• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Brovatar Korra

Brovatar Korra Gets Awkward

17 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Sunday

I was supposed to go to olympic lifting, but I woke up to late and missed the workout (it takes me an hour to drive there)

Instead I went to the gym and worked up to a technical 1RM on everything

1. Squats 45x5, 95x3, 135x3, 155, 175, 195, 205, 225, 235, 245

then I did 185x5 (which I think is a best for reps at that weight)

2. BP 45x5, 95x3, 135x3, 145, 155, 165, 175

then I did 135x8 (which I think is also a best for reps)

3. DL 95x3, 135x3, 185x2, 225, 245, 265, 285, 290! (new PR)

Super happy about this pull wearing just a belt, the lockout felt great I barely hitched at all!

300# is just a few weeks of hard work away!

I'm impressed that you normally drive an hour to do your olympic lifting! That is some true dedication, grit, and passion, which is to be admired. 

Great job on all the reps and the deadlift PR! BEAST MODE. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm impressed that you normally drive an hour to do your olympic lifting! That is some true dedication, grit, and passion, which is to be admired. 

Great job on all the reps and the deadlift PR! BEAST MODE. 

Aw thanks! 

Recap of Last Week:

1. Average calories - 2880

2. Avg carbs - 344g

3. Avg fats - 117g

4. Avg proteins - 123g

Plan for this week is to keep total calories the same, working on bringing fats down to ~100 and proteins up to ~140

Monday Weightlifting:

1. Snatch "game"

My coach thought it would be fun if we started doing a single snatch at 80% EMOM for 15 rounds. If you missed a lift you had to drop down to 75% and do doubles, etc. I was happy that I hit all 15 at 35kg, and they all felt solid.

2. C&J "game"

Same thing but at 75%, and EMOM for 10 rounds. These were terrible, I almost got sick at the end because I was so tired and sweaty, but I finished it!

Tuesday Lower body:

1. 15" DL from blocks 3RM - 135, 185, 225, 245, tried 265 but only got one and it felt terrible so I stopped there

2. Dimel DLs - 95# 3x12

3. Back Squats 165# 3x5

4. Keg swings (like KB swings, but with a keg!) 20# 3x10

The goal here is to work on explosiveness for the keg toss. I wish I had a 30# keg to work with, since that is competition weight. I think I might go to the liquor store this weekend and buy a pony keg and "forget" to return it so I have a new one to play with.

Going to do a second workout this afternoon with the husband, it will be upper body, working on speed and technique rather than heavy weights.

• Like 2

Tuesday upper body with husband:

1. Bench Press 115# 3x5, slow tempo with pause on chest

2. Cable Pec Flyes 85# 3x8

3. Cable Tricep Pushdowns 30# 3x8

4. DB Lat Pullovers 30# 3x8

Wednesday Weightlifting:

1. Drop snatch 33kg 3x3

2. Narrow grip snatch - playing around and working up to 31kg (yikes these are hard - I felt it in my shoulders)

3. Jerk behind neck + jerk 45kg, 5 sets (super happy these were strong jerks, no pressing out!)

4. Front Squats working up to 2RM

35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 80, 85, 89kg! (2 front squats at 196# yeah! For reference the last time I went heavy my 1RM was 90kg. I think I have 95 in me, will probably test it one more time in a few weeks) 

Thursday upper body with husband:

1. BP 3RM

45x10, 95x5, 135x3, 155x3, 165x3, 170x3! (yay new best, confident I'm going to PR my 1RM as well when I test it again in a few weeks)

2. Z Press 80# 3x5

3. Kroc Rows 25# DB 3x20 (my coach is trying to kill me!)

4. Cable Face Pulls 40# 3x12

5. Bicep curls 15# 3x8

6. Cheat curls 60# BB 3x3

I would just like to say I LOVE bodybuilding style exercises. I was one of those people that when I first started training I drank the kool-aid and was like "barbells and free weights or die!" Like any sensible person, I realized there is a time and place for everything, and I'm so glad I found a way to incorporate cable machines and whatnot into my training in a way that brings me closer to my goals. 

dreams_5.png

dreams_6.png

dreams_7.png

dreams_8.png

dreams_9.png

• Like 3

I've missed your updates! Also, my new trainer wrote a program that includes cables and and other more body building type movements, so I'm glad to hear that there are others who appreciate this non-traditional focus. I was honestly a bit wary at first, but I think it's going to be great for my gains. Time will tell. 

