Elleica [Ace Garcera] Embraces Assassin (1st 4-Week Challenge)

Elleica

After lurking (and some soul searching) I have decided to finally become an assassin. I have killed my previous inhibitions that prevented me from becoming one and decided to actually go forth and embrace my destiny (!). 

So I am re-posting here my original 4-week challenge (my first ever challenge) that I have posted initially in the Adventurers Guild. And I will begin to track my self from this point on as an Assassin.

----o0o0o-----------

This is my first quest and my first attempt at assigning points to what I do. After listing everything below, I feel it's quite a lot but to be honest, it's just a little. I was just really thorough as I already assessed my behaviors and habits in the last 3 weeks since I've been engrossed in forming healthier habits. The total points is more than 100pts which is what was recommended when building a character but I also knew that there will be days when I won't hit the actual points (like in Sleeping). Is it bad if I just want to be realistic in increasing my chances to hit 100? :) Please let me know if I will just be cheating myself (mentally that is) so I can re-adjust. Suggestions to are welcome!

I. SLEEP / REST RELATED - 42XP

• Get 7 hours sleep minimum every day. 
    • Sleep at 10PM. Wake up at 5:30AM. EVERYDAY. --- 1XP per day accomplished. Total 28XP
    • No electronics 30 minutes before bedtime --- 0.5XP per day accomplished. Total 14XP

II. DIET RELATED - 28XP

• Eat 90% Paleo Meals EVERYDAY --- 1XP per day accomplished. Total 28XP

III. EXERCISE RELATED - 68XP

• Walk 6,000 steps EVERYDAY --- 1XP per day accomplished. Total 28XP
  • Strength train 3x a week --- 5XP per week accomplished. Total 20XP
  • Do an interval training 1x a week --- interval running as Steve Suggested --- 5XP per week accomplished. Total 20XP

IV. LIFE GOALS RELATED (Bonus Points) - min 20XP

• Publish an article in my personal blog --- 5XP per blog post (towards becoming a self-published writer)
  • Get a general medical checkup --- 5XP
  • Get my scoliosis checked --- 5XP
  • Inquire how to sign up as a broker to real property development firms --- 5XP

V. FINANCE RELATED (Bonus Points) - 15XP

• Hit Savings Target for the month --- 15XP

TOTAL IDEAL POINTS: 173 POINTS

• Like 3

Epic Character  | 4-Week Challenge: Current | 2 | 1 |

Ok. This is now my new 4-week challenge thread. I have decided to track my XPs via Google Sheet (I'm nerdy with figures like that) and here is the sheet --> https://goo.gl/WU4bqR

Also, I have decided that since I am now more consciously increasing my strength, I have to expand my Strength Training Goals.

40 minutes ago, Ace Garcera said:

Strength train 3x a week --- 5XP per week accomplished. Total 20XP

Currently, I can do 2 sets of Steve's Beginner's Bodyweight Training. For the upcoming 4-week challenge, I will add an additional 5XP everytime I complete 3 sets. 

Additional Goal:

• Complete 3 sets of Steve's Beginner's Bodyweight Training --- +5XP every occurrence. Total Possible Pts: +15XP each week, +60XP for the month!
  • Like 1

Honestly the beautiful thing about these challenges is you create what works for you, everyone has a different set up. It took me months to figure out what works for me and I still sometimes run into a poorly planned out challenge. :)  As this is your first challenge my main advice would be don't get discouraged if at the 3rd week you are not liking the challenge you set up. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't, don't feel bad if you have to step back and re-evaluate. That begin said, I love your challenge. It's a do all the things attitude that I wish I had. Following along. :D

What interval training are you planning on doing?

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Thanks for the encouragement Jonesy! Mainly, the challenge I listed here are what I have been doing since I discovered NF and committed to finally changing my life. I figured I'll enter those into a challenge to keep myself motivated to keep on doing what I've been doing. 

For interval training, I plan to do what Steve suggested -- 

This will be your routine for three weeks:

• 5 minutes of warmup...light walking, bump the speed up a little bit to get your legs warmed up…then stretch.  Don’t stretch until you’ve warmed up.  Think of your muscles like rubber bands…you quickly pull a rubber band that hasn’t been used yet and it’ll snap.  Warm it up, get it used to activity, then stretch it, and you’re golden.
  • 30 seconds of increased pace (70% of maximum effort)… 2 minutes of decreased pace.
  • 30 seconds of increased pace (75% of maximum effort)… 2 minutes of decreased pace.
  • 30 seconds of increased pace (80% of maximum effort)… 2 minutes of decreased pace.
  • 30 seconds of increased pace (85% of maximum effort)… 2 minutes of decreased pace.
  • 30 seconds of increased pace (90% of maximum effort)… 2 minutes of decreased pace.
  • 30 seconds of increased pace (100% of maximum effort)..2 minutes of decreased pace.
  • 5 minutes of light jogging and stretching. When you stretch afterwards, your muscles expand, allowing the nutrients you’re about to eat to fill in the gaps that are now empty from exercise.  Also, it keeps your muscles loose, so there’s a far less chance for injury.

