PinkNinja's Reboot

PinkNinja

Re_Boot.png

I loved this cartoon. I didn't get to see much of it, though. Cartoon Network, my bus route, and our channel lineup rarely aligned favorably. Part of why it appealed to me is that the idea of little beings inside your computer making things work was kind of how I always imagined my body. Sort of like Awkward Yeti.

0425_Get_Up.png

In Reboot, the sprites had to be constantly vigilant for a game. The game could appear at any time, requiring Bob to fulfill his responsibility at a moment's notice. If he didn't make it to the game in time, huge sections of Mainframe could be destroyed causing lasting damage and nullifying sprites.
I need to quit waiting for the perfect time to workout & eat right. I keep saying "well, no point doing it today, I'll just be on the road the next three days." Well, that's a crap excuse. So I am officially Rebooting! Cause I feel like I've been slowly nullifying. latest?cb=20080117215130

1. Work out/do yoga/do cardio(walk, run, bike) 6 days a week. One of the 3 has to happen, nearly every day. ONE off day, one. No excuses. 
I have been bad about not leaving the lodge here. I'm living in a lodge room, working in the lodge, and eatingin the lodge. :o  I went two whole days without going outside!! No wonder I'm getting in a pissy mood.

2. One soda/sweet tea a week. That's it, ONE. No rollovers. Doesn't matter if I'm on the road or if water "doesn't go with this".

I've been having lots of sweet tea lately, because its not soda right? But then I've been getting lots of Dr. Pepper, because well you can't have water with pizza, cheeseburger, etc. Ugh. My brain sometimes, I swear. So 6 days without soda/sweet tea.

3. Bread type food in only ONE meal a day.
I've been having biscuits& gravy for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and something with a potato and a roll for dinner. >.< Eeek!

4. In Bed by 11 and out of bed by 7:30, each day.
I still suck at sleep. I thought after having to get up at 5:30 every day and be at work by 7, and making it without a problem, my regular schedule would be a piece of cake. Nope. It's like my body is rebelling against those 7 weeks of pre-sunrise rising.

*Life Goals*

More NIMS classes have been assigned, finish at least 1  (1 pt)
Use TR1 Payment for responsible adult stuff <traffic fine, stupid speeding ticket don't even get me started, & credit card> (1 pt each)

Get state application updated (1 pt)

Get 2 meal plans w/grocery lists made and in binder so I'm prepared for moving into place with kitchen :D (1 pt each)

Also, DO NOT BUY ANY MORE YARN. Good grief. This gets no points because it's a matter of survival. I will drown in yarn if I don't stop going "ooh.. I could weave a random piece of fabric I have no use for with this because it's pretty and on clearance!" and now I've started loom knitting too?! Yeah, no. I should just make a bazillion beanies or throw pillows out of what I have until it all FITS in my toolbox again.

Thinking of starting a daily battle log but I don't want it to take time away from my challenges. :/ 

Though in retrospect, it doesn't have to be a daily battle log. A weekly battle log. A "when I have internet and time" battle log. hm.

I'm stealing and combining ideas. I'm kind of stealing Kishi's score system and combining it with the way several people reward themselves.

Total points 110 =  24 for working  out every day but 1, 24 for not having soda/sweet tea everyday by 1, 28 for bread in one meal, 28 for getting sleep right &. 6 for life goals

If I get 110 points total, I get to  buy All You Need is Kill for my Kindle, to put $5 extra dollars in my vacation/adventure/travel fund, and
If I get 97+ points,all I get is is All You Need is Kill & $5 in my fun fund.
If I get 90+ points, all I get is $5 in my fun fund.

If I get less than 85, I have to do the thing that my sister will determine at a later date. (my sister is scary, ya'll)

• Like 3

Ok, so food.
My meals are provided in the park restaurant. I have been just sort of ordering whatever, getting the special. I decided I need to plan out some healthier meals for the next few days.

So I just finished a serious stare down with the menu. The sides are horrible! If it's not a potato, it's deep fried. The only one I even really like that isn't a potato is broccoli! The rest of the sides are fried okra, fries, baked potato, coleslaw, sweet potato fries, and veggie of the day, which in case you were wondering, is usually "corn casserole." WHY did you feel the need to mix bread, corn, & cheese then cook it?! The entrees aren't much better, but there's grilled chicken, grilled steak, and grilled pork, so that's doable.

I am so ready to be back where I can cook. Yes, free food is lovely and I shouldn't complain. :( Guess I'll just have broccoli & grilled meat for the next few days.

I am concocting a plan though. I need to go to Wal-Mart.

Free food is great, but eating out all the time can become a bit of a nutritional strain.  It always pushes the sensible eating envelope at least a bit.  And corn casserole does not even sound like a veggie. 

