• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kvedulf

Kvedulf: First challenge

Hi all

Rebel Kvedulf reporting for duty :)

New rebel here, wanting to do my first challenge. I realise I'm a few days late, but I'm still keen and ready to go!

I'm going to set up a proper log in the forum with my story to date there, but here's my first challenge:

1. Drink at least 2 litres of water each day

2. Have a home cooked dinner as opposed to take out at least 4 nights a week

3. Do the beginner NF bodyweight workout at least twice a week

4. read to my son for at least 10 minutes each day

There's other things I want to get done this month as well, but not sure if they should be included in the challenge or not:

- Complete the kitchen renovations

- Make a meal planner

• Like 3

Sound like good goals!

You might find the meal planning helps with the home cooked meals too. Nothing like having something delicious the next meal from left overs to make cooking fun :)

Looking forward to seeing how you go :)

So it's the start of Day 4 (8:27 am to be precise). Things are going alright I think. Update on each challenge goal:

1) I've been consistently drinking 2 litres of water each day. Feeling a lot better already too. I've got more energy and don't need to drink caffeine. One month ago I was drinking about 8-10 coffees a day. Then a month ago, when I found nerdfitness and the email said to make one diet change, I decided to limit myself to 4 coffees a day. I was really good with that and now, after drinking water, I'm having my morning coffee, maybe a glass of homemade ice tea with lunch and a cup of tea at night. Feels really good!

2) Cooked a pasta bake on Monday night and curried sausages with mashed sweet potato on Tuesday night. Last night we were in a rush all afternoon, so we had take out and we'll be having takeout tonight as well. But I've got the dinners for Friday and Saturday night already to go, so I'll be able to complete that challenge for the week :)

3) This is the big thing that I'm not happy with. For some reason, I just haven't done a workout yet. Feeling like shit because of it, but for some reason I just haven't done it. Feeling really lazy for it too. Going to at least do one today, so it won't be a complete disaster on that front.

4) Reading to my little boy has been so much fun. I was reading to him already, but not consistently. Now he's already in the habit, after three days, of after lunch running to the bookshelf in the living room, excitedly pointing to it and yelling "Da Da diwetz!" (translated from toddler that's "Daddy, Daddy, dinosaurs!") He's only two and absolutely loves dinosaurs, so I've been reading dinosaur books to him. He's loving it and I'm loving it too!

I've also managed to install the kickboards in the kitchen and fix the cupboard under the sink. Going to finish installing shelves in the pantry today. The kitchen is almost complete, we're down to the tiny little things like siliconing and gluing down capping but its always those jobs that take the longest to get done and the reno has been dragging on for nearly 12 months now.

Anyway, wrote more than intended but that's the sitrep at the moment!

• Like 2

Looking good so far!  With workouts, I absolutely know that feeling.  I don't know how active you were to begin with, but I found what worked for me with actually getting something done was two different things.  

1)  Set a time and a day.  Rigidity helps with routine, because you can't let the voice in your head go "Well I've got the rest of the week so one more day won't hurt."  You've got set days to do things in.

2)  Defining what a workout is for you.  This one, doesn't apply /as/ much because you're doing the NF bodyweight twice a week.  But for me, when I started, I started with the good ol' generic "I'm going to workout three times a week."  And then I never really defined what working out would entail.  So I would flip-flop around not really doing much of anything, because I had no real clear-cut idea of what I was really going to do.  So now, I get up, knock out ten reps of a random exercise, and for now that's a workout.  I'll probably do more at some point in the day, but I got something done.

Of course, these work for me :P, they may have no bearing whatsoever on how you do things.  But advice is something you can always pick and choose from, and better yet it's free!

Following along :D 

Sucked it up and I DID A WORKOUT! Woohoo! Haven't done that much physical exercise in a very long time! Feeling pretty proud of myself. This pic pretty much sums up how I feel right now :P

GLADIATOR -  IS THERE NO ONE ELSE?

Also, @Bandersnatch, I like your idea of setting a defined date and time for exercising and then sticking to it. Might try that. When the little human goes down for a nap would probably be the best time.

