• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AugustaAdaByron

TOW Ada Settles In and Does All The Things

So... despite the rant yesterday on my battle log about the girl trying to sell personal training to me I decided to attend the squat and the deadlift seminars as well.

I'm off training for the rest of the week, they are supposed to give individual assessments on form, and the coach thought it would be beneficial for me to attend the seminars so I thought "why not?".  I'll just ignore her if she tries to sell something to me again.

The plan for the weekend is to go to the squat seminar tomorrow morning, come back home to clean, go back to the gym in the evening for its birthday party, clean a bit more on Sunday morning and go to the gym again in the evening for the deadlift seminar.

32 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

The plan for the weekend is to go to the squat seminar tomorrow morning, come back home to clean, go back to the gym in the evening for its birthday party, clean a bit more on Sunday morning and go to the gym again in the evening for the deadlift seminar.

c095d2b6d856028520475348ade01a49.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

So... despite the rant yesterday on my battle log about the girl trying to sell personal training to me

<---------heading on over to read the rant soon......

In my country, I might say, "I'm feeling poor."  How do you explain that in German?

55 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Dirty puns here, too?

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

If only... ;) 

1 minute ago, Sam Ashen said:

<---------heading on over to read the rant soon......

In my country, I might say, "I'm feeling poor."  How do you explain that in German?

Dirty puns here, too?

As in my poor bench or as in I don't want to give you money?

Dirty puns everywhere!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

As in my poor bench or as in I don't want to give you money?

I was referring to money.  If I have no money, you can't sell me anything.

I was making an assumption in your case because you just moved.  So much stuff going on, it's hard to tell where your expenses are.  Hang on.  Let me check with my budget....

Don't know how many times that got followed up with a line like, "We have a monthly payment plan."  Then I shoot some kind of FML look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

I was referring to money.  If I have no money, you can't sell me anything.

I was making an assumption in your case because you just moved.  So much stuff going on, it's hard to tell where your expenses are.  Hang on.  Let me check with my budget....

Don't know how many times that got followed up with a line like, "We have a monthly payment plan."  Then I shoot some kind of FML look.

Saying "Let me check with my budget..." probably sounds like "I'm interested but I'm not sure I have enough money right now now" prompting them to offer a solution if they believe they have one... Or if they believe that in anyway they can get money out of you...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

"Let me check with my wife" = NO

I imagine German language and culture to be more blunt about stuff like that.  NEIN!

NEIN! ... NEIN!

1 hour ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

Hey, there you are! Didn´t realize you´ve got a challenge up :) 

I was undecided for a while and ended up also being fashionably (?) late ;) 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I'm off training this weekend.

Instead I attended a squat seminar this morning and I'll attend a deadlift seminar tomorrow evening!

Thoughts from the squat seminar:

- It doesn't have to be in a language that you speak in order to understand it as long as you and the person delivering the seminar have a common language to speak in.

- First thing that happened was the instructor asking everybody how long they've been squatting and what's the main weakness on their form. (A bit over two years, knee control and keeping heel on the ground at all times.)

- Second part: Mobility. It was supposed to be about high bar squat but the first part was mobility exercises (which you'd need regardless of high or low bar). They get demonstrated and then the instructor comes by and helps you fix whatever might be wrong so the commentary on the exercises is useful but not necessary. Common sense and someone pushing your abs and glutes to see if they're activated enough will also work.

- Third part: Tips on squat form. Since I told I mainly do low bar squat I only did low bar. The comments overall were

1) To point my toes a bit inwards and that will help my knees track better. (That made sense.)

2) To push my knees out more. (If I had a nickel.)

3) Try pause squat to keep better control overall and make sure I push my knees out. (I've already been doing squat, pause squat, and low box squat for the past couple of months.)

4) Try to push from the outside of my feet. (That's a cue to help you keep your heels on the ground when you're coming up from the hole. I tried it for some time, it didn't work for me and the coach gave me another cue to work on. "Think of pushing with my whole foot instead.")

(Cross-posting from battle log)

• Like 3

Oops, I need to get better at writing down my thoughts. I had already gone past the "push from the outside of my feet" cue to the "push with the whole foot" with my coach, not the guy giving the seminar. In general both cues have helped. :)

The seminar was worth going to. I learned more mobility exercises and I'm getting to know more people from the gym. I consider both of those wins! 

The new thing I got at the seminar was to try to point my toes inwards which is something I'll mention to my coach and try it. 

• Like 1

Regarding the goals of the challenge.

I'm doing ok with sleep.

I washed more stuff yesterday and today I did laundry and started cleaning the outside of the cupboards. New goal is to finish cleaning the kitchen tomorrow by the time I leave for the deadlift seminar (~17:00) or even better by 15:00! In the worst case I should finish everything before I go to sleep.

So goals for tomorrow:

1) Clean the bottom cupboards, all tiles, and the floor.

2) Clean the stove and the shelves I took out of the kitchen and bring them back.

3) Clean any other small items I haven't cleaned yet and finally the counters.

Then the plan is to clean the living room on Monday.

Rereading this post... it doesn't look like a warrior's challenge.

• Like 3

A warrior who's home is clean and organized is then better able to focus on lifting things rather than on navigating a cluttered and dirty living space. It's that mind + body connection thing. ;)

• Like 5

I'm very close to giving up.

I've been trying to clean the kitchen tiles for over 2 hours. My hand is cramping and they're still not clean.