Do you also do a leg day with the husband? ;) Great job on those upper body lifts!

• Like 2

On May 26, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I've missed your updates! Also, my new trainer wrote a program that includes cables and and other more body building type movements, so I'm glad to hear that there are others who appreciate this non-traditional focus. I was honestly a bit wary at first, but I think it's going to be great for my gains. Time will tell. 

Do you also do a leg day with the husband? ;) Great job on those upper body lifts!

In theory my husband and I do one upper body and one lower body workout together each week. However half the time it turns into 2 upper body because that is what he likes to do (surprise surprise) and I'm just happy he's lifting stuff at all. I can convince him to come bench much easier than I can convince him to do low bar squats :D And I still get my lower body stuff in, just on another day

Last Week stats:

Calories: 2,939

Carbs: 411g (oops!)

Fats: 96g

Protein: 123g

The good news is I got my fats down. The bad news is I made up the difference with too many carbs. Goal this week is actually getting all 3 macros in appropriate balance.

Weight is at an all time high (214#). I'm trying not to get bummed out because clothes still fit the same, lifts still getting stronger too, but at some point I don't want it to become a runaway train. Getting stronger is not a good reason to let my weight go unchecked.

FullMoon.png

• Like 2

The bad news is I have some awful tendonitis in my left wrist. After front squats on Wed and something I did on Thurs It feels like I sprained it, and it is interfering with my programming! I've been icing it, resting it, keeping it elevated, doing rehab exercises I found on-line, taking naproxen, and my husband even bought me an e-stim pad that they sell at CVS/Walgreens now. And using a brace at night to keep myself from accidentally whacking it against stuff (I roll around a lot). It is slowly improving, but not quickly enough for my taste. I know long-term I need to make sure it is properly healed before the June 25th competition, but it is frustrating to be limited with training that is supposed to be getting done this week. I guess I'm going to change things up and do lots of lower body this week.

ONE WEEK SMOLOV Leg Press marathon!

• Like 1

One more update - yesterday husband and I were relaxing watching TV and heard our dog start barking up a storm. Went outside and found a giant ass turtle! There are no lakes or ponds nearby so we were very confused, although it has been raining a lot more than usual.

13331154_10102440129672372_8463267301443

We determined it was a water turtle, probably not anyone's pet so we decided to take it to a nearby pond where it would be happier. She seemed very traumatized by our dog but finally started creeping around after 20 minutes or so. We put her in container to drive her to the pond. She has a cute algae dress and we named her Tina the turtle!

13332955_10102440236628032_2395752950898

We released her at the pond. She was quite hesitant at first and then once she gained her confidence she swam away and we were super happy. I think she's going to like it there better than wandering aimlessly around our neighborhood.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

The good news is I got my fats down. The bad news is I made up the difference with too many carbs. Goal this week is actually getting all 3 macros in appropriate balance.

Weight is at an all time high (214#). I'm trying not to get bummed out because clothes still fit the same, lifts still getting stronger too, but at some point I don't want it to become a runaway train. Getting stronger is not a good reason to let my weight go unchecked.

I've been having this same problem with my weight recently. It was going down but then I was so excited it was going down i stopped trying so hard.... Counting macros can be tough, especially when you live with people who don't also count their macros! Does your hubby follow a similar diet?

54 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

The bad news is I have some awful tendonitis in my left wrist.

