• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wilkymouse

Wilkymouse returns

I started out a couple of years ago successfully completing my first challenge, then tried a couple of more times and never finished one again.  So, here I am again, because why not try again?

Ultimate Goal

More strength and flexibility (not only physically, but emotionally and mentally as well).  Get down to under 160lbs and stay there.  I've been between 165-170 for a couple of years now after starting at 180 and weight loss is part of health for me at this point.  This doesn't have to be accomplished in this challenge.

Diet/Fitness

Yoga

Yoga 3 times per week

I bit the bullet and bought Nerd Fitness Yoga.  Since I spent money on it, I'll actually be using it (funny how that works).  I am a giant ball of stress and have been for way too long.  I was venting to a friend one day who said something like "I don't really believe in all that meditation stuff, but maybe you could benefit from it."  That combined with self-awareness of my anxiety kind of sealed the deal that I needed some exercise as a form of relaxation.  Thank goodness for Nerd Fitness yoga.
Plan is 3 full sessions per week.  I used to be really flexible, but I'm bumping myself down to beginner level to start.  So Water and Yin Yoga stretching sessions for this challenge.  I'll adjust as needed, but I just hope to be able to get through the sessions in their entirety even at the lowest level by the end of this challenge.

Beginner Bodyweight Workout

BBWW 1 time per week

I've started challenges in the past with a higher number of times per week and this is the part that always has me failing.  I want to get stronger, but I never feel like doing this workout (partly because it means waking up early enough to warm up, work out, and shower).  I'll be happy to commit to 3 sets once a week and go up in the future.  I love the workout, but I set the bar too high in the past.  It feels like I'm setting it really low with my grading, but making myself start at all is half the battle.

Meal Prep

Meal prep only 1 or 2 times per week with healthier eating.

My wonderful boyfriend decided to do the Renessaince Performance cut diet, which is great, but since I've been the main food buyer and preparer in the house since I moved in, I'm stuck cooking and portioning everything.  I know if it's not prepped, he's likely to give in and buy lunch or eat cereal for dinner, plus it's good for me because it's got me going back to focusing on eating veggies and protein with some healthy fats and carbs.  Why would I make extra work and make something completely different for myself?  I'm having some fun with the templates, but we started May 1 and I've had to go to the grocery store every night because we were so ill-prepared.  I want to do a Costco run each weekend, then prep on the weekend for the whole week or at least prep most on the weekend and then small additional prep halfway through the week.  It would make things easier, less time consuming, and less expensive.  Plus, I want to stick to the healthier eating because it's good for me and so we're both motivated to be healthier.

Life

Do one thing per week that's just for me (and not tv/movies) for at least an hour per week

Work is taking over my life to the point where every day is get up, get ready, drive to work, work for 10-12 hours, come home, cook, watch tv, sleep, do it all over again.  Weekends are devoted to chores and time with bf/friends/family/animals.  I like vegging out too much and I have interests and hobbies and potential hobbies I haven't been doing because I'm burnt out.  So, I want an hour total of me-time activities that don't include a screen.  There are so many options: reading, writing, crochet, piano, violin, archery, motorcycle (I still have yet to brave the roads alone).  It doesn't have to be an hour all at once, but it has to be at least 15 minutes in each sitting.  It sounds so simple, but it's been a struggle for me.

Grading

Yoga:  

A: 3 sessions every week and able to get through sessions in their entirety

B: 3 sessions every but unable to get through sessions in their entirety

C: Minimum of 2 sessions a week

D: Less than 2 sessions a week

F: Less than 1 session a week

BBWW:  

A: 1 session per week with 3 sets (breaks are okay)

B: 1 session per week with at least 2 sets

C: 1 session per week with at least 1 set

D: Part way through 1 set of 1 session per week

F: Not even trying

Meal Prep:  

A: Maximum of 2 meal prep days a week, maximum of 4 meals a week that are non-prepped (basically going out for anything including ice cream)

B: Maximum of 2 meal prep days plus one mini prep day, maximum of 5 meals a week that are non-prepped

C: Maximum of 3 meal prep days, maximum of 5 meals a week that are non-prepped

D: Maximum of 4 meal prep days, maximum of 6 meals a week that are non-prepped

F: Anything more than 4 meal prep days and 6 meals a week that are non-prepped

Me-time:  

A: 1 hour per week, at least 15 minutes each sitting

B: 1 hour per week, sittings are less than 15 minutes

C: 45 minutes per week

D: 30 minutes per week

F: Less than 30 minutes per week

Edit:  Officially starting the challenge May 8, 2016.
         Stats: Height - 5'10"

Weight - 167lbs

• Like 2

Awesome goals! I particularly like the hobby's one. I find them to be incredibly important, especially with a stressful job. May I promote crochet, so much fun, so versatile :) Also, woodworking is my personal fav lol

• Like 1

I've been crocheting for a few years now and my yarn stash is so big that I started some other yarn crafts.  Thank goodness enough of my friends recently had/are having babies so I have spoiling the kids as an excuse to crochet :)  Woodworking sounds fun, but I'd need a lot of help getting started since my knowledge of tools is quite limited.

