• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Stonefist

Stonefist stops making excuses and squats

Well, it's been a while, and excuses abound for why I've slipped.

On the positive side, less time in the mines, means more time in the forge. Squat stand mk. I is nearing completion, with only minor stability issues to be fixed. Which means I can finally do back squats!

So, here are the goals for this challenge:

1. Get back in the mines, and do the 2nd part of the Danger program. At this pace, I'll be lucky to finish it this year...

2. Time for a sleep goal, again. Last time I did pretty good, but things have changed since then, well, one teething little thing in particular. 

3. Form checks! Time to suck it up and post some vids, despite being a grumpy, camera shy dwarf.

Aside from all of that, I have decided to use the zero week to ramp up my squats. It's all squats every day, trying to get the form right and get the lift somewhere in the area of the rest of my lifts.

• Like 3

Thanks guys!

Seeing as the "official" challenge starts on sunday, and my workout weeks start on saturdays, I'll have to end my week zero a bit early. Counting a week back, I got in 5 squat sessions in 7 days, moved my low bar squat up from 185 to 245, but going to have to dial it back a bit once I start doing 5 rep sets.

Squatting every day wasn't as bad as I thought, even if I didn't quite make it (excuses, excuses), and it was only for a week. Might have to look into doing some sort of actual program to this effect. Any suggestions ? I believe Smolov is close, but the reptutation of that program is...well, let's just say I hardly think it's a good idea until I get some more squatting done and some form checks in.

Smolov definitely isn't a routine to undertake lightly. If you're doing "squat every day" and you're not confident on form, might be an idea to stick to the 70-80% of 1RM range rather than pushing it and breaking yourself.

• Like 1

Oh, certainly, and thanks for the input. I'm not intending on program hopping, so I still have at least two months before even considering doing anything. I'm more curious about the program, really, I suppose, particularly since I am not as beat up as I expected to be.

The truth is, at this point, I am not even sure what my 1RM is for back squats. That was part of what this week was about. I don't think I quite got there, but 245 is close enough to where I'll back it off some for when I start doing sets of 5.

But yes, getting form checked is one of my main goals this month.

So, week 1 recap:

Quest 1: Lifted 2/4 times. Sigh. Having trouble finding the time to lift without disturbing wife and child. 

Quest 2: Slept an average 6.85 hours. Not bad, but some days sleep was prioritized over lifting. I suppose I could have gotten up earlier to lift, but it would have wrecked this quest.

Quest 3: No vids yet. Need to man up and do it next week.

• Like 5

Thanks for the vote of confidence....but apparently not, yet, anyway.

Quest 1: Lifted 4/4 times this week, so doing better there. No time for any accessories, though, so not exactly an A, either.

Quest 2: As I predicted, prioritizing quest 1 had an impact on this quest. Still, not as bad as I feared. I averaged 6 h of sleep this week, which is only roughly 1 less than last week. Still, it's a far cry from the 8 which was my target.

Quest 3: As mentioned, no progress. Stay tuned next week for these and to see if both sleep AND lifting is actually possible with a 9 month old

• Like 1

I'm starting to think I lied in the thread name...

Quest1: Lifted 3/4 sessions, almost no accessories. Just couldn't squeeze in that last session.

Quest2: Average of 5h sleep per night. Also not going in the right direction.

Quest3: Still no vids...

I guess it can only get better.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a tendency to be overly critical, particularly when it comes to my own efforts.

Of course, I also have a tendency to make excuses...

The latest of which is that I got "promoted" to main sleep-watcher in the evenings. While this did mean my wife got some much needed time, it meant less time in the evenings to work out. I  managed to get two sessions in, barely. Next challenge, I will have to move my wake time, so I  can do it in the morning, as that seems like the only possibility.

So, let's sum it up:

Quest 1: Lifted 11/16 days, so roughly 75%. That's a C. As mentioned, I will try to fix this by doing workouts in the morning from now on.

Quest 2: Slept an average of 6 h, which is 2 full hours less than the goal. This is a D at best. 

Quest 3: No vids. Total failure.

So to sum up: Losing all over the place. Which is OK, losing is fun, it means I can do better next time, starting with getting some freaking vids up in this week 0.