Lifting the heavy things

Alright, I have been busy as heckkkkkk. But still working out. I may not recall exact reps and weights but I will write up what I can remember.

the 27th (day 2).

Outrageous arms day!!

I did my usual 30 minutes warmup treadmill/foam roll/stretch/band work.

On arm day I like to superset, since I am using opposing muscles I don't really feel the need to take long breaks.

First pair of exercises.

Incline db curls

15kg*8

17.5kg*6

15kg*8

Seated overhead db tricep extension

15kg*8

17.5kg*7

15*8

Second set of exercises. (once again P = Plates for cable machine)

reverse bb curls

27.5kg*8

32.5kg*8

32.5kg*7

Cable tricep pushdown (small V attachment)

8P*10

10P*7

8P*9

final exercises

db concentration curls

15kg*8

15kg*7

15kg*6

super close grip pushup (feet on bench)

Done done doneskies. Only takes me 30 minutes or so for this workout, but I usually do it on mondays after 10 hours work and 3 hours uni. Good times.

Lifting the Heavy Things - My Battlelog

BF3 rawr

"Those who tell the truth shall die. Those who tell the truth shall live forever".

28th (day 3)

Leggy Leg day.

This was a relatively low volume leg day for me, usually I will push a little lower weight with much more reps, but it's how it turned out this time.

bb Squat (ATG Highbar)

70kg*8

110kg*8

130kg*6

150kg*5

110kg*12

db split squat

30kg*6

35kg*5

40kg*5 Gives a pretty wicked forearm burn holding 80kg for that long haha.

Hip Thrusters

30kg*10

60kg*10

80kg*8

80kg*8 My first time doing these, so just getting a feel for them.

I would usually do stiff left deads for glute/hams.

Seated calf Raise

105kg*8 warmup

130kg*7

105kg*9

105kg*8

Seated calf press (straight leg)

20P*12

20P*11

20P*11

20P*10

I was pretty knackered from work so I didn't go all out. I would usually do ham curls and quad extensions, but they have been making my knees feel a bit funky so I'm giving them a rest.

BF3 rawr

"Those who tell the truth shall die. Those who tell the truth shall live forever".

Chesticle wednesday the 29th (day 4)

Just noting that for every exercise I do (regardless of muscle group/day) I'm mainly just focusing on very slow controlled reps unless stated otherwise haha.

start with regular warmup junk.(30 mins)

bb Bench press

60kg*8

100kg*7

80kg*9

80kg*7

Incline db fly (I keep the elbow flex minimal but not quite straight)

15kg*8

17.5kg*8

20kg*7

20kg*6

single arm chest press

6P*8

7P*8

8P*7

8P*6

Stavs' chesticle wonderland (Some wonderful exercise I love to think I made up, but I'm sure I didn't. Gives the most obscene chest pump I have ever had).

Basically it is this exercise, palms facing inwards, but hold your hands touching at the top for a few seconds then do a very slow cable-fly negative. Then just do a quick bicep curl to get back into starting position. Light weight on this works well, you will fatigue a lot faster than you think... at least I do.

2P*8

3P*6

2.5P*6

2P*7

Lastly I do some extra chesty stuff that also helps with my shoulder stability, post surgery.

I do 4 rotations of

10 pushups, both hands on a swiss ball.

5 pushups, left hand on medicine ball

5 pushups, right hand on medicine ball.

5 pushups, ultra wide hands.

That's all for now.

I'm resting thursday and trying a new gym on Friday for a giant back session. Yay.

BF3 rawr

Wooooh, badass back day.

did my regular warmup.

Deadlift

60kg*8

100kg*6

140kg*6

180kg*6

200kg*4 Most reps on the weight so far, wooh. no belt/straps/chalk/blah blah

Wide grip chins

When I fail on these I jump up and do slow negatives until I hit at least 6 reps.

Straight arm Pulldowns

5P*8

6P*8

7P*7

Seated row(the kind you load up the round plates on)

40kg*8

85kg*8 (lolllolololol, I didn't think this new gym had 25kg plates, I was wrong. It's a pity they are identical. didn't notice until I was nearly done.)

125kg*8

120kg*8

Lat Pulldown(close-grip rowing attachment)

6P*8

7P*8

8P*8

9P*7

I took a free pass to a brand new gym (The new GO Carindale) and have to say I was pretty impressed. It's a little further away from me and a little more expensive than where I train now. But the whole place is decked out with brand new hammer strength everything. dumbells go well past 50kg. Full compliment of kettlebells and TRX stuff.

Has a couple of olympic platforms/cages and its just pretty good all round. Pretty large gym-bro population it seems, but what can you do. :)

http://www.gohealthclubs.com.au/FileLibrary/free_weights_medium_web.jpg

BF3 rawr

Alright. Still working out. Still suck at updating.

