Crossfit Games: The Open

spezzy

I was really excited, until I thought it was way to easy and he's still got a twist for us! Scaled it is for me, my 2 hspu aren't going to be enough. I've been looking at the leader board and a higher rep scaled workout can get you more points than an RX with only a few reps.

Even  if I know I'll only get a few reps Rx'd, I'd rather do that workout (if possible) than scaled just to push myself. I'm notorious for scaling regular WODs when I shouldn't, and it's time to toughen up... if only I could do a HSPU! *someday*

Daaaang, lots of bar work. Glad I ran instead of climbing last night!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I was really excited, until I thought it was way to easy and he's still got a twist for us! Scaled it is for me, my 2 hspu aren't going to be enough. I've been looking at the leader board and a higher rep scaled workout can get you more points than an RX with only a few reps.

Are you sure about that high-repped scaled getting better ranking than RX?  I don't see anyone who is scaled getting better scores on the leaderboard when I take a look at it.  Remember that you are going for golf score on this...  ;)  Also, according to the Games website, "one rep of the prescribed workout will be ranked ahead of the best score of the scaled version...."

I did this one RX'd, even though it's been more than a year since I've been able to successfully do a HSPU.  I found that kipping helps a TON.  I was able to get a total of 6 HSPUs (for a total score of 9) in the time limit.  If you are borderline on strict HSPUs, I'd recommend giving kipping a go.  If you've got a good core to extremity power transition, it can make it a lot easier.

Also, when you're doing the HSPUs, make sure to fully flex your feet.  If you point your toes, your heels will be 3"-4" lower than if you flex your feet.  This is the difference between a good rep and a no rep.  One of mine (probably more than one, let's be honest) would have been a no rep if the judge hadn't yelled at me to get my heels up.  That little change can make a huge difference.  :)

Good luck everyone!  I'm probably going to give it another go on Sunday provided that my back loosens up. 

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

I can usually squeak in a few HSPUs on my good days, so I think I'm going to attempt the Clean and pair together 3 HSPU for my warmup on Sunday and go from there.  If I'm feeling it, I'll go RX'd for the score and then do the Scaled for my workout.

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Are you sure about that high-repped scaled getting better ranking than RX?  I don't see anyone who is scaled getting better scores on the leaderboard when I take a look at it.  Remember that you are going for golf score on this...  ;)  Also, according to the Games website, "one rep of the prescribed workout will be ranked ahead of the best score of the scaled version...."

The guy below me currently on the leader board has 2 RX'd workouts to my 1. Wouldn't you assume that his 2 should put him ahead of me? Yes his points are lower for those workouts but I'm still 1 spot ahead of him.

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Got 15.4 in today.

I worked my arse off to get that 185 Clean for a few points of RX'd but ultimate PR'd 165lbs and called it a day.

Got 69 on the Scaled workout and honestly, I'm pretty happy with that.  Definitely looking forward to 15.5 though.  It'll likely be a doozy!

• Like 1

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

The guy below me currently on the leader board has 2 RX'd workouts to my 1. Wouldn't you assume that his 2 should put him ahead of me? Yes his points are lower for those workouts but I'm still 1 spot ahead of him.

Nope. You're looking at the overall score and ranking which doesn't take into account whether you RX'd or Scaled. The overall leaderboard is calculated based off your positions in the individual workouts (Sum of your position for the workouts, lowest wins). But for each individual workout, a single RX rep beats the highest Scaled score. Being ahead of someone who did more workouts RX'd, only means you placed significantly higher than them in the scaled workouts.

Hey everyone! I also finished last night (18:28)... Not great at all, but considering 14.5 took me 28:00, I'll take it. I'm pretty sure. Thrusters were created by the devil.

What's everyone's takeaway from this year?

For me, I just need to keep moving heavy weight, and probably add additional lifting outside of the WODs. If anyone has a workout plan for this, I'm all ears! 15.3 was my strong suit (335) since there was no weight... Even though wall balls are thrusters' evil step brother. 15.4 was my weakest since I can't clean 185 AT ALL. My max is 165. I did evrything Rx to stay consistent and wanted to be sure I crush it when muscle-ups appeared. :)

Super interested in everyone else's takeaways!

LVL 3 Half-Elf   |   Assassin-Ranger
STR 3.3 | CON 5.6 | DEX 4.4
WIS 4.7 | STA 5.6 | CHA 2.0

Level 1 - Into the Fray

Level 2 - Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Level 3 - A Slight Change in Direction

Achievements (Weight 132#)

Deadlift:     355 lbs

Back Squat:   250 lbs

Front Squat:  225 lbs

Clean & Jerk: 165 lbs

Snatch:       135 lbs

Bench:        140 lbs

I struggled all day yesterday with whether or not to do 15.5 RX.

