RedStone Deadlift

Here's my slowly failing DL at 150# yesterday. We're calling this a 3 out of 5, the last two fell apart. I can see where it's happening, (and you can probably see I felt it in my back.) What do you guys think, leg fail? Ab fail? Both?? Frank (trainer) wants me to get a belt asap too. Thoughts on all this are appreciated!

First of all - don't get discouraged! Even in the last two reps, that's far from the worst form I've seen.

I don't think you got your hips low enough on the last two reps. I think this is probably because you were getting fatigued.

And maybe not only from deadlifting - pausing that long at the bottom can be tiring itself!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.

Current Challenge

First, these aren't bad at all. Your lower back rounding gets worse as you go, but that's to be expected with moderately heavy+ sets. I do have a few suggestions:

-Ditch the long break time between reps. The rest can screw you by psyching you out mentally, killing your momentum, and/or ruining your positioning. 

-Spend some time working on maintaining upper back tension. Your hips come up first as the reps get tougher, and in my experience, this is often due to either a poor set up (you can play around with that, too) or an inability to keep tension from hips to shoulders.

-Finally, don't forget to pull the slack outta the bar. Before you start your pull, pull up on the bar to get tension on it. This does wonders for maintaining a good torso position.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

Owner/Coach @ Gymless Fitness

My Do Whatever, Whenever Log

"Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change." -Drizzt Do'Urden

5 hours ago, ORazor said:

First of all - don't get discouraged! Even in the last two reps, that's far from the worst form I've seen.

I don't think you got your hips low enough on the last two reps. I think this is probably because you were getting fatigued.

And maybe not only from deadlifting - pausing that long at the bottom can be tiring itself!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, GymlessRanger said:

First, these aren't bad at all. Your lower back rounding gets worse as you go, but that's to be expected with moderately heavy+ sets. I do have a few suggestions:

-Ditch the long break time between reps. The rest can screw you by psyching you out mentally, killing your momentum, and/or ruining your positioning. 

-Spend some time working on maintaining upper back tension. Your hips come up first as the reps get tougher, and in my experience, this is often due to either a poor set up (you can play around with that, too) or an inability to keep tension from hips to shoulders.

-Finally, don't forget to pull the slack outta the bar. Before you start your pull, pull up on the bar to get tension on it. This does wonders for maintaining a good torso position.

Hope that helps!

Thanks guys! I'm pretty stoked about it, def a PR I never expected 'd see lol. I think the breaks started as a way to regain my grips, but I can see they get out of hand, and I get the idea of pulling the slack. Thanks for the tips, will be thinking about them tomorrow! :) 

Overall it looks pretty good with the following comments

Your hips definitely look high to me.

IMO, you need to hang out at this weight for a while.  As a fairly new lifter, I'd ditch the straps, hold off on getting a belt and just get to where you can do 5 reps really solid.  Shortening the pause is also a good suggestion, or if you're going to pause, stand all the way up (which would be easier without the straps) to really reset everything.   Are you comfortable with where your feet are?  Looks wide to me, but that maybe related to hip/ankle mobility as well.  These all count as "tweaks" btw...  

This is probably around your body weight, or a bit under.  You need to get solid here before pushing on.

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

21 hours ago, wildross said:

Overall it looks pretty good with the following comments

Your hips definitely look high to me.

IMO, you need to hang out at this weight for a while.  As a fairly new lifter, I'd ditch the straps, hold off on getting a belt and just get to where you can do 5 reps really solid.  Shortening the pause is also a good suggestion, or if you're going to pause, stand all the way up (which would be easier without the straps) to really reset everything.   Are you comfortable with where your feet are?  Looks wide to me, but that maybe related to hip/ankle mobility as well.  These all count as "tweaks" btw...  

This is probably around your body weight, or a bit under.  You need to get solid here before pushing on.

Okay, hips too high... so, start lower? Feet feel comfortable, but I can experiment. Is there a good rule of thumb for width? Pause, agreed. This is all about grip for me, and I can see I'm taking way too long for sure. (I like mixed, but my trainer - still on the fence about keeping him - is strict about sticking to overhand and is the one pushing for straps and a belt.)

Weight - this is close to 1.5%BW, 150# lift from 105# BW. I feel solid at 135# overhand for 5 with just chalk, 145# mixed for 3... this one was more than tough :P Thoughts?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  

The most common cue for feet width that I've read is to jump lightly into the air.  Where your feet are when you land is what you should use.  What I see with you is a bit wider stance than most, which leads to a number of possible issues.  At 1.5x bodyweight, you're doing really well.  Any of these _might_ give you a boost.

1) Your knees collapse inward, just a smidge.  This means your legs aren't lined up quite right and you have to expend muscle energy to put them back. 

2) Because of the width of your knees relative to your shoulders, your arms are angled out a bit.  This means you have to fight the tendency for your hands to slide inwards which leads to callous tearing and grip issues

3) The arm angle also impacts the load on your shoulders and upper back

4) The arm angle affects your hip position when you start

However, you may be using the wider stance to compensate for a lack of hip mobility.  Wider feet and knees make it easier to get your torso down, but also robs you of the tension in your hamstrings, etc.  

My unprofessional guess is that the use of the straps has allowed you to progress a bit further than your body is really ready for (since it enhances your grip strength).  I'd say you would be better off trying mixed grip.  At 1.5x bw, you're into the belt territory, but recognize that it is not a back support device.  It allows you to amplify the strength from your core muscles.  It is not a magic bullet, but a tool to use.

My suggestion would be to drop the weight back and experiment with a slightly narrower stance, mixed grip and lower hips to start.  See if it feels like a more solid base.

• Like 1

Tally Sheet for 2019

16 hours ago, wildross said:

My suggestion would be to drop the weight back and experiment with a slightly narrower stance, mixed grip and lower hips to start.  See if it feels like a more solid base.

19 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Re: stance width. evabo posted this video on another thread earlier today that might be helpful: 

At 0:46 in you can see how close togther his feet are. (direct video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaNb5HDniYE ) And then he cranks out some deadlifts in this stance more visibly at 1:01 

Okay, took a half a week off and went for lower weight today so I could explore all this. Went up to 125 mixed (I like mixed! what's wrong with mixed??) then back down to 95# for the video, so I was a bit tired, but not maxed out. (I realized in retrospect at the end of this set that the bar was rolling around on the spot bars of the rack. Don't normally like to do DLs there, but it was the only space option today. Wondering if that affected things.) Still don't like that the bar isn't moving straight up. Not sure where to go from here..

I'd say to practice this way for a bit and then move up in weight.  The bar verticallity will sort itself out as you add the weight back.

• Like 1

Tally Sheet for 2019