• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kiki Dee

Kill Ten Boars (aka Kiki Dee's First Challenge)

Ok.  I should really start with nothing too hardcore here hey?

My goals for this (slightly late-starting but better late than never) 4 week challenge will be:

Fitness:

1.  Work out (weights or dance) at least three times per week.

2.  Yoga at least twice per week.  (I really need to get more bendy!  Ideally should do it every night I'm not doing weights/dance/evening shift but let's start in gently!)

Diet:

3.  Bring lunch from home at least two days out of the three I work.  (This is going to be the tricky one.)

Level Up Life:

4.  Minimum five minutes cleaning per day.  (And no, I can't count the day-long cleaning binges on Thursdays as enough for the entire week!)

Right.  Let's do this!!!

• Like 2

Hey there! welcome to Nerd Fitness. Great to have you here.

Was looking over your goals and it seems you have got a great handle on what you want and choosing good 'small step' expectations.

I don't think it could work out well with either 1 or 2 lunches for work. Or, I do this a lot, start with 1 for a week and then do 2, do 1 again and then 2. See how it feels. Then go for it on the last stretch. A thought.

Good luck and come hang out in our stronghold if you like. There's a tea and crumpet theme going on.

Cheers!

Howdy. Nice goals.

Have you got a plan for the strength training and yoga? It makes a big difference being able to know exactly what you need to do and makes it a hell of a lot easier to track your progress. Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of dancing do you do?

Welcome aboard from another noob :)

Thanks for the feedback!  I've been managing to bring my own lunch once a week for the past three weeks pre-challenge, so hopefully upping it to at least twice a week will be manageable.  (This week is sorted at least, next 2 days lunches are sitting in the fridge ready to go!  Bulk prep FTW!)  I only work out-of-home for three days of the week, and I know I don't want to be too strict on the Thurs/Fridays because we often do social lunches with my daughter's friends.  :) 

Re the plans for strength training, yoga, and dance:

For strength training I'm doing a very basic workout:

10min warmup on the elliptical

Seated leg press (4 sets of 10) - using a machine because my back feels so unsteady when I squat that I'm not confident to do it with either bodyweight or a bar just yet.  (Historically it's been a problem for me.)  Will wait until the other exercises have built up my core a little more before I look at switching to true squats.  Maybe a month or so?  I think I'm starting to see a difference already and it's only been a week and a half!

Chest press (4 sets of 10) - barbell (20kg tonight, didn't reach target)

Deadlifts (3 sets of 10) - barbell (20kg tonight, probably needs to go up but will wait until I've confirmed my technique is OK with a PT)

Roman Chair - 3 sets of 10 straight leg raises (well that's the goal! tonight I managed 10/7/5!!!)

Seated row (4 sets of 10) - machine

Plank to failure x2 (tonight I managed 45 seconds, but as I've only been able to get up off my knees and onto my toes in the past month, that's actually a PB for me!)

Stretch.

Planning that when I complete the sets 2 workouts in a row, weight goes up.  I'm booking in to see a trainer on the weekend to go over all the exercises, make sure I'm doing them correctly, etc.  But I didn't want to wait for a PT session to get started once the motivation hit!  :)

Yoga is the Nerd Fitness Yoga program.  My husband and I started the first Water workout last night.  We are not very good at yoga.  :)  but we did enjoy it!

And my dance class is Brazilian Samba.  :)  I have a great team, really gorgeous girls, and most of them are in much better physical condition than me.  (OK most of them are also 10 years younger and haven't had two children, but I want to keep up!)

So really, three very different activities there aren't they?  :)  I think they're all going to be complementary though.

• Like 1

This is great. Especially love that fact that you're checking with the coach to verify your form before upping your weights. Brazilian Samba sounds fabulous. Please don't compare yourself to them. You are enough! And judging against younger folk, deadly to our sense of self-confidence. So bust your butt for yourself. If you like it, it will happen more and it seems as though you have that going for you. Congrats! 

• Like 1

Up until I decided to go paleo-ish (a week ago!) it's been mostly sandwiches. Which I never find filling, even with homemade bread. Or soup, which is better so long as it has meat or lentils in it, but you know... requires forethought!!!

