• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kiki Dee

Kill Ten Boars (aka Kiki Dee's First Challenge)

1 hour ago, TaylorFit said:

Parents worse fear right there.

I had friends who had a similar incident shortly before my daughter was born and I was terrified of something like this happening. Glad he's doing ok.

Your doing a great job so far and glad its working for you, sounds like your working really hard!

Keep it up, and don't stress about missing stuff, just keep pushing on, it's about doing what you can do, and not dwelling on what you can't.

Yeah... I'm a "go hard or go home" kinda gal.  :) Plus it turns out I really really enjoy moving heavy things around.  :) have only done my new regimen twice, will do it again on Thursday then when I catch up with my PT on Saturday I might see if we can up the weight a little.  It was a lot easier the second time than the first.  Newbie gains, right?  :) 

You're right, every parent's worst fear is something bad/life-threatening happening to their child.  It's awful.  I'm so glad he's on the improve and we had such great people looking after him.  :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiki Dee said:

I'm guessing we actually have even more than that in common! I have two cats, and used to love pole dance! Never got into silks or lyra though. :) not through lack of interest, just lack of time and talent! ;) I have an X-Pole at home but it's not assembled at the moment. :)

So far I'm enjoying what I've done of the NF yoga but it hasn't been much yet! Kids do not make it easy! (Thankfully my little guy is much better now, and continuing to not make it easy!)

Oooh pole!!! I really want to try that eventually. We don't have a good pole studio where I live and I'd have to drive about 45 min to the nearest one. Maybe some day!

My favorite apparatus is probably hammock (but this might also be because I have the most skills I know on that one??) It's like silks but rather than two separate silks it's one fabric that is looped. You can do some silk things with it but since it is one looped piece the way you get into things is different (less wrapping, more rolling around? Haha.) My goal this year is to get less abysmal at lyra and make myself get over the OWW OWW hard object OWW. Oh the bruising!  I imagine pole is pretty bruise-y too?

Should you ever want to chat with circus weirdos we have a handful of us over in the assassins! :)

And boo!!! :( I am sad to hear you are not feeling well!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

Oooh pole!!! I really want to try that eventually. We don't have a good pole studio where I live and I'd have to drive about 45 min to the nearest one. Maybe some day!

My favorite apparatus is probably hammock (but this might also be because I have the most skills I know on that one??) It's like silks but rather than two separate silks it's one fabric that is looped. You can do some silk things with it but since it is one looped piece the way you get into things is different (less wrapping, more rolling around? Haha.) My goal this year is to get less abysmal at lyra and make myself get over the OWW OWW hard object OWW. Oh the bruising!  I imagine pole is pretty bruise-y too?

Should you ever want to chat with circus weirdos we have a handful of us over in the assassins! :)

And boo!!! :( I am sad to hear you are not feeling well!

I tried hammock once.  I loved it, but it was putting too much pressure on the sorest part of my back so I didn't pursue it.  Might be able to try it again once my strength is supercharged and my back's in better working order.

Yes pole is certainly very bruisey!  But oh so worth it.  I loved it.  Quit when I was pregnant with each of my children (pregnancy totally messed up my centre of gravity and I didn't trust myself up there any more), and haven't been back since my son was born (time constraints).  I suspect it's easier to start than silks or lyra, as you don't have to be uber strong just to get up there and spin.  ;)  My core's never been strong enough for much inverted work which is unfortunate because the moves I *did* do, I just loved.  :) 

I've been trying to figure out over this challenge what guild I should be heading towards and Assassins is one of the three I'm thinking about!  It's a bit tricky... I love dance/pole, which would suggest assassins.  But I'm not doing a great deal of it right now.  I also love love love moving heavy things around at the gym, and... let's say my "starting race" would probably be a stocky, solid, short, built-like-a-fire-hydrant Halfling!  Though I'm hardly headed in the direction of competitive powerlifting or anything (although of all the athletic skills my body is well-designed for, lifting is probably number one).  Which would suggest warriors if I'm enjoying pursuing that, right?  And then putting the two together would probably be something like the rangers, though they seem a little more interested in more high-intensity outdoorsy stuff that I really have zero interest in.  :P Perhaps I should stay a rebel with commitment issues!  ;) Or switch about between the assassins and warriors based on my mood.  ;) 

Arrrgghhh.

Tonight is another real test.  I love dancing.  I want to go dancing.  Dance is tonight.

But.

I almost never participate in performances.  And when I do, it's only ever when I really know and can nail the routine.

