How to increase my running speed

Okay guys!
I need your help. For those of you who don't know my challenges but running distances is an intergral part. I finally reached a marker i was aiming for. I can't tell what due to a pvp challenge going on. 
My next target is increasing my running speed but i have no idea how to go about this. So annyone anny advice?

• Like 1

Lvl 1: Adventurer with monk ambitions

Current weight: 123,3 KG.   Target weight: 85KG

To improve speed, you must practice speed. Generally that means doing some speed work, which consists of sprints (like one day a week, do some 100 yard repeats) or tempo runs (where you run a significant portion of your route at an increased pace). Running hill repeats can help too.

But here's the dirty little secret... The more you run, the faster you get... Up to a point, anyways.

Oh, and when in doubt, train with somebody just a teensy bit faster than you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

On 13.5.2016 at 11:09 PM, Pavowski said:

To improve speed, you must practice speed. Generally that means doing some speed work, which consists of sprints (like one day a week, do some 100 yard repeats) or tempo runs (where you run a significant portion of your route at an increased pace). Running hill repeats can help too.

But here's the dirty little secret... The more you run, the faster you get... Up to a point, anyways.

You can also do fartleks to improve on speed :)

• Like 1

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

On 13-5-2016 at 11:09 PM, Pavowski said:

Thank you for the advice! So you are suggesting something like an interval sprint training? Because runningh ills is sort of impossible here. Long live the flat countries 

26 minutes ago, Schaengel said:

You can also do fartleks to improve on speed :)

What exactly are fartleks?

2 minutes ago, Rab397 said:

What exactly are fartleks?

Okay (beware probably bad translation happening) fartleks are from sweden and mean "speed play" they are a little like interval training(?correct translation?) but not that precisesly planned. So connecting fast parts and slower regenerative parts in a run but all playfull. There are also quite a number from fartlek-plans online (for example one I'm planing to do is 20min warm-up/slow running then (1-2-1-2-1-2 numbers= minutes done faster than normal -= 1 or 2 minutes slow regenerative running depending on how I feel).

Some people say that these plays can be quite hard for begginers (like me ;) ) but the upside I see is that you can slowly test your possibilities (and if I had a plan that said 2 fast 1 slow 4 fast 2 slow etc. I'm so stubborn that I would follow through anyway and maybe don't listen to my body as much as in a fartlek)

• Like 1

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Pretty much like@schaengel said, but I always heard they were less structured even than that.

Sprint til the next tree.

Run hard til that stop sign.

Do this a few times on a run, and congratulations, you're fartleking.

(and who wouldn't like to say their workout included fartleking? Sounds dirty.)

Sent from the mothership.

• Like 3

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

8 hours ago, Schaengel said:

Okay (beware probably bad translation happening) fartleks are from sweden and mean "speed play" they are a little like interval training(?correct translation?) but not that precisesly planned. So connecting fast parts and slower regenerative parts in a run but all playfull. There are also quite a number from fartlek-plans online (for example one I'm planing to do is 20min warm-up/slow running then (1-2-1-2-1-2 numbers= minutes done faster than normal -= 1 or 2 minutes slow regenerative running depending on how I feel).

Some people say that these plays can be quite hard for begginers (like me ;) ) but the upside I see is that you can slowly test your possibilities (and if I had a plan that said 2 fast 1 slow 4 fast 2 slow etc. I'm so stubborn that I would follow through anyway and maybe don't listen to my body as much as in a fartlek)

4 hours ago, Pavowski said:

Pretty much like@schaengel said, but I always heard they were less structured even than that.

After reading this i will include fartlekking into my next workout. Fits in great aswell with my viking challenge :)

5 hours ago, Pavowski said:

I did my first fartlek today (after reading a lot about it) and managed to take 10seconds from my average (distance was 12,5km normally I do 6,15+-a little today 6,04). So first try was successful :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schaengel said:

I did my first fartlek today (after reading a lot about it) and managed to take 10seconds from my average (distance was 12,5km normally I do 6,15+-a little today 6,04). So first try was successful :)

Whenever I give fartleks a try, I almost always end up picking up the average pace of the run around the fartlek. Funny how that works.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

On 5/13/2016 at 5:09 PM, Pavowski said:

True story!!

Want to run faster? Run more

Want to run more efficiently? Run more

Want to stay healthier when running? Run more

• Like 1

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

At my local racecourse there are trees along the path every 3 metres or so. Me and a friend have been using them for intervals. Run from one tree to the next, then walk to the next, then run and so on. It's good because the markers are always there and you can easily switch it up to suit your progress(run for 3 trees, walk for 2, run for 2, walk for 1, etc), and it's easy to set a timer for each tree. Race yourself!

So yeah. My advise would be find a path, or a trail, with a lot of physical markers like trees, benches, lightposts etc and use them as checkpoints, and try to keep getting from one to the other a little faster!

• Like 1

Level 9 Pixie

I may not be the strongest, the fastest, or the bravest. But I'll be damned if I'm not trying my hardest.
17 STR ¦ 17 STA ¦ 13 CON ¦ 17 WIS ¦ 13 CHA ¦ 12 DEX

Latest Challenge! , Battle Log! , CHARACTERYAY