This week I took inspiration from Staci's blog post on bulk meal prep. Marinated some chicken breasts in white wine, with garlic, honey and soy sauce. Left them in the fridge overnight then on Sunday afternoon cooked them. Cubed some eggplant, chopped a head of cauliflower and some pumpkin, roasted them with garlic. Steamed some broccoli and carrot and added that too. Divvied up into 6 containers. Took me just under 2hrs but worth it to have lunch for both myself and my husband for 3 days. :) Am thinking of a beef teriyaki stir fry for next week. Of course none of this would work if I didn't have a microwave at work! :)

Hey Kiki,

Sounds like your doing great. Few suggestions or ideas:

1. Have you tried using TRX bands for your squats? They are a good lead in and can provide a bit of stability and support when needed. I'm not a huge fan of the seated leg press but that might be because my knees tend to scream when I use it. Just remember if you do TRX band assisted squats try not to rely to heavily on the bands. I just really love squats. Another great squat alternative is box squats. Which I would probably recommend you try over TRX band assisted squats first. With box squats you can set the height and its a good lead in to full depth body weight squats.

2. Yoga is great. I do it once a week with an instructor but I also do ROMWOD every night. Have you heard of that? It's 20mins of passive stretching, new video every day, very affordable ($9 a month or something). It's done wonders for my mobility.

Everything else is looking great. Keep up the good work.

11 hours ago, Kiki Dee said:

I will be perfectly honest and say I have absolutely no idea what TRX bands or box squats are!  :P

Squat variations for days lol.

A box squat is just squatting except you are squatting back onto a box. It stops you from getting that bounce on your knee, it's great for learning proper technique, it recruits more of the posterior chain muscles so they can feel a bit harder but you have that control of the height and you don't have to worry about falling backwards or anything. The idea is to go back and touch the seat, chair, box or whatever and come back up. (there are a lot of variations).

TRX bands are 2 bands with handles that attach to the wall. You grab them in your hands and squat holding the bands for support and if you need you can recruit your arms to help you back up a little and you can use them for balance. They can lose benefit though if your recruiting to much of your arm muscles to help though.

I'd google box squat though. Can be done anywhere using a chair or anything and gets you thinking about how put your butt back properly. A queue for squatting is your breaking at the hips and leading back with the butt, not breaking at the knees. If that makes any sense.

• Like 1

Well, I have two goals checked off for the week, and on track for the other two.  :)  Have done my weights on Sat and Mon, and dance last night (goal one, tick!) - but will also be lifting tonight barring major dramas.  Healthy homemade lunch all three working days, check.  :)  Yoga only the once so far but planning to do it again tomorrow - I really should have done it on Tuesday evening while husband was at Rotary, he wanted me to wait for him but by the time he got home and we got our daughter to bed it was just too late and we went to bed.  Now I know for next week.  ;)

Even so early on in my program I'm seeing some changes in my body.  I have these little biceps popping up that I haven't seen in about a decade!  Walked into dance last night and my teacher cocked her head to the side and said "Have you lost weight?"  I said "I don't really know, I haven't hopped on the scales.  But I'm working out and eating well."  She said "Well something's definitely different, your midsection's sleeker and your chest is leaner".  As I haven't even mentioned in class or on social media that I'm doing any of this, I thought that was pretty cool!  (Also kinda crazy that she can tell that in a glance, but then her job is quite literally looking at our bodies and correcting us!)

I hope "your chest is leaner" isn't code for "your boobs are shrinking".  Cos that'd kinda suck.  :P

I'm glad I can see some changes because now that the initial euphoria of "yeah let's do this!  eating clean, working out, rawr!" has worn off, I'm actually feeling pretty crap.  Yesterday was really hard, my brain keeps telling me I'm STARVING even though my stomach is like "it's chill dude, you're full"...  I'm assuming this is related to "carb flu", as although I haven't cut carbs completely, I have drastically reduced them from what I'm used to.  Have woken up this morning still feeling rubbish and yesterday's headache has not gone away.  I had over 3L of water yesterday, I have no business being headachey!!!!  Urgh, please tell me this will pass!!!  cos right now I wanna eat a big plate of spaghetti!!!!!

Yeah based on your other thread your diet was very carb dense. The body relies very heavily on them but good news is it's only a couple of weeks generally if you can hold on. The headache can be related to that but it can also be due to the workouts.

Workout out is a pretty big stressor on the body and if certain areas tighten up they can pull on the neck and back of the head muscles which can cause headaches as well.