16 hours ago, wilkymouse said:

I've been crocheting for a few years now and my yarn stash is so big that I started some other yarn crafts.  Thank goodness enough of my friends recently had/are having babies so I have spoiling the kids as an excuse to crochet :)  Woodworking sounds fun, but I'd need a lot of help getting started since my knowledge of tools is quite limited.

Yay for tons of yarn! I love making hodge podge blankets of whatever colors I have lying around. Always seems like they have great character. Good luck on your goals they look awesome.

• Like 1

Your challenge looks great to me - I especially like the bodyweight workout component and the plan to find more time for yourself. The job hours sound rough - I've definitely been in jobs like that and even when it's work I love doing, I find it taxing to have so little time for other things. Hopefully it's a temporary situation and your hours will come down to a more reasonable level soon.

• Like 1

Wilkymouse, loving your goals. 

"Education isn't free" that's what I thought of about you buying yoga.  You really do learn, do more when you put effort into something. 

I myself am a stress ball. Sometimes I don't realize I've been stressing until I look at the clock and it's 2 in the morning and I got into bed at 11.   Best wishes!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Severine said:

Your challenge looks great to me - I especially like the bodyweight workout component and the plan to find more time for yourself. The job hours sound rough - I've definitely been in jobs like that and even when it's work I love doing, I find it taxing to have so little time for other things. Hopefully it's a temporary situation and your hours will come down to a more reasonable level soon.

Thank you!  I like the bodyweight workout.  It always makes me feel like I've pushed myself, even if I have trouble getting through it.  
I should be working from 9am-6pm, but that never happens.  I'm usually not home until 9 or 10 at night.  Everyone knows I'm looking for something else, partly because the hours are killing me.  Hopefully the meal prep will give me a little more time during the week though.

11 hours ago, Butternut said:

Wilkymouse, loving your goals. 

"Education isn't free" that's what I thought of about you buying yoga.  You really do learn, do more when you put effort into something. 

I myself am a stress ball. Sometimes I don't realize I've been stressing until I look at the clock and it's 2 in the morning and I got into bed at 11.   Best wishes!!

That's a great way to look at it!  And I know that stress feeling at night.  Hope you get some relief too.

11 hours ago, Jessebel said:

Great goals! I like how you included time for yourself. It is something that I need to consider. 

You've got this!

A lot of us probably need more time for ourselves, especially meaningful time.  I'll keep updating on that me-time and how it works/if it helps.

Day 1 of the challenge officially started.  Yesterday I went out to run some errands and ended up buying myself some workout clothes...they were Captain America and Iron Man so I couldn't resist.  Got something of each because I can't pick a side still (no movie spoilers!  We're waiting too watch it to avoid opening weekend crowds...even though I was all for dealing with all the people).

Put on the new workout gear and did the Water Level A yoga video this morning.  It kicked my butt!  I think part of it is that I don't have a yoga mat at the moment so I was sliding around, especially on downward dog.  But I did the full video.  2 more to go this week!

No BBWW yet.

Meal prep has hit a slight snag.  We were supposed to go to Costco yesterday to get food, but I don't have a membership card and my bf got home later than expected.  And neither of us realized the store closed at 6pm.  So, we've got to make it there today.  Hopefully that gets sorted out because otherwise I'll have to spend a lot more at a regular grocery store instead of buying in bulk.

On another note, my cat is obsessed with being around me when I exercise.  When I was doing yoga, he was rubbing up against me the whole time.  Bonding time I guess?  I got a picture when I was finishing up in corpse pose.  Nice to have a workout buddy, haha.

h0pUUs4

• Like 2

First 2 days were decent, but I'm going to need to work on some things, specifically the meal prep component.

Sunday:  Did yoga (Water A), bought a bunch of meat and veggies and other good stuff at Costco.  So, we should have enough food for the week, but cooking it and putting it together is another story.  That night, I prepped enough carbs for the whole week (pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes), but that's unfortunately the easy part.  Made 6 stuffed peppers, 4 salads, 4 servings of tuna fish mixed with avocado and cucumber, 3 chicken/veggies/carb meals, and a small bowl of extra ground beef.  We both have about 5 small meals throughout the day (not including breakfast, which I'm not prepping), so I succeeded in like 2 days worth of food?  Not good.  

