• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vibrantnotions

Vibrantnotions Sets Herself Up

Focus for 2016: Create flow and systems to facilitate joy and allow for personal growth.

Fitness/Health: I have a workout routine I love, and a diet that is mostly under control. I need to start fine tuning to allow for less stress and more daily movement before I can move the needle anymore on workouts or diet.

1) Wake up with the first alarm each morning.

Reward: coffee - if I don't wake up with first alarm I have to wait until work for coffee.

2) Take a walk or run in the morning before work. 

Reward: A less grumpy me, quiet, fresh air, a bump in my fitbit numbers, and I can bring my coffee with me on my walks!

3) Pack my lunch ahead of time

Reward: calmer mornings

Life Goal

Yearly Flow - create a calendar system. Reminders for birthdays, holidays, etc. 

Reward: Having a calendar that creates a yearly flow will allow me to remember the things I want to do, remind me to prep before the date, and add a beautiful rhythm to our year.

Extra thoughts:

I haven't participated in a challenge for quite awhile. I'm loving all the changes around here! I've been slowly working on filling out my Nerd Fitness character. I think the Quest Lists with assigned XP will really help me focus my year. I've got big things planned!

I'll be on vacation May 14 - May 21st, so that might throw this challenge a little out of whack. That's ok though! The only thing I can't do while I'm gone is pack my lunch, and that is more of an experiment to see if it works better for me to pack it at night than in the morning.

I've set strength goals for 2016. So even though lifting isn't part of my challenge I'll share my progress here. 

2016 Strength Goals:

Deadlift 190 pounds (working sets)

Squat 135 pounds (working sets)

Overhead Press 70 pounds (working sets)

Complete a pull up

1 set of 5 military push ups 

Learn to Clean

Clean 95 pounds

• Like 4

I'm here for morning goodness. I vacillate between ultimately prepared and stumbling out of bed with no notion of what I'm eating that day. I really need to get consistent! 

What are your tricks for getting up when the first alarm goes off?

• Like 3

I use my phone as my alarm clock and leave it across the room so I have to get up and walk over there to shut it up. Once you're up and moving it's way easier to avoid going back to sleep.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm here for morning goodness. I vacillate between ultimately prepared and stumbling out of bed with no notion of what I'm eating that day. I really need to get consistent! 

What are your tricks for getting up when the first alarm goes off?

Really thinking of my reasons I want to made a huge difference! I listened to a podcast interview of Ben Austin of Stop. Start. Do. He had a suggestion where you make a list of reasons you want to do something, and a list of things that will happen if you don't. I don't remember the particulars but it was along the lines of 10 reasons you must do the thing, and a list of things that will happen if you don't. 

I'm pretty sure I threw my list away after I made it, but I keep lists of things I have a really tough time with (like avoiding the candy bowl at work) to review when I need to.

11 hours ago, calanthrophy said:

I use my phone as my alarm clock and leave it across the room so I have to get up and walk over there to shut it up. Once you're up and moving it's way easier to avoid going back to sleep.

This is probably my next step! Currently I call it good so long as I'm up before my back up alarm (7am). Which is a huge improvement. I use to not get up until 15 or even 30 minutes after that 7am alarm. And I use to go back to bed even if it was across the room.

Great first day! 

I woke up on time. I took a walk. My main lunch course is packed for the week, and I packed tomorrows breakfast and snacks.

Warrior Stuff

Today's workout got a little thrown off. It was busy, pretty much everything was taken, and I was short on time. So I had to improvise a little bit. 

Assisted pull ups w/100 pounds assistance: 5x5

Suitcase carries, 36 pounds, 1 rep = 86 feet each side: 3 sets, 4 reps each

One-legged Romanian Deadlifts, 20 pounds: 3 sets, 10 reps.

On 5/10/2016 at 10:18 PM, vibrantnotions said:

And I use to go back to bed even if it was across the room.

People never understood how I was able to do this as well. It was so easy to just turn the alarm off and turn around and fall back onto my bed. There were even some instances where I'd go into the living room and go back to sleep on the couch :sleeping: 

I was able to break that trend by working into a routine that involved more than just turning off the alarm. My apartment water heater takes a while to make the shower warm and I am not one of those cold shower people so I made turning the shower on the next thing to do on my list. I slowly added a bunch of small tasks that led me to a point where I was awake enough to not doze off at the next place I sat.

Following to see what strategies you take. And of course for warrior stuff too!

My strategy for no longer snoozing after the alarm was beginning to feed my beagle as soon as I get up every morning. He now absolutely guarantees that I don't sleep past 5. He has an amazing sense of time. And hunger.

• Like 1

This challenge finished off well. 

I'm in love with my calendar system. I'm sure it will need tweaked but having the bones for it will really help. I have a monthly calendar up now on my fridge that is a vinyl chalk board and my husband and I are both having fun filling it in with chalk markers.

Walking every morning has been great for my step count and my soul.

Getting up on time has allowed me to walk, and made mornings less stressful.

Packing my lunch ahead of time has also really reduced the stress in the morning.

As soon as the challenge was over I started slipping on the lunch and the waking up, so I'll be adding a small "keep it up option" in the current challenge.

• Like 1