• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kvedulf

Kvedulf: First challenge

@Bookish Badger and @Kiki Dee:

Any form of activity helps me, even if it's just cleaning. I find that if I sit still for too long, I get really bad. Get a ball of nerves in my chest, stomach starts doing flips and I get random muscle contractions. Kind of feels similar to when you have way too much caffeine or sugar, but a lot more nerve wracking. I find I can sit still if I'm working on a project like writing or a DIY/craft type thing, but otherwise I have to be moving. It also helps that I'm able to get things done and get a sense of accomplishment, regardless of how small or brief.

Since I started the challenge, I've noticed a huge upswing in both my mood and my level of anxiety. Especially after a workout. The endorphin rush is awesome and really helps my moods a lot. Combined with the fact that I am so goal oriented it means that I feel good from doing a workout and I actually feel somewhat good about myself because I feel a sense of self-worth from completing my goals. So Nerdfitness is one of the best things for me.

Hope that ramble answered the questions :)

2 minutes ago, Kvedulf said:

Hope that ramble answered the questions :)

Yup!  You experience both the kinds of improvement that Badger and I get. Lucky you! ;) 

Hi all!

Update time. This week is going really well!

So in order for each goal:

1. Nailing it. Have drunk at least 2 litres of water each day this week! WIN

2. Got this in the bag. Last night we felt lazy and just ordered pizza. But on Wednesday night, I cooked my first ever roast! And it was tasty! Cooking rissoles tonight and even if we have takeout Saturday and Sunday, I've still got this week completed

3. Finally got two workouts done in the week! Did one on Wednesday and did my second one this morning, so I can finally say I completed this goal properly!

4. Got this. Even if I were to somehow forget to read to him, the little monkey would certainly remind me. He's got in the habit of immediately going to "his" bookshelf in the living room after lunch. It's adorable.

On the sidequest front, I've still not even looked at meal planning. So boo there :(

But we've done well on the kitchen front. Fiancee has glued down the tile capping, siliconed the edges of the tiling and painted the oven unit. I've finished painting the last two cabinets and the window frame; and I'm about halfway through sanding some recycled timber for a few last wall shelves. All we have to do is finish and hang the shelves, fix up a few parts of the floor and there's a few last bits that need siliconing and it's all done! Woohoo!

And in terms of my anxiety/mood I'm feeling better than I have in quite literally years! So that is definitely a win. I know that you're supposed to give yourself a reward for completing a challenge, but feeling the way I do now is more than reward enough :)

It's great to hear that you've got that momentum going! Keep it up! And I love that your son took so quickly to the reading habit (soon he'll want to read to you). Give the little guy an extra big hug from your NF pals. 

Thanks Badger :)

Update: Last week was pretty good, although there were a few tricky points.

I managed to drink 2L of water everyday except the Sunday. Don't know why, but I just periodically forgot to drink water through the day. Ended up drinking about 1.5L so it wasn't like I was completely dehydrated or anything. Still a win compared to how much water I was drinking about a month ago (ie none unless it was in coffee/tea etc). On the cooking front, we had takeout 3 times last week. So even though it was the worst week so far, it was still on target for the challenge. Not happy about it but we had a few really exhausting days where neither of us felt like cooking. I managed to get two workout sessions done last week, which was a massive win for me. Felt like I cleared a major hurdle. And it's given me motivation this week, so I've already done one for the week. And it goes without saying that the reading to the little man has gone brilliantly.

I've even been able to work on my sidequests. Like I said, the kitchen is very close to be being finished. We'll probably be able to get it done this weekend. And I've finally started looking at meal planning and basic outlining for it.