And 2 cheat meals Sunday - I counted all the free samples at Costco as one and then we went to get the best ice cream in the world at the creamery in our town, so, worth it.

Monday: Left work "early" (which means and hour and a half after I should be leaving) and came home to find a box on the stairs.  It was my Nerd Fitness yoga mat!  So, of course, the first thing I did was Water Level A yoga.  Not perfect, but much improved.  My feet weren't sliding everywhere with the mat, but I'm having trouble keeping my heels down in downward dog.  She'll say "pick your heels up" and I'm going "they're already up!  What am I doing?"  Slight improvements are fine.  I wasn't expecting to master anything this challenge.  I have a feeling I might go beyond my yoga minimum for the week, but I'm fine with that.  Gotta get the bodyweight workout in...maybe tomorrow morning.
I had to do more meal prep because we needed enough food for today.  I'm getting a little creative, so that's fun.  Made italian-seasoned chicken with a little pasta and tomato sauce (only 2 servings because cooking bulk amounts of chicken in this toaster oven is killing me) and this one-dish chicken/brusselsprouts/sweet potato/apple meal, which came out decently and made 3 servings for each of us.  It usually has bacon though, so the lack of bacon made me a little sad. That's 8 more meals made...but many more needed for the week.

I think I need to edit the meal prep to only be for Monday-Friday (workweek).  That's 50 mini-meals total for the 2 of us, which I should be able to do in two sessions if I plan better.  Looks like this week I'll need at least 3 or 4 meal prepping sessions.  I need to go to the grocery store for lettuce and spinach at least on my way home tonight.  Maybe I'll come up with some other food ideas to make enough meals for the rest of the week.  I just kind of wish I wasn't on my own with the cooking and portioning.  We also need more tupperware and to clean out the fridge completely to be able to store everything for a week.  

It's funny how the food challenge is the most daunting part to me right now.

• Like 1

Ok, all that food sounds delicious! I'm jealous. Your food prep is actually quite inspiring to me, I'm not very good at it lol. Keep it up! Seems like you're on the right track :) 

3 minutes ago, ironmeg said:

Ok, all that food sounds delicious! I'm jealous. Your food prep is actually quite inspiring to me, I'm not very good at it lol. Keep it up! Seems like you're on the right track :) 

To be honest, it's all a little bland and a little dry because of the lack of fats, do I'm working on that.  I feel like the more ingredients used in the description, the fancier/more appetizing it sounds, so it's somewhat to trick my brain.  It's hard to believe that only a few years ago I couldn't make much besides mac and cheese, french toast, and anything microwaveable.  Yay adulting!

• Like 1

The meal prep sounds like a hell of a lot of work! Ignore this if it's too personal a question, but if you wish you weren't on your own for the prep, is it possible you could take turns? or even just get a second pair of hands when you're doing it so it goes faster and you can make more stuff?

2 hours ago, Severine said:

The meal prep sounds like a hell of a lot of work! Ignore this if it's too personal a question, but if you wish you weren't on your own for the prep, is it possible you could take turns? or even just get a second pair of hands when you're doing it so it goes faster and you can make more stuff?

The problem is that if I don't do it, it won't get done unfortunately.  He does a lot around the house, but I let myself get pigeonholed into being the cook when I wasn't working a couple of years ago.  He's really set on doing this RP strength thing and I want to see him succeed, so I'll do what I can.  Plus, it's good for both of us.  In theory, it should be easier if both of us do it because it's slightly different amounts of the same foods.  It also is a pain trying to get him to offer up any suggestions or sit down and plan, which isn't making it any easier.  I hate to complain so much...

I'm just hoping next week will be slightly easier after having done this for a week.  Maybe I'll push for a little extra help, even if it's just measuring his food or something.  He did help unload and load the dishwasher so we had enough tupperware tonight, so that was nice!

• Like 2

Yesterday was a little meh.  

One of the girls at work finished her internship, so there was ice cream cake, which I was pressured to have.  I never felt peer pressure to eat unhealthy until this job, and that might be because it's my bosses, not my peers pressuring me whenever there's any sort of cake/sweets/pizza for whatever reason.  So, there goes cheat meal 3.  I need to save the rest for the weekend though or I'll miss out on ice cream and a non-home-cooked meal.

