Sterre tries to do better

sterre

Week 2, Day 2 Update

I still didn't get around to doing everything. I ended up spending a fair bit of time not just cleaning, but actually organizing the apartment (I finally emptied our box of books and put them somewhere) and then I let looking around for work run into getting anything else done (I didn't find anything that was super suitable to apply for).

Quest 1: Yoga

I got a long yoga session done (daily stretch routine, sun salutations, standing poses, yoga for abs, seated stretches). (2/5 yoga sessions this week)

Quest 2: Run

Rest day. (1/3 runs this week)

Quest 3: Diet

Food tracked and within the correct range of calories.  (2/6 days tracked)

Quest 4: Poi

A little poi. (5/30 minutes of poi)

Life Quest: Drawing

No drawing. (0/150 minutes of drawing)

Today, I'm definitely going to go draw since I plan on going to the life drawing session. But first, I'll go for a run, get some yoga done and all that. I'll try to get some poi in, but the weather doesn't look so promising right now so I don't know for sure.

• Like 3

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: Current, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

I'm considering running this race. It's a 10 k race and it's rated "toughest" (it's been quite a while since I've run 10 km in one go). It's also a fund raising race and I don't know a bunch of people here so I'm not sure how that will go.

I am, however, really tempted by the challenge. And it's not until November so I have tons of time to prepare.

I think I will sleep on it, but it's pretty tempting.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

And since I'm online and have all the calories I'm going to consume for the day accounted for...

Week 2, Day 3 Update

I got stuff done, but I really need to get on doing poi.

I got a short yoga session done (daily stretch routine, yoga for runners). (3/5 yoga sessions this week)

I ran 3 km in 18 minutes, 43 seconds. (2/3 runs this week)

Food tracked and within the correct range of calories.  (3/6 days tracked)

No poi. (5/30 minutes of poi)

Lots of drawing. This life drawing session wasn't as good as last week's because in the first half, the model was doing all kinds of crazy poses that were super hard to draw, then in the second half it was her and another model and drawing two people is surprisingly difficult (it would have been better if they hadn't decided to entwine their limbs as much as they did so I could have picked just one to draw). I'll take sketchbook pictures and try to get those up tomorrow.  (100/150 minutes of drawing)

• Like 3

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

3 hours ago, sterre said:

I'm considering running this race. It's a 10 k race and it's rated "toughest" (it's been quite a while since I've run 10 km in one go). It's also a fund raising race and I don't know a bunch of people here so I'm not sure how that will go.

I am, however, really tempted by the challenge. And it's not until November so I have tons of time to prepare.

I think I will sleep on it, but it's pretty tempting.

Do it. You have six months to prepare, there's no way you wouldn't be ready by then.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 5/18/2016 at 3:36 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Do it. You have six months to prepare, there's no way you wouldn't be ready by then.

19 hours ago, Waanie said:

The run looks beautiful, and it might be a nice way to get to know some other runners in your area :). It will take quite a lot of training, but I'm sure you can do it!

14 hours ago, Briniel said:

Do it! The view looks fantastic. They even have a 10k training plan that might be worth looking into. And it's for cancer. You have to go if it's for cancer ;)

Okay, I signed up. Eeeeeee....

I also made a donation page, since they made it easy to do after signing up for the race, but I have to personalize it.

• Like 3

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Week 2, Day 4 Update

I got a long yoga session done (daily stretch routine, sun salutations, standing poses, yoga for arms, seated stretches). Much yoga. (4/5 yoga sessions this week)

Rest day. (3/3 runs this week)

Food tracked and within the correct range of calories.  (4/6 days tracked)

No poi. (5/30 minutes of poi)

I spent half an hour drawing self-portraits. I tried timing them so I'd spend 15/10/5 minutes on each in an attempt to make myself draw a bit faster. I might try again with some even shorter times and the like (I was also trying to do things like draw my face without using all the lines to orient myself, which is super difficult). (130/150 minutes of drawing)

• Like 3

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Yay, you're going to run! 

How do you usually choose which yoga you're going to do that day? I like doing yoga, but choosing what to do often causes me a lot of stress. Since you're often doing a lot of yoga, I thought it might be a good idea to ask you ;).

