PinkNinja's Reboot

PinkNinja

FWIW, as I understand it, PCOS plays an incredibly significant role in weight. I have one friend who has it and the medications she takes (in combination with other things that she takes to keep her mentally stable) definitely play a role in how she gains and loses weight. I have another former coworker who had cysts on her ovaries at one point and it definitely impacted her as well.

To be clear, the fundamentals still seemed to apply as far as both were concerned - energy in less than energy out, eating deliciously nutrient dense single-ingredient foods and the like - but we're talking in terms of an emergent system with many factors, and PCOS is definitely one of them.

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

FWIW, as I understand it, PCOS plays an incredibly significant role in weight. I have one friend who has it and the medications she takes (in combination with other things that she takes to keep her mentally stable) definitely play a role in how she gains and loses weight. I have another former coworker who had cysts on her ovaries at one point and it definitely impacted her as well.

To be clear, the fundamentals still seemed to apply as far as both were concerned - energy in less than energy out, eating deliciously nutrient dense single-ingredient foods and the like - but we're talking in terms of an emergent system with many factors, and PCOS is definitely one of them.

From what I understand, the main problem is the insulin resistance that tends to accompany PCOS. Like you said, it is still energy & energy out, but it seems like you just need to have less in and more out. Your body's normal amounts of insulin get less results than normal. It also explains why the medicine my doctor suggested forever ago is also a medication for diabetes. Basically, everything I read tells me I should stop being an whiner and start taking my medicine again(which I did last week). And lay off carbs, which I already knew I did better on lower carb diets from past experience. I need to read more about how insulin and other hormones interact because apparently the metformin is also supposed to help with testosterone levels.
I've also read a couple of articles that talk about exercise helping with the insulin resistance, and that daily strength training or cardio are recommended, with a combination of the 2. I've got several articles from an endocrinology journal to read about related topics. 

I realized I can put pdfs on my kindle and read them. I'm thrilled. I copied all the stuff I need to read for work over and some journal articles, as well as some of the GMB guides I haven't gotten to yet. I'm taking my Kindle and my hammock and going to relax and read tomorrow. :)

• Like 2

Last day of the challenge, and I get 1 for working out, 1 for sleep, 1 for no bread, and 1 for no soda.

Over the challenge, I did get 2 meal plans done. I am LOVING Pepperplate, especially with the apps syncing it up across my phone, kindle and computer. I have gotten several recipes loaded into it and am looking forward to having internet and a kitchen to really make use of it. I might even eventually get rid of the meal binder and just use the app. Maybe. I like paper.. So 2 points

I paid my ticket & a credit card with my TR1, not as much as I'd have liked because I helped my guy with wreck costs. He'll pay me back and that'll go to the credit card. I also have another TR1 coming next week. That should finish off the credit card as I don't have a stupid ticket to  worry about. 2 more

i updated my state application, so 1 point. But now, I have 3 more certifications coming that I will need to add when I get the certificates.

I actually did 2 of my NIMS classes. The active shooter one was interesting. Not so much because it was useful but because it was interesting to see how useless a standard class like that can be for parks. I mean, how am I going to barricade myself in a room if there's an active shooter in a campground? But I can also see how it would be a useful class for more normal situations. So 1 point

90 points total, so $5 in my fun fund. Yay! I will have to put it in when I get paid Friday.

I bought more yarn. :( The older kiddo wanted me to make him a beanie with a really specific yarn he found. He was the main reason I learned to knit beanies, so I could hardly say no. But I also started knitting a beanie for my guy and a small purse for the youngest kiddo both out of yarn I already had to use it up. So yay. I also have some hot pads planned to weave which will use up a bit and not take too long. They will be quick to warp and quicker to weave and use up probably 2 or 3 skeins.

I'm halfway there on my dietbet! I've got 11 days left, and I really think I'll make it.

I'm looking forward to the next challenge. I'm going to focus on fat loss. I'll hopefully be in a house, so meals will be easier.

48 minutes ago, Teirin said:

Excellent plan.  Reading and a hammock sound lovely.

Glad you're reading up on the PCOS and working out what will give you the best results.  Taking the medication should make you feel better in general?

ecf7c5fc6e4d1911d77b2efa50868413.jpg

Which GMB guides are you reading? 

It was rainy so I wound up cleaning and getting ready to move to the house instead of the hammock, but it was still a nice relaxing day. I'm off again on Friday and am aiming for hiking and hammock time then. :)

The medicine actually messes up my stomach and gives me headaches. But I found some articles that suggest why I have those problems and solutions to them. So I'm going to try them out.

I downloaded the getting started guide and the "Why it Hurts and How to Fix it" guide.

• Like 1

So, if I'm reading it right, it looks like a lot of your life goals came together rather nicely. And you're getting ready to use your diet to focus on fat loss in the next challenge. All right! Excellent!

So, all things considered, I'd say things went very well here. You kept going and learned much. Now you can apply what you've learned.

• Like 1