• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kiki Dee

Kill Ten Boars (aka Kiki Dee's First Challenge)

Did my yoga tonight, as dance is on a week off between terms.  :)  Way to go me.  :) 

Had two glasses of red wine and am feeling decidedly drunk.  :S  That tolerance has seriously disappeared around the same time I ditched the carbs...

Have had a rotten headache all evening and think I'll go to bed.  I did my yoga, I'm allowed!  ;) 

I know the feeling of not wanting to let your Rebel buddies down. I kind of find myself doing similar already. Awesome how quickly these things can start to become part of your everyday life when you actively work on it. And now that I'm following you, I'll be able to keep up even if you're off with the Rangers or Warriors.

That's odd with the intolerance to alcohol. How much/ how often were you drinking previously, if you don't mind me asking? Because I used to drink A LOT but I stopped drinking and now I usually get a mild hangover from two beers if I do decide to have something to drink. I've turned into a complete lightweight! It's good though, because it means I'm not going to go on a bender any time soon :P

4 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

That's odd with the intolerance to alcohol. How much/ how often were you drinking previously, if you don't mind me asking? Because I used to drink A LOT but I stopped drinking and now I usually get a mild hangover from two beers if I do decide to have something to drink. I've turned into a complete lightweight! It's good though, because it means I'm not going to go on a bender any time soon :P

I've never really drunk a great deal. Certainly in the last 5 years I've spent 18mths pregnant and alcohol-free, and 14 months breastfeeding on a strictly limited intake.

I haven't actually changed my alcohol intake at all during this challenge. I love love *love* red wine, and usually have 2 (occasionally 3) glasses 2-3 nights per week. I rarely drink anything if I'm working the next day (definitely not if I'm operating) and I never have more than three glasses (when I do it's usually over about 4hrs). Kids to be responsible for! I don't drink anything at all if I'm driving that night - at my height it's not worth the risk! Usually husband and I will split a bottle, he has about 2/3 and I have 1/3 because I'm a 5'1 female and he's a 6'4 male! I'm just annoyed because I will have to reduce to 1 glass if it keeps affecting me like this, and good wine is my big pleasure!!!

Actually this may be the smallest most insignificant "woohoo go me!!!" moment in NF history, but I took both kids to the markets today, and they fell asleep. So I carried both of them upstairs. And then two boxes full of fruit and veggies. And then a bag of meat from the butchers.

So why is this a "w00t" moment? Historically when I do a shop, I will carry up one or both of the children, then carry up anything immediately perishable and put it in the fridge. So basically the meat and dairy. Anything else usually gets left at the bottom of the stairs in the garage, for my husband to bring up later. My back has simply never stood up to bringing up those boxes - when I've tried, I've sent myself into spasm. Well, today I thought "I've been moving heavy things around for weeks now. Maybe I can do this?" And do you know what?

I totally did. :) No pain. No weakness. No spasm, and no analgesics required. :) Yay me!!!!!

• Like 1

That is not insignificant at all that is a great woot as it show in an everyday moment how much change you've had!! I know how hard it is to lug two kids and then groceries up stairs so revel in your woohoo!!!

• Like 1

OK, I should probably make my final checkin for this challenge hey?

I'm really pleased with how I've done overall.

1.  Work out (weights or dance) at least three times per week. - A+

This was one of the two big goals for me.  I have done my weight training three times every week for the past month, and I am definitely seeing a difference in both what I can lift at the gym and my functional strength.  I only went to dance 2 weeks out of 4, but one of those "missed" weeks dance wasn't actually on (term break) so I couldn't go, and the other missed week was due to costume malfunction!  No classes skipped due to apathy so I count that as an absolute win.  :) 

2.  Yoga at least twice per week.  (I really need to get more bendy!  Ideally should do it every night I'm not doing weights/dance/evening shift but let's start in gently!) - C.

I only managed yoga twice during one week.  But I did manage to do a yoga session at least once each week.  This is a huge improvement on where I was pre-challenge so I'm going to give myself a pass here!  I also realised that twice a week literally IS almost every night I'm not doing dance/weights/work!!!  I think twice a week will not work with my life at present so for next month I'm going to aim for once a week.  And I'm doing a big, slow stretch after my workouts too so hopefully that will help flexibility as well.

3.  Bring lunch from home at least two days out of the three I work.  (This is going to be the tricky one.) - A+

Wow.  I completely smashed my own (admittedly low) expectations here.  Since starting the challenge, I have taken my own lunch to work literally every day I have worked.  Including the weekend!  I'm actually blown away by that.  Way to go, me!!!  I've found the flavour of my homemade lunches to be so much better than the food from the caf.  And my husband pointed out yesterday that we're saving so much money by bringing our own lunches, that it almost covers the cost of seeing my personal trainer weekly!  So as long as I keep doing the lunch prep, I can buy more sessions with my PT!  This makes me very happy.  :)  I'm loving the veggie-heavy diet, though I am having a few issues I wasn't experiencing before (heartburn, anyone???).  I think I may keep this goal for my next challenge, because if I keep this up for another month I suspect it will become a Proper Habit.  :)  This was the other Really Important Goal for me so I'm thrilled that I did really well with it.  :) 

4.  Minimum five minutes cleaning per day.  (And no, I can't count the day-long cleaning binges on Thursdays as enough for the entire week!) - A, but no extra credit!

Well I definitely managed 5 mins cleaning a day.  Turns out I do more like 30 minimum on most days, plus those Thursday cleans.  But the stretch goals I gave myself didn't happen.  Considering baby's hospital admission, and the fact he's still not quite well (just back to back head colds, but as that's what made him choke in the first place we are totally paranoid!!!), I am totally ok with this.  I suspect they will happen over the next 3 weeks while husband has some annual leave so I can get some personal time with the closets while he looks after the small ones.

All in all, I count this challenge a total win.  I didn't achieve EVERYTHING but I've definitely given my lifestyle a total overhaul and am feeling better for it.  Exhausted, but better!

Oh, and I did finally make a decision.  For my next challenge, I am going to head over to... *dun dun dunnnnnnn* - the Rangers.  :)  Was a tossup between Rangers and Warriors but I decided that where I'm headed at this stage is probably a bit more functional strength than heavy lifting, I want to improve my cardiovascular fitness for dance - and I have a very large career goal that I'm going to have to focus on in every challenge from now until November!  So for now the Rangers is it.  Given my pathological aversion to running, I'm not sure whether that will stick, but they seem like a really nice group of people.  :)  (well ok, the warriors also seem like a really nice group of people... wouldn't surprise me if I jump over there for a challenge or two in the coming months/years!)

Thank you, Rebels!  You've been an awesome bunch of friends and I can't wait to follow along with all your next challenges, whichever guilds you end up in!

<3 KD

• Like 2