It is slowly improving, but not quickly enough for my taste. I know long-term I need to make sure it is properly healed before the June 25th competition, but it is frustrating to be limited with training that is supposed to be getting done this week. I guess I'm going to change things up and do lots of lower body this week.

ONE WEEK SMOLOV Leg Press marathon!

I did leg press one day last week as an accessory when leg ext/curl machines were in use and it was strangely satisfying. Obviously this isn't what you want for your norm, but maybe look at is as a fun alternative to your normally training plan, so that you can let your wrist heal without being too stressed out about your gains? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I've been having this same problem with my weight recently. It was going down but then I was so excited it was going down i stopped trying so hard.... Counting macros can be tough, especially when you live with people who don't also count their macros! Does your hubby follow a similar diet?

For a long time my husband followed a "see food" diet. He actually just started trying to use My Fitness Pal about a week ago. That has been a rollercoaster adventure for him (and thus for me). "A tortilla has HOW MANY CALORIES?" Inside I'm like, "BWUHAHAHA welcome to my world!" But I know how tough it is so I'm trying to be understanding and supportive. When he complains I have to take a deep breath and ask myself, "What do I wish someone would have been telling me when I was just starting out 4 years ago?" The other day he had a complete breakdown and started throwing stuff around the kitchen. "I CAN'T EAT ANYTHING ANYMORE AAAAGGHHHH"

I gently persuaded him that instead of dropping to 2200 calories (when he probably ate about 3500 a day) maybe he should try tapering down. He's back to around 3000 for this week, and going to drop down ~200 each week. We are both much happier.

Ultimately I'm really happy he's giving it a shot, and I hope it ends up being a helpful tool for him.

9 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I did leg press one day last week as an accessory when leg ext/curl machines were in use and it was strangely satisfying. Obviously this isn't what you want for your norm, but maybe look at is as a fun alternative to your normally training plan, so that you can let your wrist heal without being too stressed out about your gains? 

Yeah I guess this is just an unexpected deload week. It's funny I just keep thinking - ooh I'm gonna be so well rested for my next round of heavy deadlifts.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

For a long time my husband followed a "see food" diet.

This is also known as IIFYM.  If It Fits Your Mouth. :tyrannosaurus:

25 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

I gently persuaded him that instead of dropping to 2200 calories (when he probably ate about 3500 a day) maybe he should try tapering down. He's back to around 3000 for this week, and going to drop down ~200 each week. We are both much happier.

Heck ya!  Approved!

• Like 2

OKAY so the last day of this challenge is tomorrow? What!?

Tried a workout on Monday (May 30th) to test out my wrist, I had mixed results. I'm pretty sure it is some kind of tendonitis in my wrist/hand, specifically the extensor muscles on the top of the hand (zones VI and VII). Here's a pretty picture to illustrate:

FO_ET-1.jpg

Rotation of movement is super limited, as is flexing my hand up or down. I can extend my fingers with concerted effort, although I cannot spread my fingers apart very far. I can close and make a fist though, and grip is still good. Here is what I attempted to do/testing things out while wearing my wrist wraps:

1. OHP with bar - nope not happening

2. Squats with bar - 3x5 went okay

3. BP with bar - nope! Although close grip was better, still painful after a few reps

4. Hammer curls - felt good with 10# and 12.5#, 15# felt twinge

At this point I just moved on to leg day:

5. Leg press 90x10, 180x8, 230x8, 270x8, 320x8 (Dumb question: For leg press you would only count the weight of the plates added on, right? Like does the press machine itself unloaded have a base weight? Does it even matter cuz who cares how many plates you can LEG PRESS)

6. Leg extensions 60x10, 70x10, 90x10, 90x10

7. Trap bar DL - 135# 3x5 (actually felt good no issues!)

Summary - pulls are in, pushes are out

THEN I got a bad sore throat/chest cold because life works like that, and spent the last 3 days drinking bone broth and eating lots of fruit. Finally felt well enough today to go to olympic lifting class. My warm ups with the PVC pipe felt good. My coach reprogrammed for me so no cleans or front squats. We tried out drop snatches, couldn't even get into starting position without pain. Tried easy light snatches from the floor and from hips - no go. So I ended up doing clean pulls and back squats. Very disappointing, and now my wrist is super sore and stiff now. I thought I was ready to test it out but took two steps backward. I've been doing all the RICE stuff (okay I guess I need more "R") - and I know the smart thing to do is let my wrist completely heal and not re-attempt those pain-inducing movements until I'm pain free.