This is where making sure you are still getting adequate rest and relaxation in as well as stretching. It's not always a case of train more, sometimes you have to listen to your body and just take a 45min epson salts bath :P and chill out.

1 hour ago, TaylorFit said:

sometimes you have to listen to your body and just take a 45min epson salts bath :P and chill out.

I'll pass the memo to my kids. :P

I do think it's the dietary change though. I think you're right, I'm used to a lot of carbs. If it's only going to be a few weeks I can power on through. :) 

• Like 1

Well, today has been a bit of a dietary challenge! Attended a full-day teaching day. They provided not only lunch, but also morning and afternoon tea! (Two "meals" I don't usually consume!) Went for the least - unhealthy option at lunch (meat and salad wraps) and stuck to fruit at morning/afternoon tea. While my friends ate chocolate mud cake. That kinda sucked. I feel virtuous but deprived. :/

I bet the mud cake wasn't very good anyway. Despite my friends making happy faces and mumbling "mmmmmm this is great!" while delectable chocolatey crumbs fell onto their recyclable paper plates...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kiki Dee said:

Well, today has been a bit of a dietary challenge! Attended a full-day teaching day. They provided not only lunch, but also morning and afternoon tea! (Two "meals" I don't usually consume!) Went for the least - unhealthy option at lunch (meat and salad wraps) and stuck to fruit at morning/afternoon tea. While my friends ate chocolate mud cake. That kinda sucked. I feel virtuous but deprived. :/

I bet the mud cake wasn't very good anyway. Despite my friends making happy faces and mumbling "mmmmmm this is great!" while delectable chocolatey crumbs fell onto their recyclable paper plates...

Save your junk food for things you plan that you *know* you will enjoy.  I've been doing pretty well with healthy eating, but I also know I'll treat myself to either 2 small cups of ice cream or one sundae from my favorite place each weekend.  Then I'm craving that all week instead of whatever goodies I see everyone else eating (though some of those goodies are still tempting).  Plus, if I can take the motorcycle or at least drive with the windows down, it makes the trip even more worth it.  Good for you for not giving in!  

Definitely following your challenge.  You and I have some similar goals!  And I'm a yoga newbie on the same program too :) (if you don't count what I learned in high school gym class)

• Like 1

Met with my new PT this morning.  She seems lovely and I've signed up for a bunch more sessions.  Today unfortunately was just a chat about goals, taking measurements, and some baseline testing.  So I haven't worked out since Thursday and am itching to lift!  Have booked in for my first proper training session tomorrow - she's taken my old routine and is going to write me a more personalised regimen and take me through it tomorrow.  Then I'll work out on my own during the week, with a PT session every Saturday for the next 6 weeks.  :)

But in exciting news:  I have lost 2kg since I started my regimen 2 weeks ago!!!  This is very exciting for me as it's the fastest I have ever lost weight in my life!  (With the exception of having my babies, as my husband kindly pointed out!)  No wonder my brain's been telling me I was starved.  I think the semi-paleo thing must be really working for me.  Even though it's a faster rate of loss than I was aiming for (like, double!) I think I'll continue along the same way as it's still a sustainable rate, and I am seriously eating *heaps*.  (Maybe the weights sessions burn more calories than I had expected.)  Starting to really crave the vegetables between meals which is nice.  :)  Have some chicken breasts roasting in the oven and a roasted vegetable salad (eggplant, pumpkin, tomatoes, carrots, celery, bok choy) ready to go with it for lunch.  Om nom nom.  :) 

Plus I noticed last night how easy it's getting to pick up my daughter.  So the strength is definitely coming along quickly too.  :)  All good news!

As I'm not working out til morning, I'm going to do yoga again tonight.  (I didn't meet my goal of 2 yoga sessions last week - lesson learned, don't wait to do it with husband!  I'll let myself get away with it if I do three sessions this week!)  And I have promised my PT that I will do serious stretching tomorrow evening, because there'll only be 36hrs between tomorrow morning's workout and Monday evening's.  The yin yoga stretch session in the NF Yoga classes should cover that I think.  :)

Overall, feeling pretty happy about things!

My "life" challenge goal (10 mins cleaning a day) has turned out to be a little too easy.  I appear to have underestimated how much time I was already spending cleaning.  Will think that one through and maybe switch it to something big that I want to accomplish - like rationalising my wardrobe perhaps!