I've tried using the liquid for the dishes, wet wipes for all kinds of surfaces, and a 99.5% (or so it claims) disinfectant using both the rough and the soft side of many sponges (because eventually they give up) and there are still food stains. And being that close to the cleaning products gives me trouble breathing due to the strong smells.

Also, this is what the floor under the kitchen looks like...

IMG_20160514_153551.jpg

and I have not yet been able to find a mop and a bucket. 

2 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I'm very close to giving up.

I've been trying to clean the kitchen tiles for over 2 hours. My hand is cramping and they're still not clean.

I've tried using the liquid for the dishes, wet wipes for all kinds of surfaces, and a 99.5% (or so it claims) disinfectant using both the rough and the soft side of many sponges (because eventually they give up) and there are still food stains. And being that close to the cleaning products gives me trouble breathing due to the strong smells.

Also, this is what the floor under the kitchen looks like...

IMG_20160514_153551.jpg

and I have not yet been able to find a mop and a bucket. 

Wow, nasty!

To clean the tiles, what I use for my own kitchen is Nappy/Diaper soaker. Here we have Napisan, using hot water and gloves, it dissolves grease and disinfects. I also use it to clean the oven and the oven racks. It takes less elbow grease and stress than the off the shelf "kitchen" cleaners. I believe you might find it in the laundry section. Floors, walls, cupboards, stoves, even soak the exhaust fan parts in it, come out clean and degreased! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

A warrior who's home is clean and organized is then better able to focus on lifting things rather than on navigating a cluttered and dirty living space. It's that mind + body connection thing. ;)

I dunno... I do reasonably well living in a pigsty. 

On the pushing the knees out thing, I get being totally fed up about it and it being repeated all the f*cking time.

That said, I've being focusing really hard on actively pushing them out during warm-up sets and it seems to be carrying over fairly well to me not getting as much valgus on heavier sets (although I still get wankers having a go about it). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Wow, nasty!

To clean the tiles, what I use for my own kitchen is Nappy/Diaper soaker. Here we have Napisan, using hot water and gloves, it dissolves grease and disinfects. I also use it to clean the oven and the oven racks. It takes less elbow grease and stress than the off the shelf "kitchen" cleaners. I believe you might find it in the laundry section. Floors, walls, cupboards, stoves, even soak the exhaust fan parts in it, come out clean and degreased! 

I'll have to google it and see if I can find it because it sounds very useful to have it. Although as it turned out I got really angry and started scrubbing the tiles again and again until the stains went away. I also did the part of the floor under the oven and moved it back to its place. For the oven I've been thinking of a mix of water, vinegar, and soda. It's supposed to degrease quite easily if you let it soak for a while.

43 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

I dunno... I do reasonably well living in a pigsty. 

I react badly when there's a lot of dust around. It blocks my sinuses and my sleep deteriorates so I can't do well living in dust. :( 

I blame my mom for that.

Also grease very close to high heat makes me anxious of grease fires. It's not funny living with my way of thinking.

(Sometimes. Other times I'm very amused.)

40 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

On the pushing the knees out thing, I get being totally fed up about it and it being repeated all the f*cking time.

That said, I've being focusing really hard on actively pushing them out during warm-up sets and it seems to be carrying over fairly well to me not getting as much valgus on heavier sets (although I still get wankers having a go about it). 

I try to focus on it really hard on the warm-up sets too. I also do a Marc-prescribed "session prep" where most of the exercises are with bands around my knees. Given how it felt when I first started doing it and now, it must have helped. (Hm, maybe it would help me if I did the squat warm up with bands too? )

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Thoughts from the deadlift seminar:

- As in the deadlift seminar, the first thing that happened was the instructor asking everybody how long they've been deadlifting. (A bit over two years again.)

- Second part: Mobility. Some exercises again. A few similar to the ones about squat and a few new ones, one of which I think might also be useful for bench.

- Third part: Tips on deadlift form. The comments overall were:

1) When I'm deadlifting 30kg my technique is perfect. (If it wasn't I'd have bigger problems given it's around 30% of my max.)

2) To point my toes a bit inwards. (Again.)

3) My glutes don't seem activated when finishing the lift. (I don't think they've ever felt activated.) Do glute bridges right before I do a set to wake them up.

4) Do low rep sets to make sure I have perfect technique every time.

Thoughts in general:

- I can feel the difference in flexibility between my legs. Now with some of the exercises I felt it even more. While doing more mobility stuff right before lifting would probably be the best time I don't want to spend even more time at the gym. I'll see what my coach says about everything and if I can do them some other time. A couple of them I could even do at work while sitting on my desk.

(Cross-posting from battle log)

• Like 2

I'm guessing it's a long shot, but any chance you can get magic erasers?it's kind of annoying that they're a disposable, but with a little elbow grease they really do a number on stains and grime that won't come out otherwise. (Damn, that felt like a sale ;) but they really do work!) 

7x1eyjw.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I'm guessing it's a long shot, but any chance you can get magic erasers?it's kind of annoying that they're a disposable, but with a little elbow grease they really do a number on stains and grime that won't come out otherwise. (Damn, that felt like a sale ;) but they really do work!) 

7x1eyjw.png

THIS is exactly what I was about to recommend! I cut them in half because they get beaten up fast. You can also order generic ones from the internet that are way cheaper. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

7x1eyjw.png

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

THIS is exactly what I was about to recommend! I cut them in half because they get beaten up fast. You can also order generic ones from the internet that are way cheaper. 

I googled it and it looks like I can find something like that here so I'll start the search soon! Thanks for the recommendation! :D