A Wave of a Change: Unemployment Strength Training

16-week Summer Strength Program (Challenge 1)

I have decided that I will spend my extra time with unemployment regaining the strength I had before I started working and going to graduate school at the same time. Before this I had been lifting for a year and felt great. Changes will be made as I go and as I get a new job hopefully in the process.

I am still going through graduate school so I will give myself 1 to 2 hours in the morning going to the at gym at my school. I will also be taking yoga and core strength classes to work on other important areas. The rest of the day I spend in the lab doing stem cell/cancer research. My schedule forces me to start the program on Fridays. However, due to my current schedule, I will be starting on Sunday (5/15).

Main Goal

• Lose 30 lbs over the summer
  • Regain the energy to juggle Graduate school and a full-time job at the same time

Smart Goals

• Start Strength Training and Yoga Classes
  • Go on jogs/walks through my local nature park
  • Get a new job to be financially stable
  • Pass MB Certification (So that I can get the job I truly want)
  • Drink more water (85 oz/day)

Workout Schedule

Friday: Strength Day 1

- Squat: 3x12

- Press: 3x12

- Assistance: Chin-ups 3x??

-Yoga Class 1 hr

Saturday: Rest

- Core Workout Class 1 hour

-Jog/Walk in the evening (weather permitting)

Sunday: Strength Day 2

- Deadlift: 3x5

- Bench Press: 3x12

- Assistance: Chin-ups 3x??

- Jog/Walk in the evening (Weather permitting)

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Strength Day 3

- Squat: 3x12

- Row: 3x12

- Assistance: Push-ups 3x?? (Graduate to Dips once I reach the ability to do 15 push-ups per set)

Wednesday: Rest

- Yoga Class 1 hr

Thursday: Rest

- Cycle (Spin) Class 1 hr

Level 1 Rebel Challenge: 5/15 - 6/12

Diet:

• Substitute one sugary coffee drink per day for black coffee or tea.
    • I already just use cream for my coffee but the cream my parents buy has flavoring/sugar already in it, therefore I will be starting black coffee.
  • Drink at least 85 oz (3 refills of my water bottle) of water per day.

Fitness:

• Start Strength Training program (link below)

Level Up My Life

• Bring lunch and dinner from home 6 days a week for as long as I am unemployed.

Can anyone help me figure out the best challenge to fit into this schedule? I hope I can find the motivation and support I need through this community.

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice.

Current Challenge: Sober September, and probably longer.

Started drinking more water. Made it to 60 oz yesterday. I need to get through my current stock of creamer right now then I can start drinking black coffee (parents rule). Brought lunch to work today. Had to buy a vegetable though.

Strength training starts in 2 days!

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Today is my last day at the job I am getting laid off from. I want to keep my reputation here stable because there is a job upstairs that I may be considered for. And this new job is clinical so there is almost no chance of getting laid off from there.

So I didn't come in late or wreck the place. BUT I did come in jeans and a t-shirt. ANARCHY!

It's obvious no one cares.

Tomorrow I will go for a jog. The gym at my school doesn't start group classes until Monday so I can't go to the core strength. But I could just do my own.

I'm not counting calories, I never really have, but I don't go crazy with carbs, butter, cheese, and other dairy. If I am working out 6 days a week, I think I can get away with the diet I usually have. I want to ENJOY my food. I will keep portions low and make sure I get at least 1 cup of vegetables or fruit in every meal. I'm good at that kind of stuff.

BTW everyone has weakness, and my weakness is brownies.

Adventurous Druid Ranger

First day of Strength Training!

Warmed up with a light jog. 0.5 mile walk + 0.5 mile jog

Deadlifts = 45 lbs (just the barbell)

Bech press = 45 lbs (just the barbell)

Tried to start assisted chin-ups (was going to use 85 lb assistance) but I started to get dizzy and had to go to work soon. I walked around for a few minutes until I felt better then went to work. Pretty bummed I didn't finish but I want to stay safe as I am just an amateur.

Tomorrow is a rest day, if I want to stay on schedule. Looking forward to Tuesday to start Squats and rows! (My favorite)

Edit: Btw, I have a job interview on Tuesday! And it's a good job, full-time, full benefits, good pay (or so it seems like right now). BUT my professor told me that I can't have a full time job and full-time school if I want my tuition covered (+$6,500 stipend) and if I want to do research in his lab. So I might have a really big decsion to make if I get an offer. Not ready for this.

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Yesterday = rest day

Today was another strength day; 3 set of 12 for each workout

Squats: Comfortable with just the barbell for the first set so I added 5 lbs and so did 50 lbs for the last two. Might go up another 5 on friday.

Rows: 25 lbs (12.5 lbs per arm)

Push-ups: "sissy" push-ups (kneeson floor)

10 for the first and second set, arms could no longer hold myself up. rested and did 5 for the last set.

A few things I have been bummed about but I know I will keep trying to get this mastered.

Didn't get the job. Hoping my parents will be willing to support me throughout my Master's degree. (2 years)

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Did not go to spin class, I feel awkward when there are only 3 people to compare myself with. (And I really couldn't)

SO I did a bunch of things that I knew that I enjoyed. Kind of like a play date with myself. Except in the gym.

I like using the smaller barbell sets. The ones where you don't have to change the weights. So I did some moves with the 40 and 50 lb barbells that I used to do when I was working out on a regular basis a year ago. Pushed myself but didn't get dizzy and stayed safe.

Tomorrow will be the Day 1 of the Strength Program I am following. Then, if I can, Yoga at 9:30am.

A week from tomorrow I will be flying to AZ to visit my mom for a week and 3 days. I'm too excited. I am making a list of restaurants and shops to go to.

My professor has agreed to "hire" me for the summer. It will be through the school and just enough to take care of my basic living expenses over the summer. This is something he doesn't really ever do so I am very grateful. Getting my budget together for the next two years, assuming I get this grant through the school that will cover my tuition and a $6500 stipend for living expenses.

Adventurous Druid Ranger

Well I got back from AZ and then I lost the responsibility of coming on here. The summer was not pleasant. But now I have managed to find a way to get more time.

I have been taking pilates and yoga classes but that is to the extent of it. I am going to pick up the challenge again and do more. Start from the beginning. Let's see how well I can get myself back in the grind.

Adventurous Druid Ranger