Moork310's 5/8-6/4 Battle Log

So I accidentally started my logging in another forum. Here is the link: accidental log if someone wants to read it. I am so excited to start this challenge!  

Today I turned in my thesis! I am so excited to almost be done with my masters program. I still have a few papers and my oral final but I am almost there!!!!!

• Like 1

Adventurer "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R. R. Tolkien 

Challenge 5/8-6/46/12-7/7

False log start

Here are my goals for this upcoming challenge :adoration:

Diet

• Reduce fast food consumption by 50%
  • Substitute one sugary coffee drink per day for black coffee or tea

Fitness

• Walk every day (5 minutes) - this could even be in the form of standing up at your desk and walking around the office

Level up 

• 5 minutes of meditation every day
  • Like 1

False log start

Hello and welcome to the Adventurers! 

You have some good beginner goals here and this is a great way to start to make these things a long and lasting habit. I'll be following your progress, good luck with your challenge! 

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

14 hours ago, deftona said:

Hello and welcome to the Adventurers! 

You have some good beginner goals here and this is a great way to start to make these things a long and lasting habit. I'll be following your progress, good luck with your challenge! 

Thanks Deftona! I figured I should start with the basics :)

• Like 1

False log start

Today I did the last practice for my oral exam and it went pretty well. Then I went early and was able to go bouldering after. It is so awesome to go to climbing early. I was able to figure out a climb that I have been struggling with and I got to rock my Wash lives t-shirt. So far my idea of just trying at least one climb every day has really worked out. Especially since the indoor rock climbing gym is around the corner from my house and I have gotten over worrying about what other people think about when it comes to the amount of time I climb or the level I am climbing at. I'm still hanging out at the VB and V0 level but it is still a lot of fun to challenge my body. My climbing buddy being unable to go to the gym has really helped me work on my anxiety around going to the gym alone. 

Update on my challenges even though the challenge has not started yet.I have been rocking my cutting down sugary coffee drinks challenge which I thought I would struggle with more. In regards to my fast food challenge I am still struggling with cutting back because I am not preparing my food in advance. I am going to try doing prepping meals to see if this helps me cut back.  Walking 5 minutes has been a piece of cake  but I struggle with remembering to meditate everyday. 

I almost forgot to add that I have actually been able to start eating more food which is something I struggle with because of time and not preparing meals before hand. I also lost 1lb which of course is just a start and may come back but it is still nice to see a small change. I'm not planning on focusing on my weight to measure my progress but I will keep making a note of it. I am going to use my climbing as a form of measurement because I will actually be able to see my progress through the climbs that I am able to do.

• Like 1

False log start

So this week has been rough with my challenge because it has been a very stressful week. The good news is that I defended my masters last week and that I passed!!!!! 

Diet

• Reduce fast food consumption by 50% --> I have had fast food everyday this week :/ Stress eating has been an issue lol
  • Substitute one sugary coffee drink per day for black coffee or tea--> I have been able to stick to this one and no coffee drinks besides black coffee!!! Yay :)

Fitness

• Walk every day (5 minutes) - this could even be in the form of standing up at your desk and walking around the office--> I am definitely doing well at this :)

Level up 

• 5 minutes of meditation every day--> I have been struggling with this one but I am definitely going to make an effort to do this at night because I will be more likely to do it. 

I still think I can turn it around next week with my fast food intake. Things should be less stressful now that I am done with my presentation. I also think it will be helpful if I update everyday. 

• Like 1

False log start

Congratulations on your masters degree! And great work on drinking less sugar and getting in more activity at work. 

Good luck for next week on the rest of your goals, I'm sure you'll turn it around! 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

23 minutes ago, E_Mo said:

Indoor bouldering is also my main form of exercise. Just started going about 6 months ago. It's such a great feeling when you are working on a route and try many times and finally get it. 

Are you noticing changes in your body?

Also congrats with defending your thesis!! That must be such a relief!!