But it is so hard with my competition 3 weeks away from tomorrow! I am part freaking out / part getting depressed / part getting very angry.

9af54c90a51f11e95e397e13a2e33225.jpg

• Like 1

So this was me for the last few days

tumblr_inline_o6m2yrE4v81qb6nhw_500.gif

After having an extended one woman pity party, I finally snapped out of it!

LD1.gif

I decided to take action and create an EMERGENCY ONE WEEK CHALLENGE EXTENSION: HEAL MY WRIST!

With three weeks until the competition, this is my #1 priority and I'll try everything, even things that have little scientific evidence. Bring on the bro-science!

I want to compete with a completely healed wrist with full range of motion and no pain or tenderness. This is so much more important than any GAINZ I could accomplish in the next 3 weeks. So here are this week's goals:

1. Continue icing wrist 15 minutes twice a day

2. Wrist ROM and flexion exercises every day (This works best during/after epsom salt bath when I can soak my hand)

cfeb82f0-7104-0132-1830-0a7dfd902b7c.gif

3. Drink 1 cup bone broth daily until gone (I made a big batch this weekend)

3. Take all tuh supplements (Fish oil, ZMA, Osteo-biflex I didn't go out and buy these, I already had them but take them sporadically. Every day this week!)

5. Eat all the fruit, especially pineapple (Gimme dat Bromelian!)

Screen+shot+2013-05-26+at+2.37.38+PM.png

6. I am going to a local acupuncturist on monday morning for a session. I tried acupuncture once before when I strained my neck back in 2010. I don't know if it really made things heal any faster, but it certainly didn't make anything worse so I'm gonna give it a go. (And it is cheaper than PT, which I can't afford :(

19-lady-dynamite-8.w529.h352.jpg

Started doing all these things yesterday and today, so far so good.

Operation "Lady Dynamite" GoooooOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

tumblr_o7tducOOO81v821imo1_500.gif

• Like 1

Sunday leg workout:

1. Leg Press 90x10, 180x10, 270x10, 320# 3x10 (trying to figure out the right foot placement for this, started out more like I stand for a back squat, and now more in line a la hack squat and that improved things)

2. Leg Extensions 80x10, 90# 3x10, drop sets 70x5, 50x5 (these were crazy tough at the end)

3. Calf Raises 90# 3x10 (tempo two seconds up, two seconds down, pause at top and bottom)

4. Also wanted to do glute ham raises, but they didn't have the equipment. I tried to improvise with the equipment for reverse hypers, but that went poorly. I might end up as a gym fail gif)

...I saw this and thought about trying it at home with my coffee table...

hqdefault.jpg

5. Finally I decided to get adventurous and try the hamstring curl machines, but I didn't feel anything in the actual hamstring, just some pain just below my kneecap :(

Monday Morning:

Acupuncture session! The staff and doctor were really nice, process was very simple. He turned me into a human pincushion (mostly just forearms, shins/feet), then I basically meditated for half an hour. I felt very relaxed and invigorated afterward. I tested my wrist ROM before and after the session, it did slightly improve. I went ahead and made one more appointment for next Monday. And now that the day is almost over, my wrist is pain free in the neutral position! It does get sore when I flex it up/down, but I can now fully extend all my fingers and thumb! Progress!

9v2o1.jpg

Monday afternoon workout:

I know that pulls are fine but pushing movements are straining, so I thought cable machines might be friend. Sticking to light weights and lots of repetitions, which I've read is best for strengthening ligaments/tendons.

