• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Butternut

Butternut Plants Her Seeds Of Goals!

Challenge numero dos! 

Hello everyone once again, I am still getting used to this, so I am yet again a Rebel with ya' all!

A bit about me:

1. I am a mom of 4 (2 human children and 2 dogs)
  2. Married for 7 years (Mr. Butternut)
  3. I am 5'8" with a waist of now 36" (I measure below the belly button). I feel so vulnerable saying that!!!  AH!!!! 
  4. Riding bike, rowing a boat, hiking a trail, and smelling fresh air is my passion
  5. Dirt is my friend

My Diet Challenge:

1. Trust in what I have learned and turn it into action
    • I read and listen to a lot of health professionals. It has gotten to the point where I am done reading and listening, because I'm pooped from consuming so much info.
    • I am ready to take action in what I have consumed and turn it into something.
    • I need to trust myself and go with the flow.
  2. Portion Control and ONLY eat when I'm hungry!!!  (Fist size for Protein, carbs-If I work out. and 2 fist size for veggies)
    • I may eat healthy on my good days, but my portions are for a Marine that has been farming all day. I eat the right food for my body, but I graze and over portion my food at meal times.  By the time dinner is ready for my family, I have been picking at all of it, I've pretty much already had a plate.

My Fitness Challenge

1. Bike twice a week (minimum of one hour), weight train once, and have plenty of outside time.
    • I am taking the advice and starting off slow.  
    • This is kind of 3 in 1, but my main focus is playing outside. I can weight train if I go to the park with my kids, go on a bike ride with my son, and run with my dogs.
    • I want to weight train because I feel so feminine with my toned muscles.  I love seeing the muscles in my thighs, calves, and upper arms.   

My Life Challenge ( to level up )

1. Calm the hell down (Tai Chi, Medation, stretching, realization of the present moment)
    • I want to catch it in the act and stop it from happening before it builds up.  I have a wonderful life.  
    • If it was 10 years ago and I met myself today, I would be pretty damn proud of how I looked and felt.
    • So I need to chill

I am stoked to be here once more, and I can't wait to read everyone else' goals and passions! 

• Like 5

Sound like good challenge goals, and you seem to have good plans to get them done.

If you haven't already checked them out, UCLA have some free guided mindful meditations that I have found really helpful. They're done by their Mindful Awareness Research Centre, and are free to listen to or download. They've made meditation and mindfulness much easier for me, which is nice.

Can't wait to see how you go :)

Wow, thank you! I love how short they are.  I am such a... SQURREL! kind of person, I've been doing Mediation Oasis (this is a good one too) on Itunes podcast but I cut them short.  

Thanks for the tip! 

O.k. so what I know for today:

• Grains and sugar make me sleepy and its really hard to get out of bed in the morning if I've had any the night before
    • haven't had any yet today (it is early, but I am determined) 
    • I want to wake up with energy in the morning
  • The Whole30 lifestyle is how I want to live and eat
    • Have somethings here and there but it has opened my eyes in what food does to me, physically and mentally. 

Fitness today

• Walked my daughter to school (piggy back half way there)
  • Ran back with a nice trot (heart beat avg 150)

Life

• I woke up happy and been calm, but kids had a "dely" day so we all got to sleep in!
  • Husband did the rest of the dishes before I woke up and that was an awesome thing to find.
  • Today I want to focus on what I have and had this weekend instead of what I didn't have.
  • Going to write in my journal.
  • Like 2

My diet is kind of...  meh.  I've been having a totty at night.  But I did mostly club soda with my captain.  And the wine I drank for celebration with my husband was a natural wine, it was too good to put in the fridge.  

Food wise, I had a big piece of lasagna and I've been adding in A LOT of chocolate.  I'm back to eating something sweet after meals, I am doing great with no grains (besides that lasagna) but sugar is sneaking in slowly.  I am going to stop it. but how?

So What I know and plan to change for the weekend upto come:

• I'm a bored eater, so whenever I get bored and about to head to the kitchen I need to  do 5 push ups or take dogs outside.
  • I have to keep things simple, if I get too detailed, I will fail miserably.
  • Watch my portions.  Keep to the fist sizes on my food.  If I DO over eat anything, it can only be veggies this weekend
  • Sunday, meal prep for Monday-Wednesday
    • Chop up extra veggies
    • cook up extra protein

Workouts

• Got 1 bike ride in, will ride tomorrow after morning chores
  • Ride bike with dogs in afternoon
  • Strength Train after coffee on Saturday
    • I did do a quick strength train earlier this week, so if I don't get it in, that is o.k. 