My wonderful fiancee has also decided that I deserve a reward for completing my challenge and has agreed to buy me an academic level introduction to Japanese history, so I'm really happy about that :)

In regards to next month's challenge, I've decided I'm going pretty big. There's quite a few things I want to do to level up my life and in regards to fitness I've decided to focus on my flexibility (or lack thereof) for next month. I also think I might be a Druid. Which was a surprise for me. I thought I was going to be a hybrid ranger type class, but even though the physical activity I want to do or be able to do is definitely not Druid, my mindset and philosophies very much are. So that was a surprise :P

• Like 1

This week is going pretty well. Water is on track, I've got my minimum workouts done and will probably squeeze another one in tomorrow and I've been reading to the little man. On the cooking front, we had two lazy nights and just had pizza and then leftover pizza. Not happy about that, but we've got dinner planned for the next three nights, so it's still on track.

Unfortunately, for reasons I can't fathom, I've been ridiculously worried and anxious. Can't for the life of me work out why: my challenges are going well, I've been productive (being unproductive is one of the big triggers for my anxiety), I feel relatively good about myself, I haven't had to deal with strangers and I've been taking my meds. For whatever reason though, I feel like everything is about to collapse and I'll be left on my own to deal with the impending apocalypse. Anxiety is a funny creature like that...

In other good news, I got the meal planning for June completely done, and the groceries have been ordered and will be delivered so I don't even have to leave the house. Looking forward to cooking for the next month. It's a nice combination of paleo, vegetarian, "classic" hearty food and Japanese meals.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the anxiety, but it sounds like everything else is going really well. Keep it up! I've also dabbled with the thought that I might be a Druid — mainly for the introspectiveness and finding yourself — but I still feel like I'm not ready to commit to a class yet! Too much pressure! lol

• Like 1

WOOT! Completed my first challenge. And I think I've done pretty damn well if I may say so myself.

Here's how it went:

1) I've drunk at least two litres of water nearly every day. I only missed three (I think) days out of the four weeks. So that's a win.

2) Nailed this. I think there was only 8 nights through the entire 4 weeks we didn't have a home cooked dinner of some form.

3) I think this was the part of the challenge I had the hardest part completing. The first two weeks I only managed to get one workout done in the week. The third week I just managed to squeeze in two, but it seemed to give me the boost I needed, so I was able to easily complete the workouts in week 4.

4) Absolutely nailed this one. And I loved reading to the little man. I think there was only two days in the entire month I didn't read to him (taking into account those weekends when he was with grandparents)

On the side quests, we've nearly completed the kitchen. Not much to do now. And I finally got a meal planner for all of June completed. So I got one of the side quests done.

Things I've learned:

1. I need to limit the amount of gaming I do. I find that once the little man goes down for his nap, I find myself wasting time playing games on the X-Box. The days I was able to stop myself from doing that this challenge were the most productive days I had and usually the days I felt best about myself.

2. I need better time management.

3. I enjoy bodyweight training.

4. This is something I've been learning about myself over the past 6 months-ish and it came as a bit of a surprise. I have a massive interest and love for Japanese history and by extension Japanese culture. It took me by surprise because it was something I didn't know. As a result, I want to study Japanese history in my spare time, learn the language and try out a number of Japanese martial arts. All of which are good for future challenges.

5. I love the Rebellion and everyone on the NF forums :)

So next challenge, I'm going to go and be a Druid and I've got a theme for my challenge. It's based on the tenets of Bushido. I felt it was appropriate :)

• Like 3

I've really loved following your challenge :)  Fantastic work all-around and I think you're well set-up for more success through the rest of June and beyond. The reading goal melts my heart a little - I'm so happy for your little guy that he's getting such a positive introduction to books and reading. I genuinely think that cultivating a love of imagination and reading is one of the greatest gifts a parent can give.

The Japanese history/language/culture stuff sounds like a fantastic theme for a whole bunch of interesting personal development and intellectual stimulation. I love learning languages so that part especially sounds cool to me. And Japanese cooking has some great ideas for people looking to eat fresh and healthy foods. Maybe one day a trip to Japan is in the cards, perhaps as an epic-level reward for goals reached?

Totally with you on the gaming. I love it, but I find I am a happier and more complete person when I limit it to <10 hours per week. 

Let us know when and where your next challenge thread is going to be up, because I'll want to follow :)