1. Seated Cable Row 30x10, 40x10, 50# 3x10

2. Lat Pulldowns (felt fine with wide grip) 40x12, 50# 3x12

3. Hammer Curls 10# DB 4x10

4. Karlsen Flyes 7.5# DB 3x8, 8 second hold on last rep

5. Pec Flyes (was supposed to be with cable, but the machine was taken. DB turned out to be okay because I can keep my wrist in the neutral position)

15# DB 3x10

Going to meet my coach tomorrow morning to do some safety bar squats!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

5. Finally I decided to get adventurous and try the hamstring curl machines, but I didn't feel anything in the actual hamstring, just some pain just below my kneecap :(

If the hamstring curl machines at your gym are anything like the ones I have used, it is hard to get the back and the leg bar at the right position to hit the muscles correctly. I'm always annoyed with where the roller pad hits the back of my ankles at the top vs the bottom. I end up messing with it over several sessions at a new gym and then write down the settings so I don't have to fuss with it again. 

One thing that helps me (once I've got the machine settings right) is to keep my toes pointed at the ceiling while doing the curl rather than letting my toes drop. 

• Like 1

On June 7, 2016 at 7:08 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

One thing that helps me (once I've got the machine settings right) is to keep my toes pointed at the ceiling while doing the curl rather than letting my toes drop. 

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that next time.

Tuesday:

1. Safety Bar Squats...

Are actually super hard to get the hang of. I had never used one before so I played around with it quite a bit. Settled into doing what I thought was 135# for 6 sets of 3. I felt a little bit better when I learned the safety squat bar weighs 65#, so I was actually doing 155#. My legs were a little tired still from leg press / leg extensions on Monday, and I felt it!

2. Log Press

I can press overhead in the neutral wrist position all day long, but the issue is cleaning it. My amazing coach is building me a rack that I can put the log into at chest height, so I can just unrack and practice strict presses. 

3. Trap Bar DL

Thought this would be better to try before regular DLs, since wrist is neutral. These felt really good, no pain and I was able to work up to 310# for a set of 3!

Wednesday:

Regular olympic weightlifting is pretty much out for the time being, so I did another leg day! The silver lining is by the time my wrist heals up my legs are gonna be so jacked :topsy_turvy:

1. Leg Press 90x8, 180x8, 270x8, 3 sets of 360x8

2. Leg Extensions 80x10, 3 sets of 90x10, drop-set 70x10

3. Calf Raises 3 sets of 90x10, drop-set 75x6 (slow tempo, 2 second hold at top and bottom)

4. Hammer Curls 12.5x8, 3 sets of 17.5x8, drop-set 10x8

5. 3 way shoulder raises 7.5#DB, 3 sets of 8

6. Then I messed around with the DB to test wrist positions. I can support up to 10# overhead with a pronated wrist. I'm proud of myself for not trying anything dumb until I have full ROM back, and can do push-ups. Here is my daily reminder to cool my jets:

"When you have a sprain in the wrist, it’s these ligaments and tendons that need healing, and their metabolic rate is 7-10x slower than muscle tissue due to their lack of vascularization (networks of blood vessels). What would take muscle tissue just one day to heal, would take connective tissue 7-10 days to heal.  You cannot speed up this process through magic. This is why it is imperative you do not aggravate your condition further by “pushing through the pain” or anything silly like that.  Heed the pain signals your body is giving you."

tumblr_lkpmny9W5k1qbw88xo1_500.gif

You are gonna have legs for days! legs for miles? miles for legs? Erry day is leg day. 

Do you do your regular workouts and your strongman workouts at two separate gyms? It seems like i see people who travel once a week to do strongman at a gym that is farther away than their normal gym. Not that I'm going to get into strongman, but that's the only option I would have in that case. 

Love that gif! I used to be really into Futurama. It's gotten a bit redundant for me and re-runs are constantly on TV so I may just be burned out. No pun intended. ;) 

• Like 1

On June 9, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

You are gonna have legs for days! legs for miles? miles for legs? Erry day is leg day. 