Thanks! I am very relieved. I am noticing an increase in my ability to do different holds and my stamina. I haven't noticed any change in my physique but that can also be attributed to the fact that I haven't really changed my diet. I am happy that I have gotten over some of my anxiety around bouldering. It is rewarding and I can do it on my own. I usually hate to do things by myself but I am now slowly working on it.

• Like 1

False log start

On 5/14/2016 at 2:56 PM, deftona said:

Congratulations on your masters degree! And great work on drinking less sugar and getting in more activity at work. 

Good luck for next week on the rest of your goals, I'm sure you'll turn it around! 

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the feedback :adoration:

False log start

I wasn't very productive on Sunday but I'm OK with that because I was able to start fresh today. I was very productive today with my school paper work that needed to be finished up. I was also able to go climbing with my best friend. We really challenged ourselves and it was really rewarding to see that we hadn't fallen as far behind on our climbing as we thought we had. The real success today was me not eating any fast food today!!! Ready Snack Bistro Salads really helped me out and the sargento balanced break snacks. I was very proud of myself today with my climbing and my eating. I was inspired by Steve's email today and removed my social media from my phone. I still have the apps on my tablet but I think I will still reduce my use of the apps. 

Sunday's Update

Diet

• Reduce fast food consumption by 50%--> Went to Wendy's after my fiance's baseball game.
  • Substitute one sugary coffee drink per day for black coffee or tea--> Still no sugary coffee drinks.

Fitness

• Walk every day (5 minutes) --> Did this.

Level up 

• 5 minutes of meditation every day--> Didn't meditate

Today's update

Diet

• Reduce fast food consumption by 50%--> NO FAST FOOD!!!!!
  • Substitute one sugary coffee drink per day for black coffee or tea--> Still no sugary coffee drinks.

Fitness

• Walk every day (5 minutes) --> I walked a lot today :)

Level up 

• 5 minutes of meditation every day--> Will do after this update :)

• Like 2

False log start

It felt really weird today  when woke up because I couldn't look at facebook/instagram/snapchat like I usually do before I get out of bed.  I actually got out of bed faster because of  this and was able to get all my morning routine done quickly. I even had time to make lunch! Another change I made this morning was to watch Tedtalks while getting ready instead of the usual Supernatural/Bones reruns. It was a nice change of pace and I felt like I was actually learning something.  Also I lost 2 lbs which is a great motivator to continue doing well!  I've noticed an increase of strength when I was bouldering today as well :adoration: Fiance is making dinner now so I'm going to go spend some quality time with that cutie :)

Diet

• Reduce fast food consumption by 50%--> No fast food today :)
  • Substitute one sugary coffee drink per day for black coffee or tea--> Maybe this goal was too easy.

Fitness

• Walk every day (5 minutes) --> This goal also could have been too easy.

Level up 

• 5 minutes of meditation every day--> I am going to do this right before bed like I did last night. It really helped me fall asleep easier.
  • Like 2

False log start

On 5/18/2016 at 10:47 PM, moork310 said:

Also I lost 2 lbs which is a great motivator to continue doing well!  I've noticed an increase of strength when I was bouldering today as well :adoration:

Substitute one sugary coffee drink per day for black coffee or tea--> Maybe this goal was too easy.

Congrats on the lbs! Always a great feeling when you see the first changes after you start your challenge.

Feel free to change your goals if they get too easy. If you are doing awesome at substituting one sugary drink 80% of the time, maybe it is time to change it to eliminate 2 sugary drinks or only drink coffee/tea/water. If 5 mins of walking per day is too easy, start thinking of 5 minutes twice a day or 10 mins per day. It is pretty awesome to accomplish your goals and then some!

Hope things keep going well!

Level 6 Halfling Adventurer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/8773

On 5/20/2016 at 7:08 AM, E_Mo said:

Congrats on the lbs! Always a great feeling when you see the first changes after you start your challenge.

Feel free to change your goals if they get too easy. If you are doing awesome at substituting one sugary drink 80% of the time, maybe it is time to change it to eliminate 2 sugary drinks or only drink coffee/tea/water. If 5 mins of walking per day is too easy, start thinking of 5 minutes twice a day or 10 mins per day. It is pretty awesome to accomplish your goals and then some!

