out with a friend after dinner and we had a couple delicious cocktails and then went to his place and watched a couple episodes of House of Cards (we're almost at the end of season 4) which meant that I was a couple hundred calories over my target and, because I didn't leave his place until 1:30, I also missed my chance to do my writing yesterday. I had such a good time that I don't mind, though. And tonight I'm going to my second meeting of that writing group I mentioned before, so I'll be right back on track.

Hope everyone's challenge is going great!

• Like 8

Want to come do some yardwork at our house while you're on the productivity streak?  Haha, I could use some of that energy!

That's awesome!  Glad it's going well and that you had some time to relax and have fun with a friend :)

• Like 1