Greetings from the Great State of Salty Lakes!

Hello all! I stumbled upon NF after finally deciding to take my military fitness test seriously. I am about to become an officer so I need to really get my butt in gear and lean up. I have always been a bit hefty. I realized that I needed help getting into shape because my routing for the past 14 years just isn't cutting it anymore. I have spent thousands of hour slogging around the park and on treadmills with no positive change in my overall body composition. As I age I just seem to keep getting fatter! I have been inspired reading through the success stories on this site. I love the natural approach and the emphasis on fun and eating right. My goal for the military is to score a 90 on my next PT test. My goal body weight is 185, I am starting off at 212. I am 5' 8. The lowest weight I ever got to (at 18) was 174. Personal goals are to be able to with in the year knock out 20 pull-ups, and some day to complete an ultramarathon. Anyway I guess that is enough about me.

Thanks for all the inspiration and advice!

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.â€

― Thucydides

Welcome to NF!

First, congratulations on getting motivated to get in shape. Since you are about become an officer, you need to be able to lead by example. You can not expect the men and women you lead to meet and exceed the standard if you can not live up to it yourself. When it comes to PT, your guys should have to be trying to keep up with you, not the other way around. That being said, it sounds like you have a great attitude and I'm sure you'll have no problem meeting your goals.

What branch's PT test are you taking? I'm currently serving in the Army and I take great pleasure in helping my fellow soldiers improve their APFT scores, so feel free to ask away if you have any questions. Otherwise, best of luck and let us know how you're doing.