Coleslaw wouldn't be too bad, if the calories are okay for you.  That's basically raw cabbage in salad dressing.  (A touch more than usual, but, meh, it's close, if it fits your macros.  And it probably does, if you're doing grilled meat and green veggies.  Those are pretty low-cal.)  Surprising there's not some sort of side salad, that's a real oversight on their menu.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I don't like coleslaw. I left that out. I do if I make it at home, but theirs is sweet and very, very wet. And kind of slimy looking.

There is a side salad, but they are extra to add to the entrees instead of a free sub. I am burnt out on them, cause I figure the $2.50 out of pocket is worth it. The side salads are straight lettuce, onion and dressing. I had one tonight, so there's that I guess. Actually, I could get the side salad to go and take it to my room & put whatever dressing I want on it! :)

The veggie of the day today was hashbrown casserole! lol

Yeah, I'm with you on coleslaw, especially the super-sweet kind.  And, man, that side salad is not worth the extra cash.  I guess it's a fresh food tax, if everything else is stuff that can be frozen and shipped into the park.

Hash browns are not a vegetable, and even less so in casserole form.  Your park chef, man.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

They advertise as a "Southern style" themed restaurant. We've had a huge regime change in parks and supposedly all the restaurants are going to improve. The new restaurant manager here is currently redoing the menu, thankfully. I have been teasing her about adding real vegetables. She says if I will stay here and work, she'll add Brussel sprouts and asparagus.

Their desserts are AMAZING. Which does not help. Not at all.

I had the beginnings of a headache last night.  I woke up with a full Blown "moving makes me sick" migraine.  I called in and went right back to sleep. Around 3, the front desk called to make sure I was still alive. I went to the restaurant around 5 to ask for fruit even though it's a breakfast item.  They took pity on me and made an exception.  Then decided I needed a grilled cheese as well. I'm currently regretting both and can't go back to sleep. If I have the screen totally dimmed, playing  on my phone isn't too bad. Neither is quiet music.

I didn't get to go to town last night; I had forgotten I was on call after work.  I did find out that I should be moving into a house soon, with a kitchen and everything! Same park, just different digs. Still no word on when my long term job will come open. 

I have written the academy bodyweight workout on my marker board.  If my head is cooperating tomorrow, I feel pretty confident I can complete it tomorrow. That will make today the only day this week I didn't get some kind of activity in. :D 

Maybe this day full of sleep will help me get back on track with my sleep schedule, too. 

There. Now I'm happy with my challenge and will stop tinkering. I'm at 18 points. I'll log the rest when I post.
And my sister already came up with a punishment that is really helpful and really tough. No French fries for a month. That'll help me cut out fast food which I need to do anyway.

Saturday evening my dude and the kids were in a vehicle accident. They're 3 hours from this park, so I made it there at about 10. We left the ER around 3:30. The littlest one had to have a few stitches. The boyfriend and the teenager refused care. I suspect the teenagers ankle is at least sprained. I'm off today, and if it still looks bad later, he's going to the doctor. My boyfriend's truck was totaled. I spent Sunday helping him get the truck from the tow place, get the kids settled, and handle all the grown up stuff attached to a car accident. I had to come back to the park Sunday night, and wake up for a 2.5 hours drive to go to central office for a medical committee meeting. I got back from that yesterday afternoon. I had planned on taking a quick nap then headed back to boyfriend's to help out for my 2 days off. Instead, he woke me up at like 11 by calling to tell me I should just stay here and sleep, then drive up the next day.

So I just woke up.

I didn't too terribly on food, even through all the driving. After we got out of the ER, we went to McDonald's, so that was bad, but it was the only thing open at 3 am and we had not eaten since lunch. The next day, I got Chinese for everyone with the intention that it was the healthiest local option (but also because the littlest one has to eat through a straw for a couple days, and she loves egg drop soup). I had some kind of shrimp and vegetables because it didn't have a sauce on it, so I figure that made it the best choice. Yesterday, I grabbed a burger at Sonic. I should've stopped and eaten in a real place. I need to start doing that. The 30 minutes it takes to park and eat something more healthy would be worth it. But really, it's more than 30 minutes because I have to FIND real food. There are fast food burger place right off the main road, and in the places I drive, there may not even be one of those, let alone a smaller healthy restaurant. I saw a salad on McDs menu that didn't look too bad. I could do that and just park to eat instead of driving.

And while they made it sound like I'd move into a house this week, I misunderstood. It will be another 2 weeks or more. *sigh* I'm feeling discouraged and like a screw up, even though I didn't do too bad. It's like a permanent state of not terrible but not good.  I need to get over it.

Oh, gosh, I'm so glad everyone's okay.  That sounds awful.