• Like 1

Oh.  My.  Good.  Lord.

I thought I was really pushing myself hard with my workouts.  I mean, they were hard, and I was moving heavy things, and I am seeing results.  Today has just blown me away!  Absolutely killer workout with Jaimee (my new PT).  I think the big difference was probably the addition of cardio elements, and the introduction of these things I had vaguely heard of around the forums but not looked into, called "super sets".   I came home ravenous, cooked myself up a big plate of mushrooms, spinach and eggs, rounded out with a slice of bread (fresh out of the breadmaker when I got home, mmmmm!) then polished off a banana too.  Took a shower because I was sweating like... well, a very sweaty thing!  And discovered that while I could reach up and wash my hair ok, raising my arms for deodorant was rather a challenge!  (A challenge absolutely worth conquering though!)

Yoga didn't happen last night, as we were waiting for our daughter to go to sleep, and I fell asleep before she did.  :S  (Highlighting again the reasons I need to schedule time to exercise, and get out of the house to do it!)  Tonight we'll just sit her down with her Reading Eggs and either run the yoga through my laptop, OR husband thinks he may be able to make it stream through Xbox Live... We'll see.  :)  Anyway, that makes Week One's official tally as follows:

Fitness:

1.  Work out (weights or dance) at least three times per week. - SUCCESS (3 x weights, 1 x dance)

2.  Yoga at least twice per week.  (I really need to get more bendy!  Ideally should do it every night I'm not doing weights/dance/evening shift but let's start in gently!) - FAIL (1 x yoga)

Diet:

3.  Bring lunch from home at least two days out of the three I work.  (This is going to be the tricky one.) - SUCCESS (3 x home made lunches)

Level Up Life:

4.  Minimum five minutes cleaning per day.  (And no, I can't count the day-long cleaning binges on Thursdays as enough for the entire week!) - SUCCESS - Too easy (turns out already doing about 15 mins a day - Need a goal reset.

New goal for Level Up Life:  By the end of this challenge, sort out at least one of the three following:

- Daughter's wardrobe

- Son's wardrobe

- My wardrobe (eeeeek!!!!)

Green is good! And you only missed yoga by one session. I know it looks like a fail, but how many yoga sessions were you doing each week a month or two ago? I've been failing a little as well but then I think about what I was doing a month ago and I feel a lot better because even if I'm failing in my challenge a little, I'm still leveling up my life in comparison to where I was. And the areas I'm not succeeding in shows me things I need to improve.

Wow.  How quickly things can change.

As I pressed "enter" on my last entry, my 15 month old son called out "Mummy" from his cot.  He'd only been down ten minutes or so.  I went straight down and he was semi-choking, swaying from side to side, and he had turned purple.  He was breathing, but not very well.  We were about to call an ambulance when he made a vomity noise and improved.  Then he got worse again - not as bad, but grunting and working hard to breathe.  So we took him in to the emergency department, who put him straight in a resus cubicle.  Vital signs suggested he was very much Not A Well Little Baby (low oxygen, high heart rate, high breathing rate, high fever).

Long story short he saw lots of wonderful doctors and nurses in quite a short space of time, had an emergency bronchoscopy (under a general anaesthetic) to clear a blockage in his upper airway (which turned out to be just secretions from a virus he's got at the moment), and was admitted to hospital for observation overnight.  I stayed with him.  Not that I slept a great deal, too busy watching him to make sure he was still breathing!!!

He's heaps better now but can't go back to daycare this week so I'm going to be home with him.

Obviously while we were in the hospital there was absolutely no choice about what to eat.  And the yoga didn't happen.  And I have absolutely no issue with that.

This week will be about eating as well as we can, and maintaining as much exercise as we can manage, within the limits of looking after our little man.  Tonight's weights workout will not happen.  But as husband doesn't want to go to Rotary tomorrow, I may be able to go down then.  We'll see how the little one is.  And yoga, schmoga.  I'm not going to manage 24 minutes of yoga without going down the corridor to check on my little guy, and I sure can't do it while he's up!

Essentially, this week's not going to be about passing or failing my goals, it'll be about doing the best we can.  :)

#OKMaybeSomeExcuses!!!!!

