Artemis Joins the Mandalorians (part 2.5)

Artemis

The theme is Star Wars / Mandalorians since my primary fitness motivation right now is my Mandalorian costume build.  I feel a bit guilty every time I look at my helmet, it reminds me that I need to get back to shedding some pounds.  I've definitely been packing the weight back on, largely due to too much take-out/snacking from school related stress.  It's basically summer and, while I won't be super thin, it would be nice to drop a few pounds before people start dragging me along on trips to the beach.

I disappeared during the last challenge and am going to reuse my theme for this new attempt.

1. Prepare for Battle - Foundational Fitness

4825556530_aedeab6630_b.jpg

For the duration of this challenge, I will be working my way through the Darebee Age of Pandora Program.  I have specifically chosen this because it requires a more rigid workout schedule (and this seems to be where I am struggling most).  Modifications will be made as needed to accommodate my cardiac condition.  Mostly this means that lots of isometric exercises are off the table and need to be subbed for other options.

Apparently some people do more than one of these workouts in a day... If I think I can do it, I am allowed to do this also in order to accumulate more points.    

Point System

Per workout - 2 points + extra .5 points for each increasing level of difficulty

2. Fit into the Smugglers Compartment - Become more Flexible

EP4_ILM_120.jpg

Since biking consistently was turning into a huge fail, I'm replacing my second fitness category with a series of options.  I may only do one of these repeatedly, or I may dabble.  We shall see.  This is more about encouraging fitness related activities of some kind than actually developing a growing skill set in one area.

Possible Points 

Biking for 30+ minutes - 2

Stretching for 5 minutes - .5 pts

Doing a zombies run mission - 2

Extra Darebee workout/stretching exercise/weapons practice - 2 pts + extra .5 points for each increasing level of difficulty

Fencing Practice - 3

3. Eat Like a Warrior
fhJnvwUn1qkn9j1x0Gdahu4xo1_500.jpg
I had great success with the Whole 30 two challenges ago, and then consumed far too much ice cream over the last month.  My diet is still far better than it has been in a long time, however I need to pay close attention to my habits and continue to encourage healthy eating.  I'm sticking with Paleo for this challenge.  Points are all or nothing for each day.  If I slip up and eat a cookie, I don't get points for that day.  Hopefully, this will curb my desire to eat well all day long and then have cake for dessert.  There will be one exception to this rule:  anything that came in my latest care package (mostly chocolate) is fair game and does not break this rule.  I also expect that it may take me 2-3 days before these food goals are achievable since my fridge is completely empty and I need to go grocery shopping/meal prep.

I'm also turning 21 this challenge. :)     This means that there will most definitely be some days where I will not be eating 100% paleo.  

Possible Points
Proper eating - 1 pt
Food Journal - 1 pt

4.. Maintain the Starship - Life Goal (broken into Mini Goals)

9ff3df8412994642303b4ce2de24edd1.jpg

Challenge Mini-Goals and Related Points:

Costume Related

Finish my Mandalorian helmet - 5pts

Finish my holster setup - 3pts

Complete the belt rig - 3pts

Assemble girth belt - 2pts

Other 

Submit my Capstone report  - 5pts (one time only)

1 hour room/apartment cleaning - 2pts

Complete major assignments more than 36 hours in advance - 1pt

Daily update - 1/4 points

Apply to an internship - 1 pt

Acquire internship - 5 points

This challenge is all or nothing, so the progress bar is a sum of all points, in all categories, so far.  I'm placing the minimum at 125 points since I believe this is roughly the point where I would have to do the majority of my workouts, lots of random exercise activities, eat properly, and accomplish at least a few of my life goals.  If I reach 175 points, I will consider some type of prize.

• Like 6

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

I might be running a contemporary mercenary theme this challenge, and largely fronting the whole modern viking identity of late, but I'll always be Mandalorian at heart.

Glad to follow along here!

• Like 1

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Following to watch you kick butt!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Looking forward to this. And keep you head up.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Thanks everyone!  I swear I'm actually going to make it through this one....  I just have to defeat finals week and then I'm free and clear for summer (Yay!).

4 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Did someone say Mandalorian?  Following for costume goodness.

There will be pics...  At least of the helmet, possibly more depending on time constraints

• Like 3

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

I owe you all an update and I'm hoping to post one soon. Possibly destroyed my laptop today (spilled something on it. 100% my fault), so I'm out a computer and quite a bit of progress on all my final assignments.  Much to do, but I'll try to find time for an actual update in the next day or two

• Like 2

Take your time, We'll be here waiting!

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Probably too late, but if it was water you could be lucky. Let it dry for a few days. I'll ask my bf for additional tips.

• Like 1

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Thanks everyone! 

54 minutes ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Probably too late, but if it was water you could be lucky. Let it dry for a few days. I'll ask my bf for additional tips.

And... it was soy sauce, which has created a problem since it apparently creates excellent pathways between circuitry elements.   I am being punished  by the fitness gods for splurging on take out instead of eating healthy food from the fridge. :P

My boyfriend said with sticky liquids you should get the battery out and try to clean it with water before letting it dry for several days. But with no Thinkpad I wouldn't do this. No guarantee it will work. But there's not much to lose anyway, isn't it? Thinkpads are built to resist liquids, but normal labtops :/ But I know of some accidents with beer and one with tequila, that did kill the labtop real slow. They functioned for another few years. But they got more and more hardware defects.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a shot and managed to get my laptop up and running again on Thursday.  Unfortunately, the laptop is still mostly nonfunctional since half of the keys don't work, though that's significantly better than nothing. I'm going to take it down to one of the local repairmen and see if they can work their magic.

