Jayniana Jones Meets Patience

Patience. I'm patient with everyone else, but often short change myself. I'm currently on the recovery side of an ACL repair and I'm in the window where I feel no pain and yet my knee ligament is at it's weakest point. I have to be careful not to push things. So patience is needed this month.

As far as goals go for this challenge most of them are going to stay the same as before with a slight twist...

Get Organized Slowly...

Last round, I implemented a to-do list that is working really well for me because it requires me to identify the top three most important things I need to do for the day. I write some reminder at the top that it's meant to help me not harm me. While I don't use it every day, it's really helping me to keep things I care about most in the forefront of my mind. So I'm going to keep using the technique. In addition, I read about a technique that may help me reach some of the big picture goals that I have called the 6-week press. Basically, I'm adapting it for five weeks to match the Nerd Fitness challenge forums. The first four weeks I work super duper hard on my goals and then the fifth week I go do fun things I normally wouldn't do. I plan to have lighter loads the fifth week because I think if I completely stop my routine it'll be harder to get going again - however having a week of fun stuff sounds worth the effort to earn it.

Maintain my yoga steak.

As of today, I'm at Day 126. I honestly didn't expect myself to get this far but I'm glad I'm still working at it. I have to figure out some new stuff because I'm getting bored and when I get bored I tend to procrastinate. Obviously, procrastination puts my yoga streak in jeopardy and I don't like fretting about missing it.

Do what my physical therapist tells me to.

Pretty easy because I care about getting full use of my leg. I have some pretty big physical goals I'm working toward and my knee needs the best chance it can get. At the moment, the two home sessions of exercises take about 40 minutes total, so I'm thinking between yoga, these exercises, and walking that's enough fitness focus.

Work on my novel.

I've been puttering with my novel draft and decided before my surgery to have a deadline of July 15th. I was a bit optimistic about what I could actually get done in the month of April, but I figure I need to honor my deadline unless something super terrible pops up (and, yes, sadly there are some things on the horizon that could explode). My guesstimate for my novel's length is 75,000 words. This challenge I need to get 33,500 words written. That's about 8,375 words per week. It's a lot but for some reason, I'm motivated by things that push my abilities. 

Also, within my writing section, I need to send off my completed novel draft (a different one that is in editing mode) to my writer's group for review. They want the whole thing which scares me. I told them I'd think about it. Then on the way home realized, I have to say yes because of my Epic Quest item that says "Say yes to something that scares the crap out of me."  I need to send it by Saturday (5/15) Gulp.

Start an Epic Quest item.

I had wanted to get my passport this month, but costs may prevent me now that I'm seeing medical bills rolling in. So I'm thinking about picking an art one that I can get started on. I'm not sure which one I want to do yet. I need to sleep on it. :)

Follow other Nerd Fitness Folks

I like keeping up with what everyone else is doing. My biggest struggle is I burn up hours reading and commenting in one evening. This isn't terrible, but I find that usually I'm using it as a tool to procrastinate something else. Then I don't check in for a few days and find there's tons of reading to do. So, this month I'll have to experiment with the best way to keep up without overwhelm.

• Like 5

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

Good to see you back for another round. :) I like your goals – nothing flashy, but so very useful to you. I enjoy watching you extend the yoga streak, and I think it's a good idea to work on keeping it interesting so you can keep going. I'm still very much a beginner, but I'm also trying to mix my routines up a bit this time so I can stay motivated and keep learning. I'll keep following you, for sure.

Good luck with the novel. That's a lot of writing, but I'm sure you can do it. To me, this sounds like it could be the most challenging of your goals.

Good luck keeping up on the forum, too. This is something I think a lot of us wish we could do better with. For what it's worth, I always like it when you drop by for a visit! ;) See you around!

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

BTW, if you feel like it, feel free to check out  The Loft its an accountabilibuddies group for anyone with a creative-related goal on their challenge, be it drawing, writing, etc...

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

This round, I'm trying to post more regularly with my daily updates.

Yoga Streak Continues.