Nah, don't think there's any excuses there at all. I know I'd be doing the exact same thing. Just glad to hear that he's better now. Keep us in the loop :)

• Like 1

I am a bit late in the game here but HI and welcome to the challenges! Lifting AND dance and yoga? A woman after my own heart!  These days my primary focuses are dance, power lifting, aerial (circus type hanging from stuff, see my profile picture!), and I am always throwing in the mobility work from yoga moves even if I'm not doing a full yoga class. How do you like NF yoga? It sounds like you are already making awesome strength progress! And it sounds like you found an awesome trainer!

That sounds like quite a scare you had with your little man and I am glad to hear he is back home. It's OK if you have to drop some of your goals in the mean time. I hope he is feeling better soon!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

I am a bit late in the game here but HI and welcome to the challenges! Lifting AND dance and yoga? A woman after my own heart!  These days my primary focuses are dance, power lifting, aerial (circus type hanging from stuff, see my profile picture!), and I am always throwing in the mobility work from yoga moves even if I'm not doing a full yoga class. How do you like NF yoga? It sounds like you are already making awesome strength progress! And it sounds like you found an awesome trainer!

That sounds like quite a scare you had with your little man and I am glad to hear he is back home. It's OK if you have to drop some of your goals in the mean time. I hope he is feeling better soon!

I'm guessing we actually have even more than that in common! I have two cats, and used to love pole dance! Never got into silks or lyra though. :) not through lack of interest, just lack of time and talent! ;) I have an X-Pole at home but it's not assembled at the moment. :)

So far I'm enjoying what I've done of the NF yoga but it hasn't been much yet! Kids do not make it easy! (Thankfully my little guy is much better now, and continuing to not make it easy!)

• Like 1

On 5/23/2016 at 2:58 PM, Kiki Dee said:

Wow.  How quickly things can change.

As I pressed "enter" on my last entry, my 15 month old son called out "Mummy" from his cot.  He'd only been down ten minutes or so.  I went straight down and he was semi-choking, swaying from side to side, and he had turned purple.  He was breathing, but not very well.  We were about to call an ambulance when he made a vomity noise and improved.  Then he got worse again - not as bad, but grunting and working hard to breathe.  So we took him in to the emergency department, who put him straight in a resus cubicle.  Vital signs suggested he was very much Not A Well Little Baby (low oxygen, high heart rate, high breathing rate, high fever).

Long story short he saw lots of wonderful doctors and nurses in quite a short space of time, had an emergency bronchoscopy (under a general anaesthetic) to clear a blockage in his upper airway (which turned out to be just secretions from a virus he's got at the moment), and was admitted to hospital for observation overnight.  I stayed with him.  Not that I slept a great deal, too busy watching him to make sure he was still breathing!!!

He's heaps better now but can't go back to daycare this week so I'm going to be home with him.

Obviously while we were in the hospital there was absolutely no choice about what to eat.  And the yoga didn't happen.  And I have absolutely no issue with that.

This week will be about eating as well as we can, and maintaining as much exercise as we can manage, within the limits of looking after our little man.  Tonight's weights workout will not happen.  But as husband doesn't want to go to Rotary tomorrow, I may be able to go down then.  We'll see how the little one is.  And yoga, schmoga.  I'm not going to manage 24 minutes of yoga without going down the corridor to check on my little guy, and I sure can't do it while he's up!

Essentially, this week's not going to be about passing or failing my goals, it'll be about doing the best we can.  :)

#OKMaybeSomeExcuses!!!!!

Parents worse fear right there.

I had friends who had a similar incident shortly before my daughter was born and I was terrified of something like this happening. Glad he's doing ok.

Your doing a great job so far and glad its working for you, sounds like your working really hard!

Keep it up, and don't stress about missing stuff, just keep pushing on, it's about doing what you can do, and not dwelling on what you can't.

• Like 1

Well, whatever bug my baby boy has been battling, he has shared it with me.  :S  I feel sick, my chest is raw and I've got a rotten cough.

I worked out.  :)  OK, I skipped the second cardio section (5 min of 30s sprint intervals on my beloved elliptical) because I was wheezing a bit too much for comfort, but I got through the rest of the workout.  :) Including the killer cardio rower, where I beat Sunday's time by 1 second.  Yay me.  :)

Plus when I was home with Little Man yesterday I cooked up a bunch of paleo style lunches.  So I am still kicking goals.

And I'm kinda starting to like what I'm seeing in the mirror!!!  For 3 weeks, dang these are results!

• Like 1