Over the past few months, I slowly disappeared from these forums. On the one hand, I lost the motivation to work on my goals, and on the other hand, my psychologist gave me so much "homework" that I did not have time to post and follow everyone anymore. Now that the homework is dwindling down and I'm seeing the results of not having goals, it's time to come back ;).

Nowadays I'm stiff all the time and my body image is plummeting, so it's time to build up good habits again!

This challenge, I want to focus on regaining consistency and mobility. I will be climbing twice a week and bike commuting everywhere, so I get plenty of general exercise. I'm currently following a "no cookies, no chocolate"-diet to lose some of the 3kg I gained over the last half year, but I won't focus on that this challenge.

Goal #1: Do yoga 3 times per week

Long, short, intense or relaxed, it's all fine, as long as I do something three times per week.

Goal #2: Do 2 strength workouts per week

My strength training needs to become more consistent again. When the weather is good, I'll go to the brand-new "bootcamp" park on campus, when the weather is bad I'll go to the gym. Gym workout will consist of lifting weights, while the outside workout is bodyweight work with some fun skills on the numerous bars or ground. All three workouts below take approximately 30 minutes.

Spoiler

Weight training A (Monday)

Bench press 3x5

(Half-)pull-ups 3x(4-8)

Squats 3x5

Plank 30-60s

Weight training B (Friday)

Overhead press 3x5

Cable rows 3x5

Deadlift 1x5

Hanging knee/leg raises 3x(4-8)

Bodyweight training (Monday and Friday)

Dynamic warming up (sun salutations + leg swings or something similar)

Assisted pistol squats 3x5 (use as much arms as needed)

(Negative) dips 3x4-8

Pull ups 3x4-8

Hanging knee/leg raises 3x4-8

Pike push ups 3x4-8

Inverted rows 3x4-8

Fun stuff during "rests"

Goal #3: Do some mobility exercises in the morning 5 times per week

The exercises should take approximately 5 minutes in total, and at least include shoulder dislocates, cat/cow and dynamic downward facing dog.

Life goal: Play clarinet 5 times per week

To improve my clarinet skills, I need to keep practising. When I'm tired, I tend to skip my practice, which is bad. On a bad day, it's okay if I just play easy songs and be done with it, as long as I play something.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, sterre said:

Yay! I'm glad that you're back! It looks like you have an awesome challenge lined up too!

Thanks :). I'm really excited about the challenges again, this challenge is going to rock!

Today I managed to finish a lead climb route for the first time ever :D. I nearly finished this route twice before, but today I finally saw how to do the last clip. Yay! 

This morning I already did some yoga (forward fold flow) and played the clarinet. My project for the clarinet is now the song "Ordinary Miracle" from Charlotte's Web, which is a beautiful song. I'm glad I'm making the time for playing again :).

fd8ba1f96066f8e98d01da7c5b877adf.jpg

Edit: Does anyone know why I had to insert my smilies explicitly and by hand instead of just typing :)?

• Like 3

YAAAAAAAAY, Waanie, you're back! We are restarting challenges at the same time - how cool is that? ;)

I am glad to see that you are still climbing, and that your skill has improved so much!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, elsfaire said:

YAAAAAAAAY, Waanie, you're back! We are restarting challenges at the same time - how cool is that? ;)

I am glad to see that you are still climbing, and that your skill has improved so much!

Supercool! There seem to be a lot of people that started again this challenge, which made the decision to restart easier ;).

• Like 1

Week 2, day 1 update

Today I did a ton of stuff! I started off with some mobility exercises, then did a bodyweight workout:

Spoiler

Negative dips (5s each): 5/4/4

Half pull-ups (upper half): 5/4/4

Pike push ups: 5/4/4

Inverted rows in rings, legs on lowest bar: 4/4/4

Bent leg raises on forearms: 4/4/4

Plank: 60s

My knee seems to be slightly hurt, so I skipped the squats today. In the afternoon I played the clarinet, and in the evening I did "Yoga for when you need to calm down", a video by Erin Motz. All in all, I managed to do something for all my goals :). I do hope that my knee is okay again soon, but we'll see.

Today is the first time I used rings in my strength workout, and I might actually substitute some of my exercises with their rings equivalent. It's fun and different from what I did before, which is always nice.

