Alaysia's WiT Log

Warrior-in-Training Log

I didn't think I'd put down what I'm doing, but I've changed my mind. I think I want to have a real log of what I'm doing and be able to look back at the changes, the mistakes, the wins, etc. I'm tracking on my Body Space app, but that doesn't leave a lot of room for reflection and is harder to page through.

So, here's my log.

I've done two, A and B, workouts in my New Rules of Lifting for Women program. So now I am familiar with what I'll be doing for six weeks. 

5/2/2016

Stage 1, Workout A

• Barbell Squat: 2 sets of 15 at 45#
  • Pushups: 2 sets of 15 at slightly under hip level height. I loathe pushups, and even at hip level, these were a bitch to finish.
  • Seated Cable Rows: 2x15. One set was at 17.5kg and the second was at 27.5kg. Had the wrong attachment on the handle, but I'll keep working at it. Not sure I have the right way of the exercise yet.
  • Dumbell Step-up: 2x15 at 5# Height of the step was way too high because I had to use a piece of machine equipment. Probably about 6" off the ground. But now I've figured out how to put together the steps (lol, duh) and will be able to be more reasonable with the steps and higher with the weight.
  • Prone Jacknife: 2x8. This one was tough. Didn't realize it was working the sides of my abs (obliques) until the next day. But that makes sense since I had to work to stay balanced on the ball.

5/4/2016

Stage 1, Workout B

• Deadlift: 2x15. First set was 35#, but I barely made it through and thought I had bit way off more than I could chew and went down to 20# on the next set. I think I have the move down, but will work on it. Probably need to watch more youtube videos now that I have done it and know what to look for. At least the DOMS tells me which muscles were activated and yeah, lower back lights up just like the diagram today. 
  • Dumb bell Shoulder Press:2x15 at 5#. This is the move that made me want a battle log. I could barely get every rep done on this and, I admit, I feel weak with only using 5#. And though logically I know we all have to start somewhere and that I always knew my upper arms were the weakest part on me, I'm still working to not be embarrassed. But I shall get stronger and I want proof of the gains I make in the future. So, Future Self, I hope you are smiling and enjoying this look back at weaker you. :)
  • Wide-Grip Lat Pull down: 2x15 25#/35#. I looked at the cable machine and thought it was too short. I may have been wrong. So I used the machine on this one. Starting at 25# was too weak. 35# was better. I need to look at this one some more, though, and see if full over-head extension of the arm is my own imagination or if the cable machine is, indeed, too short.
  • Lunge: 2x15 at Body weight. I was still super sore from the squats on Monday so chose to do only BW on these. Halfway through, though, I thought I should have at least held a 5-pounder. It wasn't nearly as awful as I thought it'd be. Apparently the whole "exercise helps muscle soreness" isn't just a lie to keep you working out. lol.
  • Swiss Ball Crunch: 2x15. I was only supposed to do 8 reps, but 15 is so ingrained, that's what I did. I messed up the first set, having put the ball in the small of my back and not under my hips more. After I fixed that, I can see what 8 reps would have been plenty.

Eating wise I am working on it. On rest days I watch my intake of calories, but not so much on workout days. Working on more protein with less carbs, which is a challenge. And water. Trying to get my water goal everyday. Looking forward to moving without so much pain every day. :D

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

Previous Challenges: 1 ~ Current Challenge

I may need to rethink my Mon/Wed/Sat lifting schedule. Kids have only been up for two hours and they are draining me of all patience and motivation to do anything but crawl back into bed and hide from their arguing-whiny mouths. They're teens, so I'm allowed to move out now, right?

My plan is to go into the gym at about 1pm, when it's at its quietest. I may need duct tape and a dark closet to store some...things in order to keep my energy up. 

• Like 2

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

2 hours ago, _alexandra said:

i definitely feel ya on the lack of arm strength. the thought of doing 30 pushups makes me cringe!

I cringe before, during, and after them, and I'm still doing them on an angle. Seriously, I have the arm strength of a T-Rex. My arms are just decorative at this point.

• Like 1

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5/7/2016

Stage 1, Workout A

• Squat: 2x15 at 45#. I warmed up with some plain squats this time and I think it'll help. Still struggling on the last few reps in the last set, so I think I'm at this weight for at least one or two more workouts.
  • Push-up: 2x15 with my hands on a bar a little lower than hip level. Still struggling through each set on these. Have to pause and gather strength after about ten and talk myself into completing all 15 reps. But I'm completing them.
  • Seated Row: 2x15 at 60.5# on the first set and 71.5# on the second. Finally on the last set did I start having to really work. It also helped, I think adding a second handle so i could replicate the straight bar that my program asks for. The only straight bar at my gym for this machine is about three feet long. That's just too long when I'm sitting on the floor doing this. Using two handles, though, did a good job of it and allowed me to keep my elbows up more.
  • Step-up: 2x15 at 10# with one level on the step. It wasn't a struggle, but it wasn't easy, either. So the weight will go up next time.
  • Prone Jacknife: 2x8. Getting on the ball was a little more graceful. Still, this one makes me work and breathe hard when I'm done.