I'm on Day 127. I wrote down a bunch of knee friendly poses and created a practice from them.

Physical therapy today.

I'm doing well and received more exercises to do. 

Work on my novel.

I logged 2,062 words today. I surprised myself, but the ideas flowed and my fingers hardly stumbled on the keyboard. I delegated some chores to get an extra chunk of time.

Epic Quest

My art area is in disarray because we're moving my office space. So this week, I figure I'll map out a plan to work with my dog on agility. I did a rowdy training session today because it was raining outside. He's a barker when we play. 

Getting Organized Slowly...

So my husband and I decided to swap rooms for our offices. My office is always freezing (it's in the basement) and his is always super warm (it's upstairs). I love being toasty, I'm pretty sure I was meant to live in the tropics. My hubby prefers it to be chilly, he wears shorts all year even on days when temps are way below zero. Since the move will happen this weekend, I'll probably end up getting things organized more quickly than I expected.

• Like 5

[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

7 hours ago, erosan said:

BTW, if you feel like it, feel free to check out  The Loft its an accountabilibuddies group for anyone with a creative-related goal on their challenge, be it drawing, writing, etc...

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to take a peek. 

Checking in! I am really liking your organization focus and am using a similar method to help me get something big done each week of the challenge.

The yoga streak is truly amazing. I dont know enough about yoga to suggest anything new...

Keep at it!

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

• Like 2

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Overall my day was skewed to homeschool. I had to refresh my algebra, geometry, and human anatomy knowledge. I thought I had a good memory but apparently when these items aren't part of everyday use the details get forgotten.

Yoga Streak

Day 128. Today I had help from my furry friend, Buddy. He is a frequent visitor on my yoga mat. Before my surgery, his favorite pose was down dog because he could run underneath me. Lately, he likes to lean against me when I do floor poses.

buddy.jpg

Rehab

I had a later start today than usual for my exercises. I managed to squeeze two rounds (about 25 min each round) in. I discovered a few minutes ago that some of my exercises need to be done three times in a day in addition to sets and reps. I'll have to tweak tomorrow.

Work on my novel.

I wrote 1,747 words today all done while my family went to taekwondo. 

Epic Quest

It has been rainy on and off today. I did some "up and down" drills (leaping on and off different pieces of furniture) with Buddy. I realized in the session that I have to pick some activities where I'm less animated. I found myself trying not to run or pivot - bad for my knee at the moment. Tomorrow, I plan to introduce the clicker. I'm reading a book that gives ideas on utilizing clicker training with agility. Supposedly, as the two of us get comfortable with all the obstacles, I could run him through the course using body language and no words. I'm intrigued.

Getting Organized Slowly...

Used my planner sheet. It's still helping me stay on track.

• Like 5

I like your challenge! I'm impressed with your yoga streak! I had a pretty good yoga streak but I started having some knee pain that I'm pretty sure was caused by something else. But the yoga seemed to keep it aggravated. I'm back to doing a session on Sundays but I haven't gotten back to the shorter daily session I was doing before. Good luck with your novel! That is an AWESOME quest!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

5 hours ago, Jayniana Jones said:

Overall my day was skewed to homeschool. I had to refresh my algebra, geometry, and human anatomy knowledge. I thought I had a good memory but apparently when these items aren't part of everyday use the details get forgotten.

I think about going back to school from time to time, but the thought of all the math I would have to relearn gets pretty intimidating. It seems like a bonus to me that homeschooling helps to sustain your education as well!

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

As far as dog training, I taught our adopted dog to follow some hand commands that worked well when I didnt want to be loud or talk. I just made up whatever one-handed signal worked for me and repeated it with the words for the command. Over time all I had to do was use the hand command. Now if I snap my fingers and look at her, she comes to attention, then I give her my hand command (like sit) and she does it. The only thing I have a hard time with is getting her to hold the command. Usually she will do what I ask but not stay that way. Old dogs are funny though. =)

Sounds like a pretty productive day!

• Like 4

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Following for fellow novelist support. I have an edited draft myself that I just need to muster the courage to submit. 8000 words a week is a lot! Good luck! 