On a more positive note, finals are over and I'm finally back home.  That means I can finally put some proper effort into this challenge and really make some progress.  I did a lvl 3 Darebee katana workout and went for a short walk today and am planning to do something similar tomorrow. 

Other news: here's the current progress on my helmet.  I still have some painting to do around the visor area and then I have to do a few acrylic washes to the whole helmet to add 'dirt' and reduce the overall shininess.  The visor is almost ready to be installed, I just have to add the chrome tint.

CB7D89B0-0B94-4190-AA7C-308CE0F492DA_zps

Typing this on my iPad. Apologies for any typos that my clumsy fingers have caused.

• Like 4

I didn't get nearly as much accomplished today as I would have liked.  I dragged the dogs on a short walk but that was about it fitness wise since I ended up spending most of the day with family.  We saw Civil War tonight (2nd time for me) and ate way too much unhealthy movie popcorn.

Tomorrow should be a better day. I have a phone interview in the morning and will be spending the rest of the day helping a family friend with her startup.

I'm also hoping to set up a gym membership for the summer someone this week. 

Your helmet is so shiny. It really looks like a lot of work. Thanks again for the tips in your old challenge thread. I talked with a friend about it and he wants to start with a face sculpt. I want to at least get the dress ready for September and my boyfriend is doing the earrings and stuff with 3D printer. I'm sure this will be a bigger project.

And keeping my fingers crossed for your laptop. Can't you remove the keyboard to clean it seperately? Or is there still waranty?

Spoiler

That helmet looks AWESOME!! I can't wait to see the completed outfit!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

On May 16, 2016 at 0:50 AM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Your helmet is so shiny. It really looks like a lot of work. Thanks again for the tips in your old challenge thread. I talked with a friend about it and he wants to start with a face sculpt. I want to at least get the dress ready for September and my boyfriend is doing the earrings and stuff with 3D printer. I'm sure this will be a bigger project.

And keeping my fingers crossed for your laptop. Can't you remove the keyboard to clean it seperately? Or is there still waranty?

That's super cool! I really wish I had a 3D printer.

Thankfully, this computer is about 5 years old.  This means no warranty, but it's probably reaching the end of it's lifespan. The thing has been through stuff that would have destroyed other computers, and it's rather surprising that it's made it this far.  I'm a bit attatched to it, so I'm hoping I can have it fixed, though I may just but a new computer depending on how expensive the repairs will be.  For now, I'm sharing the family computer.

10 hours ago, Red1263 said:

That helmet looks AWESOME!! I can't wait to see the completed outfit!

Thanks! It'll be a while.... Things are going slowly and I really packed on the weight over the last two months. I'm really focusing on working out, so hopefully I will be a bit thinner by the time I start fitting the torso armor.

Fitness news:  I've kind of l started tweaking the challenge to be more in line with the mini. Mostly this means that I've subbed out my Age of Pandora workouts for Darebee Katana workouts (elemental affinity).  I've also been dragging the dogs on regular walks around the neighborhood.  Hoping to update my total point progress later tonight. Still haven't been to the gym to register for the summer; that's top of my to-do list.  My food habits are also rapidly improving as a result of having a well-stocked fridge.  We ate out this morning, but otherwise the last few days have been great.  

Landed an unpaid virtual internship. Nothing too exciting, and I'm still on the hunt for something more permanent.  They've given me two weeks to do a market research project. I estimate that it will take me less than 20 hours, so I'm aiming to be done by Wednesday.  Hopefully, this will lead to a more permanent, paid job.  I'm also working for a friends baking business and have been doing her accounts, cost analysis spreadsheets and things. This job pays, though I am going to have to actively avoid the yummy baked cookies.

Apologies for the typos. I have clutzy phone fingers

• Like 1

That's excellent progress Artemis! I hope you land something permanent that you'll enjoy!

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

On 5/20/2016 at 6:11 PM, Asuka said:

Awesome!! Following your results!

Team Avengers!

On 5/20/2016 at 11:45 PM, Red1263 said:

That's excellent progress Artemis! I hope you land something permanent that you'll enjoy!

I'm so happy!  It feels great to be getting somewhere, even though progress has been slow.

The last few days were crazy busy, thus my relative silence on the forums.  I went to the local renn faire with some friend on Saturday and we had a great time walking around and checking out the sites.  Sunday I drove out to the local armor party.  This is basically a get together for the local mandalorian cosplayers; there's a potluck and we spend all day building armor.  It was great fun and I'm looking forward to the next one.  On Monday I hosted a get together at my place for my local friends and we brought each other up to speed on our months at school.  

It has been a crazy last few days, and I have eaten far too much junk food.  I really need to buckle down and control my diet.  Exercising has started to become a fairly regular routine, but it's not going to make much of a difference if I keep eating cake.  

Other good news, my family just gave me 21st b-day presents (we agreed to wait until I was home from school in order to save on shipping / have more fun).  I have a new laptop!  Apparently this was the plan all along, even before I destroyed my current computer.     

Anyways, since I should have an internet connection besides my phone/borrowed computer, I should be able to update more regularly

• Like 2