Yoga: 1/3

Strength: 1/2

Mobility: 1/5

Clarinet: 1/5

• Like 1

Yoga is fabulous when you feel stiff and sore! Glad to see you back, I just got back a few months ago myself :)

Looks like you have a solid challenge ahead of you. I know my guitar is sliding a bit this challenge due to business and the fact that it's not on my challenge, which is making me sad :( I've only practiced twice in the last two weeks

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

9 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Yoga is fabulous when you feel stiff and sore! Glad to see you back, I just got back a few months ago myself :)

Looks like you have a solid challenge ahead of you. I know my guitar is sliding a bit this challenge due to business and the fact that it's not on my challenge, which is making me sad :( I've only practiced twice in the last two weeks

Thanks :). Yoga is indeed nice when you're stiff, and it relaxes me more than meditation usually does. So I dropped the meditation a few weeks ago, and I'm starting to add in more yoga again.

For me, it helps that I have clarinet lessons every week. Still, sometimes it's hard to find the energy to play. I hope you can pick up your guitar more regularly soon :).

• Like 1

Week 2, day 2 update

Strength 1/2

Mobility 2/5

Clarinet 2/5

As a reward for starting here again, I bought myself a measuring tape. I've learned two things:

1. When I was measuring with a cable + metallic measuring tape, I made a consistent error of 3-ish cm at my waist

2. Filling in my measurements in online calculators makes me feel fat, they usually estimate 25-28% bodyfat for my measurements. I thought I was not very fat and maybe the online calculators are overestimating. So this came as a bit of a shock.

Today is climbing day, but first I'm off to work!

I'd watch measurements more as they move than anything else, they're a much better way to measure success than stepping on a scale. I have to be careful taking my waist measurements not to accidentally squish any of my fat while I'm doing it and giving myself a false reading.

Climbing day!!! Yay!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Installing, Please Wait

Last Challenge :NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Previous Challenges: 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

4 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

I'd watch measurements more as they move than anything else, they're a much better way to measure success than stepping on a scale. I have to be careful taking my waist measurements not to accidentally squish any of my fat while I'm doing it and giving myself a false reading.

Climbing day!!! Yay!

So true! I have not found yet how to measure myself consistently, especially my waist and shoulders are susceptible to how you're breathing and how tight you're holding the tape. I'll have to look that up at some point, but for now I'm too lazy for that. My right biceps and thigh are bigger than the left ones, which I expected since they are also a lot stronger. I really need to do more unilateral work ^^.

Week 2, day 3 report

I did not do much towards my goals, just some mobility work. Climbing did not go well, unfortunately, but at least I went there.

Mobility: 3/5

Clarinet: 2/5

Today my planning is too tight, so I might skip playing the clarinet again. I will do some yoga in the evening, although I don't know yet what kind. 

• Like 1

Week 2, day 4 report

Yoga: 2/3 (daily stretching routine)

Mobility: 3/5

Clarinet: 3/5 (started with a new set of songs)

I think I'm nicely on schedule for this week :). I'm foam rolling at the moment, which hurt a lot. Especially my quads and IT-bands are very tight, so foam rolling is quite painful. I hope that at some point in time the pain will become less, because this is not motivating. I become irritable if my legs are too tight, so I really should roll from time to time. Restless legs are no fun for either me or my boyfriend ;).

• Like 3

Week 2, day 5 update

Yesterday I did an indoor strength workout, since it was raining when I wanted to train. My workout:

Bench press                    3x5  - 37.5kg

Deadlift                            1x5  - 80kg

Hanging bent leg raises  5/5/4

Cable rows                      3x5 - 40kg

Today, I feel that I have not done free weight training for some time, it seems like I get DOMS every time I switch from BW training to barbell training and back...

Yoga: 2/3

Strength: 2/2

Mobility: 4/5

Clarinet: 4/5

20 hours ago, Waanie said:

Today, I feel that I have not done free weight training for some time, it seems like I get DOMS every time I switch from BW training to barbell training and back...

Interesting. I guess they use slightly different muscles?

• Like 1

Getting some great workouts in. I love my measuring tape, makes it so easy to track. I feel the same way about the bodyfat calculators. I'm wearing a size 4 and still at 25%bodyfat:(  But, I  guess the most important thing is that I like how I look, and feel good. Right now I'm just maintaining. I think near the end of summer I may work on trying to get to my bodyfat lower, but only if the motivation hits me. 

