So, I'm back to trying to get into shape (for what feels like the millionth time), but this time doing it DIFFERENTLY. Not trying to restrict per se, but having my main goal to be stronger, like, waaaaay stronger. Strong enough to bench press a bear. Maybe a small bear. And also joining here, so it feels like I'm not in this alone, and can get inspiration and support.

I'm 38 (39 on Friday!) and have a good chunk of weight to lose - my first goal is 50, and I know that will take about a year or so. But I want to focus on strength training. I'm right now working on solidifying and specifying my goals. I know why I sucked in the past - impatient, lack of focus on the long game, and sort of whiny. I'm also hypermobile, so somewhat prone to injury - I'd love to hear from other bendy-flexy folks on how they take care of themselves.

I have always been larger, and have been larger than I am now, but what's killing me right now is how much I sit due to my work. My hips, glutes, and quads are tight and painful. My first goal is to simply walk 10,000 steps daily, for a month straight. Today is day one and I'm at 10, 629, woot!

As for nerdy stuff - I'm pretty run of the mill I think - grew up with Star Trek and Star Wars, (carried a Chewbacca figurine in my pocket for all of high school), love seasons 3-6 of the Simpsons, every Terminator movie there is including the terrible ones, and all things Mario-related.

So, hello!   ^__^

Hello,

I've started trying to do 10'000 steps each day as well.

I'm suprised by how fast I get there.  It sounded like an enormous amount of steps to me, but it's not that bad.  Started doing that last monday.  Only had one day where I missed the goal, but that was a really really "lazy" day.  I went for a walk the day before, and that accidently turned into a 16-17 km walk at a decent speed... in shoes that really weren't made for it...  The next day my feet were spectacularly upset with me :)

But other than that one day, I manage to get to 10k and most days well over it.

Igaduma

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

Hey Igaduma :)

It was a bit of an accident that I got there yesterday - I didn't think I had walked that much. I've been tracking my steps for a couple of weeks and seem to average about 8,000 - now that I'm intentionally trying to up it I feel pretty confident I can do it. Once I meet that goal, I think I'll keep it at 10,000 and just add different activities as well. I don't want to end up spending a ton of time just walking!

And sorry to hear about your feet! I just got some brand new New Balance (my old ones were so damn old) and they're definitely helping.

I have shoes that are better suited to walking as well.

It's just that I had planned on just walking around the block so to speak.  But the sun was out and the scenery was beautiful and before I knew it... well over 16km.

I live in a great area for walking.  It's about as rural as you can get in my country.  Even though I live in the center of what calls itself a town/city, 5-10 minutes walking puts me amongst corn and cows and the like.  The terrain goes up and down a bit making for amazing views, but not so much up and down that it turns the walk into a hike.

I take a walk during my lunchbreak.  When I'm alone, that adds a good number of steps (never really counted them, but the step counter says I'm done way earlier than when I'm not alone for my lunchbreak walk).  Sometimes a colleague joins me, but his walking pace is quite a bit slower than mine so we don't get as far.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Taking a walk in your lunchbreak is a great idea. I work in a few different places - one of them is very suburban and there's lots of side streets to walk on and the other is right downtown which makes it easy too, although more "stop and start" due to traffic lights. Plus, my preference is for walking in the shade, since I burn so easily!

16 minutes ago, Anina said:

Plus, my preference is for walking in the shade, since I burn so easily!

I hear ya!

Le me is only available in two colours: luminescent white and bright red

I do like the feeling of being in the sun though

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 4:40 PM, Anina said:

Taking a walk in your lunchbreak is a great idea. I work in a few different places - one of them is very suburban and there's lots of side streets to walk on and the other is right downtown which makes it easy too, although more "stop and start" due to traffic lights. Plus, my preference is for walking in the shade, since I burn so easily!

I'm definitely a fan of walking in your lunchbreak! That's part of how I got started. :) 

By the way, welcome to the Rebellion!

There's a good thread somewhere around here about hypermobility. I've got excessive ROM in some joints but not formally diagnosed as hypermobile. I do do a lot of strength training (mostly barbell) so happy to help with that kinda thing if you ever want to ask! ;) 

Hope you have a great time here!

Sundae

8 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

I'm definitely a fan of walking in your lunchbreak! That's part of how I got started. :) 

By the way, welcome to the Rebellion!

There's a good thread somewhere around here about hypermobility. I've got excessive ROM in some joints but not formally diagnosed as hypermobile. I do do a lot of strength training (mostly barbell) so happy to help with that kinda thing if you ever want to ask! ;) 

Hope you have a great time here!

Sundae

Thank you! I'm so far really loving it here! Everyone seems so supportive, and I'm feeling really good about the work I've been doing. :)

As I get more into strength training (which is my ultimate fitness goal - to be so freaking STRONG) I'm sure I'll need help with the hypermobility, especially with my knees, which overextend a LOT. So thank you so much!!!

I did the Beginner Body Weight Circuit yesterday and it KICKED MY ASS and I'm feeling it this morning, which is also my birthday! It was a nice feeling to wake up to though, that light soreness - I always feel excited about the muscle I'll be developing when that happens! And knowing I gave myself that gift for my 39th birthday - feeling awesome. :) 

happy birthday