Go start hitting those poi goals, and you'll have a perfect week 2!

28 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Yay, you're going to run! 

How do you usually choose which yoga you're going to do that day? I like doing yoga, but choosing what to do often causes me a lot of stress. Since you're often doing a lot of yoga, I thought it might be a good idea to ask you ;).

Go start hitting those poi goals, and you'll have a perfect week 2!

I basically use the routines from the fourth week of this 30 day challenge, except that I add a yoga for runners session on run days. I definitely tried to mix it up several challenges ago, but I find that I'm not quite as good at doing it consistently when I mix things up. :S

And yes, I do have to get out and do some poi. I plan on doing some within the next hour or so, as long as doesn't start raining again.

• Like 2

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

4 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Thanks for the link! I also find it hard to be consistent when mixing things up, since looking for a nice session also takes time and will power. It's nice to have something standard to fall back on :).

Yeah, I also quite like this set of routines since there's a reasonable amount of variety for the longer sessions.

• Like 2

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Week 2, Day 5 Update

I got a short yoga session after my run (daily stretch routine, yoga for runners). (5/5 yoga sessions this week)

I ran 4 km in 26 minutes, 7 seconds. This time I didn't stop at all and I made a loop at the end, incorporating a slightly steeper hill into my run (I also ran up some steps and down a ramp that I didn't have to). I figure that I need to learn to love hills so I might as well work on that and I'm happy that I avoided stopping or walking.  (3/3 runs this week)

Food tracked and within the correct range of calories.  (5/6 days tracked)

No poi, it was raining when I thought to go out. (5/30 minutes of poi)

No drawing. (130/150 minutes of drawing)

So today, I should do some poi (even if I have to do it in the stairwell because it's rainy) and get some drawing in. I have some yoga scheduled, which I'll definitely do as well.

I'm thinking of incorporating some additional strength training into my routine so I can try to get better at running (right now, my strength training is basically just yoga), but I'm not sure when the best time to do that is. I might aim to do a bit of calisthenics toward the end of long yoga sessions (just before I do the seated stretches portion). It will be a bit weird to break up the yoga, but doing it toward the end that way means that I won't be too tired to hold my yoga poses earlier on. I'll also be warmed up for other exercises and the seated stretches would give me a good cool down and stretch (since those basically stretch all my limbs).

• Like 2

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Try the NF bodyweight workouts from the blog for strength. You are doing great on your goals.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

20 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Try the NF bodyweight workouts from the blog for strength. You are doing great on your goals.

That's how I started strength training almost 2.5 years ago. It's not the most efficient program to get stronger, but it's simple, quick and you just try it until you can complete it. Also, it is heavy on the legs, which is probably beneficial for your running. 

There's plenty of other bodyweight programs out there, my favourite is startbodyweight, but you do need a pull-up bar or a place to do pull-ups for that. Otherwise, I think you're fine if you alternate running days with strength days. If you do your strength training during your yoga sessions, you should take care to not exhaust yourself too much during your yoga, but I think yoga is a nice warming up :). I like to warm up with a few sun salutations and leg swings, but then, I have never been known for doing proper warming ups.

Good work on the 4km run, and hopefully the weather will be better at your place than over here :).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I've definitely gone through periods of trying the BBWW... for some reason, I never manage to make it a habit though. I tried doing the one listed here (under section 3) today and it wasn't too bad, though one-legged squats are not really something I can do and I only really fit in one set.

1 hour ago, Waanie said:

That's how I started strength training almost 2.5 years ago. It's not the most efficient program to get stronger, but it's simple, quick and you just try it until you can complete it. Also, it is heavy on the legs, which is probably beneficial for your running. 

There's plenty of other bodyweight programs out there, my favourite is startbodyweight, but you do need a pull-up bar or a place to do pull-ups for that. Otherwise, I think you're fine if you alternate running days with strength days. If you do your strength training during your yoga sessions, you should take care to not exhaust yourself too much during your yoga, but I think yoga is a nice warming up :). I like to warm up with a few sun salutations and leg swings, but then, I have never been known for doing proper warming ups.

