• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Brovatar Korra

Brovatar Korra Gets Awkward

My last final is on May 16th, and then I don't start my 4th year rotations until July 5th. That gives me a whole month and a half to focus on training eating the right things, and getting my life in order before 42 weeks of craziness begins. The plan is to continue lifting heavy things, eating nutritious stuff, and taking care of chores I've been putting off for too long.

1. Some examples of those things include:

- changing the oil in my car

- buying new work clothes

- dusting!

- organizing my old notes for easy reference during rotations

- go to the dentist and get my teeth cleaned

76aa99fec684faef75f738090205b8c9.jpg

2. Continue my usual workout routine. Olympic weightlifting, bro-building, STRONGMAN.

c8434ac233679411f943dc67b79011d4.jpg

3. Eat less fat (90g) and more protein (130g).

aAhEJnP.jpg

4. Bonus points:

- doing my back pre-hab exercises

- walking more than 5.5 miles in a day

- accomplishing a task that makes my life more organized/manageable

heart-and-brain-web-comic-awkward-yeti-n

• Like 2

I am infatuated with the awkward yeti, it's like he is speaking right to me with almost every comic. The exercise ones are always too hilarious. 

• Like 2

Strongman Saturday 5/07:

1. Keg toss for height

I can get the 20# keg to hit the 12 foot bar, but still can't get it to go over! Gotta be able to throw a 25# keg at least 12 feet for the competition. We don't have a 25# keg to practice with right now, the next lightest one is 35# and that thing barely goes 9 feet over my head.

2. Atlas Stone loading

Was able to load the 140# stone without tacky, but I needed tacky to load the 171# stone. The atlas stone loading at the competition goes up to 240# for my weight class. Yikes! I've lapped a 208# stone ONCE, but still haven't been able to load it. Going to be focusing on this a lot more the next 6 weeks.

Weightlifting 5/09:

1. Hip snatch + drop snatch at 65% for 3 sets (28kg)

2. Power snatch with pause in catch, worked up to 44kg (100%!) for 5 singles

3. Hip cleans at 80% for 3 sets of 2 (45kg)

4. Front squats 85% for 3 sets of 3 (75kg)

Just 6 months ago 75kg was my 1RM, 

Also, starting weight this morning was 209.6# and today's macros:

calories: 2467

carbs: 274

fat: 108

protein: 146

Off to a great start!

Just pretend I am the heart and my husband is the brain. And the "surprise" is always supplements or quest bars.

1116_Gift.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Just pretend I am the heart and my husband is the brain. And the "surprise" is always supplements or quest bars.

1116_Gift.png

100 Shares of FCX?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Strongman Saturday 5/07:

1. Keg toss for height

I can get the 20# keg to hit the 12 foot bar, but still can't get it to go over! Gotta be able to throw a 25# keg at least 12 feet for the competition. We don't have a 25# keg to practice with right now, the next lightest one is 35# and that thing barely goes 9 feet over my head.

Keep working at it and soon you'll be able to tell bros that if they don't simmer down you'll toss THEM across the room. 

• Like 1

Tuesday Workout = PR CITY!

1. DEADLIFTS!!!!

warm ups with 135x3, 185x3, then used belt for the rest: 225, 245, 265, 275, 285 (PR with just belt and mixed grip, previous best was 275)

Then I decided to go for a PR with straps:

285 (again to make sure everything felt good), 295, 305! previous best with straps from the floor was 295

2. Dimel DLs 95# 3x20

3. Leg Press 180# 3x12

4. Bike Sprints at high resistance, 4 rounds, 20 seconds on / 30 seconds off

0425_GetUp.png

• Like 3

Wednesday 5/11 - olympic lifting stuff, nothing too spectacular or interesting just working on technique at 70-80%

Monday and Tuesday nutrition was on point, Wednesday not so much... Replace yogurt with "chips and queso."

0412_Yogurt.png

Gonna get back on track today! My husband finished his last final this morning, I have one more next Monday and then I'm finished. We're going to celebrate by FINALLY seeing Captain American Civil War this afternoon! That means eating a nutritious lunch and dinner since I'm going to shove popcorn in my face all afternoon.

And now I'm heading to the gym now for an afternoon bro-tastic workout session, going for a push-press 1RM followed by bodybuilding type stuff. Yay!

