BitterOyster Explores Mt Moon

Hi Rangers! I had a blast in the Druids but it's good to be home. What I've been doing isn't working so I've decided to change course and not rely on the gym right now, but strength train regularly at home, hoping that will give me the energy to sort my shit out, get my bike fixed and go to the gym more.

This map roughly corresponds to my town which I will be moving out of at the end of the year. It's such a beautiful place I want to make sure I've enjoyed it before I leave - and what better way to do that than by gamifying it? This challenge I will be exploring Mt Moon - visiting the museum and drawing some of the architecture in the city.

lbT9uv6.png

1. Strength training - 3x week.

Sticking to Stronglifts because I know I like it, but minus the squats - instead I'm doing wall sits daily. Doesn't matter if I progress at all, I just need to be pumping iron.

This goal includes at least one gym visit per week, but it doesn't have to be strength training.

2. Drawing/exploring - 1 per week

Hopefully this gives me some material to update my blog. One trip will be to the museum, the others will be around the city to sketch scenes.

3. 5min flow and knee exercises EVERY DAY

I find it really difficult to stick to daily goals but it's time to stop cutting myself slack I don't need, because I can handle this, despite being busy. It's only 7 minutes out of my day!

Other stuff I've got on the go:

Unreferenced character sketches 1xweek

Online free permaculture course from Oregon State University - 1 module per week for this month

Pokemon drawings - no schedule

Still doing Lights Out - able to use my discretion about when to skip it

Art skills level up - this month is about drapery, but also finishing off last month's portraits

Working on my website - currently doing a self portrait to use as my profile picture

100 days of keto - day 14 as of the start of this challenge and feeling great

2017: Year of the Epic Travel Adventure

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Current challenge - Metallica Theme

Previous: 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle log/inspiration thread

pokeball.png Results pokeball.png

geodude.pngWeek 1

Strength training 

3/3 sessions

2/1 gym visits (fitness class + cardio)

Drawing/exploring 

I walked around the west part of the city and did 3 drawings over two hours - I'm not too pleased with how they turned out, but I'm still learning how to draw urban scenes.

5min flow 

6/7 Not too hard to keep up actually, just gotta remember to do it in the morning after coffee/tea but before leaving. Tried doing it before coffee - it is not going to happen. But 5min is possible to find even in the morning.

Rangers Mini - Strength Feat 

clean up my home gym area - done, and a big relief.

Spr_3f_041.png Week 2

Strength training 

2/3 sessions

3/1 gym visits (fitness class + Body Balance + yoga)

I'm surprised I missed a strength session, I just left it too late and ran out of time. But I did a lot of ripping up grass in the garden which is very hard on my back so it's probably for the best.

Drawing/exploring 

Southern part of the city - still working on this type of drawing. It's improving, but slowly.

5min flow 

5/7 Ok, it's not easy. I keep forgetting it in the morning and catching up at night.

Rangers Mini - Agility feat 

Go to Body Balance class (yoga/Tai chi/pilates) - had to adapt a lot of things but it was worth it.

clefairy.png Week 3

Strength training 

2/3 sessions

1/1 gym visits (cardio session)

Oops, missed a strength session. Since the days are so short it's easy to miss the window of daylight. I'm back up to challenging weights so I don't think this will be an issue in the future.

Drawing/exploring x

Just too hard to fit this in. Maybe it needs to be worked into my routine.

5min flow x

4/7 I struck out early this week but my new strategy is working so far.

Rangers Mini - Rangering feat 

I took a walk around my neighbourhood and foraged greens to add to my dinner.

Spr_2g_046_s.png Week 4

Strength training 

3/3 sessions

1/1 gym visits (stretching/core)

Drawing/exploring 

It was raining but I drew from inside the car!

5min flow

7/7

Rangers Mini - Endurance Feat 

I did a big load of shopping and pulled it up the hill to my house in a trolley bag.

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Oo, pokémon theme, excellent!

4376513-1273942549-tumbl.gif

Looks like good solid goals to stick to; will be following along.

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

10 hours ago, Jarric said:

Oo, pokémon theme, excellent!

Looks like good solid goals to stick to; will be following along.

Cheers!

9 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Following!  How is the knee feeling these days?  Are you almost back to 100%?

Ah, my favourite gif! Almost 100%, my knee is fine for walking now, I can squat almost parallel but not grok squat, but gonna stick to wall sits for now.

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Yesterday I got up early to go to the gym with my workout buddy for the first class since I got injured. There's only one non-aqua class per week that suits us both, but at the last minute before leaving I discovered they moved it to an hour earlier the next day :apologetic: I was like, 'No way, that's ridiculously early'. Then we looked at each other for a moment and said LET'S BE RIDICULOUS and went anyway. I had to adapt a few things but my knee held up fine and we had a really good time.

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

^Cheers! Here's my blog: http://www.ameliabaxter.net/blog/

Went to see Civil War with some friends, tried Quest Bars for the first time as a movie treat, made a curry with many kinds of vegetables. This week is going well so far, although I've been putting off my mini challenge feat.

• Like 2

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

On 5/15/2016 at 11:44 AM, BitterOyster said:

^Cheers! Here's my blog: http://www.ameliabaxter.net/blog/

Went to see Civil War with some friends, tried Quest Bars for the first time as a movie treat, made a curry with many kinds of vegetables. This week is going well so far, although I've been putting off my mini challenge feat.