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

4 hours ago, elsfaire said:

Interesting. I guess they use slightly different muscles?

They do. Especially my chest gets worked harder with bench press than with dips, and the other way around I'm doing much more hanging and supports with my hands, so my shoulders are always sore after BWW. There's more differences, but these are the worst DOMS-areas ;).

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Getting some great workouts in. I love my measuring tape, makes it so easy to track. I feel the same way about the bodyfat calculators. I'm wearing a size 4 and still at 25%bodyfat:(  But, I  guess the most important thing is that I like how I look, and feel good. Right now I'm just maintaining. I think near the end of summer I may work on trying to get to my bodyfat lower, but only if the motivation hits me. 

Thanks! From the charts I can find, I usually wear the same size :). Although it depends more and more often on whether I can fit my legs/shoulders/arms in than on how it fits around the waist. It's indeed more important how we feel and look than some number calculated on the internet. Most of my muscle groups are visible nowadays, especially in my upper body. It's really cool to see muscles growing, to a point where even others can see them ;).

Week 2, day 6 update

Yesterday was a good day fitness wise. I started with warming my body up with some dynamic stretches. We got our groceries for next week early in the morning, with over half of the items being vegetables. I also played the clarinet, and in "I'm a believer", the fast bit is going better and better. After lunch I went for a 1.5hr walk, which had some beautiful paths in:

mMfVU8h.jpg?1

In the afternoon I read in @Elastigirl's thread that GMB's Focused Flexibility has routines you can follow now, without timing yourself, so I tried their desk jockey routine, which I like. I also did some other yoga, and ended with making our favourite risotto. All in all, yesterday was a good day :). I'm also proud to say that I score 100% for this week :).

Yoga: 3/3

Strength: 2/2

Mobility: 5/5

Clarinet: 5/5

I feel less stiff now than I usually do in the morning, so it seems that all the mobility/flexibility stuff is starting to work :).

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Switching workout styles will definitely affect DOMS a lot, but it's good to have cross training :)

Good job getting everything done last week! That walk looks lovely

Thanks :). I agree that some cross training is good, but soreness is not always fun ;). I can work out more in the same time outside than inside because of the equipment being there and unused, so I'll try to use that as long as the weather is not too bad.

Week 2 report

Yoga: 4/3 (133%)

Strength: 2/2 (100%)

Mobility: 5/5 (100%)

Clarinet: 6/5 (120%)

It feels good to be back, so my first week I achieved all my goals :D. I'm starting to feel less stiff, but I have no idea if I'm really less stiff or if it's the placebo effect. Anyway, it was a good week. For this week, I'm going to make the adaptation that focused flexibility routines also count as yoga. Technically it's just stretching, but whatever.

I also did some cartwheels yesterday, and they were not as bad as I feared. I have to re-find the balance for how much power I should give them, but all in all they are not bad. I made videos, but they are not ready for uploading before I've blurred out my face ;).

Today I forgot my mobility work in the morning, but I did outdoors strength training (just before it started raining) and tonight I have stretched out my hamstrings and hips with FF's side-splits routine. I also managed to fit playing the clarinet in during the afternoon, so all in all it's a good start. Mentally I'm not doing very well, but I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with me. I'm just so tired and snappy. My period is not due for a long time and at work everything is going fine. I'm just hoping it will go away soon...

Week 3, day 1 update

Mobility: 0/5

Clarinet: 1/5

Strength workout:

3 x circuit of

• 5 assisted pistol squats
  • 5 inverted rows in rings
  • 5 slow (5s) dips negatives

3 x circuit of

• 5 hanging bent leg raises
  • 5 pike push ups
  • 5 half-pull ups
  • Like 2

Sorry I disappeared for a few days. I'm just so tired all the time, and I have a bug at work of which I can't find the origin... It's all very frustrating. 

Week 3, day 2+3 update

Strength 1/2

Mobility: 2/5

Clarinet: 3/5

This week will be very busy, which makes me very stressed. Two parties, climbing in another city and the lack of afternoon naps seems like just too much for me. Sooooo tired :(

On the other hand, I did finish the lead climb route a second time yesterday :). I still needed 1 rest break in the middle, but I can see that I'm getting better ;).