Tonight instead of our usual class, our teacher wants us in full costume/makeup, and she wants to film us.

Issues:

1.  I don't know this term's routine terribly well.

2.  I can't dance fabulously well without heels, and we're not allowed heels in the current (temporary) studio.

3.  I don't have time to get a tan, so I'll be the neon-white wobbly one on the end of the line of gorgeous lean brown girls.

4.  I don't know how well my costume is going to fit atm - have only worn it once since having my son and "not a good look" would be the politest way to describe it.  Think "cascading muffin top".

5.  I'm still sick.

6.  I genuinely don't think I can be bothered putting on a full face of makeup and false lashes at that hour of the evening, with the week I've been having.

Oh, AND just in case there weren't enough reasons to avoid it:

7.  It's That Time Of The Month, and I'm crampy as f***.  A full week early, yay lucky me!  (I'm going to blame the stress.)

But I do want to dance.  :(  I rate my chances of turning up tonight at about 50%...

How did it go? Did you go? Totally understand not feeling up to it, if you opted not to go! There will be future performance opportunities that you will feel ready for if you want to do them, or you can just enjoy class and avoid the stress if it isn't something you want to do!  :)

• Like 1

I decided to go, spent like half an hour getting my stuff together, then couldn't find my makeup... :( so in the end, no I didn't go! I didn't really mind though. It was an awful lot of effort for this week!

That would have been mildly annoying. I hate it when that sort of thing happens. What sort of dancing is it you do?

And it sounds like you're generally smashing things at the moment :)

Brazilian Samba. :) Hence the high level of costuming prep, and high level of anxiety over wobbly lilywhite self in sequinned g-string bikini! :P 

Yeah I feel like overall I'm really knocking it out of the park with the fitness goals. This group is so great for keeping me honest!!! (Heck, right now I'm sitting here eating my scrambled eggs, sauteed mushrooms and spinach, happy as a clam knowing the calories will be blitzed off in tonight's workout!) However it has come at the expense of study time, and with my final-ever exam looming in October, that's gonna have to change. Next challenge I will have a specific goal for study, which I think will help. :) 

Arrrgghhh what is wrong with me and alcohol all of a sudden though????

Last week it was two glasses and I felt like I'd had too much... Today it's been literally half a glass of red while I cooked Bolognese and I'm all lightheaded and tipsy!!! 

Thank Heavens I'm not driving to the gym for another two hours!  Think I'd better lay off the rest of the glass until post-workout!!!

It looks like this "good health" thing is contagious!  At dinner last night (Bolognese, where I had zucchini and everyone else had spaghetti) my husband asked me if he could please have the zucchini too next time!  ( :o )  And when I woke up this morning, he'd already been up for an hour with the baby, and had made his way though the BBWW!!!!!

This is all rather a shock!  In a good way of course.  :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

Ooh, Samba. That is fun.

And sounds like hubby might be a closet Rebel?

How's things going?

He may be, but I doubt he's prepared to declare yet.  :)

Yesterday was a great day, one where you just think "yeah! killing it!"  Today is quite the opposite.  Awful stomach pains all morning, only thing I've been able to stomach is a couple of pieces of bread.  Which is a big deviation from the diet plan!!!  But the pain is settling down now so hopefully will be able to manage some better options through the rest of the day.  :)

Maybe he's going to ease into it gently, like when people gingerly lower themselves into the pool. Whereas you've just yelled "CANNONBALL!" and dived into the deep end.I think my fiancee is the same, slowly sidling into it until they're a rebel and then say "What, I was here all along" :P

Hope the stomach pain isn't anything too serious and is just one of those random things that happen from time to time.

• Like 1

Haha, honestly my challenge is not that extreme! It's just that all the little, incremental steps they suggest for newbies... I've already done them all before coming here. I had no soda or snacks to cut down on. No sugar to take out of my coffee. I already make 10000 steps more days than not, so a 10 minute walk wasn't going to make a snowflake's difference for me! Quite literally all I had left to add was paleo-ing up, and formal exercise, so that's what I've done! (Well, I could calorie track, but I'd really resent that, whereas I love exercise and enjoy healthy nourishing food!)

This is the first time I've approached this stuff from a position of self-love. Every other time I've launched into exercise with the mindset "I hate my body, I must change it". This time I have the attitude "I love my body, I must nurture it". So hopefully it's going to stick. :) 

Lol.  I bought my husband a yoga mat yesterday (I already had one).