• Like 2

I don't even know how anyone resists popcorn. If we buy popcorn at the theater I can't stop until the whole bucket is gone. 

Sounds like the lifts are going well!

6 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I don't even know how anyone resists popcorn. If we buy popcorn at the theater I can't stop until the whole bucket is gone. 

Didn't Steve write an article on this subject?  He said there was a study showing people watching a movie can't tell the difference between fresh popcorn, three-day old popcorn, and the stuff you use to fill in boxes.  They just keep mindlessly stuffing it in their mouths.

1 minute ago, Sam Ashen said:

Didn't Steve write an article on this subject?  He said there was a study showing people watching a movie can't tell the difference between fresh popcorn, three-day old popcorn, and the stuff you use to fill in boxes.  They just keep mindlessly stuffing it in their mouths.

This is why I only buy the smallest size drink and popcorn separately, even if "Ma'am, it's only 50 cents more if you get the bucket of popcorn so big you could fit a baby in and the drink the size of 4 bladders combo."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

This is why I only buy the smallest size drink and popcorn separately, even if "Ma'am, it's only 50 cents more if you get the bucket of popcorn so big you could fit a baby in and the drink the size of 4 bladders combo."

Random thought of the day:  This made me wonder if they have a bigger profit margin on that extra 50 cents.

• Like 1

Civil War was pretty great. I feel like Baron Zemo's evil plan was ridiculously convoluted and over-complicated - even for a super-villan. 

Thursday's Workout:

1. Overhead push press 1RM: worked up to a new best of 150#

tumblr_m3b9xau8cY1qkdo8ho1_400.gif

2. Incline BP 3x6 95#

3. Lat Pulldowns 3x8 70#

4. Karlsen Flyes 3x8 7.5#, 8 second hold at the end

5. Bicep curls 3x8 15#

Friday's Workout:

1. Snatch 90% (40kg) 4 singles

2. Clean and Jerk 90% (55kg) 4 singles 

3. Snatch Grip Pulls 110% (50kg) 3x3

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

1. Overhead push press 1RM: worked up to a new best of 150#

14 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

2. Clean and Jerk 90% (55kg) 4 singles 

Yay!  Another person who Push Presses more than Jerk!

• Like 1

Friday's Workout:

Olympic weightlifting stuff. Snatches felt great, cleans were totally off base. Just one of those days your body is like, "nope!"

EPIC STRONGMAN SATURDAY!

I'm so sad I don't have any pictures or videos, because so much awesomeness happened.

1. Conan's Wheel

Coach said, "Double bodyweight."

I said, "Coach, that's 400#. I've only picked up ~300# before."

Coach said, "Double. Body. Weight."

So I did 180# for one rotation, 270# one rotation, 360# one rotation, and then on 400# I got it about 1/2 a rotation in 60 seconds. Not very impressive to go half a rotation, but still a PR...? (PS don't tell my coach 2xBW is actually 214 hehehehe)

2. Log Clean and Press

Knowing that I hit 150# OHP on Thursday, I was determined to also hit the same weight with the log. And I did! Knocked out 110 easy, 130 with just a bit of difficulty, and fought for 150 but I locked it out.

3. Trap Bar Deadlift 1RM

All pumped up from my new log record, I decide to break my old trap bar best of 315#. Worked all the way up to 370! That wiped me out big time, no straps though!

4. Keg Loading max reps for time

I did this with the 120# keg (throwing it over a 48" bar) and got 5 reps in 60 seconds. I also tried picking up the 160# and was able to throw it over (once) pretty easy. The next lowest weight was a 200# keg, which I could lap, but couldn't hoist it over. If only he had a 180# keg!

TL;DR New PRs!

1. Conan's Wheel = 360# for one rotation, 400# for 1/2 a rotation

2. Log C&P = 150#

3. Trap Bar DL = 270#

4. Keg Loading = 120# keg, 5 reps, 60 seconds

Week One Highlights:

1. I passed my Pharmacy Law Final YAY!

2. Today thanks to Texas Roadhouse I ate 179g of protein!

3. Tomorrow morning is my LAST FINAL EXAM EVAH. Huzzah!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

TL;DR New PRs!