I plan to do it in between the 3x of strength training I set out to be which is basically on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Since it will involve running, I know I can commit to running on those dates (Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays) that I've mentioned. Though honestly, this is the first time I am doing this type of interval training (and I am not really so sure I can commit on a regular 3x a week running schedule). Before I thought HIIT (7-minute workout app) counts as interval training but after feeling super tired from a strength training - HIIT workout -- I asked around in the forums and found out that Steve's Beginners Bodyweight Training and the 7-minute app basically works out the same muscle groups and I'd be better off making the alternate days active days. 

My fellow freshman! I'm just about to settle down and write out my challenge thread, so I decided to check out yours first for inspiration!

Y'know for interval training I've been using http://www.c25kfree.com/ I'm just after finishing Week 4 Day 2 and I love it. I don't know about you, but I find it easier to use my mental energy on keeping my body running rather than keeping time for a jog/run. The app beeps and then tells you what to do. For example: "Begin running for 90 seconds. You are on run 2 of 8". One thing I love about it is it will make a little sound and tell you when you are halfway through the run!

Also why don't you put a link to your blog in your signature? That will at least give a little more motivation to keep yourself going?

Anyway, here's my challenge thread!

• Like 1

Just one day at a time...

My Current Challenge!

On 5/6/2016 at 8:23 PM, annyshay said:

Hey hey!  Glad you decided to follow your heart and soul to our awesome guild!  Your challenge is ambitious!  I've been here for years and am still working on these habits.  Real change is hard, but much more fun with friends.  Can't wait to join you out there.

Thank you for sharing this video :) It's a real inspiration!

• Like 1

Hey, fellow team member! I'm following along. I like the layout of your goals. It sounds like you have some pretty challenging goals ahead of you. Don't be too hard on yourself because one of the things I've learned along the way is staying positive and tweaking on the fly helps keep burnout and discouragement at bay.

• Like 1

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 16

Epic Quest

Challenges: [Current}

[17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

2 minutes ago, Jayniana Jones said:

Hey, fellow team member! I'm following along. I like the layout of your goals. It sounds like you have some pretty challenging goals ahead of you. Don't be too hard on yourself because one of the things I've learned along the way is staying positive and tweaking on the fly helps keep burnout and discouragement at bay.

Thanks so much. :) I have realized I will need to tweak some goals myself in order to make everything more realistic. :) Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 1

Ok. Last 2 days left before the first week of this 4-week challenge ends. So far, my overall points for the week is at 23.5XP. 

Sleep - 2.5

Diet - 2

Exercise - 9

Life - 10

Total: 23.5

(seriously, I have to come up with better names for my quests. Hehe)

It's not something I'm proud of but I hope to increase the ante by next week. Also, 2 days to go so I am bound to achieve more within the time given. 

In the spirit of the mini challenges, I have also logged the time for when I do my quests and so far it's been:

Regeneration (cooking) - 63

Invulnerability (HIIT/strength, interval training) - 8

Super Toughness (walking) - 303

Lately also, I've taken up French from Duolingo. I'm happy with the significant progress I've made and I'm seriously thinking of adding it as one of the goals either during this month's challenges or next month. The app is so motivating on its own and it also helps that I'm considering moving to a French speaking country. :)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ace Garcera said:

Lately also, I've taken up French from Duolingo. I'm happy with the significant progress I've made and I'm seriously thinking of adding it as one of the goals either during this month's challenges or next month. The app is so motivating on its own and it also helps that I'm considering moving to a French speaking country. :)

Awesome! I was thinking of doing some language training for my next challenge, and I've already started french and italian on doulingo... so maybe I'll settle for french, and as we get better we could practice together :D 

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

So much walking, that's awesome! 

• Like 1

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Keep up the good work. I'm sure you'll get some time in this weekend for some of your projects. 

