• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jessebel

Jessebel: Take one

Greetings from North Carolina! 

My name is Jessica. While there are quite a few things that I would like to change about my current way of living, for this initial challenge, I am going to work on continuing some of the more positive trends in my life to solidify them into habits. 

Diet

Drink water when I wake up and before bed: I drink so many things that are not water. I would prefer to drink basically all water in the future. This is my attempt at a slow introduction. 

Eat at least one serving of vegetables everyday: Goals like this make me a little sad, but I start where I am. And my current way of living means that this goal is a challenge for me. 

Fitness

Walk daily: I enjoy being outside, moving about, and spending time with my dogs (and my lady). If I walk every day, I will be able to do all of those things. All of the things!

Strength train 3x per week at home: This is currently pretty vague only because I am really unsure of what I want to do. Now, I am just doing the basic bodyweight workout, but I may change it up before the end. 

Life

Sleep at least 8 hours per night: Ultimately, I want to sleep every night AND wake up earlier like an adult type person. 

Meditate 10 minutes most days (5/7 days weekly): Because I already meditate some, this should not be super challenging for me. Ultimately, I will want to make meditation a daily part of my life. 

I will be posting more and commenting on some peoples posts tomorrow. For now, I am going to just work on my first life goal for this challenge (that would be the sleep one). 

Peace out. 

Word to your mother.

• Like 5

Day one: Killed it 

Okay. That may be a bit of an overstatement, but I did complete all of my goals for the challenge. Check, check, check. 

Day two? Bring it on. 

• Like 1

As a fellow NC resident, welcome to your first challenge! It looks like you have a good set of goals to start out with. Small, simple goals are the best to build habits. Keep it going!

• Like 1

Thank you, thank you! 

My tendency is to go all or nothing. While that has worked for me in the past, it hasn't worked very long. Keeping it simple will be a challenge for me in and of itself, but I really do believe that is what I need to do for lasting change. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jessebel said:

Thank you, thank you! 

My tendency is to go all or nothing. While that has worked for me in the past, it hasn't worked very long. Keeping it simple will be a challenge for me in and of itself, but I really do believe that is what I need to do for lasting change. 

I have the same difficulty: I like to throw myself into something 100%, and then I burn out as spectacularly as I started. I definitely recommend the "keep it simple" approach for your best chance of success. It feels slow and boring at first, but like the proverbial tortoise and the hare, it is amazing how much more progress you make sometimes when you just take it one step at a time.

Best of luck! :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the support on my post. Just wanted to drop in and say it looks like you've got some great goals! Glad to see you're focused on forming habits and not pushing yourself too hard. That's definitely my approach, haha. I hope you had as much success with Days 2 and 3! 

• Like 1

Thanks all! Things are still going well (with the exception of meditation *ahem*).

I have also not been doing a great job of keeping it simple. In addition to eating much better and exercising more, I am also trying out intermittent fasting. The benefit of this challenge is that it helps me to prioritize the things on my list without becoming to obsessed with these side things. 

Water drinking in the AM and PM has also helped me with taking my medications as prescribed, so bonus there! 

I want to write so many things, but I also want to limit my time on these forums so that I can focus on, well, not being online. 

Anyway.

Go, team, go!

• Like 1

Dude. 

It is seriously really hard for me to not go all or nothing. When I start focusing on my health, I start exercising more and eating better. That sounds good in theory, but in practice the result is a crazy number of changes all at once. Right now, I feel great! I am just trying to maintain an awareness of burnout, and I am keeping focused on my goals which are intentionally simple.

Good times.

• Like 1

Due to the crazy going (described in previous post), I decided to change my goals a little bit for next week. While I want to keep it simple, I need it to be challenging enough that I do not lose interest. 

Dun dada dun

Week 2

-Walk to work once a week (*note* It is only a mile)

-Sleep 8 hours every night

-Drink 4 glasses of water per day (including the AM and PM water which have helped with my medication management)

-Eat at least one vegetable a day

-Strength train 3x per week 

latest?cb=20110809155936 bam!

And that is all. 

I feel so much better now!

• Like 1