Warm up was 11.5 minutes (had to finish the song...) on the treadmill getting my heart rate up to 140bpm and a little stretching. Cool down was about 20 minutes on the treadmill while I waited for the kids to finish swimming. (Thank you, YMCA, for having a pool. It keeps them away while mommy gets her weights on.)

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5/10/2016

Stage 1, Workout B

• Deadlift: 1x15 at 25#. 1x15 at 35#. I warmed up a bit with empty-handed deadlifts. Still not sure if I've got the form right, but I think I'm close enough to do good.
  • Dumbell Shoulder Press: 2x15 at 5#. I can't wait until I can finish the last set without faces and grunts.
  • Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown: 2x15 38.5#. I used the cable machine today. It was dead enough at the gym that I felt confident enough to mess about with the attachments and used the wide bar with two pullies. Without the machine deciding when I stopped, I wasn't sure where to pull the weight down to. I stopped at just under the breast. I'll check the plan and see if that was right.
  • Lunge: 2x15 at 10#.
  • Swiss-ball Crunch: 2x8. I'm almost sure I did them right, but I wasn't nearly as winded or sore after I finished. So I either did them right and I'm improving, or I did them wrong. I, of course, assume I had to have done them wrong.

Warm-up was 10 minutes of treadmill, getting my heart rate up to 152bpm. Had to up the speed a bit to get there, so that's pretty cool. Did a bit of hamstring and back stretching, as well. Cool down was 15 minutes of walking slowly, lowering my heart to about 128bpm.

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5/12/2016

Stage 1, Workout A

• Squat: 2x15 at 45#. The reps dropped on the plan (supposed to be 12), which indicates to me that I should have progressed to more weight by now. I was shaking on my last rep, today, but I'm not sure if that is because I am still weak or if the water aerobics last night and the nerves of having so many people (I was in earlier than usual at a busier time) just messed me up. Next time, I'm adding 5# and see how I go. (Afterwards, I was writing my numbers down and when I went to walk away, there was a twang feeling in my inner right thigh, like where a pant seam would run, but deep inside. My leg didn't want to cooperate for a moment and then it was ok. Have no idea what the hell that was but couple hours later I'm kind of feeling it in the twang spot. No real pain, just feeling it, specifically. Lawd don't tell me I already jacked myself up.)
  • Push-up: 2X12 at hip level. These are easier, so I should go down a few more degrees. Again, reps are lower, so it should be harder.
  • Seated Row: 2x12 at 93.5#. I was so flustered at all the people that I didn't check the weight before I sat on the ground and started pulling. Then felt stupid about it, so finished the reps. But I did it! Why I can do nearly 100 damn pounds on this particular exercise escapes me. But I did both sets at this weight and am proud.
  • Step-ups: 2x12 at 10#. I should have gone up, and frankly, I'm sure I actually did 15 reps per set. These were the first things I did on my workout because there was a bench in the squat rack and so many people. The step was the one thing I could occupy myself with until I figured out who was using what equipment. I definitely need to go up in weight or height. Maybe both since it's pretty damn easy compared to everything else. (I will say that I got nervous about wearing out my thighs doing these before squats, so once I recognized how easy it was, I didn't change anything.) 
  • Prone Jacknife: 0. Too crowded and I was running late for an appointment so I skipped this. I have a ball at home and will try to do them this evening. Will edit this if I do so.

Warm up of ten minutes of walking. Got heart up to 144 bpm. No cool down.

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5/14/2016

So, inspired by sweetale I had my daughter take my photos. My before photos. Honestly, I'm worried about putting these up here because I'm new and I want everyone here to like me. But, ya know, we're all here for the same thing and though I don't have my after pics yet, they'll be here sooner than I think. So, fine, ok, enough stalling, I'll go ahead and put these photos here...

Spoiler

20160514_120626.jpg20160514_120647.jpg20160514_120703.jpg

An explanation of the oddness of my waist: I only have one kidney. It throws my waist out of whack. My spine is just fine, but my weight all pools around the one side. Losing weight will help even me out, but I'll never be normal. I could tell you tales of woe regarding finding pants that work with my body shape.