1. Conan's Wheel = 360# for one rotation, 400# for 1/2 a rotation

2. Log C&P = 150#

3. Trap Bar DL = 270#

4. Keg Loading = 120# keg, 5 reps, 60 seconds

Week One Highlights:

1. I passed my Pharmacy Law Final YAY!

2. Today thanks to Texas Roadhouse I ate 179g of protein!

3. Tomorrow morning is my LAST FINAL EXAM EVAH. Huzzah!

giphy.gif

If I new TL;DR was coming I wouldn't have ready all that other stuff. ;) Fantastic work beasting it out! 

Congrats on passing the final and hopefully by the time you read this you'll be done with your last final and be ready for your summer hurrah!!

• Like 1

On May 16, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

If I new TL;DR was coming I wouldn't have ready all that other stuff. ;) Fantastic work beasting it out! 

Congrats on passing the final and hopefully by the time you read this you'll be done with your last final and be ready for your summer hurrah!!

Hahaha I'll remember to throw the TL;DR up front next time. 

Thanks yes today was my first day of freedom and it felt great! I celebrated by doing two workouts :P

Monday Weightlifting:

1. Hip Snatch + Hang Snatch 65% (28kg) 4 sets of 1+1

2. Hang clean pulls with pause above and below knee + hang clean 60% (36kg) 5 sets of 2+1

3. Snatch pull to knee + snatch pull 100% (44kg) 3 sets of 4+1

4. Jerks 80% (50kg) 3 sets of 2

Solid technique work here!

Tuesday Workout 1 Lower body: (10:30am-12)

1. Back squats working up to technical 5RM: 45x10, 85x5, 105x5, 135x5, 155x5

These felt really solid, which made me happy because I haven't done low-bar squats in a while

2. DL from 15" with straps (to mimic placement of the tire deadlift at competition) 135# 4 sets of 8

Working at getting more proficient at taking straps on and off quickly, we don't get much set up time at the competition

3. Split Squats 3x8 each side, unweighted

I've actually never done these before! They are super hard

4. Kroc rows 30# DB 3x18

5. Squat hold at top, 225# 3 sets of 30 seconds

Tuesday Workout 2 Upper body: (3pm-4:30)

1. BP 4x4 135#

2. Pec Cable Flyes 3x10 70#

3. Bicep Curls 3x10 15#

4. Farmer's Carry with DB, 55# each hand max distance in 60 seconds (for grip strength)

5. Trap Bar Shrugs 3x8 135#

Planning to go visit the family for a few days (wed - sat), luckily there is a gold's gym nearby so I should still be able to hit all my workouts. :D

I definitely foresee ice-cream in my future this evening...

0205_PuppetMaster.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Split Squats 3x8 each side, unweighted

52 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

The idea of doing split squats makes me shake in my boots. WELL DONE!

Everything coming out of that country is evil.  Everything.

• Like 1

Decided to do a progress pic since I haven't done one in forever. The left is circa 2014, at about 185#. The right is this morning, at 210#. Definitely gained some muscle and some fat, my torso is significantly wider. I like the definition on the left side, and I like the size on the right side. Why can't I have both?!?

large.573ca4e32d003_TwoYears.png.6426fb5

• Like 4

Wednesday - olympic lifting stuff

Thursday - upper body stuff

Friday - rest day, went to the gym with my mom to show her some machines (she was afraid of free weights :()

Saturday - strongman, but I had my dog with me so I was distracted, it was more of a doggy play date than a workout. I did pick up a 450# yoke though! (just picked it up didn't even try to walk with it)

Sunday

I was supposed to go to olympic lifting, but I woke up to late and missed the workout (it takes me an hour to drive there)

Instead I went to the gym and worked up to a technical 1RM on everything

1. Squats 45x5, 95x3, 135x3, 155, 175, 195, 205, 225, 235, 245

then I did 185x5 (which I think is a best for reps at that weight)

2. BP 45x5, 95x3, 135x3, 145, 155, 165, 175

then I did 135x8 (which I think is also a best for reps)

3. DL 95x3, 135x3, 185x2, 225, 245, 265, 285, 290! (new PR)

Super happy about this pull wearing just a belt, the lockout felt great I barely hitched at all!

300# is just a few weeks of hard work away!

0522_Confidence.png

• Like 3

Well done on Deadllift PR! And the Yolk lift. I reckon even if you didn't walk it's still awesome. Like doing a walk out with a new heavy squat weight but no squat! Just trying it on for size! :D

• Like 2