• Like 2

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

I quite like the goal breakdown as a weekly number… my problem is sometimes I can do 3.5k words in one sitting, and then cant write more than 10 words in a row next day… and of course this throws me off schedule and I get discouraged. Jayniana's method is better

this "message" was brought to you through the ether using ero san's arcane magics (and a cellphone)

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

22 hours ago, SnowOwl said:

I sure hope you will post some progress videos of Buddy! 

I'll make sure I do that. He's just over 18 months and the two of us are hilarious. He sees agility equipment and spends more time cheering (barking) and running through the tunnel than he does listening to instructions. I'm usually waving my arms in the direction he needs to go and he goes around most of the equipment to get to me faster. It's a hoot.

22 hours ago, AthenaMM said:

I like your challenge! I'm impressed with your yoga streak! I had a pretty good yoga streak but I started having some knee pain that I'm pretty sure was caused by something else. But the yoga seemed to keep it aggravated. I'm back to doing a session on Sundays but I haven't gotten back to the shorter daily session I was doing before. Good luck with your novel! That is an AWESOME quest!

Thanks. My yoga streak was actually how I discovered that my ACL was torn completely for the second time. I've watched a large number of "yoga for the knees" videos on youtube for my recovery side and most of the ones I've seen so far are done by instructors who clearly don't have knee issues. So far I have found one that I can do safely start to finish. As I've learned to listen to my body during a yoga session, instead of trying to be a super gumby hero (which I'm not), I'm noticing that many of the poses follow the same guidelines required for squats and lunges (e.g. knee not going past the ankle, feet aligned correctly). In short sessions, you may want to try not going as deep. 

17 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

I think about going back to school from time to time, but the thought of all the math I would have to relearn gets pretty intimidating. It seems like a bonus to me that homeschooling helps to sustain your education as well!

I've had similar musings. However, having to teach the things to my kids (and sometimes learning the topic the night before) I decided I'll wait until I'm 65 to go back to school. I read that UW Stout has a program for retired people to go back to school for either free or very inexpensively. I figure then I'll go back and take all the fun classes I didn't have time to take the first time around. ;) 

6 hours ago, Alexandrite said:

As far as dog training, I taught our adopted dog to follow some hand commands that worked well when I didnt want to be loud or talk. I just made up whatever one-handed signal worked for me and repeated it with the words for the command. Over time all I had to do was use the hand command. Now if I snap my fingers and look at her, she comes to attention, then I give her my hand command (like sit) and she does it. The only thing I have a hard time with is getting her to hold the command. Usually she will do what I ask but not stay that way. Old dogs are funny though. =)

I think eventually our dogs get used to our quirky ways. I had a Siberian husky previously. As he got older he couldn't hear me, but my hand commands were enough for him to figure out what I wanted him to do. 

1 hour ago, erosan said:

I quite like the goal breakdown as a weekly number… my problem is sometimes I can do 3.5k words in one sitting, and then cant write more than 10 words in a row next day… and of course this throws me off schedule and I get discouraged. Jayniana's method is better

this "message" was brought to you through the ether using ero san's arcane magics (and a cellphone)

I totally relate. My idea was inspired by a very lengthy chat with my hubby because I tend to light the candle at both ends and then get discouraged when I start missing my goals. We'll see how well it works.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pavowski said:

Following for fellow novelist support. I have an edited draft myself that I just need to muster the courage to submit. 8000 words a week is a lot! Good luck! 

Thanks for following. The courage to send what we write is a battle in itself. I'll be snooping on your thread soon. :) 

Quick update:

My day was turned upside down a bit. I had to shift some things around schedule-wise. My mom is having surgery (we found out about it this morning) tomorrow morning and my job is to dog sit. I'll be up at an ungodly hour (4:30am) that really isn't morning in my opinion but it'll put her mind at ease. I know it sounds like a crazy thing to do, but my mom has an incurable form of ovarian cancer and I figure whatever I can do to ease her mind (especially when it's on chemo brain) I'll do it. Plus, I'll be a bit closer to the hospital so if something goes wrong, I'm at the ready.

