• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Crossfit Games: The Open

Well, 14.4 went down just as I thought.

I rowed the 60 cal in just over 2 mins, and then the TTBs were tough- but I broke them into singles from the start. I did sets of 10 singles, rested 3-5 breaths, then got back on it. And I did that the whole way through. Wallballs I broke into sets of 10, and cleans I broke into sets of 5. I finished the cleans with a bit over a minute left. I took 3 attempts at the muscle-ups, and failed all 3.

So, 180- and I am happy there.

Froning is such a machine.  Good luck with this one guys.  I don't envy anyone who's going to try and do this torture.  

Something went wrong with my lower back on the first set of thrusters and I spent the rest of the workout babying it. That was an uncomfortable experience...probably should have just stopped. Oh well.

20:03

I did it! 21:25.

I'm very proud of that score. My plan for the thrusters three sets -- 8-7-6, 7-6-5, etc. then two sets starting at 9. I basically stuck to that plan; went 8-7-6, 5-5-5-3, 6-5-4, 5-4-3, 5-4, 6, 3. The round of 18 was hardest for me, both in terms of being forced to break the thrusters and the 18 burpees took me even longer than the 21. But from there I picked up steam and plowed through.

W00t!

Finished in 24:32. Broke up the work into sets of 3 (3 sets of 7, 3 sets of 6, etc). Was nice, because every successive round was less work!

Was convinced to give "Annie" a shot afterwords and did a set of 40 unbroken DU's, which is a PR for me!

Well this has been fun. I just wish that, since CrossFit supposedly prepares you for everything you encounter in life, they could test that preparedness with their programming a little better. I understand that the nature of the Open makes this difficult, but it can't be that hard to incorporate running, for example. Something you're a lot more likely to do in life than anything else, save deadlift/squat/shoulder-to-overhead.

So, the reason for no running is that it's too variable. In order to properly track it, you'd need to have your judge running alongside you while continually showing a clock and the pedometer at the same time. That and the fact that running a mile in nova scotia is different than running a mile in nigeria. It'd be too hard to test and judge. 

So, the reason for no running is that it's too variable. In order to properly track it, you'd need to have your judge running alongside you while continually showing a clock and the pedometer at the same time. That and the fact that running a mile in nova scotia is different than running a mile in nigeria. It'd be too hard to test and judge. 

Find a local track. And if you're referring to differences in altitude, that's already a factor in cardio-centric events in the current format.

I was proud to finish 14.5 in 27:25.  Something I never could have done 6, heck, even 3 months ago.  So just finishing it was a big deal for me.  And wow was it hard...  Glad I did the open, it was a good challenge, and now I have a whole year to improve before the next one.

Very happy to see this... much better than some of the other "max rep" comps i've seen associated with CrossFit before.  I just watched a video (i think it was 2013) of Froning doing 315 1RM on the overhead squat  but that was after progressing through rounds of 3 reps starting at 275lbs & muscle-ups afterwards.

I think 400 should be doable for these guys

Sorry for the thread necro, but this needs a bump.  The first 15.x Open workouts will be showing up at the end of the month, and I want to know if anyone is signing up for it or even just aiming to complete them with your box.

I'm pretty new getting back into the swing of things with Crossfit so I didn't sign up (...yet...) but I'm definitely hoping to jump on the bandwagon when my box does the workouts as a class.

I'm signed up for this year, like I have been for the past two.  Here's my page.   My first year, I was VERY unprepared and was just happy to register scores.  Last year, I wanted to do better, but I got injured in the middle of it, so my scores didn't really improve.  So, this year, knock on wood, I want to go in and do so much better than I have the last couple years. 

Looking forward to seeing if any other NF family are signing up for this!

• Like 1

Really?  That's awesome!!!  Where do you go? 

And don't be scared!!!  I was mortified my first time, but it's more of trying to push against yourself and what you think you can do than competing against others, unless you are actually trying to make it to Regionals.  Just go into it to have fun.  :D

• Like 1

What do you guys think we're looking at for WODs this year?  I think burpees are always a safe bet, and maybe some pistols.

Here's a link to WODtv's video of Lucas Parker speculating on possibilities in the 2015 season.