Here is the gist of my 6th day in my split (shoulders)

Standing BB military press.

bent over DB reverse flys

BB upright row

front DB raises

machine shoulder press (I don't want to re-break my shoulder, so I steer clear of dumbells overhead)

seated db snowangels. (dunno if its a thing, shoulder rehab, straight arms go from below paralel with ground, to touching over head)

then some general shoulder stability stuff

internal/external rotations, face pulls, overhead BB shrugs.

Until next time.

Yay for progress.

BF3 rawr

Progress is medium ;-) My diet has really dropped off in the last few months, but I have managed to maintain weight at 108kg, which I am relatively happy with. At least I haven't been moving backwards, and my lifts are slowly increasing as well :)

This week I managed

6*105kg Bench press

3*160kg ass to grass highbar squats.

2*220kg deadlifts.

It's my second week in my new shoes, I only wear them on back/leg days but damn they feel great to lift in :)

I was feeling a little fatigued for my back session today but thought I would try for a DL PB anyway :P

It didn't turn out, as I should have expected haha. Got a few inches clearance but no more. I figured I would throw it up here as motivation to get it next time :)

psqMt.jpg?15WcWy.jpg Quadzilla.

Yay for slow progress.

BF3 rawr

Trying to post a little more regularly. Had a very solid back session today. I didn't feel like I had the PB in me, so I repped out on 180kg.

Managed 9 reps which is was happy with, it's a new max. Apologies for the terribad camera angle.

(No straps/belt/toga)

BF3 rawr

Since last post I have run through another weeks worth of workouts.

managed 6 reps on 110kg bench, with subsequent work sets on 90kg which is a step up for me.

And this week I pulled 6 reps on 200kg deadlift (Naked style), so another pb yay. I was focusing more on neutral neck position this time and it seemed to help a bit.

Yay for progress.

BF3 rawr

It is more regularly than I was ;)

Yea I do hope to compete, I think I will try to max out my strength and size in the next 6-8 months and then start prepping for the September comps next year. I think that's when all the majors are on.

Just need to stay injury free for another 10 months :P

BF3 rawr

Had a good leg session last night, I took a few clips to check out my Front squat form. Any thoughts? (Are my legs a bit far apart?)

It still takes me a bit of dicking around to get my grip comfortable etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV3PFQSIqck

If you were wondering yes, I am working out at a rave party.

Those split squats are the only thing really making me consider buying wrist straps :P. Grip definitely giving out before the legs.

BF3 rawr

So, I had to jump on my phone to view those vids, stupid work firewall!

What the fuck is up with those lights? Isn't that distracting? That would piss me off!

Front squats looked heavy, man. Your knees want to come in, can see them start to cave, then you push them back out. Maybe a slightly narrower stance will keep it stronger? Looks like you're keeping your back good and upright, and you're definitely hitting depth. If you can bring your stance closer and still get in the hole, try it.

For the split squat (isn't what you're doing a lunge though? I thought split squats were with a foot elevated on a bench?), maybe use a barbell instead of dumbbells. Easier to load once you learn your balance, won't give you grip work, but you can find other exercises for that.

Cheers Lach, I honestly don't notice the lights and music haha, when I get in the gym I'm 'In the zone'. :)

I think I will try a slightly narrower stance with knees a bit straighter, maybe poor hip flexibility makes the wider stance more comfortable for me.

I think it's a split squat. I think lunges you are supposed to either step through each rep, or step back up. Foot raised is Bulgarian squats I think.

I have used Barbell before, I think at my new gym the cages slightly limit how far I can step forward so I switched to dumbells. I'll take a look next time and see what I can do.

Also pulled a double on 220kg deadlift this week :)

Yay for progress.

BF3 rawr

You realise you're making it hard for me to catch you on the deadlift when you keep increasing as well!

Can you rack/unrack the BB from the outside of the cage? My gym's cages have holes that go through the whole way and the hooks can be moved to the outside edge. Then you could just step back, and there'd be no interferrence from the cage.

Exercise naming convetions are confusing.

Which gym are you at now?

Yea I could do them outside the cage, but i like having the safety bars there because I often go to failure.

I'm at the new GO Carindale. Ended up joining!

haha we're all chasing someone, one of the PTs (powerlifter) and my gym was doing reps on 270 ~_~

BF3 rawr

Hey bro i got inspired with your progress! If you won't mind can you give me your calorie intake for a week? if you would include the macronutrient breakdown and the exact food i'll definitely appreciate it! Thanks!!

:) :) :)

"If what you did yesterday was your best, you haven't done anything today""

Body Weight: 190 lbs
Height: 5'8

Lifting Stats as of Aug 14, 2013
Bench Press: 240 lbs 5RM
Squat: 325 lbs 5RM
Overhead Press: 140lbs 4RM
Deadlift: 345lbs 5RM

Sorry bud I can't really help you out there. The thing that attracted me to the Paleo diet was being able to eat as much as I want. And that I did :) . I essentially just made sure I had enough protein in each meal, and filled up the rest with veges/fruit/nuts and oils etc. No calorie counting, and next to no macro tracking. what are your goals? and what shape are you in now?

BF3 rawr