I didn't get to the grocery store last night, which was fine, except I didn't cook everything I wanted to for the rest of the week because of it.  I've still been cooking every night which is exactly what I did not want to do.  Definitely need to figure this out for next week.  I think I have almost enough meals for myself, but I need to make sure he has enough for the next 2 days.  These mini-meals are a nightmare and I need to get this figured out if it's going to happen for the next 3 months.  I feel confident that I can, but I hope I do it soon!

No exercise yesterday.  I've been sick for well over a week now and cannot stop coughing.  The sneezing has gone down, but my nose is still relatively stuffy and I'm constantly coughing.  That counts as an ab workout, right? ;)  Basically, I chugged some children's allergy medicine last night so I wouldn't be awake all night and it worked, but it knocked me out pretty well and I woke up later than intended, so no workout this morning either.  Good thing I didn't go for the real stuff I guess!  Hopefully I'm not at work too late tonight...

I am sticking to eating healthier though, which isn't directly one of my goals, but it's a good thing.  And, on a whim, I stepped on the scale this morning and it said 164.  I can't take that too seriously, but it's nice to see a number below 165!

Now to figure out that me time.  That might be pushed to the weekend unfortunately.

• Like 1

I wish I had some good suggestions to offer about the meal prep. It does sound frustrating, but also so valuable that I definitely understand why you want to keep doing it. It's awesome that he does a bunch around the house (yay fairness!) but if you truly dislike cooking, maybe something to put on your long-term radar is how to adjust that division of tasks. It's cool for one person to do the cooking if they like it, but if both people dislike it, a more even split might be more sustainable long term, even if it's months before reality allows you to contemplate actually making the switch over.

One thing that really comes to mind is this - do you have all the tools you need for the kind of cooking you're trying to do? I know cooking got a lot easier at my house once we actually had the right sorts of pots and pans and good quality roasting pans and such for the stuff we were trying to cook.

The other thing is probably dumb and unhelpful, but here you go: personally I like to eat a lot of "meals" that are actually super simple collections of individual foods. Like a common lunch for me might be a can of tuna, an apple, a few walnuts, a few raspberries, and a whole zucchini (which I just eat like a cucumber or whatever). It's maybe a bit boring, but it's all tasty stuff and it means that preparing lunch is just throwing a bunch of stuff in a box. If you could find some simple stuff that both of you liked, it might make things faster.

Anyway, feel free to ignore all of this! I'm sure you'll figure it out soon :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Severine said:

I wish I had some good suggestions to offer about the meal prep. It does sound frustrating, but also so valuable that I definitely understand why you want to keep doing it. It's awesome that he does a bunch around the house (yay fairness!) but if you truly dislike cooking, maybe something to put on your long-term radar is how to adjust that division of tasks. It's cool for one person to do the cooking if they like it, but if both people dislike it, a more even split might be more sustainable long term, even if it's months before reality allows you to contemplate actually making the switch over.

One thing that really comes to mind is this - do you have all the tools you need for the kind of cooking you're trying to do? I know cooking got a lot easier at my house once we actually had the right sorts of pots and pans and good quality roasting pans and such for the stuff we were trying to cook.

The other thing is probably dumb and unhelpful, but here you go: personally I like to eat a lot of "meals" that are actually super simple collections of individual foods. Like a common lunch for me might be a can of tuna, an apple, a few walnuts, a few raspberries, and a whole zucchini (which I just eat like a cucumber or whatever). It's maybe a bit boring, but it's all tasty stuff and it means that preparing lunch is just throwing a bunch of stuff in a box. If you could find some simple stuff that both of you liked, it might make things faster.

Anyway, feel free to ignore all of this! I'm sure you'll figure it out soon :)

That's really helpful.  I've kind of been trying to do that with the "throwing a bunch of stuff in a box" method, but the protein is the tough part.  I'm so tempted to buy coldcuts, but he's right that that would get expensive.  I just need to spend a few hours over the weekend cooking all the meat for the week.  It has been nice to have the carbs ready to go so I can just scoop them into a container.  Hopefully I'll get it down soon.

We have the tools that we can afford at the moment...we need a new stove and oven.  Right now we've got a toaster oven and a stove that only works half the time, so that adds to the cooking stress.  I'm used to it now, but imagine how much easier and faster cooking can be!  And I've actually come to really love cooking, especially since we tried paleo a while ago and I had to get creative and learn a lot.  I don't mind the cooking itself, but combined with the planning, prepping, portioning, and storing, it's a little hectic, especially with work and anything else.

I'm confident I can figure this out and really appreciate the suggestions!