Yoga streak still going: Day 129.

Rehab: I couldn't get the 3 rounds in because I missed the early morning window. Not the end of the world it's mainly wall sits and 1/3 of the way squats.

Writing: I got 1,843 words in. My strategy is to build a buffer. I like to have Saturdays completely free.

Organize - Filled in my handy  planner as soon as I got out of bed. Then didn't look at it. I did get my top three things done, but the other items were ignored when my hubby offered to take me out for a lunch date. :)

Epic Quest: Buddy got a rousing game of fetch. As for the clicker, I need to figure out when he's a bit more attentive. He's got an attention span of a gnat especially when there are sounds.

Since I'll be at my parents' place with nothing to do but let dogs run free on 70 acres and I have a house to myself, I figure I'll make the most of it and do things that make me smile. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jayniana Jones said:

Organize - Filled in my handy  planner as soon as I got out of bed. Then didn't look at it. I did get my top three things done, but the other items were ignored when my hubby offered to take me out for a lunch date

That sounds like a very necessary activity, absolutely must take precedence over to dos. ;)

I hope everything goes really well fro your mom tomorrow. Enjoy your acreage and doggy time. 

• Like 1

Race: Elf   ~   Class: Druid Apprentice   ~   Level: 12

Current Challenge

2015-2016 Challenges: OneTwo, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve

2018-2019 Challenges: (first one in progress)

On 12.5.2016 at 4:48 AM, SnowOwl said:

I sure hope you will post some progress videos of Buddy! 

I hope that too, he looks adorable :)

Also your yoga-streak is really impressive so many days and even through an operation and rehab...that's just extraordinary :D

Hope the operation goes well.

(Also prepare for more cheering, now I have the time again for that ;) )

• Like 1

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

Hope things with your mother are going okay. There are many illnesses and cancers in my extended family and I have lost many special people. I'm glad you get to spend time with her.

• Like 1

I'll post my challenge updates later, but I wanted to share some news about my mom's surgery. The surgery went well. My mom has ovarian cancer (this is her second time) in her spine. The spine is a very rare location for it to grow in and she's found reports of only a handful of woman in the US who have had it in the spine as well. The tumor is in the L4 and L5 vertebrae and was causing immense pain. She basically was to the point where all she could do was walk to her bed and the living room couch because the pain was unbearable. She's a pretty tough cookie, so when she complains of pain we know it's bad. 

The surgery she had is in experiment stage. (She's exhausted all other options of treatment so this was kind of a last resort.) Apparently, people who have bone cancer get a treatment called Cryogenic Ablation where doctors go in and freeze the cancer that's in the bone and the nerves around it in hopes to keep it from spreading. It's never been used to manage pain, so my mom agreed to be a test case. When the doctors started working on her spine, they were expecting to only be able to two spots. Instead of freezing the cancer they used high heat and basically incinerated it. Things were going super well so the doctors ended up working completely around her tumor destroying cancer spots. After burning out as muc of the cancer they safely could they filled the bone with a special cement to strengthen her spine. It was a long day but she was already experiencing pain relief. 

It turns out that because she is willing to participate in the study, the doctors will keep monitoring her pain levels and if things start hurting they will do more work at no cost to her. She has a nurse assigned to her to call regularly to ask questions needed for the study. The greatest part is the fact that she has special doctors on standby to help manage her pain for the rest of her life. Hopefully, that'll be for a long time (she's only 57). We'll know in a week how well it worked.

The other cool thing is that if what the doctors did works, it could actually be another key to make some of the cancers (especially bone cancer) more treatable and possibly curable. My mom said the doctors were pretty excited about the results yesterday afternoon and she felt like a celebrity because everyone knew who she was. :) 

• Like 6

That is some awesome news for sure! So glad she is experiencing some relief already. It also sounds like it was a great program to sign up for if they will take care of her from now on. When doctors are invested in seeing their patient succeed in the long term, that is great.

• Like 3