Good work on the 4km run, and hopefully the weather will be better at your place than over here :).

heh, pull ups are among those "things I should learn to do at some point". And yeah, I'm not sure if I'm really much for proper warm ups either usually. My running warm ups are mostly just walking to wherever I'm going to run.

• Like 1

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Don't be worried about the single leg squats and pull ups, they are something you have to work up to. With free weight training, you usually start very light and add more and more weight. Similarly, with bodyweight training you should start with relatively easy exercises, and progress to harder exercises.

For example for pull-ups (which are considered to be very hard, especially for women), you can start with putting a chair under the bar and letting your legs assist. After that, you go to negatives, followed by just the upper half of the pull up. If you can do those easily, you can also do full pull ups. There's the same kind of progression for one legged squats, push-up variations, etc.

It mostly depends on what you enjoy: I love setting new personal bests, so I try to progress quite slowly, but progress every training. I don't go to exhaustion and my heart rate seldomly breaks the 120, since I don't enjoy that. If you enjoy "giving it all" and to have your blood pumping, then training similarly to what you did this afternoon is more suitable to you. Just make sure to include a pulling movement such as inverted rows as well, to balance out the pushing. You're elbows and shoulders will love you for it ;).

Sorry for the wall of text, I hope you'll find a program you enjoy :).

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Don't be worried about the single leg squats and pull ups, they are something you have to work up to. With free weight training, you usually start very light and add more and more weight. Similarly, with bodyweight training you should start with relatively easy exercises, and progress to harder exercises.

For example for pull-ups (which are considered to be very hard, especially for women), you can start with putting a chair under the bar and letting your legs assist. After that, you go to negatives, followed by just the upper half of the pull up. If you can do those easily, you can also do full pull ups. There's the same kind of progression for one legged squats, push-up variations, etc.

It mostly depends on what you enjoy: I love setting new personal bests, so I try to progress quite slowly, but progress every training. I don't go to exhaustion and my heart rate seldomly breaks the 120, since I don't enjoy that. If you enjoy "giving it all" and to have your blood pumping, then training similarly to what you did this afternoon is more suitable to you. Just make sure to include a pulling movement such as inverted rows as well, to balance out the pushing. You're elbows and shoulders will love you for it ;).

Sorry for the wall of text, I hope you'll find a program you enjoy :).

Yeah, I actually thought that putting single leg squats was a bit ambitious in that routine. I mean, I get where they're going with those, but it's definitely not a beginner move.

• Like 1

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Week 2, Day 6 Update

I got a long yoga session done (daily stretch routine, sun salutations, standing poses, standing balances, seated stretches). (6/5 yoga sessions this week)

Rest day.  (3/3 runs this week)

I was tracking food, but then I went to the bar and did not succeed in tracking drinks.  (5/6 days tracked)

I got in lots of poi! I spent 10 minutes working on preparing to do flowers (my left hand needs way more work than my right) and then another 10 minutes working on split time butterfly and generally playing with planes. I basically didn't feel like going outside so I did some short poi moves that I could do inside. (25/30 minutes of poi)

I spent 20 minutes drawing a portrait of Salma Hayek (I totally just picked a random celebrity to Google) which didn't really end up looking like her. Bleh. (150/150 minutes of drawing)

Week 2, Day 7 Update

So I'd sort of stayed up quite late drinking Friday night and ended up just taking it easy on Saturday. This is actually fine by me, even though I'd scheduled a bonus run, a rest day probably really didn't hurt.

No yoga. (6/5 yoga sessions this week)

Rest day.  (3/3 runs this week)

I did not end up tracking food.  (5/6 days tracked)

No poi. (25/30 minutes of poi)

No drawing. (150/150 minutes of drawing)

Week 2 summary

Quest 1: I did quite well again, getting one extra yoga session in. 6/5 yoga sessions (A++)

Quest 2:  I got all of my runs and met my planned distance. 3/3 runs (A+)

Quest 3: Well, I tracked my food most days at least. I guess I have to do a bit better when I go out.  5/6 days tracked (A)

Quest 4: I didn't quite make my goal, but I ended up being pretty close this week. 25/30 minutes of poi (A)

Life Quest: I met my drawing goal. 150/150 minutes of drawing (A+)

All in all, the week wasn't perfect, but it didn't end up being too bad. My weight seems to be slowly moving in the direction I want, but weighing myself every day I notice that it fluctuates a lot (maybe some days I eat a lot of salt or something so then I retain fluid and weigh more the next day? I don't think it's possible to gain e.g. 0.9 kg in 24 hours otherwise). It's also not really decreasing as fast as I'd like, but that actually doesn't bother me so much as long as the trend remains basically in the right direction.