• Like 1

So, I maybe overestimated my time, ability, and health when I estimated overdoing the yoga.  I wasn't feeling up to exercising last night by the time I got home, especially knowing I'd have to cook too.  I just wanted to relax and veg out in front of the TV, but I remembered the me-time goal and hopped on the piano that I'm lucky the previous house owners left behind.  Nothing special, just some of the fake easy books, but I played piano for about 40 minutes without even realizing how long I'd spent.  I wish my younger self had been so ambitious when I should have been practicing all those years ago.  Still 20 minutes to go, but it was a nice break where my brain didn't feel neglected.  Now I want to dig out my violins...

I did get to the grocery store for lettuce, spinach, bananas, and many cans of tomatoes.  Made taco meat that I used for taco salads, which were pretty good!  I can see that being a regular thing to make since it's pretty simple and versatile.  

Still have to get in BBWW, which I have to force myself to do tomorrow morning I think and another yoga session.  I know I'll be cooking again tonight, so meal prep has kind of been a bust, but I'm count it as a learning process.  20 more minutes of me-time (hopefully more) and this week is in the bag!

• Like 1

Following! This is inspiring to read.

Meal prep sounds like a pain in the neck. Not sure if you're a fan of Japanese cooking but have you considered making bento boxes? Fiancee and I discovered the joys of Japanese cuisine: it's delicious and has more protein than you first think. And most importantly it's EASY to make. Only issue is that there is obviously a lot of rice and noodles...

And jealous of your musical abilities :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kvedulf said:

Following! This is inspiring to read.

Meal prep sounds like a pain in the neck. Not sure if you're a fan of Japanese cooking but have you considered making bento boxes? Fiancee and I discovered the joys of Japanese cuisine: it's delicious and has more protein than you first think. And most importantly it's EASY to make. Only issue is that there is obviously a lot of rice and noodles...

And jealous of your musical abilities :)

It's funny that you mention bento boxes...I was just thinking yesterday of when we used to order bento box lunches at my last job and how perfect those would be for this!  I would honestly be happy with stir fry every meal, but he doesn't quite share my enthusiasm for Asian cuisine.  Maybe I just need to take the general idea and tweak it.  

Thank you for the suggestions!! 

And my musical abilities flourished more when I was in college and joined pep band as the only electric violin the school's probably ever had.  It was the kick I needed...and now I'm wanting to learn more instruments.  Kicking myself for not taking my mom's old clarinet or letting one of my exboyfriends teach me drums.  Oh well, plenty of life left to try more instruments!

P.S. - Just went over to follow your challenge.  I'll have to check it when I get home from work later, but I'll definitely be following you too!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Butternut said:

Oh good for you. Glad you hopped on the piano and did that.  You've inspired me to keep to my goals!

:)

believe me, everyone else on the forum is helping inspire me too. 

Yesterday was a bit of a mess, but tried to make lemons out of lemonade. My bf's dad closed his restaurant about a month ago, so last night we went a few towns over to visit and accept his offering of dozens of bottles of leftover booze. We barely drink, so those will last forever. I'm glad we went to see his dad, but I went almost directly from work and it was almost 9:30 when we left. I did not want to meal prep and cook dinner after that. 

So, we went to Chick-fil-A for a late dinner since we were both well overdue to eat. Technically a cheat meal, but we both had salads that were essentially the same ratio of proteins/greens/fats/carbs we would have eaten anyway. So, that's #4 cheat for the week (have a feeling I'll be going over 5), but it's not a bad one looking at the details. 

We got home after 10:30, and I had everything except proteins ready. So, I stuck some chicken breasts in the oven and went to the bedroom to read some Walking Dead comics while the chicken cooked and he watched tv. I was asleep in maybe 5 minutes. Oops! Good news is it's a toaster oven, so nothing burned. Bad news is, he fell asleep on the couch. I woke up around 2:45 and dragged myself to the kitchen to put together meals as quietly as possible. He woke up when I was finishing up and he wasn't upset, but I felt bad waking him up. We both went to bed then. 

Unfortunately, that screwed up my sleep, so I was waking up every hour. I finally just got up right after he left and decided I might as well do the BBWW. So I took the dog out and ran around with him a bit to warm up, turned on Smash Mouth radio on Pandora, and got to it. I almost stopped after 2 sets, but pushed through #3. Now to shower and drag my butt to work. 

In summary:

-2/3 yoga sessions done

-BBWW done

-meal prep is a mess, but still eating healthier than before even when I screw up 

-40 out of 60 minutes of me-time done 

I can definitely accomplish A level on everything except meal prep this week. And I'm okay with that. Just need to get through work today now... 

• Like 2