Life

• Realizing I'm not keeping up with my readings for my mind.  I need to constantly studying something about the mind to stay on track soooo:
    • I have bought a legal pad and been writing quick words on there
    • Have listened to The One You Feed with Mary O'Mally and ordered her book from library today
    • Got a Human Technology by IIchi Lee from the library today, very interesting read.
      • Goal- read one page a day.
  • Going to start my bedtime ritual again tonight.
  • Like 1

Update!!!!  (Exciting yet challenging...)

Goals Accomplished:

• Meal prepped 3 dinners, salads, and cut up veggies
  • Did watch my portions
    • But still grazed....
    • And ate even though I wasn't hungry.
  • Rode my bike 35 miles (Instead of driving to the coffee shop where I get my coffee, I rode my bike there!)
  • I have read one page a day this weekend(even that's been hard)
  • Body workout on saturday, had kids help me
    • Had kids have stop watch
    • Did 2 mins and did as many as I could, this is what I got
      • 67 bicep curls (5lbs weights)
      • 37 push ups
      • 35 dips
      • 69 shoulder shrugs (5lbs)
      • 60 back rows (5lbs)
    • and than I had them time to for how long I could keep a plank
      • 1 minute and 33 seconds.
    • Kids had fun wooting me on and holding the stop watch.
    • This was super easy and my muscles were sore the next day. I'm going to do it again and see if I can improve.

Goals for week:

What I know:

Sugar + Grains + Me = Groggy mama in the morning

• Cut out sugar and grains (besides quinoa, mainly because I prepped a shit ton on sunday.) 
    • So I can wake up with energy in the morning for my children.
  • Before I go eat, I will drink a large glass of water.
  • If I have the urge to grab more food I can only over eat veggies.

Workouts:

• Its gonna be cold all week:
    • Full body work out Tuesday
    • Ride one Thursday and Friday (Hopefully will be a little warmer)
    • Do the 2 min interval with kids on Saturday

Calm the Hell Down

• 2 pages a day (gotta have a challenge!)
  • Start writing my meaning of life
    • I ran into an old customer when I was getting coffee, and he is this old man with the heart of gold. He makes films for companies, the history of the small towns in our county, and the history of Highways.  When he's dog passed away last year, he told me his going to stop trying to get into human heaven and going to start working on getting into Dog heaven.  This is just the kind of guy he is.  He told me this weekend to take some time and write about how I view life without ANYONE's opinions or fear of judgement.  Take the time and fully write about how I view life on Earth, what were here for, what might happen after we die, the view on people and life situations, write it all down.  He said that after I get it all done, you create this "aha" moment.  This part of you that can fully be confident in what Actually has meaning to you so you can skip the stuff that isn't that meaningful. I am going to do this because I know its going to take time, so
      • Tuesday-Thursday, no internet, no computer, no social media.
        • I'm going to get my emails done today, get some podcasts loaded up for my rides for Thursday and Friday.  
      • I'm going to leave a legal pad out and just write to get it started.

I'm pumped about this week.  I've given myself some rules and challenges, but I'm so ready to get energy again and feel well-balanced.  I'll be back Friday to update!

• Like 3

What I know:

ive been ignoring it this last week and it's giving a toll on my body. Ive forgotten how I feel eating junk all the time. 

This week instead of saying "I won't eat sugar" it's going to be "I'm not willing to eat sugar" because it's done a number on my body and mind this week. I feel like saying "I'm not willing" gives it more of a I've got authority, if that doesn't sound too weird..

Food portion was a fail this week. Next week my goal is to only eat out of small bowls and plates. 

workouts:

worked my ass off in the garden and had 2 bike rides in. Working in the garden gave me a thin layer tan (yay!) and sweat, so it was a full body work out!!

Calm the hell down:

started my meaning of life journal. 

I went 3 days without internet and it was amazing. It's awesome just not consuming info and utilizing my knowledge into feelings and thoughts.

goal this week: take 2 days without 

well off I go into another week

• Like 2

Just realised I haven't been following you. I've been reading, but not following. Fixed that.

