Crossfit Games: The Open

Well we're in the same boat there, virtualmonkey.  I RX'd the OH squats and they were easymode, but the C2Bs weren't even on the table today.  So I took the RX score and dropped down to do the scaled workout with everyone else.  At least I got a WOD in after all was said and done!

Here's to hoping 15.3 is a bit more beginner friendly...

• Like 1

I did 15.2 on Thursday and only got 37 reps rx'd. I broke up the work too much and missed getting the last 3 pull ups.

I decided to do it again today, even though I came down with a cold last night. I ended up completing the first set with 30 seconds to spare and getting a round of the 12s for a total score of 64. That is a 20 rep PR over last year since this was the workout that I was injured in. Yay for improvement!!

• Like 1

...  I suspect the burpees are still coming.  At least they aren't like to repeat 14.5 after this past week.

5e6f885ffa6316214a78465d2b3d5f24e70bb927

Doing my last intro class to crossfit tomorrow night, really cool to see so many competing! I'm hoping to do it next year!

I said that two years ago, chickened out last year, and am now sad I didn't do it sooner. It's such a great challenge!

15.3 and still no burpees!

Julie Foucher was an absolute animal on those muscle-ups, and as fit as her competition was, completely looked like a rock star the whole workout.  I had actually put my money on Brooks before the workout was announced, expecting some kind of power WOD with max-rep something-or-other, but I was hoping Foucher would take the workout.  It was awesome to see Camille there too!

Anyways, since muscle-ups aren't even on the menu for me yet, I'll definitely be scaling this one.  At first thought and without consulting my coach, I'm thinking I'll break my wall balls into 10s or 15s and save most of my go juice for annihilating the single skips which I'm slowly becoming adept at.

It's going to be 14 minutes of Hell and I'll probably be going to that same dark place that Brooks mentioned, but it'll be worth it.  RX'ing 15.2 brought my spot on the leaderboard up some 10,000 and I'm hoping that my 15.3 score does me no worse!

The downside to workouts like this is that there are plenty of very fit people out there who probably can't nail 7 muscle-ups, so they'll opt for the scaled and absolutely annihilate the workout.

I'm just aiming to stay on task, keep moving, and pay attention to my breathing.  Lots of hip mobility work before hand and away we go!

Well, I did it. 539 reps, scaled. As ever with these kinds of AMRAPs I was a bit disappointed, as just a few more wall balls would have gotten me loads more reps in a short time from the skipping. Tactics tactics tactics! Despite telling myself to break up the wall balls early, I did too many reps in a row....will I never learn? :)

I definitely suffered from trying to do too many wall balls at once. If I did it again I'd start off by breaking the wall balls into sets of 10 and putting the ball down in between those sets for a few seconds...then breaking the single unders into sets of 100 at first and 50 later on. Once the wall balls start feeling really hard, break them down into sets of 5, and so on....

I built up a big lactic debt in the first few minutes and didn't really recover!

Muscle ups would've given me a breather. As I can't do them (yet!), 15.3 was scaled. Still a scorcher.

Normally I automatically break my wall balls into 15's, but I felt good the first round. 

20-15-15 [jump rope, 2 misses], 15-15-10-10 [jump rope, 3 misses], 10-10-10-10-10 [jump rope 0 misses]

Moral of the story: DO NOT squat heavy the day before 150 wall balls... especially when you have a very hilly run scheduled for the day after. My quads hate me.

Tackled 15.3 today, and it was nasty.  Survived though, and I'm pleased enough with my score compared to my progress in only two months.

Also helped judge for the first time today and apparently my counting and enthusiasm helped nail a better score than Friday!

Bring on 15.4 now.

• Like 1

The 20# wall ball didn't bother me, I don't like the lighter balls I have trouble controlling them ie they usually miss the wall or go an extra foot high. Most of my 100 wb's on Friday hit the 10' mark simply b/c that's what I'm used to doing in class and it just became a rhythm. I was excited I didn't have a single no rep on the wbs. 

Way to go everyone on this workout!  You all did awesome!

I was thrilled with my performance in 15.3, since I didn't think I was going to get any muscle-ups.  My skill with those is spotty at best.  I got my first muscle-up in a year about two weeks ago, so I didn't go in with high hopes.  I figured that I'd give RX'd a go and then do the scaled for my score.

Instead, I hit my first muscle-up attempt and was able to get three more after that before my technique went down the drain.  4 muscle-ups is the most that I've ever been able to do in a day!  Woo hoo for getting an RX score and a PR!

• Like 2

Way to go everyone on this workout!  You all did awesome!

I was thrilled with my performance in 15.3, since I didn't think I was going to get any muscle-ups.  My skill with those is spotty at best.  I got my first muscle-up in a year about two weeks ago, so I didn't go in with high hopes.  I figured that I'd give RX'd a go and then do the scaled for my score.

Instead, I hit my first muscle-up attempt and was able to get three more after that before my technique went down the drain.  4 muscle-ups is the most that I've ever been able to do in a day!  Woo hoo for getting an RX score and a PR!

Great job, muscle up is still a distant dream, one day I'll get it hopefully. I was getting close before I had to sit out for 6 months with a wrist injury, pullups gradually improving again....

• Like 1

15.4 is up!

RX'd

Complete as many reps as possible in 8 minutes of:
3 handstand push-ups
3 cleans
6 handstand push-ups
3 cleans
9 handstand push-ups
3 cleans
12 handstand push-ups
6 cleans
15 handstand push-ups
6 cleans
18 handstand push-ups
6 cleans
21 handstand push-ups
9 cleans
Etc., adding 3 reps to the handstand push-up each round, and 3 reps to the clean every 3 rounds.

Men clean 185 lb.
Women clean 125 lb.

Scaled

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 8 minutes of:
10 push presses
10 cleans

Men push press 95 lb. and clean 115 lb.
Women push press 65 lb. and clean 75 lb.

I'm looking at this and think I could maybe nail enough reps to be happy with a lower RX'd score that'll keep me in a better spot on the leaderboard, but I'm looking at the Scaled take and thinking I could nail a ton of reps.  I can't get to the box until Sunday to get the workout done so I have a few days to contemplate.

What are your thoughts, all?