• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ORazor

ORazor Returns

Hello Fellow Warriors!

Been a long ass time since I was active on NF.  Back in 2014, I had made some pretty good strength gains doing SL and 5/3/1 (325DL, 185BP, 135OHP, 225SQ), at about a 165 skinny fat physique.  While I got way stronger, I never saw the payoff in my physique, even after along 10 months of lifting. 

I got involved with an epic startup company, and everything went out the window for about a year.  Then in August of 2015, I started Body Beast (our startup was basically a bunch of dudes working out of a house, and we all took shifts using the home gym doing BB).  I was super duper weak after my year away from lifting, and BB is seriously no joke.  But it's basically super high volume with minimal rest between sets, so you're limited to doing lower weights.  

However, all that volume with BB and some decent eating finally put some muscle on me.  I'm just short of 160lbs right now, but with bigger arms/chest/legs than the 165 skinny fat that I was after after SS and 5/3/1.  That said, I'm not nearly as strong as I was, even though I now have more muscle mass.

So where am I going with this?  PPL, bitches.  I get to (1) lift heavy ass weights in my first exercise - something I haven't done in almost 2 years - and (2) get all that volume that I now know I need in the accessory movements so I can keep getting beefier.

Goal 1: Lift Heavy Ass Weights

I'll have more on my routine later, but needless to say, I'm doing 5 sets of a major compound lift as my first exercise, followed by an AMRAP set.  This means Deadlift, BP, Squat, OHP, and Penally Rows.  I'm still stuck in the home gym for now, so I'll be slightly limited to doing dumbbell BP, OHP, and Squats.  Not ideal, but at least I get to go heavy on them.  Time to stop being weaker now (when I have more muscle) than when I looked weak (but had really focused on lifting heavy, and was actually decently strong).

image24.jpg

Goal 2:  Volume Volume Volume

Listen people.  I get it.  Stronglifts is awesome.  So is 5/3/1.  But my biggest issue was not putting enough priority on the accessory lifts/volume because I was obsessed with the compounds.  The compound lifts do not give me mirror gains.  The accessories do - not quickly, mind you.  But for me it does work.  So yeah, I'm keeping up with my mirror gains, and doing all sorts of volume associated with my accessory lifts.  

72c233b13ebebbac25dd2206653997402750cc36

Goal 3: Diet

I've lost a couple inches off my skinny fat waist, and I want to keep that going.  I tightly control my breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and just try not to be an idiot for dinner.  So yeah, that's not really enough to bulk on, but it keeps me around 2000 calories (depending on the dinner), and I'm slowly ditching the belly, and I seem to still be slowly putting on little bits of muscle.

Oh yeah, and I don't drink during the week anymore - I used to be one of those 2-3 beers a night bros.

diet-diary-funny.jpg

Goal 4:  Take Selfies!

Let's be honest.  Most of us aren't doing this because they just want to "feel better".  I, for one, want to look better.  I'm not good at taking pictures.  But when I do, and it's a good one, it gets me pumped to get back in the gym.  So here's the first one.  Look at those shoulders!

5821cba5e0721caa67b4fe8ed96ea854.jpg

Well there you have it.  Lift heavy.  Do lots of accessory volume.  Keep your diet together.  Admire yourself in the mirror.  And then post about it on the interwebs.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 2

Walked 18 holes of golf today, so got some decent exercise. Fixed the back fence and sprayed for ants. #adult

Tomorrow. Deadlifts. Yum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:
Selfie challenge! Rawk. Here for accessories and not liking selfies  

I have only just begun to selfie.

Wife is out of town for the week, so I get to batch cook for myself this week. Rainy Day Rice, baby.

f5cac9a0bf183990428a8fa93878948b.jpg

cf7ba7527165d728f0d2e3840f0ce2f6.jpg

Puppy pic, because... Puppy!!

a73f6deb0379688bb4afeb32589fd2d8.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Yes! Powerbuilding! FTW!

Also, I vaguely remember you from a couple years ago on here.

*waves*  

I love your name!

Who's this guy posting on my battle log and putting up pics of food? 

Ok I'm here now. 

Lol. Welcome to Casa ORazor. Home of progressively heavy deadlifts, food, and selfies. Come and go as you please!

13 hours ago, ORazor said:

Lol. Welcome to Casa ORazor. Home of progressively heavy deadlifts, food, and selfies. Come and go as you please!

Go heavy or go home. 

• Like 1

Long travel day to NYC and back. Had most of a Dominos pizza tonight. #sorrynotsorry

But no beer!

Tomorrow is push, and push I shall!

• Like 1

9f5af6bbd179b863b7be9c71551571fa.jpg

So technically, after last week I should have increased from 60s to 65s on my dumbell press. But my gym doesn't have 65s, so I would have had to make the leap to 70s. That scared me a bit, so I made a deal with myself. If I was able to do 5x5 with the 60s (previously I had done 5x4), then next week I'd move to the 70s (where I'd have to hit at least 5x3).

Boom, I crushed it, hitting 5x5 pretty easily - that's a rep PR for me. I also hit 12 reps on some of my accessory lifts, so it's time to move those up!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ORazor said:

9f5af6bbd179b863b7be9c71551571fa.jpg

So technically, after last week I should have increased from 60s to 65s on my dumbell press. But my gym doesn't have 65s, so I would have had to make the leap to 70s. That scared me a bit, so I made a deal with myself. If I was able to do 5x5 with the 60s (previously I had done 5x4), then next week I'd move to the 70s (where I'd have to hit at least 5x3).

Boom, I crushed it, hitting 5x5 pretty easily - that's a rep PR for me. I also hit 12 reps on some of my accessory lifts, so it's time to move those up!

Nicely done progressing when the situation wasn't optimal. Keep gettin dem gainz, bro!

• Like 1

Legs Sets Reps Weight Total Reps
Dumbell Squat 5 3 70 20 RPR
Dumbell Squat AMRAP 1 AMRAP 60 RPR 20
Dumbell Lunges 3 10 20  
Dumbell Bulgarian Split Squat 4 10 15  
Standing Calf Raises 3 12 45

PRs... PRs... everywhere.  Leg day, brah.

No selfie today - I only take selfies with an arm pump, obviously.  

4485660.jpg

• Like 1

21194119eea92fbc2f1131c4a2855a65.jpg

I missed two days during the week, so went into the office today to get another pull day in. Overall felt like shit, after all the travel this week. But I got in and got it done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORazor said:

I missed two days during the week, so went into the office today to get another pull day in. Overall felt like shit, after all the travel this week. But I got in and got it done.

Woot for gettin er done! Travel killed all my ish last month... still recovering :P 

Woot for gettin er done! Travel killed all my ish last month... still recovering  

Travel is such a bitch! Saps the life out of you!

#blackandwhite

58c1d6d14e33a45028b7366a9cfa7823.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ORazor said:

Travel is such a bitch! Saps the life out of you!

#blackandwhite

58c1d6d14e33a45028b7366a9cfa7823.jpg

Ooh, artsy. Black & white. Mirrors. Stripes. I like.

OHP Push Day

Push 2 Sets Reps Weight Total Reps
Dumbell OHP 5 3 45 RPR 20
Dumbell OHP AMRAP 1 AMRAP 36 RPR 15
Flat Dumbell Bench 3 10 50  
Incline Dumbell Bench 3 10 40  
Standing Tricept Extensions 3 10 45 Increase
Shrugs 3 10 60  
Lateral Raises 3 15 12  
Close Grip Dumbell Press 3 10 40 Increase

The seated dumbbell OHP with the 45s was pretty damn tough, but I ground out 5 sets of 4 (20 total reps).  That's a rep PR for me.  I'd be tempted to try to move up to 50's next time, but I have to take the long view.  Might be better to get 5X5 with the 45s first. 

Got a super pump from the accessory exercises (which, of course, is basically the whole point of doing a PPL program!).  As I was able to get sets of 12 with the Triceps Extensions and Close Grip Press, I'll be increasing those too!  Selfies soon!

• Like 1