• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Crossfit Games: The Open

First two rounds of this were nice and easy. Paced myself well and was feeling good about the movements. 

Third round was a son of a bitch. Got no repped twice on the C2B and just lost a ton of time. Those pull ups take a ton out of you. 

Finished up with a score of 74. Not too pleased but not entirely pissed. 

I did better than I expected! I got 62 reps! I weigh 290# so this was huge for me, I got the last C2B just before the 3 min mark... Anything over 40 was going to be a bonus, and it was. Good job to everyone else, definitely not an easy WOD.

I did it! Got a PR OHS today, then repeated it for a total of 2 reps in 14.2. Woot!

From now on, I scale OHS in WODs rather than subbing FS.

Dave Castro hasn't defeated me yet!

14.3: Bring it on!

• Like 2

Nice, all! 115. I totally cratered on the first 14 C2B. I got no repped 5+ times on that last C2B.

I did all the OHS unbroken, and they were super easy. Yay strength cycles! But C2Bs totally owned me in the 3rd round.

Also, if you have mobility problems, look into olympic shoes.

I was afraid I would register a 0 this week. As last month we were working on OHS and I was using a 45# empty bar and managed to do 55 a couple of times, but my partner wasn't familiar with the  movement so I wasn't sure if I got to the proper depth. I managed to eek out 5 RX OHS today. Pretty excited about that. For some reason I really like the OHS even though I'm not very good at it.

Petekeller: What mobility issues do the Olympic shoes address? I can't afford the shoes and wonder if there is something I can work on to be able to do them without the oly shoes. I borrowed some for 14.2 and it totally made the difference. I don't think I could have done it without them.

Petekeller: What mobility issues do the Olympic shoes address? I can't afford the shoes and wonder if there is something I can work on to be able to do them without the oly shoes. I borrowed some for 14.2 and it totally made the difference. I don't think I could have done it without them.

Weightlifting shoes raise your heel .75"-1.5", which changes the angle for your ankles. This allows your knees to push farther past your feet, allowing you to get deeper in to a squat. 

You need to do a ton of mobility/lengthening of  your achilles tendon if you want to get the same functionality without the shoes. 

I've suggested this before and been lightly flamed, but you can put 2.5# plates under your heels in a pinch. Of course this isn't a great technique for Oly, but for squats it works fine.

I only got 5 reps when I attempted 14.2 on Saturday. I have bad shoulder mobility and have difficulty locking my arms out in the overhead position. I guess 5 reps at 95lbs isn't bad when my previous OHS PR was around 65lbs.

Going to give it another go this afternoon and try to hit 6 reps!

• Like 1

Weightlifting shoes raise your heel .75"-1.5", which changes the angle for your ankles. This allows your knees to push farther past your feet, allowing you to get deeper in to a squat. 

You need to do a ton of mobility/lengthening of  your achilles tendon if you want to get the same functionality without the shoes. 

So it's achilles mobility I need to work on? I've been working a lot on the hips and knees. At the bottom of the squat withough the squat I feel like I am being pulled back. I can't figure out how to counter it. With the weightlifting shoes it pushes me forward just enough to be able to do it.

I've suggested this before and been lightly flamed, but you can put 2.5# plates under your heels in a pinch. Of course this isn't a great technique for Oly, but for squats it works fine.

I have been using the plates the last couple of weeks for squats. I just don't really have any option like that at home. However it isn't a good option for the oly lifts and I'd kind of like to work on them.

I only got 5 reps when I attempted 14.2 on Saturday. I have bad shoulder mobility and have difficulty locking my arms out in the overhead position. I guess 5 reps at 95lbs isn't bad when my previous OHS PR was around 65lbs.

Going to give it another go this afternoon and try to hit 6 reps!

Alvin 5 sounds pretty good considering your previous PR. 30lb jump? Nice.

I'm so impressed by all of you guys!  So many PRs!  That's what I love about the Open: it's put up or shut up and pushes you outside of your comfort zone.  You all are so inspiring!

I ended up with my score from Thursday (44) standing.  The headache came back when I tried it again yesterday and I had to bail at 36 reps.  There were a couple of medical massage therapists at the workout yesterday who took a look at it, and they think that it's extremely tense neck muscles.  I'm taking this week off to try and rehab a bit.  PT and massage scheduled.  Here's hoping I'm back in fighting form by Sunday to run 14.3.   :black_eyed:

I'm so impressed by all of you guys!  So many PRs!  That's what I love about the Open: it's put up or shut up and pushes you outside of your comfort zone.  You all are so inspiring!

I ended up with my score from Thursday (44) standing.  The headache came back when I tried it again yesterday and I had to bail at 36 reps.  There were a couple of medical massage therapists at the workout yesterday who took a look at it, and they think that it's extremely tense neck muscles.  I'm taking this week off to try and rehab a bit.  PT and massage scheduled.  Here's hoping I'm back in fighting form by Sunday to run 14.3.   :black_eyed:

Hope you feel better Niccolo. I had a friend who suffered from migraines while running and it was because of her tense neck muscles as well. PT really helped her with that issue.

I didn't end up beating my score of 5 for 14.2. I did a WOD with a bunch of push presses on Sunday so that probably didn't help with the OHS on Monday. I wonder what 14.3 will be? i'm guessing burpees of some sort!

This is just shitty programming from CF HQ. Want to see 10,000 people all hurt their back at once? Tell them to do 20+ reps of deadlifts for time. 

Everyone, please be safe. Tell your judges to scream at you if your lower back starts to round at all

• Like 1

This is just shitty programming from CF HQ. Want to see 10,000 people all hurt their back at once? Tell them to do 20+ reps of deadlifts for time.

Everyone, please be safe. Tell your judges to scream at you if your lower back starts to round at all.

QFT

Sent from a phonical device. Please excuse the shortness

• Like 1

Everyone, please be safe. Tell your judges to scream at you if your lower back starts to round at all

Oh, there's going to be LOTS of lower back rounding.

Because CF HQ is known for placing the safety of their athletes first...

That's why one must pass a rigorous 2-day Level 1 course prior to opening a CrossFit box.

All CF HQ bashing aside, I'd like to make it into the 275# round on this. We'll see. I'm planning on doing this either before or after my olympic session tomorrow morning. Should be interesting.