My husband and 4yo daughter are currently using the yoga mats to light-sabre battle up and down the corridor.  It's hilarious.  :) 

• Like 2

Random musings on some long-term goals.  Like, we are talking *years* here.  Time out of the house being as inflexible as it is with little ones, I know I don't have time to focus on all of these at the moment!

I want to go back to aerial.  I love pole and I want to do it again.  Being strong strong strong will make this easier.  I would like to try silks one day as well.  I need to be strong strong strong and bendy bendy bendy for that.  So, short term, weights + yoga is going to help me along this path.

I want to try indoor rock climbing.  Again, strong and bendy would be useful.  So working in the right direction.  This is an activity I would like to do with a friend.  I don't have a specific friend in mind.  The two I can think of who might enjoy it are both currently pregnant.  I think this is something that can wait while I'm sorting out the rest of my lifestyle!

I want to speak another language.  I studied Italian at school, I was really good at it (good enough to get by on a trip to Italy 15 years later).  I want to improve and become fluent.  I don't have time to attend classes atm and my study time right now needs to be directed towards the exam in October.  Possibly Duolingo after October?

I want to connect with my local church.  Their service times are unfortunately the only "family" morning we have, and I'm not prepared to sacrifice that at present.  Will think on it.

I want to focus on *one* craft and get good at it.  At the moment I dabble in cross stitch, knitting, sewing... And there's really nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to narrow down and get really good at one.  I think it's going to be sewing, it seems to be the one I enjoy the most, and I get such a kick out of making clothes for the kids.  :) Broken record, but After October.   :)  (Tune in in November, folks, to see the Post Exam Challenge Thread Of Doom!!!!)

I want to be involved with my childrens' school.  That will not happen next year (2017, my daughter's first year of primary school), as next year I will be working full time with a lot of overtime and it's just not likely to work out.  But maybe in 2018 I can join the P+C, help with the reading groups, etc.

Enough for now.  :) Meeting my PT in 45 mins, time to get dressed.  :) 

• Like 2

They're really good long term goals, and would probably make setting the NF challenges easier for yourself. You've got something to strive for this way.

Oooh yeah!!! Who just did yoga tonight, for the SECOND time this week???!!!

This gal!!!

*thoroughly embarrassing victory dance involving stirring-the-pot and hands-in-the-air*

• Like 2

Really struggling the last two days.  :S

Yesterday I did a 12hr shift at work.  Nothing dramatic, no big emergencies, just running from one end of the birth suite to the other, up and down from the ward... generally exhausting.  Add in bloody crippling DOMS (from Saturday's killer PT session) which by the end of the day had me struggling to get down the stairs (up was a little easier), and it was an absolute bugger of a day.  I brought my own lunch, so was well behaved there, but never felt full and struggled the entire day walking past The Trough (our name for the little table in the middle of birth suite that we all bring snacks/nibbles along to on night shift and weekends).  By 7.30pm I was absolutely starving, had run out of willpower, and ate like 4 bite-size Mars bar things.  :(  Totally not worth breaking the diet for.  Came home and heated up some leftovers for dinner but was in such a rotten frame of mind I added the last slice of our loaf of bread.  OK so by my old standards that's not a terrible transgression but I do try to keep the bread to just one slice a day, and I had it in the morning!  Essentially a big fat diet fail.  Lesson:  On cover shifts, bring more than just the one snack (had a banana but that was gone by mid morning!).

Today I am still in dreadful pain and not functioning brilliantly.  My quads hate me!  I struggled through work all day.  I was sticking to the eating plan (brought my lunch from home, that's my two for the week sorted already!) but then my gorgeous husband (who works in the same hospital) got word (somehow) that I hadn't had a proper lunch break.  (First two clinic patients came 45 minutes late - threw out the whole morning.)  Suddenly a slice of chocolate cake is delivered to my clinic room!!!  I have been very restrained and appreciative because let's be honest, that is totally gorgeous and thoughtful of him!  But my heart sank because that's now two days in a row that I've deviated from The Plan.  :S  Trying to stop beating myself up over it because there is nothing at all wrong with enjoying one 10x3cm slice of mud cake that has been given to you with love!  Must Curb Perfectionist Tendencies!!!!!!

