SkyeRose back and seeking balance - levelling up safely

SkyeRose

After a few years off, many chronic and on-going health problems, still to be resolved, I am back. 

Each challenge, I have pushed myself and either achieved my goal or come close, however this time is different. This time I need to find balance between my physical health and my fitness goals. Each of these pull me in competing directions and fitness always wins at the expense of my physical well-being with frequent injuries and reoccurring fatigue.  With this in mind my goals need to show this and need to alter this mind set. 

I was set in a guild when I was last active in the forums, as a assassin, however, no longer able to do yoga, I am not sure where I fit, I don't want to feel like I am less then others as I can not and should not do certain activities, as this is an area of my life I am still struggling with. I like the idea of being a rebel where I can do a little of everything as I can no longer focus my skills on a single area until I heal my joints and my overall health. 

Main Quest

I am always challenging myself and pushing my limits, this year has been know as the year of adventure! 

- I have signed up and am finishing my first half marathon in early July! 

- I am completing an 3 day, 54km hike in September with my best friend and my husband. 

- I leave on the trip of a life time in November and trekking Everest Base Camp. 

Goal 1 - mandatory rest days

I will rest at least 1 day a week from all planned exercise for the full four weeks. 

Goal 2 - focus on getting out rather than distance. Stop if pain reaches an 8 out of 10!

With my half-marathon fast approaching (July 3rd), I keep pushing myself despite my extremely painful joints and reoccurring illnesses. I know and am confident in my ability to complete the race in a decent time, so instead of beating myself up if I don't complete the distance on the PLAN each day I need to ensure that I just GET OUT!  If the pain is too serve and over an 8 (with 10 being eaten by a shark), then I stop, regardless of the plan, my feelings or how far I then need to walk home. 

Goal 3 - Complete all of my physio workouts

For 3 weeks I will complete all set workouts from my physio at least 3 days a week. I have been slack and this has impacted my other workouts and this needs to be prioritised. 

Goal 4 - No alcohol or grains

This is a bet with my husband that we have had now for 2 weeks and it finishes at the end of June - I just can't forget it as I HATE to loose. I have a few big events coming up and this will get more difficult, however, I am hoping that as we are doing it together this will be the easiest goal to achieve. 

• Like 1

Skye Rose - Seeking Balance 
Current Challenge

Inspiration and genius--one and the same. - Victor Hugo

Fall seven times and stand up eight - Japanese proverb

So reading some more posts and doing some thinking on my morning run, I want to add a few more details to my challenge. 

1) There is no grading scale, I will pass every aspect and I will  stick to my goals. Adding grading only adds stress for me additionally, I can let myself off with less then perfect effort because 'P's get degrees'. I can't afford to fail this and continue to be sick, even if it is just a little bit. 

2) There is no prize. This is about taking care of myself and any reward that is food related, cheat days or meals completely contradicts my goals so I wont set them. I don't want to create a mindset of 'if I work out I can eat crap', or 'if I rest then I get an adult beverage'. I want an mindset where it is okay to take care of myself because it is. Also my reward will be a more balanced view of life and hopefully a healthier body. 

Side note - scales are evil and are not to be trusted! My new scales this morning told me that my body fat percentage places me in the obese category. At 60kg and 32% body fat, I have some way to go, however, I refuse to wear the label obese. Cuddly, chunkimon, yes, obese, no! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Sounds like you have some pretty solid reasons to meet your goals, and some great adventures lined up!

Remember, rewards can be as little as curling up with your favourite book or movie guilt free, to something awesome for your adventures you may no have otherwise got. I can definitely understand not doing food, but if you start to find the abstract only reward a little tricky, there are heaps of other non-food options that might work for you :)

On 09/05/2016 at 3:35 PM, Dawnwings said:

Sounds like you have some pretty solid reasons to meet your goals, and some great adventures lined up!

Remember, rewards can be as little as curling up with your favourite book or movie guilt free, to something awesome for your adventures you may no have otherwise got. I can definitely understand not doing food, but if you start to find the abstract only reward a little tricky, there are heaps of other non-food options that might work for you :)

My reward this week for actually taking a day off work (SHOCK HORROR) after being quiet sick this week, is a night out at the comedy show! So excited as it is been a disastrous week physically and emotionally. 

I did though each day get dressed for my workout and show up. I did get plenty of rest. I did meet my goals!

Current Challenge

Hey! How goes it? 

On 5/13/2016 at 4:50 PM, SkyeRose said:

I did though each day get dressed for my workout and show up. I did get plenty of rest. I did meet my goals!

Really like hearing this. It's so important to share your successes! Congrats.

I hope you're feeling much better.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!