So you live in a food desert.  Given that, don't sweat the fast food.  Here's a discussion (well, an argument, really) between a fitness blogger and a fast food h8er defending the burger meal.  There's a lot of shaming associate with fast food, but at the end of the day, it's basically just food.  (And I'd argue a lot of the shaming is secretly poverty shaming in disguise, because fast food is seen as a class marker.  Eating out at an Italian restaurant is no better for you, and arguably worse, but no one shames that linguine as diabetes on a plate.)  Don't sweat it.  It's fine.  You'll do better when you can.  It's fuel, and it's not bad fuel.  It may not be your ideal macro and fresh food balance, but it's getting the job done, and there's nothing wrong with it.  You work an active job, you watch what you eat, you try to get fruit and vegetables, you need protein and calories to fuel what you do.  Of all the things worth making yourself feel bad about, this is not one of them.  You're doing the best you can, and it's not even objectively that bad.  Cutting the soda is a good idea for multiple reasons, but don't worry about the fast food yet.  Food deserts are tough.  Don't feel ashamed about the fast food.  Get the veggies everywhere you can, but don't sweat that hamburger.

(This is part of the reason I put a cake challenge on this challenge.  Partly just for a bit of entertainment for the month, but partly to remind myself that food is fuel, not something shameful or moral.  It doesn't have to be perfect.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Oh, gosh, I'm so glad everyone's okay.  That sounds awful.

So you live in a food desert.  Given that, don't sweat the fast food.  Here's a discussion (well, an argument, really) between a fitness blogger and a fast food h8er defending the burger meal.  There's a lot of shaming associate with fast food, but at the end of the day, it's basically just food.  (And I'd argue a lot of the shaming is secretly poverty shaming in disguise, because fast food is seen as a class marker.  Eating out at an Italian restaurant is no better for you, and arguably worse, but no one shames that linguine as diabetes on a plate.)  Don't sweat it.  It's fine.  You'll do better when you can.  It's fuel, and it's not bad fuel.  It may not be your ideal macro and fresh food balance, but it's getting the job done, and there's nothing wrong with it.  You work an active job, you watch what you eat, you try to get fruit and vegetables, you need protein and calories to fuel what you do.  Of all the things worth making yourself feel bad about, this is not one of them.  You're doing the best you can, and it's not even objectively that bad.  Cutting the soda is a good idea for multiple reasons, but don't worry about the fast food yet.  Food deserts are tough.  Don't feel ashamed about the fast food.  Get the veggies everywhere you can, but don't sweat that hamburger.

(This is part of the reason I put a cake challenge on this challenge.  Partly just for a bit of entertainment for the month, but partly to remind myself that food is fuel, not something shameful or moral.  It doesn't have to be perfect.)

QFT

Look, your boyfriend and his kids were in a freaking car wreck. Extenuating circumstances totally apply. And I don't think anyone has any kind of basis to accuse you of doing less than the best that you could.

Food is fuel. Right now, you're taking in a lower octane than you could, but so what? You need the fuel. You know you can do better, and when you can you will. Maybe that's today. Maybe it's not, and if it's not that's totally okay.

There'll be a time for doing what you want to do. When it comes, do it. Until then, do what you need.

• Like 1

Typed a lengthy post, phone ate it. 

I'm alive but water logged.  2 days down, 3 to go. I have to take a CPR & first aid test tomorrow (hahaha).

Then we'll spend even more time in the pool and I'll sleep even more like a rock. 

Doing well on eating also,  even though swimming makes me want to eat everything in sight. Lol

• Like 2

I've heard that swimming works like that. I've seen it that way too - I used to be a poolboy for a community pool that hosted a swim team. There were a lot of incredibly lean people on that team, and between the physical effort and the transfer of heat, it wouldn't surprise me if you were just burning through loads of energy at this point.

As long as you're well. We will carry on.

25 minutes ago, Teirin said:

Glad they're ok.  How is the little one now? 

Hahahahaha, there must always be more yarn.  How's that going?

Congrats on passing your test!

She's good. The wreck was Saturday and she was in school, showing off her stitches on Monday. :) The stitches have since come out. It looks like she may only have a tiny scar, if one at all.

I managed to not buy any yarn. I even walked away from some really fun lookking yarn that was cheap and will make a great beanie. One day. lol

See! yarn.jpg

Thanks!

On 5/17/2016 at 2:20 PM, Kishi said:

Look, your boyfriend and his kids were in a freaking car wreck. Extenuating circumstances totally apply. And I don't think anyone has any kind of basis to accuse you of doing less than the best that you could.

I think that my emotions were bouncy for wreck reasons and spilled over into everything. I felt better after we got things resolved and I had a couple days to come down from that. Though I also feel kind of like I constantly roll from one bout of craziness to the next. But I kinda suspect that's how most people feel.