Do you do your regular workouts and your strongman workouts at two separate gyms? It seems like i see people who travel once a week to do strongman at a gym that is farther away than their normal gym. Not that I'm going to get into strongman, but that's the only option I would have in that case. 

Love that gif! I used to be really into Futurama. It's gotten a bit redundant for me and re-runs are constantly on TV so I may just be burned out. No pun intended. ;) 

Yes I go to a gym called Prism Crossfit for my strongman training, the owner is very involved with the NAS strongman corporation/league. I go to another separate gym just for olympic weightlifting training, the coach is one of the few people in my area who is USAW certified. Then I go to a THIRD gym (regular ol' golds) for my bodybuilding basics. The Gold's membership is one I've had had forever locked in at a low rate. That's the one I go to with my husband (when I can convince him). The other 2 gyms - I've only been going to for the last year, and that might change if I have to move for work after I graduate. It is a lot of running around, but to me it is worth it to get access to the best equipment and the best training. It is where all of my disposable income goes to, I haven't bought a movie or video game (or clothing that wasn't training related) in forever.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Yes I go to a gym called Prism Crossfit for my strongman training, the owner is very involved with the NAS strongman corporation/league. I go to another separate gym just for olympic weightlifting training, the coach is one of the few people in my area who is USAW certified. Then I go to a THIRD gym (regular ol' golds) for my bodybuilding basics. The Gold's membership is one I've had had forever locked in at a low rate. That's the one I go to with my husband (when I can convince him). The other 2 gyms - I've only been going to for the last year, and that might change if I have to move for work after I graduate. It is a lot of running around, but to me it is worth it to get access to the best equipment and the best training. It is where all of my disposable income goes to, I haven't bought a movie or video game (or clothing that wasn't training related) in forever.

That is basically what I had to do in order to afford personal training and it is just for 6 weeks. I had to buy a membership to another gym and then buy the personal training on top of that. Extracurricular activities are basically limited to lifting at the moment. As much as I would like to have other adventures, getting stronger is definitely the financial priority. Fortunately our regular vacation is camping, which allows for a break that isn't terribly expensive. But every month when I double check my budget I cringe a little bit. 

There is a gym about 35 minute drive out that is a powerlifting gym that I want to look into joining and go there on weekends. But I told myself I had to be lifting regularly for at least a solid year before I looked into joining a special gym. I lifted haphazardly for years, but only got serious this past November and only started barbell work this February. So sometime next year I'll explore gym options. Luckily my regular gym (Powerhouse) has racks. The fact that the powerlifting gym doesn't have prices on their website leads me to believe it is somewhat expensive...

• Like 1

Very late to the party. But i'm following you and your enthusiasm :) it looks infectious,

Where or who was that text from about the connective tissue healing rate? 

On June 13, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

The fact that the powerlifting gym doesn't have prices on their website leads me to believe it is somewhat expensive...

That could be the case. On the flip side if it is privately owned and not part of a big fitness chain - they might be really flexible with their pricing and that's why they don't advertise a flat rate.

Even if you aren't ready to commit now you should go check it out! Most places will let you train once for free, or at the very least take a look around. And if it is a place you could see yourself lifting at - all the more motivation to save up!

15 minutes ago, Pat G said:

Very late to the party. But i'm following you and your enthusiasm :) it looks infectious,

Where or who was that text from about the connective tissue healing rate? 

Hey Pat! The connective tissue thing was from this website. Am I 100% sure that statement is scientifically accurate? Nope. But it does make sense in terms of blood flow / nutrition delivery / waste removal etc. And it had the right intended psychological effect - making sure I didn't rush back into training.

I also have just started a new thread called "Get Schwifty" where I'll be doing most of my future posts. It is so hard to keep up with what is the latest challenge forum and what isn't I feel perpetually behind.

• Like 1