Hope things keep going well!

That is a really good idea because I have been getting really bored with my goals aside from my eating fastfood goal. That goal has been the biggest challenge. I will really have to review my goals. 

• Like 2

False log start

Update: Everything has been going well recently. I have been super busy with planning the wedding and tying up lose ends with school. I was recently recognized at work for doing well at my job. The director and I discussed my future as a therapist with the company which would be awesome. i really believe in the mission of the company and I love the environment. I recently went to a training on eating disorders which emphasized loving every body type and buying clothes that fit. This was a mind blowing idea because I have always been resistant to move a size up if I have to because I hate gaining weight but I realized that wearing clothes that does not fit just makes me feel horrible about myself. I immediately went to the mall and buy clothes that fit and i have been feeling better about my body since that training. I'll do a new update after I review my goals and make changes. 

• Like 2

False log start

19 hours ago, moork310 said:

Update: Everything has been going well recently. I have been super busy with planning the wedding and tying up lose ends with school. I was recently recognized at work for doing well at my job. The director and I discussed my future as a therapist with the company which would be awesome. i really believe in the mission of the company and I love the environment. I recently went to a training on eating disorders which emphasized loving every body type and buying clothes that fit. This was a mind blowing idea because I have always been resistant to move a size up if I have to because I hate gaining weight but I realized that wearing clothes that does not fit just makes me feel horrible about myself. I immediately went to the mall and buy clothes that fit and i have been feeling better about my body since that training. I'll do a new update after I review my goals and make changes. 

Congrats! The mental aspect is half the battle. 

How is wedding planning going for you?

• Like 1

Level 6 Halfling Adventurer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/8773

On 5/24/2016 at 8:40 AM, E_Mo said:

Congrats! The mental aspect is half the battle. 

How is wedding planning going for you?

Wedding planning has been going great! We are going to have it at a Christmas tree farm. I am really excited to be married to my fiance. 

• Like 1

False log start

I am back from my vacation with my fiance! We went to Vegas for his baseball tournament. They made it to the championship but lost. It was really fun to meet new people and visit some of my family that live out that way. I was able to go swimming and relax all weekend. I had my last class of my graduate program today! I am so excited to have more time for myself. I have decided to keep my goals the same for this challenge and I will personalize my goals for the next challenge more appropriately for myself. 

Diet

• Reduce fast food consumption by 50% ---> After charting my meals I have realized that I actually have been cutting down my fast food consumption by not going out to eat for breakfast. 
  • Substitute one sugary coffee drink per day for black coffee or tea ---> I have not had any sugary drinks in the past 2 weeks. 

Fitness

• Walk every day (5 minutes) - this could even be in the form of standing up at your desk and walking around the office. ---> I have been rocking this. 

Level up 

• 5 minutes of meditation every day ---> Definitely struggling with this one but I downloaded the headspace app and set up reminders. 
  • Like 1

False log start

I have been reading the Steve's book Level Up and I have completely change my goals. I will also update my character's story soon. 

Diet

• Reduce fast food consumption by 50% ---> Though I have cut down by not eating fast food for breakfast I do not feel that I did not earn the full 5 exp I set aside for this goal. This goal will move over onto my next goals.
  • Substitute one sugary coffee drink per day for black coffee or tea ---> I have gave myself the full 5 exp for this goal. 

Fitness

• Walk every day (5 minutes) - this could even be in the form of standing up at your desk and walking around the office. ---> I gave myself full 5 exp for this goal. 

Level up 

• 5 minutes of meditation every day ---> I struggled with this goal and will also be moving it toward my next goals. 

My basic feelings about this challenge can be seen below...

wzOJM.gif

• Like 1

False log start

There are a bunch of people here who have had issues with the 5 minute meditation goal. I wonder what it is that makes it so difficult...Maybe next challenge, do a meditation PVP or Accountability group! 

You did great for your first challenge! A lot of people try to do too much, get frustrated, and walk away. Even if you didn't hit all your goals, you made progress and learned what worked and what didn't. Good job!