• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AugustaAdaByron

TOW Ada Settles In and Does All The Things

So... I still haven't cleaned anything. I've had a very busy week at work (I'm not complaining, I'm excited about it)!

My plan is to clean the bulk during the weekend and hopefully on Saturday. (Entrance, doors, bathroom, and inside the appliances that I haven't cleaned yet.)

BTW the bench seminar is this Saturday. :D 

I finally ordered a wok and a slow cooker yesterday from Amazon. (Which is way cheaper than the stores and looked exactly than what was recommended at most sites - the wok, that is.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

So... I still haven't cleaned anything. I've had a very busy week at work (I'm not complaining, I'm excited about it)!

My plan is to clean the bulk during the weekend and hopefully on Saturday. (Entrance, doors, bathroom, and inside the appliances that I haven't cleaned yet.)

BTW the bench seminar is this Saturday. :D 

I finally ordered a wok and a slow cooker yesterday from Amazon. (Which is way cheaper than the stores and looked exactly than what was recommended at most sites - the wok, that is.)

Awesome!!! Sounds like the kitchen armory is really coming together! :D:D:D 

• Like 2

I need to find some lifting seminars around here! I know a place 40 minutes away that has them sometimes but I haven't felt qualified to participate yet, if that even makes sense. 

Let me know any cool pointers you pick up!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Plain carbon steel?  I love my wok.  I had a decent wok in college but dropped it and dented the side.  I still used it for a couple of years, but the dent made me sad.  Then, for Christmas one year, my dad gave me a new wok and life has been better ever since.  Seasoning a wok is a bit of a process.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I need to find some lifting seminars around here! I know a place 40 minutes away that has them sometimes but I haven't felt qualified to participate yet, if that even makes sense. 

There is a gym 2 hours from me that has an official Rippetoe coach - forget what they're called - who does half day squat workshops.  I desperately want to go, but aside from the cost, I can't imagine being calm enough in front of a class of lifters to squat normally.  Sigh...one day...

On 3 Jun 2016 at 3:54 PM, ~RedStone~ said:

Awesome!!! Sounds like the kitchen armory is really coming together! :D:D:D 

It does! And if amazon knew the pickup points of the delivery company correctly I'd have picked up the wok already. Instead the parcel is stored at the central depot of the courier company on the other side of the city so I have to wait until Monday. But... FOOOOOOD! :D 

On 3 Jun 2016 at 4:13 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

In the seminars I attended they just talked about warm up, proper form, programming and did a form check. Everybody is qualified to attend one! ;) 

On 3 Jun 2016 at 4:13 PM, Grymm said:

Plain carbon steel?  I love my wok.  I had a decent wok in college but dropped it and dented the side.  I still used it for a couple of years, but the dent made me sad.  Then, for Christmas one year, my dad gave me a new wok and life has been better ever since.  Seasoning a wok is a bit of a process.

Yup! I need to learn more about the seasoning. I hope I will not destroy it. I already have 0.5kg of chicken breast waiting to get cooked in it. :) 

19 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

There is a gym 2 hours from me that has an official Rippetoe coach - forget what they're called - who does half day squat workshops.  I desperately want to go, but aside from the cost, I can't imagine being calm enough in front of a class of lifters to squat normally.  Sigh...one day...

I get nervous thinking about lifting next to new people every time I switch gyms as well as before attending the seminars. But you get used to the form and to the movement so the moment you get under the bar your body/mind will do what they'd usually do. If you really want to go you will probably enjoy it in the end. ;) 

It's what happens to me. (That being said, at the moment I feel like everybody in the new gym is either stronger or leaner - usually both - and it's messing with my head a bit.) 

• Like 2

On 5/29/2016 at 6:12 AM, AugustaAdaByron said:

I've liked that but only for half of what you've said (mainly for having ideas about the next challenge).

That's a great time to start it. I hope you get to rest and recharge when you go back home.

The move went interestingly. I lived at a hotel at first, then to a flat that I sublet short-term because the main tenant (every time I write this I think of Doctor Who btw) went for holidays and finally to the one I'm staying now (for a year). 

It's been OK so far. I'm finally settling in so I hope I'll find out more about it soon. Both the work environment and the gym are great so I'm very happy about it since these two places are where I spend most of my time. So you're moving in two weeks?

Thanks :). And yep, the move is now in one week. It's time to start playing packing tetris...

I'm glad that the transition has gone well so far and that the additional stressors are (almost) gone! And new cooking tools are exciting, too -- I'm guessing lots of food pics will be forthcoming? :D

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Thanks :). And yep, the move is now in one week. It's time to start playing packing tetris...

I'm glad that the transition has gone well so far and that the additional stressors are (almost) gone! And new cooking tools are exciting, too -- I'm guessing lots of food pics will be forthcoming? :D

Yay! I hope you enjoy your time back home! I'm more familiar with packing tetris than I'd like to be...

I have a food pic already... (I didn't cook the food but I ate it and it was delicious!)

u3jaRYR.jpg

Angus beef tenderloin steak with vegetables, baby potatoes (hidden behind the steak), orange-Cointreau sauce, and a local draft beer.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I attended a bench seminar today with a huge number of attendees (three... me, a guy who has just started weightlifting and hadn't benched in two years and a guy who had recently started power building if I recall correctly). It was interesting though because since we were a smaller crowd we could basically do a proper warm up and get very close to our 1RM showing where our technique failed (elbows flaring but I knew that already). Like in the previous seminars we started with him asking us how long we've been benching and then some stretches. He then showed us how to set up for bench without an arch (although he mentioned that tightness is important even if it means that we don't feel entirely comfortable during the set) and we started to warm up (I just used my usual setup and not the one he showed).

After we were done benching and he'd given us suggestions on our form (see below for mine) he went on to talk about assistance exercises and programming (start with 5x5, go to 5/3/1 when you stall, and then go to Sheiko programming). If anybody recalls or has the patience to read these long texts, it's the guy who someone at the gym was trying to get me to hire him as my coach. Compared to her, he was not pushy at all. When he asked us about programming I mentioned that I have a coach that sees my training videos and in any suggestion he gave he also said that I should check with my coach before doing so. I appreciated that a lot actually.

His suggestions were to do pause bench (not really new, it's been in my program for a long time) and to try a wider grip to see what eventually feels and works better. The wide grip was interesting... I could definitely tell the difference in the range of motion but I was a bit confused about where the bar was supposed to touch in my chest. I'd have to rethink a few things but it wouldn't take too much time.

Cross posting from the battle log.

• Like 5

A couple of people around here have said the bar should touch around the bottom bra band. For me that makes for an awkward bar path getting around the chest, but I'm slowly getting used to it.

So they didn't comment on that aspect during the seminar? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

A couple of people around here have said the bar should touch around the bottom bra band. For me that makes for an awkward bar path getting around the chest, but I'm slowly getting used to it.

If you want to see something funny, check out my bench form check after Sp. Sun.told me that.  Awkward is certainly one word for it!  My path would come down in a straight line, then kinda curve around my chest.  Silly.  

Now I still aim for the band, but the bar actually touches the bottom of my chest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

A couple of people around here have said the bar should touch around the bottom bra band.

2 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Now I still aim for the band

I don't cross-dress and cannot comment on the issue.

the bar actually touches the bottom of my chest.

This is where the bar ends up when I bench.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Steak!!!

Glad the bench seminar went well. I find it nice when you can get to things like this and it kinda confirms that you're doing alright 

I'd missed a juicy medium-cooked steak!

That's about where the bar touches now but I suspect the mechanics or at least the movement of your arms would change if the grip was to change so it should take a while to get used to it.

Let me post a youtube video of Alan Thrall that Sam posted on my battle log...

If you want to see something funny, check out my bench form check after Sp. Sun.told me that.  Awkward is certainly one word for it!  My path would come down in a straight line, then kinda curve around my chest.  Silly.  

Now I still aim for the band, but the bar actually touches the bottom of my chest.

15 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I don't cross-dress and cannot comment on the issue.

This is where the bar ends up when I bench.

lol on the first sentence, Sam.

That's where the bar ends when I bench too.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

How about just changing the composition of your meals and increase the work output? #bulking #demgainz

Being in control of my meals would indeed be a good start.

I'll increase the output soon, I'm planning to buy a bike to go to work and the gym! ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I'm very fond of that idea but hate shopping for clothes :P

Rip some old shorts, paint yourself green and go everywhere as the hulk? :lol: 

• Like 2

I'm also good at failing my cutting goals. I think my focus is going to be on tracking everything I eat even if I'm over my cals, because when I track I eat better by default - even when I'm wildly estimating like today. 

What kind of secondary goal would help you reach your primary goal? Rather than focusing on cutting, what habits can help you lose weight by default?

• Like 2

I'm also good at failing my cutting goals. I think my focus is going to be on tracking everything I eat even if I'm over my cals, because when I track I eat better by default - even when I'm wildly estimating like today. 

This!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steaky said:

Rip some old shorts, paint yourself green and go everywhere as the hulk? :lol: 

I'll have to try that!

8 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

What kind of secondary goal would help you reach your primary goal? Rather than focusing on cutting, what habits can help you lose weight by default?

6 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

This!

I'm already half-tracking. I think I just have actually missed cooking!

I compared two pictures of myself yesterday, one from last year at around this time and one from the weekend and it looks like even thought I'm a little bit heavier (2kg) there is some progress. I'll write the new challenge this week. I'll add cutting into it but only if I find any reasons to do it other than vanity and marginally higher wilks. I'll start tracking though.

• Like 2