What's up, NF rebels?!?

I've been looking around the NerdFitness site for a while now, and I'd have to say it's pretty impressive.

I've also been looking to change my habits... and my lifestyle as a whole. I just never really started anything until I finally put my foot down a few hours ago.

The only problem is, I am a teenager who relies on the food that my parents stock the cabinets and refrigerator with. And our lifestyle isn't really good in terms of eating and health.......

......Like when I finally said to myself, enough is enough, and I registered for the NerdFitness community. They had brought home some of the most disgusting, greasy, fattening, fast food I had ever seen. One look at the burger and I was ready to vomit. It was shiny, the grease was literally dripping from the wrappers. But I ate it like a good little girl who didn't want to waste the food that my darling parents had spent money on. Now, I as I type this I am absolutely sick to my stomach. I get extremely sick after I eat, most of the time. I feel sluggish, and Ill, and I get stomach aches, and it's not pleasant at all. But, on the rare occasion, when I can get my hands on real food I feel 100 times better than normal.

I also get cramps in my muscles and even though I don't look it, I am extremely out of shape. I want to get off my butt for once and do something active. I've realized that if I do some kind of physical activity, I'm at my happiest. The only problem is I can only stand it for extremely short periods of times, because, like I said, I am extremely out of shape.

Now, I'm not here looking to lose weight or anything. But if I continue like this, in the future, I know I'll blow up like a whale. So, I am looking for a change now so I can prevent that from happening.

I can't wait to start getting active in the NF forum and community and I hope to receive lots of valuable tips and information. You guys look like a pretty good bunch... who possibly won't bite.....

Hey Xambgii, welcome to the rebellion! I think it's a good thing that you realize your 'rents choice of groceries isn't the best out there, especially if it's causing you to feel distressed. Does your parents know that you feel sick and get cramps after eating fast food, and are they aware how bad most fast food is on their health? Maybe they just don't know the facts, and if you let them know what's really going on they might be more inclined to buy more real food.

Welcome!

It's unfortunate that your living situation doesn't accomodate what you would like to eat. Would your parents be open to cooking real food? Or buying real ingredients for you to learn to cook for yourself? There are heaps of people here who had no previous experience at cooking their own meals, and also a few professionals!

What sort of physical activity do you enjoy doing atm? I started off just walking, gradually walking further and further. I was doing 45km (28miles) per week, but now I am concentrating on building muscle combined with running.

Good luck with it all!

Welcome to the club!

Hey Xambgii, welcome to the rebellion! I think it's a good thing that you realize your 'rents choice of groceries isn't the best out there, especially if it's causing you to feel distressed. Does your parents know that you feel sick and get cramps after eating fast food, and are they aware how bad most fast food is on their health? Maybe they just don't know the facts, and if you let them know what's really going on they might be more inclined to buy more real food.

They buy those kind of groceries because they're cheaper and quicker to make when my siblings' baseball and softball seasons roll around. And they obviously know that it's not good because, every once in a while, they try to convert to eating in a healthy lifestyle but always go back to what they usually buy. I'll make sure to tell them about what's going on. Thank you for the advice and also for welcoming me to the forum.

Welcome!

It's unfortunate that your living situation doesn't accomodate what you would like to eat. Would your parents be open to cooking real food? Or buying real ingredients for you to learn to cook for yourself? There are heaps of people here who had no previous experience at cooking their own meals, and also a few professionals!

What sort of physical activity do you enjoy doing atm? I started off just walking, gradually walking further and further. I was doing 45km (28miles) per week, but now I am concentrating on building muscle combined with running.

Good luck with it all!

Welcome to the club!

They have made some meals before but they use the instant and the shake and bake stuff. So, I don't know... I've tried my hand at cooking before. I'm still pretty much a beginner, though I would love to learn. Maybe I can get some help here.

And for physical activity, I used to play a lot of sports but not so much anymore. I've never really tried anything that I've actually stuck with. But I always enjoy running and walking on my own. I'm thinking, that if I can successfully change up my diet and get in shape, I might join my school's track and field team next year.

Thanks for the advice and welcome, by the way!

Welcome and good for you for trying to be healthy! I have to say as a mom, I get why your mom does fast food during baseball season. I tried hard not do, but fixing meals is tough around that schedule. Would yor parents be willing to buy sandwich fixings? Lunchmeat isn't the healthiest, but it's better than fast food. Or those ready made salads, then you can add tuna or lunchmeat. I think if you tell your mom about your stomach cramps and how you want to be helathier, then talk about ways you can help fixing some of the meals, your parents may be willing to work with you. As a parent, fast food is sometimes the I'm too tired and busy to think of a better plan option, so if you can help in some ways to make it easier they may actually be excited to get helathier for themselves too.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

They have made some meals before but they use the instant and the shake and bake stuff. So, I don't know... I've tried my hand at cooking before. I'm still pretty much a beginner, though I would love to learn. Maybe I can get some help here.

There's some pretty good recipes on the forums here that are easy to make, try your hand at some of them. Who knows, you might be able to convert your family! If you click on my blog link you'll find some as well, I try to keep em simple and healthy.

If in doubt, tell us the stuff you like to eat and I'm sure one of us can tell you how to make it easier and healthier :)

I'd have to say, you guys are extremely friendly and helpful.

I'm going to take all of your advice into consideration and try to see if my parents can make changes in the shopping. Then I'll start trying to make my own food.

I took a look around the forum and also Blaizen's blog and I think there's some pretty good stuff on here.

Thanks all for the advice and the welcomes. I really appreciate it.