Really liking your goals. And the idea of a meaning of life journal is good.

Inspiring stuff to read.

• Like 1

On 2016-05-08 at 3:53 PM, Butternut said:

Challenge numero dos! 

Hello everyone once again, I am still getting used to this, so I am yet again a Rebel with ya' all!

A bit about me:

1. I am a mom of 4 (2 human children and 2 dogs)
  2. Married for 7 years (Mr. Butternut)
  3. I am 5'8" with a waist of now 36" (I measure below the belly button). I feel so vulnerable saying that!!!  AH!!!! 
  4. Riding bike, rowing a boat, hiking a trail, and smelling fresh air is my passion
  5. Dirt is my friend

My Diet Challenge:

1. Trust in what I have learned and turn it into action
    • I read and listen to a lot of health professionals. It has gotten to the point where I am done reading and listening, because I'm pooped from consuming so much info.
    • I am ready to take action in what I have consumed and turn it into something.
    • I need to trust myself and go with the flow.
  2. Portion Control and ONLY eat when I'm hungry!!!  (Fist size for Protein, carbs-If I work out. and 2 fist size for veggies)
    • I may eat healthy on my good days, but my portions are for a Marine that has been farming all day. I eat the right food for my body, but I graze and over portion my food at meal times.  By the time dinner is ready for my family, I have been picking at all of it, I've pretty much already had a plate.

My Fitness Challenge

1. Bike twice a week (minimum of one hour), weight train once, and have plenty of outside time.
    • I am taking the advice and starting off slow.  
    • This is kind of 3 in 1, but my main focus is playing outside. I can weight train if I go to the park with my kids, go on a bike ride with my son, and run with my dogs.
    • I want to weight train because I feel so feminine with my toned muscles.  I love seeing the muscles in my thighs, calves, and upper arms.   

My Life Challenge ( to level up )

1. Calm the hell down (Tai Chi, Medation, stretching, realization of the present moment)
    • I want to catch it in the act and stop it from happening before it builds up.  I have a wonderful life.  
    • If it was 10 years ago and I met myself today, I would be pretty damn proud of how I looked and felt.
    • So I need to chill

I am stoked to be here once more, and I can't wait to read everyone else' goals and passions! 

I love this! I missed your challenge thread till now. I totally relate with loving bodyweight workouts for the results I see in the mirror. I feel badass when I see muscles! :-)

My portion sizes have gone WAY down since I was a teenager, but I can still eat a ton if the food is tasty! I used to be able to finish off a T-bone steak to myself, now my hubby and I will split a steak and have leftovers for fajitas the next day.

Ditto on wanting to calm the hell down, we will get there! :-)

• Like 2

Kvedulf, thank you for that. ^ _ ^ me feel special.

12 hours ago, Dreamspin said:

I feel badass when I see muscles! :-)

Lol, that made me laugh because yes, I feel pretty "bad ass" when I see my muscles.  

Biking legs started to show "Yay!" 

Update

What I know 

I feel like I am in control now.  I'm trusting myself and my knowledge and ate what I was suppose to yesterday and I took in the present moment all day

Today, gonna to the same

Work out

Yesterday I ran to my daughters school, I went passed my "aerobic" heart rate. As I was running this guy in a truck waited for me to pass the street, I went behind his truck, then as he turned in my direction he stayed behind really slowly, it crept me out, so I slowed down and looked at him with an evil eye, he sped in front of me and started pulling in his drive way... I realized he was being polite and waiting for me to pass his drive way. I just started laughing, told the guy "Sorry you were creeping me out!" he said he was sorry and we laughed about it.

But going over that aerobic heart rate, I was pooped the rest of the day.  I was groggy and moody.  Since I've been staying in the aerobic heart rate in the last few months my energy is much better during the day. I going to keep that up.

Today- gonna ride my bike to my husbands work to have lunch with him

Calm the hell down

Yesterday-Wrote another page in my "meaning of life" its flowing really nice and I feel I can breath better. also read a few pages in the book and listened to a podcast

Today-Listen to podcast as I'm riding,

Write 5 sentences in my book.