Oh dude...protein bars as a movie treat...god what a great idea.  This is happening at some point.

I used to always get chocolate and chips when I went to the movies so the association is really strongly ingrained. It's much easier to have some sort of sugar-free treat than to have nothing. Sometimes it's sugar free chocolate, jerky or hazelnuts. Not pork crackles though, too noisy XD

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

geodude.pngWeek 1

Strength training 

3/3 sessions

2/1 gym visits (fitness class + cardio)

Drawing/exploring 

I walked around the west part of the city and did 3 drawings over two hours - I'm not too pleased with how they turned out, but I'm still learning how to draw urban scenes.

5min flow 

6/7 Not too hard to keep up actually, just gotta remember to do it in the morning after coffee/tea but before leaving. Tried doing it before coffee - it is not going to happen. But 5min is possible to find even in the morning.

Rangers Mini - Strength Feat 

clean up my home gym area - done, and a big relief.

I totally smashed this week! Diet is going really well too, I'm feeling good about my fitness, but a bit panicked about how much work I've got piling up, so I've got to knuckle down on that this week.

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Awesome, well done on smashing week one!

rocksmash.png

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

I still need to do my drawing/exploring for this week and one more lifting session. I've already done 2 gym visits but I like to take advantage of free parking on weekends too, so maybe a bit of easy cardio on the bikes.

I did get through a bit of work this week but one of my freelance projects has been a bit of a drag so I feel like I need to grind through that before I can get the fun stuff done. I think it's a software issue - I moved from PC to Mac and trialled a few different painting programs but none has been quite what I wanted. I use Photoshop but don't like to paint in it, don't like Corel Painter (I spent about 20 hours learning it so it's not just the learning curve), tried Sketchbook Pro, bought Manga Studio 5 (great for lineart but can't quite get the paint settings right), really want to try Krita but pressure sensitivity isn't working on Mac yet. I'm telling myself that at least I've identified the problem, now I can find a solution. 

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Spr_3f_041.png Week 2

Strength training 

2/3 sessions

3/1 gym visits (fitness class + Body Balance + yoga)

I'm surprised I missed a strength session, I just left it too late and ran out of time. But I did a lot of ripping up grass in the garden which is very hard on my back so it's probably for the best.

Drawing/exploring 

Southern part of the city - still working on this type of drawing. It's improving, but slowly.

5min flow 

5/7 Ok, it's not easy. I keep forgetting it in the morning and catching up at night.

Rangers Mini - Agility feat 

Go to Body Balance class (yoga/Tai chi/pilates) - had to adapt a lot of things but it was worth it.

• Like 3

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Spent far too long looking for a good Pokémon pic to respond to this; I'll come back to it!

Well done on week 2, looks like you did great! For remembering the flow goal have you tried setting a phone alarm (seperate to your normal alarm) to jog your memory?

Also, I tried body balance a while back, how did you find it? I quite enjoyed it, but being the only guy in the class was a little weird!

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

You can post Pokemon pics here any time :D

I haven't thought of setting a phone alarm. It's supposed to be first thing in the morning but I don't want to do anything immediately after waking up. So maybe if I set the alarm for 10 minutes later.

I quite like Body Balance. I first tried it when I'd just gotten into fitness and it was overwhelming and discouraging, but after doing Body Pump for a while I came back and found it worthwhile. I always feel calm afterwards.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

On 5/23/2016 at 1:45 AM, BitterOyster said:

5min flow 

5/7 Ok, it's not easy. I keep forgetting it in the morning and catching up at night

Can you find some sort of trigger that will remind you to do it in the morning??  What do you consistently see or do that you can associate with this new habit you want to form?

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Ahhhh I can't believe I missed 3 of the 5min flows this week! I keep putting them off in the morning and then the day gets super busy and I'm totally exhausted at night.

On 26 May 2016 at 0:48 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Can you find some sort of trigger that will remind you to do it in the morning??  What do you consistently see or do that you can associate with this new habit you want to form?

I haven't tried setting an alarm this week, but I noticed I tend to stretch a bit in the morning so it could be a logical extension of that. Except I think 'no, that's too difficult because I'm not awake yet, I'll do it a bit later' and of course run out of time. Today I tried not setting the 5min timer, just estimating it, and that seemed to work because it makes it seem less official. I don't want it to be a chore, it should be pleasant to have that time to check in with my body and get ready for the day. Maybe also a list of ideas of what to do, so I have no excuse if my brain isn't quite online yet.

Today I decided to move my room and the spare room around, including some heavy furniture, so I got a bit of a workout. I made a little reading nook which will be good for meditating too. I also did a home strength workout and went for a walk to forage some greens for my chicken soup. Since work and shopping mean unavoidable time on my feet I haven't been walking for the sake of walking and I realised I missed it. But my knee will be fine to do both now, as long as they're short strolls rather than long hikes. I have an idea to put that into my next challenge.

In other news, my workout buddy is away for 10 weeks, so I've gotta kick my own ass to go to the gym! Luckily I discovered that I really like the exercise bike.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Sounds like you had a good day (and a busy one!). Walking for the sake of walking is the best kind of walking. Walking.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

10 hours ago, BitterOyster said:

...walk in a bushland area where I might see wildlife.

My first thought:

tumblr_mxiy03tHAQ1ss5ncwo1_500.gif

• Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler