Ripple: Stronger, more agile, and ready to fight the monkey.

Ripple

Ohai. I'm here. Finally.

First: I'm making the leap and declaring myself an Assassin. Falling in love with bodyweight strength training in the last challenge was both unexpected and totally awesome. 

Second: I'm dropping the Skyrim analogies from this challenge. While the concept of grinding remains a HUGE perspective shift for me, and one I will continue to carry forward, trying to make my updates fit a mold started to feel like work and make me not want to update. I just want to spew out whatever is in my brains, ok? Ok. 

Third: Splitting this challenge into two main categories: getting stronger+ more agile and fighting the (procrastination) monkey. This challenge is really focused on daily habits which is going to be hard but it is also oh-so-necessary in my life right now. 

Get Stronger + More Agile 

Get Lean: X/28

Daily Tracking + Under TDEE

Allowances for flexing are okay - meaning I can plan for a splurge but cannot splurge if I wasn't under on other days to make up for it. 

Get Flexible: X/12

Molding Mobility + Starting Stretching OR Yoga: 3x per week 

I want to start doing more mobility work on my rest days. Molding Mobility + Starting Stretching only takes about 20 minutes in total, so no excuses on this one! 

Get Strong: X/12

Bodyweight Routine: 3x per week

Starting Stats: 

Spoiler

Weight: SW 197 / CW 179.2 

Bodyweight PRs: 

Plank - 60s

Left Side Plank - 25s

Right Side Plank - 30s

Reverse Plank - 60s

Hollow Hold* - 40s

Arch Hold - 35s 

Wall Plank (Handstand Practice)**: 25s w/ 2 step walk up. 

Support Practice: 35s

Pushups: (Incline, #7***) - 8 / 8 / 8 

L-Sits (Assisted) - 20s / 16s / 15s

Squats (Chair): 4L / 4R

Rows (Incline #12***) - 6 / 6 / 6

* Legs up significantly, lowering legs will be more important than increasing time. 
** Working on walking into a wall assisted handstand. Working on bails will be as important as increasing hold time and ability to walk closer to the wall. 
*** I'm using the safety bars on my power rack for these moves. The lower the number, the closer I'm getting to the floor which is the goal. 

Fight the Monkey:

Habit Tracker: X/28

I created a not-nearly-as-pretty habit tracker inspired by @Briniel's bullet journal. There are six daily items and two bonus tracking areas.

Habit Tracker Info:

Spoiler

1. Morning Routine: wash face, brush teeth, get dressed

I stink at doing more than throwing on some clothes on mornings I don't have clients and I think that carries through my day by making me feel lazy. 

2. Quickstart: One pomodoro within 10 minutes of first sitting at my desk. 

The time I actually sit at my desk varies daily because I sometimes have a morning client. So, I thought this was the best way to temper desk-procrastination. 

3. Inbox Zero

Every day, either finish emails or schedule time for larger-scale emails and archive the email itself. 

4. Chores: Make bed daily, and complete one chore pomodoro. 

Another procrastination battling technique - usually one pomodoro leads to several more when I have the time. 

5. Evening Routine: shower, wash face, put on pajamas, and have bag + clothes ready for morning by 10pm. 

50% of my bedtime procrastination battle is doing these things. I really hate showering. No, I like showering but I hate dealing with all of the extra female-things that showering requires like shaving my legs and blowdrying my hair. Having them done by 10pm will eliminate a large barrier to me getting to bed at a decent hour. 

6. Out of office by 11pm. 

The other 50% of my bedtime procrastination battle is peeling myself away from my computer at night. I'm either working on shit I didn't get done earlier in the day because I was procrastinating, or I'm down the internet-rabbit-hole and literally just procrastinating on going to bed. The real trick here is I am going to allow myself to take my laptop out of my office so if I do something stupid and REALLY need to keep working I can- or if I really insist on internet'ing in bed (which never happens) I can. My laptop is not my primary machine - I have a desktop computer that I much prefer to work on so that is incentive to not fuck around on work things until late at night. 