• Like 7

Yay for work out!  I did that yesterday, I really don't like working out at home, but when I just get up and do it its always worth it. What I like to ask myself when I am trying to talk myself out of working out is "how am I going to feel before I go to bed?" ... if only i could do that with my food....  

You pasta dish sounds awesome!

I LOVE your last goal! Reading to children is such a wonderful thing! And you sound like an awesome parent for making that habit for your little one.

Sandra Boyton Books are my favorites (my children's too!). My daughters favorite when she was 2 was Blue Hat Green Hat.  Sandra Boynton board books are short and sweet.   Short enough to keep a 2 year olds attention. Here's one with a dinosaur . I've never read it though. Anyways, I could write for hours about good children books.  I love children books.  But I won't waste the space :)  So again thumbs up to good parenting and being doing whats right for you! 

• Like 1

Going to follow along with this. Agreed that the reading is great! I was a huge bookworm as a kid (still am!) and I think it's in large part because my mum always read to me when I was really small and made books to be a really exciting and special thing.

Your Gladiator image made me laugh! I love that feeling when you do something pretty simple and you feel all I AM UNSTOPPABLE like you just fought off a tiger with your bare hands or something. Endorphins are so haxy.

@Severine You're right, I'd forgotten that feeling.

So beginning of Day 8 and week 2. Looking back on last week I'm pretty happy so far:

1) I've drunk 2 litres of water every day except for yesterday.

2) Had home cooked dinners five nights out of the week. Only had takeout twice

3) Only did the workout once this week. Not completely happy with that, but at least I did it.

4) Have read to the little man every day except Saturday, when we ran out of time.

My "side quests" still need a bit of work to get completed.

So all in all, pretty happy. The weekend wasn't the best. We were out all weekend, at a toddler's birthday party and then visiting the grandmother in law. Had to fight off panic attacks the whole time, and yesterday we were in the car for about 7 hours total. Not good for a guy who starts getting fidgety at around two hours. The weekend has completely thrown out my routine and the little boy's. So today is going to be pretty lazy I think as we get back into routine.

Plan for this week is to keep up what I'm doing right, get more of the kitchen complete and to do a workout either today or tomorrow and then on Thursday I think.

• Like 5

On 5/11/2016 at 6:38 PM, Kvedulf said:

curried sausages with mashed sweet potato

This sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Do you by chance have the recipe?! *hint hint, nudge nudge*

Looking good man!  Looking good.

I always find the most challenging part isn't establishing the routine, it's keeping it going.  You've got a great start, now you just gotta keep those wheels rolling.

@Terinatum The recipe for the curried sausages isn't that complex. I just googled for a recipe and found this: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/13663/grandmas+curried+sausages

And the mashed sweet potato is just a variation of one of Jaimie Oliver's recipes:

Peel and cut into rough shapes 700g of sweet potato. Throw it into a microwave safe dish and add in salt, pepper and half a sliced lemon. Cover with cling wrap and put in the microwave on high for 17 minutes. Take out, add a couple of good splashes of olive oil, pinch more salt and pepper, crushed mustard seeds and paprika to taste. Mash and stir with a fork. Not complex or super difficult at all, but pretty tasty :)

Thanks for the support. Feeling really good about myself at the moment which is really strange. I do best when I have clear goals and I've been pretty much floating aimlessly for a while. But now, even though it's only been a week, I'm feeling really good. @Bandersnatch You're right though, keeping the routine going is the hard part. I find I tend to mentally burn out and kind of lose the energy/willpower to keep going. But I've got a feeling that I might be able to keep this going, considering how good I feel.

• Like 1

Oh, bless you! I'll let you know how it goes when I try it. Hopefully soon. The longer I wait, the harder it gets. "20 seconds of courage" is a theory of Steve's and I like to give it a go when I can.

Haven't heard the 20 seconds of courage. Will have to look it up.

The past three days have been...interesting. Monday was a bad day for me, I was mentally and emotionally wrecked from the weekend. Was all I could do to just do the Dad thing. Tuesday I had to go to the doctor for a "mental health plan". In other words, prove to the doctor that my anxiety is bad enough for free psych visits. I had a panic attack on the way while thinking about what would happen if the doc turned around and said I was fine. Needless to say, the doc declared that I do in fact suffer from anxiety. Unfortunately I was then out of it for the rest of the day.