I helped judge on the first wave and my competitor was a rock star who crushed the workout in something like 8 minutes but was on the floor in a puddle of human goo for a long while after.

I watched wave 2 and struggled more.  I talked to my coach and asked what he thought I should do.  He seemed to have faith in me so I went to warm up for wave 3. 

That first 95lb thruster was really heavy and it didn't seem to get much easier right away.  But I decided to soldier on and see what I could do.

After what felt like a million sets of two thrusters to bash my way on through all 72 reps... I finished my first Crossfit Open and eeked out a score of 20:16 for 15.5.

It was an epic battle that had the whole box cheering me on by the end (mostly because I was the only athlete still working at that point).  The gym had a Open Wrap-up Party afterward and I got to enjoy my first piece of pizza in the new year and a couple of tasty adult beverages, but more importantly I had the opportunity to get to know my co-WODers better and made some friends.

• Like 3

I ended up doing 15.5 on Thursday afternoon, my 3rd consecutive day of cf. That's my max - if I work out more than 3 consecutive days, it's "rest or get hurt." Rowing is pretty comfortable for me, but I was upset about having done Fran on Tuesday. Turned out to be a good thing, since the thrusters earlier in the week acted as a sort of warm up for the WOD. I broke them up a ton, but made it under my goal time (15:00) anyways. 

13:51

Well done folks!  It's bee fun, see y'all next year!!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

Not sure if it was insanity or not, but I did 15.5 again. I'm not sure that it was worth the roughly 45 seconds I shaved off my time but I'm in the books now at 19:35. I knew I could get sub 20 and I wanted it. I'm almost certain this workout was designed for me. I actually like doing thrusters, maybe not so many at 95# but I do like them. I also think my constant running getting ready for a half in a less than a month really helped me, cardio wasn't a problem for me like it was a lot of the others at my box.

• Like 2

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

I did my 15.5 on Friday last week and was able to get a time of 16:13.  I kept a steady pace on the rower at about 1100 calories per hour, but the thrusters were killer for me.  I broke them up into sets of 4-5 mainly.  It took a while, but I was happy when I finished.  My quads are finally starting to feel somewhat normal again.  LOL!

I'm so happy to hear about how everyone did!  It'll be awesome to see how we progress when next year's Open comes around.  :)

• Like 1

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

There's still a few days for coach validation, but so far it's looking like I'm going to come in around 73,900 in the world.

I'm strangely happy about that.

• Like 1

Awesome Rurik!  That's a great first showing!  :D

I'm currently at 58,382, but that may change.  Last year I wasn't even in the upper 50%, so this is a huge improvement for me.  I'm so happy with how I did.  :)

How about everyone else who signed up?  How did you all do?

• Like 1

I've slipped to 80,000+.  Not as thrilled about that as I was about the high 79ks, but it was my first Open, and now that we have scores and standings I'm excited to set some goals for next year.  I would really like to RX everything (and aim for the 50,000s), so that means a year for Chest To Bar pullups and Muscle Ups.

Off we go!

• Like 1

My last score didn't get entered  :hopelessness:  :grief:

I'm with you guys, I just started in Jan so it was more of a baseline approach for me. The fact that I could RX two workouts was overkill for me. My box is already setting dates of the summer for a retest, looks like we will do one every other week starting in June.

I broke down and looked currently 78817, I'm cool with that. Honestly I just wanted to be in the 75%

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

My last score didn't get entered  :hopelessness:  :grief:

I forgot to submit mine on time. I feel your pain.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

My biggest takeaways from the Open:

I need to hit my weaknesses harder. For me, that's muscle-ups and double-unders. I obtained a score of 2 on 15.3 (and HSPU, to a lesser extent)

I need to improve my engine. 15.5 stomped me.

I'm still bitter about the lack of burpees. ;)

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Yay I got to do an Open workout after all :)

Coach made me do 15.5 in PT yesterday, scaled somewhat with 2 x 10kg Dumbbells instead of a 40kg bar and he capped it at 15 mins. He sprung this on me after 45 mins of strength work! I got it done in...14:59, just 1 sec to spare!! Now that's taking full advantage of a cap :lol: Did the thrusters in sets of 5 with a 15 - 20 secs rest between sets.

The wrist injury that's stopped me doing any overhead work for 8 months has left me with strong legs and a pretty decent engine, every cloud has a silver lining as they say.... :positive:

• Like 3

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

We're fixing to complete some baseline Open workouts this summer to test our progress since this and other previous Opens.

...I don't know how excited I am for that, haha.