• Like 3

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

1 hour ago, sterre said:

All in all, the week wasn't perfect, but it didn't end up being too bad. My weight seems to be slowly moving in the direction I want, but weighing myself every day I notice that it fluctuates a lot (maybe some days I eat a lot of salt or something so then I retain fluid and weigh more the next day? I don't think it's possible to gain e.g. 0.9 kg in 24 hours otherwise). It's also not really decreasing as fast as I'd like, but that actually doesn't bother me so much as long as the trend remains basically in the right direction.

Good job on week 2 and congratulations on the weigh loss! There are a lot of things that influence the amount of water you're holding, from eating more salt/carbs to how much you work out and hormone balances. Especially around my period, my weight (and waist measurements) go up, but it goes down again during my period. 

• Like 1

Well done on all those A's, you continue to do really well.

• Like 1

Sorry I disappeared for a bit. Time to catch up!

Week 3, Day 1 Update

Uh, I did not actually do anything challenge-related. I climbed Arthur's seat again with my partner and went down in a somewhat terrifying way which left my legs feeling like jelly.

Week 3, Day 2 Update

Daily stretch routine, yoga for runners. (1/5 yoga sessions this week)

I ran something like 5 km (maybe? being on a trail makes it hard to tell) in about half an hour.  (1/3 runs this week)

Food tracked and within the correct range of calories.  (1/6 days tracked)

No poi. (0/30 minutes of poi)

Week 3, Day 3 Update

Daily stretch routine, sun salutations, standing poses, yoga for abs, seated stretches. (2/5 yoga sessions this week)

Rest day.  (1/3 runs this week)

Food tracked and within the correct range of calories.  (2/6 days tracked)

...and day 4 is in progress so I'll update that one later.

• Like 3

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

13 minutes ago, Epsilon said:

Yeah, trails are a bit tricky because one can't really accurately measure the distance on Google Earth. :wacko: I hope you had fun, though!

Great job sticking to your diet and running for 5 Km non-stop! :)

Well... it wasn't quite non-stop. I stopped around the turn-around point and ran back (which is sort of where I got the idea that I might have stopped too early). Getting the right distance is mostly an issue because there aren't really any landmarks that show up on maps so I'll map the run, then go to run it and realize I'm not sure where to turn around or whatever. I'll obviously try to do fix it a bit more since I have a better idea of how it goes, but I might also try increasing my 5 km run distance to just be 6 km so I can double back on the trail at a point where it hits a road (which is a much clearer landmark). I was thinking of getting some sort of GPS device to help, but there's enough of a canopy of leaves over my route that I don't think it will work (maybe in the fall it will?).

Running on the street is definitely easier for distance measuring because intersections make for great landmarks.

Oh, and I think that when I'm a bit better at running hills, I'll try doing laps around Holyrood park again (I tried back in January, but was defeated by the really long, moderately steep hills). It's not super close to my place, but it's definitely a place I can walk to easily enough.

Week 3, Day 4 Update

Daily stretch routine, yoga for runners. (3/5 yoga sessions this week)

I ran 3 km in 18 minutes, 7 seconds. I'm really getting to enjoy my little 3 km route. I'm definitely getting faster (a few weeks ago it was consistently over 19 minutes) and I think I'm getting a bit better at managing the big-ish hill.  (2/3 runs this week)

Food tracked and within the correct range of calories.  (3/6 days tracked)

Obviously, more drawing and poi need to happen. I think I've been a bit down this week for various reasons though so I'm just being a bit lazy.

• Like 2

Level 9 Amazon Druid
Battle Log

Yay on better run times :). For walking in the forest, I have good experiences with Strava on my smartphone. For running I have not really figured out how to take my smartphone with me, I only could come up with inside my sportsbra. The sock trick from the internet did not work for me, and I don't own a fancy case for around my arm.