On 5/17/2016 at 10:36 AM, sarakingdom said:

So you live in a food desert.  Given that, don't sweat the fast food.........  You're doing the best you can, and it's not even objectively that bad.  Cutting the soda is a good idea for multiple reasons, but don't worry about the fast food yet.  Food deserts are tough.  Don't feel ashamed about the fast food.  Get the veggies everywhere you can, but don't sweat that hamburger.

I realize this is a very accurate observation. I think if I start tracking my food again and worry more about getting a decent calorie limit than the fact that I ate McDs chicken nuggets again, I will do better and feel better about the choices but still have a control on it.

I kept my points tallied and so far I have had 15 days of only having breads/pastas with 1 meal, I have worked out 11 days(lifeguard training has helped) though most of those have been walking, hiking or swimming and I need to get some yoga in and get with the bodyweight, I've had 12 days with no soda. I need to keep that number definitely lower than the workout days. Bedtime has been less successful than wake up, but for both on target, I've had 11 days. In my lifegoals, I completed one of the work classes and have made progress on the meal plans. I've been loading recipes into Pepperplate. Most of them are new, so now I need to add some of my old favorites. Then I will make a meal plan.
That's 50 points. I need to really stay on point the rest of the time.

Lifeguard training has been great so far. It's wearing me out but I'm learning tons.

My favorite thing is I can feel and see the improvement. We have measurable & consistent objectives/tasks each day (swim 300 yards, get out of the pool unassisted at the deep end) and they really help me see the progress. The first 300 yards on Sunday was murder. I did it, but I was wheezing, gasping, and burping up chlorine water. The 300 yards today was not really hard till the last 1/3 and I felt much better after it. I know that a large part of that is skills that I have learned, but I can tell some of it is physical improvement. I didn't realize the strength difference until today though. The first day, I couldn't lift myself up on the skimmer in the deep end to get out of the pool. Today, I was able to push completely above the skimmer and look less like a flailing sea lion trying to board a cruise ship.

So I'm loving this and will pursue swimming for fitness in the future. Especially when/if I finally get to go to Lake Chicot. Because they have a pool and are part of why I'm at the training. I'll need to maintain these skills and improve upon them to instruct.

• Like 1

I've done decently on food, horrible on sleep, and above average on being active. That week of lifeguarding helped with the activeness.

Points!

Being active: 7                                                

Limiting Bread: 8   I've done so/so. I've not done well at coming up with no cooking required foods that don't include much bread. But when I eat in restaurants, I've turned down rolls, biscuits, and such. I should be able to move into a house and have a kitchen by the end of next week. YAY!
Limiting soda & Sweet tea: 9

Sleep: 6 

Total: 30 points, so altogether, 80

I realized I left off the end reward and now I don't remember what it was going to be. I'm going to make it an evening off. No cleaning, no organizing, no worrying about it. Just use my kindle and play Kotor or something zone out-y. Or use the time to read All You Need is Kill. :D I've been weeding through things(still) and trying to organize stuff better. I got some packing cubes and am using them to organize some of my moving stuff.

The internet in my lodge room has not been working well at all. I don't know what's going on, but I'm starting to suspect it's satellite internet. The weather has been extremely foggy, rainy, and cloudy lately. Yes, I could ask. No I don't want to.  Every time I ask something, I wind up getting annoyed. I don't like nosiness and busybodies. Being stuck in the lodge where I never escape people I work with is wearing on my nerves. I can't even heat up soup without getting asked a thousand questions. For someone who has lived alone several years, it's a bit much.

Swimming frequently isn't going to be feasible. Unless I move to one of the 2 urban areas of my state. If I get the job I want, i can swim in the summer, but that's best case scenario. If I get back to running and strength train, it'll help me stay in better condition to swim during the summer.

I am trying to use Myfitnesspal again. Sometimes I have enough cell service in certain places to kind of use it regularly. 

I've been reading about PCOS and weight management. I've known I had PCOS since I was 15 but I never factored it into the equation for anything. I knew that it affected insulin and weight loss, but I felt like I'd be using an excuse if I took that into consideration. I've realized lately, through talking with a friend, that I'd been ignoring information that could be used as a tool. A lot of the information I've been reading really matches up with my past success and failures. So I'm going to start reading and learning more about losing weight specifically when you have PCOS and being healthier with taking it into consideration. Firstly, I need to take my medicine and try to track if it actually helps.

Sunday I will get plenty of activity in. I'm going to hike out to a nearby waterfall on the Little Missouri River and explore the trails around there. It's supposed to be a beautiful area. My days off are different & split up this week, so I have Sunday off & then Friday.  Friday, I will hopefully move into the park house, then use my (almost complete) meal plans to buy groceries and do meal prep. YAY!