One day I'll proudly show these photos in the open. But today is not that day.

• Like 1

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

Form Video of Deadlift

I forgot my workout sheet at home, as well as my phone, so I had to do it all by memory.  Doh!

5/14/16

Stage 1, Workout B

• Deadlift: 2x12 at 45#. After the accidental jump in weight on the rows, previously, I went ahead and got out the 45# bar for these. And did it! I started to feel it on the last set, but I think I'll still go up one more, next time.
  • Dumbell Shoulder Press: 2x15 at 5#. Still. But I'm not struggling as hard at the end. Maybe I'll go up to ten next time just to see. The plan was to go only 12 reps, but I did 15 anyway since I wasn't raising the weight. Next time I drop to ten reps, so yeah. 10# next time.
  • Wide-Grip Lat Pull Downs: 2x12 at 38.5#. I had to find the weight I could do since I wasn't sure where I was last time w/o my sheet. I tried the weight right above this one and could only do four pull-downs, so I started again at this weight. I ended up finishing the last rep by going up on my tip-toes and using my body weight to get it down past my bust. It was a reaction without thought. Might have been because I had done about 6 already at a much higher weight and my lats said, "No."
  • Lunge: 2x15 at 10#. Again, w/o my sheet I wasn't sure where I was at. I went with 10# but did 15 reps rather than the 12 I figured I was supposed to do. I call it fair.
  • Swiss Ball Crunch: 2x12. Wasn't sure how many reps it had gone up so I did 12. Turns out the plan called for 10. Go me!

Warm-up was 10 minutes on treadmill and some air squats and stretching. Also did 5 deadlifts with 35# for the form video. Cool down was another 10 minutes on the treadmill.

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5/16/16

Stage 1, Workout A (variation)

• Goblet Squat: 2x12 w/10#. After watching some very interesting videos, I've decided I'd like to do AtG squats which require me stepping back and getting better mobility. I'm swapping in goblet squats for the time being and then will resume regular squats. Hopefully I'll be back to regular squats with my ass to the grass in about two weeks.
  • Push-up: 1x11 and 1x8 at bench level. Fail city. I just can't do these damn things. God, I hate push-ups. I really thought I could do it, too, so I was pissed off when I nearly fell on my face, twice.
  • Seated Row: 1x12 at 93.5#, 1x12 at 104.5#. Pretty pleased at this. However, when I scooted back a little more, it got a lot harder, so I'm going to make sure I'm at a good arm extension when I start. My concern with sitting on the floor in the way is making me scootch closer to the machine.
  • Step-up: 2x12 at 15# at level two on the step. I wasn't sure if I should go up on weight or height and decided to try both and did it.
  • Prone Jacknife: 2x10. Hoowee, these are tough! I really had to work to complete these things.

Warm up was 11 minutes on treadmill getting heart rate up to 144bpm. Then some air squats, hamstring and triceps stretches. Cool down was another 11 minutes on the 'mill bringing heart down to 130pm. Wobbly legs.

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

25 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

5/16/16

Stage 1, Workout A (variation)

• Goblet Squat: 2x12 w/10#. After watching some very interesting videos, I've decided I'd like to do AtG squats which require me stepping back and getting better mobility. I'm swapping in goblet squats for the time being and then will resume regular squats. Hopefully I'll be back to regular squats with my ass to the grass in about two weeks.
  • Push-up: 1x11 and 1x8 at bench level. Fail city. I just can't do these damn things. God, I hate push-ups. I really thought I could do it, too, so I was pissed off when I nearly fell on my face, twice.
  • Seated Row: 1x12 at 93.5#, 1x12 at 104.5#. Pretty pleased at this. However, when I scooted back a little more, it got a lot harder, so I'm going to make sure I'm at a good arm extension when I start. My concern with sitting on the floor in the way is making me scootch closer to the machine.
  • Step-up: 2x12 at 15# at level two on the step. I wasn't sure if I should go up on weight or height and decided to try both and did it.
  • Prone Jacknife: 2x10. Hoowee, these are tough! I really had to work to complete these things.

Warm up was 11 minutes on treadmill getting heart rate up to 144bpm. Then some air squats, hamstring and triceps stretches. Cool down was another 11 minutes on the 'mill bringing heart down to 130pm. Wobbly legs.

Pushups are one of those things that can either totally make you feel strong, or make you feel totally weak.  I've been there, trust me.  I've fallen on my face multiple times, where your arms literally fail you and you can't catch yourself.  When you develop some more strength and you can do pushups easily (it'll happen, just trust me!), you will feel like a total boss.