So even though the pain in my legs is still really bad I decided to go do my workout anyway.  Monday is kinda the lynchpin of the week for me.  If I don't get to Monday, then I can't do my resistance work out again until Thursday.  I deloaded on my squat press and made it through, did ok on the cardio rows (even though I didn't really go 100% the whole attempt, all 3 times were still better than my first time a week ago!), but by the time I got round to my second lot of cardio (elliptical) my legs were just failing completely.  Had to bail on the second half of that cardio and a few core elements that I simply couldn't execute (eg couldn't even get up into the plank!)  I did manage to increase my weight for most of the upper body workout which made me happy.  And for the first time I smashed out my two sets of 10 pushups (yeah, on my knees!  baby steps!) without taking a break.  Feeling pretty proud of that!  But now my glutes are sharply sore and shaky.  Despite all the articles saying "yeah just deload and workout through your DOMS" I don't think it was necessarily the right move tonight.  Should possibly have skipped the leg work or even just skipped the single-leg squat presses, maybe switched to an arm activity for that second cardio set.  Lessons learned I guess.

Not sure how tomorrow will go.  I'm hoping to wake up and not be a ball of pain cos I'm a little over it!  Anyone got any pro tips for settling the muscles down?  (other than "maybe learn where your limits are a bit better and don't be so bloody stubborn about Doing All The Sets next time"???)

I'm probably also disheartened because the scale hasn't gone down this week.  I know there are other metrics that are more important than the scale, but that's the easiest objective one to keep an eye on!  :( I do think improvements are still happening, I have this bicep popping up on the right side to say "hi!" and am rediscovering my deltoids.  :) Ignore scale, focus on feel/clothes. etc etc...

Yeah, it can be tricky with DOMS. Still, lesson learned.

So awesome to see that you're killing it on just about every level! :):D

Ignore the scales, you have muscles happening!

benchpress-bear.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

Yeah, it can be tricky with DOMS. Still, lesson learned.

So awesome to see that you're killing it on just about every level! :):D

Ignore the scales, you have muscles happening!

benchpress-bear.jpg

Can I like print out that picture and tape it to my bathroom mirror???!!!

• Like 2

Having to move when you got some serious DOMS going on isn't fun. Your doing great though. I always tell my self that not going anywhere is still better then going backwards, even if I know I am still improving the changes just aren't noticeable sometimes. 

I think the suckiest part about starting to train is that a few weeks in, or months, you hit that point where you plateau out a bit, It's like your body wised up to what you where doing and decides to try and go backwards. I read somewhere a while ago, don't quote me on this, but it can take up to 2 months for the body to start accepting the changes and start to adapt and grow.

Give it time, it's a marathon not a sprint. Sustainability is key.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TaylorFit said:

Having to move when you got some serious DOMS going on isn't fun. Your doing great though. I always tell my self that not going anywhere is still better then going backwards, even if I know I am still improving the changes just aren't noticeable sometimes. 

I think the suckiest part about starting to train is that a few weeks in, or months, you hit that point where you plateau out a bit, It's like your body wised up to what you where doing and decides to try and go backwards. I read somewhere a while ago, don't quote me on this, but it can take up to 2 months for the body to start accepting the changes and start to adapt and grow.

Give it time, it's a marathon not a sprint. Sustainability is key.

I don't know how noticeable the changes are to anyone else.  I can feel a difference, and husband insists there's a difference.  Though I have my suspicions he keeps telling me this just so I'll keep taking my clothes off to let him look.  :P  Looking in the mirror I'm hard pushed to see major changes from the baseline photos though.  (Possibly cos they came out better than my self-image led me to expect).  I'm sure the muscles are growing, I can tell I'm stronger every time I pick up my children (who I am fairly sure are not *actually* getting any lighter) but until I've burned away a bit more of the fat layer I'm not going to see a great deal!  I don't think I've hit that improvement plateau yet, still seeing progress with every training session (especially with the upper body) but it's good to know it's coming before it hits me.  :) Thank you.  :) 

You guys are all so great with the encouragement.  :)  definitely helping me keep the momentum up!  Last night I really didn't want to work out but I thought to myself "no, I must go, I can't get on the forum and tell Tay and Kvedulf and Seven and Badger and Kittehz and all my other NF friends that I just didn't bother!"  And the DOMS is actually heaps better today (other than one pesky knot in the middle of my right quad, grrr) so it probably was the right decision to go in the end, even if I felt rubbish afterwards.

Re "doing great" - it's very kind of you all to say.  :)  From my PoV I'm just the middle-aged chubby new girl in the gym who's only benching like 10kg (well, 20 with BB but doing 10 with DBs atm!) and has to do her pushups on her knees!  I'll be honest, I totally love the positive feedback.  ;) 

I think next challenge I'm going to go either Ranger or Warrior.  I really am pretty fixated on the lifting atm.  But Kvedulf I'm still going to be following your thread if you're over in the druid forum!  :P 

• Like 2