Bonus 1: Extra Business Pomodoros 

Bonus 2: Extra Home Pomodoros 

Not sure how or if bonuses will play into my scoring, but I wanted a place to track pomodoros in general. I have 60 available slots for each, filling even 50% of this would be amazing. 

• Like 1

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

I love your challenge! Your goals are so close to mine, I think I could just copy most of that and make it my own (except I already set up my own :P ).

I'll be doing bodyweight workout AMRAPs today to see where I'm at (plan on improving those a LOT over the next few weeks) so it'll be interesting to see how we compare. I think your push and pull game is stronger than mine, but I'm stronger on squats and l-sits. We'll see :)

• Like 1

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

5 hours ago, Briniel said:

I love your challenge! Your goals are so close to mine, I think I could just copy most of that and make it my own (except I already set up my own :P ).

I'll be doing bodyweight workout AMRAPs today to see where I'm at (plan on improving those a LOT over the next few weeks) so it'll be interesting to see how we compare. I think your push and pull game is stronger than mine, but I'm stronger on squats and l-sits. We'll see :)

Oh man, my l-sit game is pathetic! I'm still sort of dinking around with where I should be in squat progressions - I focused really hard in the first few weeks in getting a perfect form deep bodyweight squat that I could stay in for at least 30 seconds and I can now do 60 seconds during Starting Stretching. Last workout was my first attempt at single leg box squats from a chair and oh man the DOMs after were brutal. At any rate we should definitely compare notes - I'm excited that you're in a similar place! 

I followed your challenge and I'm excited to catch up on it tonight or tomorrow - for now I've got an excited 5 year old that can't wait to go hiking for Mother's Day! :D 

13 hours ago, Ripple said:

Bodyweight Routine: 3x per week

13 hours ago, Ripple said:

Plank - 60s

Left Side Plank - 25s

Right Side Plank - 30s

Reverse Plank - 60s

Hollow Hold* - 40s

Arch Hold - 35s 

Wall Plank (Handstand Practice)**: 25s w/ 2 step walk up. 

Support Practice: 35s

Pushups: (Incline, #7***) - 8 / 8 / 8 

L-Sits (Assisted) - 20s / 16s / 15s

Squats (Chair): 4L / 4R

Rows (Incline #12***) - 6 / 6 / 6

Is this your routine?  If not, what will your routine look like?

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

1 hour ago, Hazard said:

Is this your routine?  If not, what will your routine look like?

That's most of it. I'm doing the recommended routine from reddit's bodyweight fitness subreddit if you want to see the routine and progressions. :) 

I left out the dynamic stretches before and starting stretching after because there's nothing really to track there in terms of progression. I'm also skipping the first pair in the routine (pullups / dips) because the routine calls for leaving those out until you reach diamond push ups and horizontal rows, both of which are probably farther in the future than the end of this challenge unless I end up surprising myself! 

Get Lean: 1/28

Today's food is tracked so far. About to go make myself a monstrous snack because I only ate one meal today and I am way too far under goal currently. That will be tracked too, no worries there! 

Get Flexible: 0/12

Accidental rest day. I had every intention of getting to this today but let it get too late in the day to accomplish this and my habit tracker goals of bedtime routine before 10pm. I'll have to be more intentional about when/how this fits into my day moving forward, in the meantime I can still hit my goal of 3x this week easily if I hit the rest of my bodyweight rest days. 

Get Strong: 0/12

Rest day today, so this is expected. 

Habit Tracker: 1/28

Everything is done except for out of office by 11pm. It's 10:36pm right now and this is the last thing I plan on doing before I walk out of my office for the evening. 

Habit Tracker Bonus: 1

Snuck in an extra pomodoro today for business - started to write myself a note to send a promotional email tomorrow morning and decided to just get it done tonight instead. Feels good to have that time-sensitive task off my plate! 

Thoughts:

Aside from motivating myself to do my Get Flexible task today, I am really happy with how my day went. As it turns out, coloring in little boxes to signify that I did a thing is super effective, so much so that the notion of getting to color a box in the Bonus Business Pomodoros category was enough to motivate me to complete a task now rather than putting it off until tomorrow.  Whee!

• Like 2