The beautiful thing about pushups is that you can get better at them.  You just need to do epic amounts of them.  Couple that with losing a little weight, and you'll find them soo much easier.

I'd recommend doing pushups multiple times a day, even if it's just a couple.  They add up, and your body will begin to adapt.  I'm super pumped to see your already amazing progress.  I look forward to following along on your journey!

• Like 1

All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.

Current Challenge

1 hour ago, ORazor said:

Pushups are one of those things that can either totally make you feel strong, or make you feel totally weak.  I've been there, trust me.  I've fallen on my face multiple times, where your arms literally fail you and you can't catch yourself.  When you develop some more strength and you can do pushups easily (it'll happen, just trust me!), you will feel like a total boss.

The beautiful thing about pushups is that you can get better at them.  You just need to do epic amounts of them.  Couple that with losing a little weight, and you'll find them soo much easier.

I'd recommend doing pushups multiple times a day, even if it's just a couple.  They add up, and your body will begin to adapt.  I'm super pumped to see your already amazing progress.  I look forward to following along on your journey!

Well, you are not wrong. I'm gonna take your advice, even though it is assigning myself torture, and will do at least 5 push-ups at least once every day. Because as much as I hate them, I really want to be better at them. I want to be that boss! Thank you! For the advice and encouragement!

• Like 1

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

Well, you are not wrong. I'm gonna take your advice, even though it is assigning myself torture, and will do at least 5 push-ups at least once every day. Because as much as I hate them, I really want to be better at them. I want to be that boss! Thank you! For the advice and encouragement!

That's the spirit! The more you do, the better you will get!

All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.

Current Challenge

5/18/16

Stage 1, Workout B

• Deadlift: 2x12 at 50#. Woot! After taking in advice and watching Alan Thrall's video over and over (for educational purposes, obviously) I think I have a better understanding of it. For the first time I felt it in my abdominal area when I pulled up. I'll record myself next time. Hopefully by then I'll be doing it with an Olympic bar, since I'm up over the base weight of it. Woo hoo!
  • Dumbell Shoulder Press: 2x12 at 10#. Finally went up on that. It was hard, but just as hard as the first time I did it with 5s, so improvement!
  • Wide-Grip Lat Pulldowns: 2x12 at 49.5#. These don't count. I figured out I'm not doing these right using the equipment I have. So I'll need to go down on weight in order to get the bar down as low as my thighs on the cable machine I'm using. Ah, well. Rather I work the muscles for real instead of just having an ego boost.
  • Lunge: 2x12 at 15#. Another bump up in weight! Wicked tough, but I did it.
  • Swiss-Ball Crunch: 2x10.I know. I did 12 last time. But this time my abs were still a tiny bit sore from the jacknifes, so I just did the required 10. 

Warm-up was just some stretching and marching in place. I tried the treadmill but I ended up on a malfunctioning one that was at a slight downward tilt. Unless I was willing to run ( I wasn't) I couldn't get my heart rate past 125bpm. So I bailed.

Next workout begins the second half of stage one and is now 3 sets. Excited and nervous about sums it up. 

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5/21/16

Stage 1, Workout A, modified

• Goblet Squats:
    • 1x12 w/10# I'm still sorta following the program with these and didn't realize the reps had dropped again.
    • 2x10 w/10#
  • Push-Up:
    • 1x5, bench level
    • 1x7, bench level
    • 1x10, bench level Hit all the reps on this one. Looks like I need to find a push-up warm up to do before I start my sets.
  • Seated Row:
    • 3x10 w/93.5#
  • Step Up:
    • 3x10 w/15# at level 2. This didn't feel challenging enough toward the end and I need to up the height, I think. I also wasn't sure what to do with three sets since each set is one leg. So I switched legs on the third set, doing 20 reps, 10 each leg. Need to figure that one out better. 
  • Jacknife:
    • 2x10
    • 1x12 Did these at home since it was super crowded at the gym and the ball was in use. Gym was closing in ten minutes, anyway. So I had to do them 30 minutes after my workout and not intermix them with the Step-up.

Only did a 5 minute warmup on the treadmill, but got my heart up to 146bpm. I was in the last hour of the gym and felt rushed. There were also a lot of people in the weight area and I felt really thrown off.