• Like 2
On 5/26/2016 at 3:46 PM, vengefulpear said:

Wow, awesome second week for you! 

And congratulations on finishing the lead climb! At least the busy week is almost over!

Thanks! Yesterday and tomorrow will be the most busy days. I did survive yesterday, and I think tomorrow I'll survive as well ;).

19 hours ago, sterre said:

Yay for improvement on your climb!

Also hooray for parties! They might be tiring, but they'll be fun. :)

Thanks :). I'm not a party girl, but a party from time to time is okay. Today I have time to recover, my boyfriend even gave me a day off with grocery-duty ;).

Thursday, I did some strength training in the gym. Not the highest numbers I ever lifted, but more was not going to happen if I wanted to keep decent form:

Overhead press with 25kg: 5/5/5

Squat with 40kg: 5/5/10

Half pull ups: 6/5/5

Yesterday and today I still feel the inside of my legs from the squats, so I clearly need to squat more often ;). I also did some mobility work Thursday and Friday morning, and some stretching and yoga on Thursday afternoon. I did not play the clarinet often enough, since I was so tired on Thursday and had a party directly after work on Friday. I also won't be able to play this Sunday, so I won't be able to meet that goal. However, I think I should not be upset about that, because the parties make it impossible to play those days. I don't want to disturb the neighbours before I leave for work or after 8 PM...

Also, this week I discovered a recipe in which celery is edible, namely a lentil/tomato sauce dish with carrot, onion and celery. I made my own tomato sauce, and used pork fillet instead of sausage. Usually I really dislike celery (and leek), but it's very cheap and quite healthy. Therefore it's always a big win to find dishes with celery that I like ;). Today I made some muffins with leftovers from the fridge, namely muffins with cheese and courgette with cherry tomatoes inside. I know it's not healthy because all the white flour and fat, but still, it's delicious :). I love warm cherry tomatoes, and these muffins provide a nice base for it.

Week 3, day 5 update

Yoga 2/3

Strength 2/2

Mobility 4/5

Clarinet 3/5

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I'm behind and just catching up, looks like you were able to get a bunch done despite a busy week. Hope you are able to get some rest and feel more energetic.

Thanks! This week is all about getting things in order for my holiday and having a few days off before actually leaving, so I hope I'll feel more energetic when we're leaving this Saturday ;).

In the end, I indeed got everything done last week except for one clarinet practice. I went climbing in a different city from where I usually go, and it was fun! I met some friends whom I had not spoken to for quite some time, which was nice as well. One of them took a picture of my upper body to show that my shoulder and back muscles are really becoming visible during climbing:

zeLjJKY.jpg?1

It's really cool to see, usually I don't see my back muscles in action ;).

Today was not a good start of the week fitness-wise, I still feel somewhat exhausted from this weekend, so I got up too late, did not have time for my mobility exercises, then did not feel like working out in the morning and my boss was too busy to join in the afternoon, so I skipped myself as well. I did play clarinet however, and I'm planning on doing some very light yoga this evening. Only 1 working day to go until some needed free time :).

• Like 3
On 5/30/2016 at 1:17 PM, Waanie said:

Thanks! This week is all about getting things in order for my holiday and having a few days off before actually leaving, so I hope I'll feel more energetic when we're leaving this Saturday ;).

In the end, I indeed got everything done last week except for one clarinet practice. I went climbing in a different city from where I usually go, and it was fun! I met some friends whom I had not spoken to for quite some time, which was nice as well. One of them took a picture of my upper body to show that my shoulder and back muscles are really becoming visible during climbing:

zeLjJKY.jpg?1

It's really cool to see, usually I don't see my back muscles in action ;).

Today was not a good start of the week fitness-wise, I still feel somewhat exhausted from this weekend, so I got up too late, did not have time for my mobility exercises, then did not feel like working out in the morning and my boss was too busy to join in the afternoon, so I skipped myself as well. I did play clarinet however, and I'm planning on doing some very light yoga this evening. Only 1 working day to go until some needed free time :).

Love to see those back muscles (and you climbing)! Congrats on keeping up with your goals!

• Like 1