As a side note, in the team PM you mentioned getting tired of salads for paleo. Have you peeked a Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso? There're lots of veggie options and suggestions. I also have utilized vegetarian cookbooks for ideas on different spices to add to steamed or roasted veggies. OMGPaleo.com is another of my favorites to add variety.

• Like 2

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 16

Epic Quest

Challenges: [Current}

[17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

no love for nomnompaleo.com?

this "message" was brought to you through the ether using ero san's arcane magics (and a cellphone)

• Like 4

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

4 minutes ago, Jayniana Jones said:

Keep up the good work. I'm sure you'll get some time in this weekend for some of your projects. 

As a side note, in the team PM you mentioned getting tired of salads for paleo. Have you peeked a Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso? There're lots of veggie options and suggestions. I also have utilized vegetarian cookbooks for ideas on different spices to add to steamed or roasted veggies. OMGPaleo.com is another of my favorites to add variety.

I second both of those suggestions and also recommend nomnompaleo.com. :) 

• Like 1

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

First week of the 4-week challenge is something I would rate as FAIR. It wasn't that EXCELLENT since I didn't really get to actively hit all my goals but I don't see it as bad too because the motivation and desire was there (except for the Saturday where I had succumbed to my lazy Saturday attitude of just binge-watching TV series though thankfully I ate Paleo at not junk foods except for the small amount of Koko Crunch that is all the junk food left in the house). 

So my scores for the first week were:

SLEEP - 2.5 out of 10.5

Sadly, I only hit my goal of sleeping at 10PM (and waking up at 5:30AM thus getting at least 7.5hrs sleep) for just one day of the week. I need to seriously work on getting better sleeping habits as I understand that recovery (and getting enough sleep) is an important aspect of fitness. I did manage to stop the bad habit of looking at Facebook right before I sleep leading to me not falling asleep at all. I deleted the FB App from my phone and has managed my consumption of the social media site.

DIET - 4 out of 7

I had significant improvements on this. Essentially, Paleo eating for me is not eating rice or bread. I rarely eat junk foods so removing that from the diet was easy. It was choosing to eat healthy thus proactively planning my meals and cooking them that was the challenge. I cook before but I can't say it was healthy cooking since most of my meals were designed to be eated with rice. Now I had to plan things so that I can know how to eat them with veggies and still be happy about it. There's still more room to improve though before I get a perfect score. I also adjusted my goal from being 100% Paleo to being only 90% Paleo for the entire week. That means, I get to eat rice on those occassions when I can't avoid it i.e. eating outside with friends but only on small quantities; the same goes if I have to eat burgers or hotdogs or pizzas in some celebratory occassion. But they have to be in minimal quantities. Soda consumption is a big NO. 

EXERCISE - 20 out of 42

This is another part I think I could have done better. It was the hectic schedule getting in the way which I know shouldn't be an excuse. It was an excuse I used for the longest time I can remember. With proper planning of my days, I know I can squeeze in the workouts I need. I reverted my goals back to the 7-minute app. The app allows me to have the most workout for the shortest amount of time - ideal for my hectic schedule. I am proud of my walking though. I managed to achieve my target steps and I am thinking of increasing it perhaps in the next challenge. For now the goal is to maintain an average of 6,000 steps for this entire challenge round. 

BONUS POINTS - 10

This essentially involved publishing more articles on my blog. Although I am thinking of removing this goal altogether because I am unsure how it fits into my overall goal picture. Need to re-think the entire Bonus Part of my goals. 

TOTAL POINTS: 36.5 over 59.5

Overall Assessment: FAIR, I could do better. But I am happy with what I have achieved. Being this aware and this motivated is definitely a step up. Not to mention that the mini challenge does help though sadly I wasn't able to record that last final stretch. My points supposedly were:

Super Toughness - 379 minutes

Invulnerability - 61 minutes

Regeneration - 188 minutes

Excited for the next round! 

giphy.gif

• Like 5

On 5/13/2016 at 6:21 AM, Jayniana Jones said:

Most of my sources as actually online. I will just normally google Paleo and look at recipes. Often I see options of roasting the veggies which means I must have an oven. So far, all I have is an oven toaster and roasting veggies there did not produce good results. I am thinking of getting a legitimate oven - also helps with my proteins - but for the moment I am sticking to salads, stir frys, steamed and sauteed veggies. 

OMGPaleo.com ---> are you talking about this: http://paleomg.com/? It looks like a pretty neat site.

On 5/13/2016 at 6:25 AM, erosan said:

no love for nomnompaleo.com?

This looks like a cool site too!

Can't wait to explore veggie options also :) 

• Like 3