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5/23/16

Stage 1, Workout B

• Deadlift:
    • 3x10 at 55# Woohoo! But now I really have to make sure I am comfortable with using an olympic bar because 55# is the end of line for the weighted barbells. Training wheels are going to have to come off and I need to start working with plates. Gah!
  • DB Shoulder Press:
    • 1x10 at 15#
    • 1x8 at 15#
    • 1x10 at 10#  I really tried to push myself on this. Couldn't quite make it all the way through, but I know it's just around the corner, now.
  • Wide-Grip Lat Pull-Down:
    • 1x12 at 27.5#
    • 2x10 at 38.5# Did these correctly, finally. Making sure I pushed the bar all the way to my thighs. Tough, but I made it through on the higher weight.
  • Lunge:
    • 3x10 at 15#   When I switched to using my right leg out in the second set, my sciatica in my left butt cheek flared with each time I came back up. Super painful. I finished, but the third set I did five on each side and it still hurt. And, worse, kept hurting for a few moments after, making me stand at the weight rack hoping I wouldn't have to call for help to move. Then it went away and didn't come back. 
  • Swiss-Ball Crunch:
    • 3x12

Took a long time to try to cool down and the backs of my arms burned. I had to keep hugging myself to get the burn to stop. I need to stretch much more after lifting, I think. Especially now that I'm trying to push a little harder than I had.

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5/25/16

Stage 1, Workout A, variation

• Goblet Squat:
    • 3x10 at 15#
  • Push-Up:
    • 3x10 at top of thigh height. Did these at home since I'm having a tough time finding a place to do them at a the gym.
  • Seated Row:
    • 3x10 at 93.5# Still fine tuning these so didn't increase weight, but I think I've figured out exactly how to set the cable machine and myself up to do them correctly.
  • Step-Up:
    • 2x10 w/15# on level 3 of the step.
    • 1x5 w/15# on level 3of the step.
  • Prone Jacknife:
    • 3x12. Also done at home.

Warmed up on treadmill then did squat-to-stands and reverse lunges with twist to stretch.

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5/27/16

Stage 1, Workout B

• Deadlift:
    • 1x3 at 45#
    • 1x3 at 55#
    • 3x10 at 75# THIS WAS A GLORIOUS MISTAKE! I messed up on my plate math and thought I was lifting 60#! Ha!
  • DB Shoulder Press:
    • 1x15 at 15#
    • 2x10 at 10# Had to come down. Arms just weren't having it today.
  • Wide-Grip Lat Pull-Down:
    • 3x10 at 38.5#
  • Lunge:
    • 3x10 at 15# Sciatica started up again when I switched to right leg forward. As soon as I racked the dumbells, it stopped.
  • Swiss Ball Crunch:
    • 3x12

Ten minute warm-up on treadmill, then some squat-to-stand stretches. Also had to stretch arms in between switching from shoulder presses to pull-downs a few times. No burning during cool-down, so that might have helped. That and the shoulder press weight was a tad lighter.

• Like 1

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

MEASUREMENTS (monthly)

in inches

5/30/16                       +/- last month

Waist 28.5                    =

Hips 43                          -1

L Bicep 15                    -.5

R Bicep 14.5                 -.25

L Thigh 25                    =

R Thigh 25.25              +.25

Chest 28                       error in measuring

Body Fat % 31.6          -2 points

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5/30/16

Stage 1, Workout A, modified

Workout was done at home.

• Goblet Squats:
    • 3x10 at 10#
  • Push up:
    • 3x10 at top of thigh height.
  • Seated Rows: n/a
  • Step-up: n/a
  • Jacknifes:
    • 1x6
    • 2x15

Warm up was dancing, but I don't think I did it enough. I was sluggish and unmotivated today. Probably didn't activate the right mental trigger since I was in my office and not at the gym.

I need to figure out what to do, though, since the last days of school are this week. Kids being home today completely threw me off. I need to get a plan together so I can continue my program through the summer.

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

6/2/16

Stage 1, Workout B

• Deadlifts:
    • 1x5 at 45#
    • 1x5 at 55#
    • 1x5 at 75#
    • 3x8 at 80#
  • DB Shoulder Press:
    • 3x8 at 15#
  • Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown:
    • 3x8 at 38.5#
  • Lunge:
    • 2x8 at 0#
  • Swiss-Ball Crunch:
    • 3x15

Did a 5 minute treadmill warm up and was able to get my heart up to 146bpm. Order of the lifts was wonky due to peoples.

1. Shoulder press
  2. Lunge
  3. Deadlifts
  4. Pull Downs
  5. Crunches.
  • Like 1

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

6/4/16

Stage 1, Wrkout A, modified

• Goblet Squat:
    • 3x8 at 15# dbs
  • Push-up:
    • 3x8 at under-hip height Still super tough to do these. Ugh.
  • Seated Row:
    • 1x8 at 93.5#
    • 2x8 at 104.5#
  • Step-up:
    • 3x8 at 15# on level 3 of step
  • Prone Jacknife:
  • Like 1

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile