• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I'm impressed that you been getting in your workouts after 12 hour work days AND having to go when it is crowded. Many people would just skip and call the week a wash. It's no surprise meals have been wonky with how little you have been home. Give yourself some credit. :) 

18 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm impressed that you been getting in your workouts after 12 hour work days AND having to go when it is crowded.

Yeah. I was real close to walking out last night. But next week is a vacation with likely no lifting so I didn't want to skip two weeks in a row. 

A lot of college kids are out of school for the summer now and my gym offers a deal so they can get 3 months cheap. It just leads to a lot of gym bros doing crazy rep schemes, using bench press stands for other exercises, and taking 10min between sets. I just did my warm ups as DB floor presses while I waited. Its frustrating but I use lifting as a stress relief so I will just keep channeling the stress and turning it into more PRs :)

• Like 1

Probably the best rest day ever(minus the 11hours at work). Past the halfway point of this long work week. Finally got to make a meal for myself that wasnt a bowl of pasta or protein shake...mmmm turkey tacos. And got to just lay down with the windows open to enjoy the nice warm weather(almost 90 today which is rare even in summer) and relax for a few hours which was greatly needed.

W3D3 - Wednesday 5/25

Quest 1: Basically hit all the points above. 

Quest 2: ROMWOD really focused on breathing technique tonight along with extended dragon poses. Breath work is not my favorite but I suppose I can see where it is helpful and relaxing. Its mainly just because I am not good at keeping the breathing pace they count out but I am starting to adjust better.

Quest 3: Nutrition is what it is this week. The percentages were not terrible but overall intake was higher than I aim for on rest days Cal: 2490 (218/95/217 C/F/P) 

• Like 2

W2D4 - Thursday 5/26

Quest 1: Work was long again but made big breakthrough on our project right before we headed home so I was pretty amped up headed to the gym. Plus deadlifts are my favorite so it was a double good feeling. Actually felt good enough to do my accessory lifts as prescribed too!

• Deadlifts felt particularly strong. Raised 1RM estimate by 10lbs from last week to 395lbs and the whole workout went super smooth. AMAP set was at 280 and I made it through 15 reps. That is a pretty big rep PR since Ive only ever done doubles at that weight before. Glad I am still seeing such good progression on this program. Hope it keeps up so I can add some cushion to my lifts before my comp so I don't have to hit 3 maxes in order to make the 1000lbs.
  • 350 method 12" deadlifts - 44 reps at 205lbs
  • 4x20sec overhead battle rope slams
  • 3x15 hanging knee raises
  • 4x10 Bulgarian split squats

Quest 2: I didnt get around to leaving the gym and eating dinner until around 10pm and 40min warrior routine just isnt going to happen right now. Gonna save it and do it this weekend. Think a good night sleep would be more beneficial right now.

Quest 3: Managed to actually eat pretty well today. Wish I could have eaten more evenly throughout the day as we ate lunch at 1145 and then I was in an engineering lab until almost 730 with no food. Wolfed down a quest bar as I left work and brought a BCAA drink with me to the gym and that helped me power through the workout but I was insanely hungry when I left the gym. Classic pasta and protein shake dinner because I couldn't wait more than 10 min to make something else. Cal: 2407(230/86/181 C/F/P)

The long work week is finally over and now its a long holiday weekend and then I am on vacation for the remainder of the week. Pulled over 50 hours in the lab this week at work and still managed to squeeze in all my main lifts and most of my accessory work which is a big plus right there. In the past it would have been a throw away week but the fact that I've got my first meet looming in the distance is keeping my motivation levels high and I was able to power through. I plan on shifting my workout one day early and doing squats Sunday and bench Monday depending on the gym's holiday schedule to not miss out on an entire week.

I am going to a wedding in Alaska for a week where I am not going to have gym access so the rest of the week will be a deload. But we have a lot of plans to go hiking and being outdoors when we are not doing wedding stuff so get to break out the rucking skills(I'll post pics of the hikes).

W3D5 - Friday 5/28

Quest 1: Typical overhead press day. I've been at a bit of a stuck point. 1RM est hasn't moved from 155 in almost a month. The 90% single each week has been easy but as soon as I go over 10 reps on the AMRAP, the endurance isnt there. Could be the lack of accessory work I have been doing when my shoulder wasn't feeling good. Not a huge issue as its not my main focus for the competition but I just noticed the trend looking back at my logs.

Quest 2: Very unique ROMWOD organization on my part. Really wanted to relax and play halo and fit in mobility so I split the routine by exercise and did it between games.

Quest 3: I did eat a lot of Indian food for dinner and a few beers while playing Halo but that was a reward for finishing that crazy week!. Cal: 2798 (241/129/131 C/F/P) 

Wrap Up:

So I've been missing for the last week of the challenge while I was on vacation but wanted to wrap everything up. We had a 3day weekend with Memorial day last week and knowing I was going on vacation I shifted two of my workouts up a day so I got squats and bench in before leaving on vacation. Squats were awesome but I hate working out at the gym near my parents house. Too many people, too few weights, and I always feel like people are breathing down my back waiting for one of the two power racks. And probably most annoyingly, there is no good way to video any attempts...but I did hit my personal best at the end of the squat session, 1 x 315lb which was the challenge goal so we can mark that as checked off!!!

Next day was bench. It is my least confident lift once the weights get high so this is going to be a mental reflection. It has been kind of a big mental challenge once I get above two plates. A few weeks ago, the first time I did 225lbs I had a spotter and failed with two plates on the sides. I messaged my coach after because that was supposed to be a 90% lift at the time and the week before 220 went up with no problem. He suggested just trying 225 but instead of two 45lb plates, use a 45,35,10. Sure enough went up with no problem. Took me a week or two to get comfortable looking at two plates and knowing I could lift it no problem. I run into similar situations now with my weekly routine. I always have to ask for a spot(which I know I should have anyways and if I dont, I bench in power rack with safeties) on my single high rep no matter how easy the previous 2rep set was. If I don't have a spotter, my mind races and I fail the rep pretty much without question. Just an interesting side note about mentality that I wanted to write down.

The bench day last week was good, estimate was a 5lb increase from the previous week to 255lbs which meant the 90% single for the week was 230lbs. That went up easy and my spotter even asked if I was sure I meant I was only doing a single rep. AMAP set was at 180lbs and I managed 13. Still always battling the high rep stamina which I suppose is the point of these sets at the end. It seems that the first 10 reps are easy and then there is a steep drop off in ability trying to get to 15+.

I flew out on Tuesday morning for a vacation in Juneau, Alaska for my cousins wedding and returned last night. The trip was a much needed break from the crazy schedule that I had the last few weeks at work. While I didn't do any lifting while there, I pretty much forced my family to hike with me as much as I could. Visited Mendenhall Glacier one day which was a short touristy 2mile hike and I carried a 15lb weighted ruck. Rehearsal dinner was amazing. My other cousin is a chef and made an entire lamb dinner over an open fire pit at the beach overlooking the Gastineau Channel(Oh so paleo). The food the rest of the week was not to nutrition plan spec, but its vacation so just going to live with it. Didnt track or anything so that was a bit of a fail, although I knew I wasnt going to follow challenge much that week anyways. The next day before the wedding I rucked another 2.3 miles through an old abandoned mining town. The wedding was on a clifside overlooking Auke Bay and after the ceremony we saw humpback whales and a momma black bear and her cub on our way back into town. Day after the wedding, we took a tram 1600ft up Mt Roberts and hiked another 550ft to a more secluded viewing platform which overlooked the entire city. Most people started to leave on Saturday but I was there until Monday which gave me a bit of time to do a longer hike(4miles) up the Perseverance Trail to Ebner Falls which was definitely my favorite activity of the trip. Really secluded and relaxing hike with awesome end point. Sunday we just did some touristy shopping and ventured around the mainland and douglas island driving from end to end (30ish miles). Glad to be home back in the dry warmth instead of the cold rain. And glad that nighttime is a thing again, only 3-4 hours of darkness at night there which is cool because you can be outside in the light until 11pm but makes going to sleep hard since it is likely still bright out when going to bed and sun comes up at 3am to wake you up again.

Getting back on track this week. Setting up next challenge tonight. Going back to the gym starting tomorrow and going to pickup with the two missed workouts(deadlift and OHP) to finish this week up while I readjust to being home and my work schedule gets figured out.

• Like 1