Fortunately I have an amazing fiancee who was able to pick up the slack on the dinner front. When she got home from work she took the two foot tornado, sat me down on the couch and calmed my arse down. Then she cooked dinner. Monday night was homemade spaghetti bolognaise and last night was lasagna and roasted sweet potato.

Today I was able to pick myself back up and get back in gear. Reading some of the posts here helped a lot :) Thanks guys! Did a workout and cooked a chicken and snowpea stirfry with cauliflower rice.

Still drinking 2 litres of water and reading to the little boy. So even though I've been doing pretty well on the challenge front the past two days have been a nasty struggle. Still here though :)

• Like 2

I genuinely hope the mental health plan does you more favours than it did me.  I wasn't given psych visits, I was given hour long visits with a counsellor.  Noooot even a therapist.  She 'taught' me breathing exercises.  It was very uninformative.  If you ever need a sounding board, shoot me a message anytime.

Sorry for not posting for a while. Things have been pretty good though. Took a bit to get my head back in the game after last weekend messing me around. Still feeling randomly anxious for no reason, but I can deal with that pretty well. It's something I'm used to now and so long as there's no additional stresses, the little random anxiety sessions are manageable now. So on to my goals:

1. Doing really well. Only failed one day this week and that was yesterday. Only drank about 1.5 litres.

2. Crushing this! Between my fiancee cooking karaage chicken and lasagna and me cooking curried meatballs and sweet potato bake, we had home cooked dinners six nights out of seven this week!

3. Haven't done so well on this. Only did one workout this week. That's two weeks now where I've only done one workout in the week. Got to work on this.

4. Nailing this and loving it! Little man is happy and even though he loved his books and dinosaurs he loves them even more now. Both of us look forward to story time I think :)

So I was going to type more but the small one has awoken and is announcing his presence by impersonating a foghorn :P

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

the small one has awoken and is announcing his presence by impersonating a foghorn :P

Oh, enjoy it!!!  enjoy enjoy enjoy it!!!!!  I had a huge scare yesterday and every naughty thing my little guy does today is an absolute blessing!!!

On the mental health front, I had about a dozen sessions with a psychologist about 2 years back.  I can't tell you what a huge difference it has made to my life.  No meds, no panic attacks, and feeling so good about myself.  I hope it's as good for you.

You are absolutely smashing the cooking part of the challenge aren't you?  (Probably why you don't have time to work out!!!!!)  ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiki Dee said:

I had a huge scare yesterday and every naughty thing my little guy does today is an absolute blessing!!!

On the mental health front, I had about a dozen sessions with a psychologist about 2 years back.  I can't tell you what a huge difference it has made to my life.  No meds, no panic attacks, and feeling so good about myself.  I hope it's as good for you.

You are absolutely smashing the cooking part of the challenge aren't you?  (Probably why you don't have time to work out!!!!!)  ;) 

Hope your little man is ok and feeling better now.

That's awesome that your psych was so helpful for you. I've been seeing one for about 9 months now and she is really awesome. I think I'm doing a lot better now. I don't have panic attacks anymore. That's been the big thing she's been focusing on because it was genuinely debilitating. Moving onto other things now/in the near future.

Yeah, the cooking is going pretty well. Not sure why because I'm usually not good at it at all. I love cooking, but I just suck at it :P

I've been thinking about why I'm not working out as much as I should and I've got it down to three main reasons. The first is just time. Toddlers chew up time. The only time I really get to myself is when the little man goes down for a nap through the day.

The second is that I always put myself and what I want to do at the very bottom of the list. I will do everything for everybody before I do something for myself. So I get caught up cleaning, doing reno work, odd jobs that don't need to be done, but my head says they have to be done before I spend time on myself. I go looking for things to do. It's one of my issues that I need to work on. My fiancee is always trying to help me with (we've had an ongoing debate for the past six months about me taking up kendo :) ).

