Having trouble recovering from illness. Ideas?

This has been a particularly bad spring for my allergies, and toward the beginning of April a bad case of bronchitis knocked me flat. (It probably wouldn't have been as bad if I'd taken more time off work, but I was afraid of getting in trouble although I have the vacation hours to cover it.) It took about 2-3 weeks for me to start feeling back to normal. Now the cough has pretty much gone away, but I'm still feeling pretty weak and tired. I've been able to start walking (part of) my former jogging route slowly. It feels great to get OUTSIDE and moving again, but by the time I get home my legs feel like I've just run the whole thing. By the time I get out of work (and my job is not physically strenuous) I feel pretty worn out. Something still isn't right, and I'm having trouble figuring out what area I've overlooked that might help me recover.

Sleep: Needing more of it than usual, but amount is fairly consistent with what I need when my allergies are bad. I wake up naturally a few minutes before my alarm clock goes off, which usually means that I'm well-rested.

Calories: I'm getting enough of them. I've tried getting more of them than usual, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Macros: Proportions are the same as usual.

Vitamins: Getting at least 100% of my daily needs for most of them. Not getting enough potassium, but this is not a new problem and it's one I'm continuing to work on. Not getting any LESS potassium than usual. Also not getting excessive vitamin A. (Which I WILL do if I don't pay attention to it because I like orange veg.)

Stress: No more than before I got sick.

The last time I was this sick (more than ten years ago) I remember having trouble recovering completely until my doctor gave me iron supplements for a bit. I'm afraid to take more time off work to go to the doctor, so I've tried getting more iron via food. The difference is small enough that I'm not sure if it's actually helping or just having a placebo effect.

Or maybe I just have an unrealistic expectation of how long it should take me to get back to normal since it's been a long time since I've been that sick. I've had a lot of sore throats and low fevers from allergies this year, as well as my first case of food poisoning. (But I made it through my work day!!)

Does anybody have any suggestions for other things I could try to get my energy/strength back? Or something I should take into consideration for recovery that I've overlooked?

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

Lalie,

So sorry to hear of your illness and slow recovery!  i can't imagine how frustrating that must be.  It sounds as though you are doing lots of things right though!

i would encourage you to go see your physician. You state that you have plenty of vacation days. Use one....we a talking about your health here!!!  Without health, you have nothing. Ask to get some basic labs done, as i am certain your doctor will want to look at those values and identify the culprit/s. 

And remember, it's about three days of recovery for every one day of illness, so give yourself some time. Best of luck and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Wow, I've never heard those numbers for recovery time before. (Or anything remotely similar.) So I went looking for more information and discovered the concept of convalescence. How messed-up is it that this is totally unfamiliar to me? I've always thought that I was supposed to be back to normal as soon as I'd finished whatever treatment my doctor prescribed. (And since I'm not always I've just assumed I'm a lazy hypochondriac and pretended I was.) I VERY strongly get the impression from my boss that we're expected to be back at work once we're not contagious anymore. (We're too understaffed for things to get covered when someone is out sick. There are no plans to fix this.)

You're right, if I don't have my health I've got nothing. But I have had multiple coworkers go through periods of time where they got sick a lot and had to take a lot of time off, then they "quit" rather suddenly. (I don't know if their absences were the only factor so I try not to speculate stupidly, but I DO know that they were a factor.) If I don't have a job then I don't have insurance or my daily meds so I still don't have my health. But I need to remember that this may just be paranoia and my job may not be at risk, while my health certainly is.

So, what I'm hearing myself say is that I feel used up by a job that exploits my financial situation and keeps me there. This is not news, but I'm realizing that maybe it's time I look for a new job. Especially since I'm still weak and sometimes dizzy. I love my profession, but this company is crap. And I should probably get back to the doctor.

Level 2 Elf Assassin

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

Is your doctor part of a larger health system? Sometimes private primary care doctors only have limited hours but the system in general may have a clinic that is open on Saturdays to see patients outside of normal hours. 

I second the notion of getting some basic lab work done. It does take a while to recover strength if you spent a lot of time in bed, but something else could be going on. You could spend weeks fruitlessly trying to solve a mystery that only science (lab tests etc) can solve. 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

She is not, but I'd rather take time off of work to see her than go to a different doctor. I have literally been seeing her since I was born and her knowledge of my medical history has been really helpful for respiratory-related things. And she believes what I tell her, which never happened when I had to go to someone else due to various circumstances. She can usually get me an appointment before work so I just lose a bit on travel time. Yay for my doctor.

Anyway, I finally went back this morning. Doctor agreed that I shouldn't still be feeling THIS fatigued. She thinks that I may not have recovered all the way from the first bout of bronchitis. Makes sense--the symptoms never went away completely. I'm really glad I went now; they've started getting worse again in the past few days. I can't remember the last time I was this shaky. Called in sick to work today. I got a different kind of antibiotics and a different kind of shot. Doctor said that if this doesn't take care of it I should come back for bloodwork.

I'd say I've learned a valuable lesson but I'm still too nervous about job security to know that I have the willpower to prevent this from repeating. But at least the next time my boss tells me that I should come in anyway since I'm probably not contagious anymore I can remind her of the differences this year between when I took time off to rest and when I did not.

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Hey there!

just checking in on ya.  How is the recent round of antibiotics working for you?  Any improvements?

And kudos for doing some introspection and unraveling some webs about your work. Work is such a huge part of life. You definitely need to enjoy it!  

I've had a bit of improvement. It doesn't hurt to breathe, I'm not shaky anymore, and I think I'm slightly less tired. That may change once I go back to work tomorrow. Still have a low fever and headache that won't go away. (I usually ignore those because technically it's not a fever if it's under 100.4 so I figure I should suck it up and deal.) I figure I should go back to the doctor if I'm not feeling noticeably better by next week.

I enjoy what I do for a living, but I gave up long ago on the hope of having a job where I'm not exploited by my employer. It hasn't happened yet, and it took me so long to get a job I can support myself on that trying again with another job isn't really an option.

Level 2 Elf Assassin