• Like 3

I've been having so much fun reading other peoples accomplishments I've been ignoring writing mine!  I've been on forums before and this one is by far the most positive one. Its so nice.

So here we go 

What I know:

I've been slightly ignoring it, because its been hot and BBQ's and Beer is delicious (also adding sugary treats).  That habit of working hard in the yard on a hot sweaty day and ending it with popping open a IPA is back for the season.  But adding this stuff into my diet I've been sleeping in, my whole body is exhausted, and i'm really stuffy.  Its almost not worth it.  I know I want to have energy, I've gone my whole life always needing naps and being to tired to play with the kids.  When I cut out sugar last month, I only took 1 nap and it was because I just wanted to. Since I've been adding sugar back, I can't wait to sit down and nap which I did a bunch of that last week and this weekend.

My dad's wonderful words, which I always try to go by, is "People always forget their hang over"  I don't want to forget my hang over any more. 

So this weeks goal:

• No sugar or grain (its not worth it anymore, even as treats)
  • Buy replacements for beer and treats 
    • Dates
    • Club soda and juice
  • If I do have a social event, limit 2 drinks

Work out:

Last week I rode to my husband work and back (26 miles in total)

than we rode together on Thursday (32 miles total) 

I fought my fear with roller blading!  I used the "leveling up" with my daughter.  She is 6 and got on her roller blades and told me "I can't do it anymore" and I told her she's at level one, she asked me what does that mean, So I put it in Zelda terms with dungeons and items (I have a super ninetado, and she watches my son and I play) and I told her "Right now all you have is a sword and a lantern, when you go a little more, you get the boomerang! But you have to finish the first dungeon to get there, and thats with practice"  She was bewilded with this concept.  2 days later she tells me she on level 17 and has the shovel now.  She has been skating none stop since we talked about that.  Also me too!  I'm on level 4 I told her yesterday, I received my Hammer!  I rode all over my small town without falling, and I'm figuring out how to break, also went to the hockey park and played one on one with my son. Yay!

Weeks goal:

• Ride to work on Wednesday (34 mile route)
  • Ride with Husband on Thursday
  • Strength train on Saturday (outside)
  • Roller blade around town with son

Calm the hell down!

I haven't done any writing or listening to podcast, I almost feel I'm going to pop.  I've been stuck in my mind thinking of concepts and all sorts of things that I am taking a break.

This weeks goal: 

• Write a sentence a day
  • Like 3

My final accomplishments and what I've gotten out of this challenge

What I know:

By just going with what I know and how I feel, I've found I've accepted and trust my decisions.  It gave me a mindset to move forward and be aware of how I feel after I eat certain foods.  This month was a huge eye opener on my diet.  I'm really stoked for next challenge.

Work Outs:

I focused alot on outside work, which was my body weight workouts.  I rode bike on average twice a week.  I ran a few times for here and there, but its just nice to not make a huge deal about skipping workouts because of fatigue.  I also fought my fear of roller blading and I am really enjoying it now! Also, I've lost an inch around my waist! Woot!

Calm the Hell Down:

I didn't finish my "meaning of life" I got about 8 pages of stuff, but I really want to keep going with it.  I have one more week until kids are out of school.  I think I may take one or two days just to myself to do more writing. But it really is concentrating writing.  To think really deep.

By just focusing on being in the present moment I've been less moody and more into the moment.  I've been in alot better moods and I'm just excited I am alive.

Thank you to all that have kept up with me and my accomplishments! I can't wait to read some of yours!

• Like 3

On 5/31/2016 at 6:47 AM, Butternut said:

My dad's wonderful words, which I always try to go by, is "People always forget their hang over"  I don't want to forget my hang over any more. 

You dad is a wise man! After every night of drinking, I feel so lethargic and guilt-laden the next day. I tell myself, "That's it. No more drinking so heavily." Then the next time someone offers me a beer, sure enough, I've forgotten my hangover. Next time, I will remember my hangovers! 

It's so great to see someone who's excited about their goals and challenges and new healthy habits. I LOVE the fact that you're using the leveling up metaphor with your daughter. That is too cool. 

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to follow you more on the next challenge! 

• Like 2

I got unfollowed from your thread sorry! Sounds like you did great though, especially with the diet stuff. So inspiring to see someone kicking butt and enjoying their challenge so much, looking forward to the next one :D