The final reason is that by the time I get to doing my thing, I end up sitting on the couch and loading up the X-box. Not because I really want to but just that it's easier to load up a game and veg out than it is to find something better to do.

Hence why I've decided part of my next challenge is to give up the x-box through the day until the little man has gone to bed at night.

• Like 2

Following you back and loving what I'm reading! You've got great goals and it's awesome to see you're making progress at almost all of them. I wouldn't feel too bad about the working out. I'm not sure what your amount of exercise was before, but even if you work out once a week, that's better than doing nothing! So, winning! I love, love, love that you read to your kid almost every day. That's such a great goal. One of my buddies who is a newspaper nerd (I work for the local paper that he reads) had a baby around Christmas and he reads the paper to his boy every day. Also, he started taking his son on a walk around the neighborhood every day, but he's currently on parental leave for a semester while his wife works. So I don't know that something like that would work for you, but just an idea. :) 

I gotta say that you being open about your anxiety is really inspiring for me. I struggle a lot with my own mental demons, but I've never sought any help or told anybody about what I go through. Seeing you and others open up about it gives me the courage and strength to seek help for myself. Thanks!!!

Cheers @EternalJourno. My total level of exercise before I started this challenge was chasing after the two year old. So not much. But you're right, any exercise is a win.
 I'm really loving reading to the little man and it's so good watching his love of books develop even more than it already was. And the image of reading the newspaper in the morning to him is just adorable. We play outside most of the day, so going for a walk for exercise for the little man isn't such a priority. I want to start doing more art and craft type things with him for next month's challenge though. And I'm really lucky because I'm a stay at home dad :) Fiancee is the worker in our relationship.

With my anxiety, the reason I'm so open about it is that in a really strange way, it's one of the best things to happen to me. This time twelve months ago I was a functioning alcoholic; working as a sales telemarketer which I hated; living with using and abusing housemates I hated; and was a absent father (the fiancee and I had broken up before the little man was born) who was probably going to die of cigarette induced lung cancer by 40. Then we got back together and I gave up smoking and drinking. Which lead to a nervous breakdown. Quit my job, became a hermit and discovered I had been self medicating my anxiety with alcohol. So having a nervous breakdown is something I'm glad happened because it helped open my eyes and make me take stock. That's my story...

And it is really inspiring seeing everyone else talking about their issues as well. Makes you feel not so alone.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

My total level of exercise before I started this challenge was chasing after the two year old.

Which sounds like a lot of exercise to me! Their legs may be stubby, but they're quick!

On the subject of exercise, do you find that activity helps with anxiety? I'm prone to anxiety and depression - nothing clinical, I don't want to make more out of it than it is, but sure not fun when the black cloud follows me around - and I find that doing something, anything, can help. Even if it is just aggressively scrubbing the kitchen countertops or something. I figure the activity burns off some of the stress hormones and gives me the sense that I'm doing something productive even if I can't do anything about whatever is stressing me out.

It sounds like you are doing great on your goals. Following along.

3 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

On the subject of exercise, do you find that activity helps with anxiety? I'm prone to anxiety and depression - nothing clinical, I don't want to make more out of it than it is, but sure not fun when the black cloud follows me around - and I find that doing something, anything, can help. Even if it is just aggressively scrubbing the kitchen countertops or something. I figure the activity burns off some of the stress hormones and gives me the sense that I'm doing something productive even if I can't do anything about whatever is stressing me out.

I'll be interested to hear Kvedulf's take on this, because I find for me there's a huge link - more with mood than anxiety as far as I can tell but they do go hand in hand don't they? My recent decision to overhaul my fitness/diet was spurred by the onset of winter and the return of my seasonal mood issues. Thanks to the work I did a couple of years back with my psychologist, I was at least able to recognise the early signs and come up with a plan before things got too debilitating and I lost the motivation. I get such an endorphin high from heavy exercise! (Hence the obsession with "going hard"!) It's only been about 3 weeks but the mood symptoms have already receded. :) Unfortunately I don't get the effect from less intensive activity. But I did make a conscious habit when I was on maternity leave of leaving the house at least once a day - it helped in that stage! :)