Tackling Transformation

My goals are:

• Lower body fat - I was at 30% in January 2015, around 24% now and am aiming for 19-20%
  • Strength - I'm working on my crow pose for yoga, which requires upper body and core strength, so I need to work on those
  • Flexibility - unlocking those hip flexors and hamstrings!
  • Working out in the morning - I used to take mostly evening classes which seriously cut into my social life ; I'd like to move what I can to the AM in order to still have a life outside of the gym
  • Figure out my food plan: I thought I was eating too much, turns out I may actually not be eating enough.  I need to figure out a routine I can manage and which keeps me full.

I had a pretty awesome week:

Monday: rest -- I met my first Olympic bar the previous day and my quads were on fire

Tuesday: went for a short run before work (I suck at running but I like it) and went to my core class in the evening (or as I like to call it "30 minutes of everything plank")

Wednesday: strength training before work

• Warm up with the rower (500m then 3x250m drills)
  • Superset barbell squats (x15 reps, 75lbs) and 30 sec jump squats x3
  • Superset pushups with an incline (x10) and chest flys (x15, 10lbs) with legs extended at 45° because why not x3
  • Superset roman chair leg raise (x10) and pike plank (x10) x3
  • I failed to bring a plan for a cool down so I did a few vinyasas and light stretches

Thursday: rest

Friday: another short run before work, then a good sweat out at hot yoga in the evening (note to self: bring towel)

Saturday: boxing -- not many people turned up, which is unusual for this class so the instructor got creative with the circuits!  My arms were shattered

Sunday: strength training with my trainer

• Warm up with the rower (500m then 3x250m drills)
  • Superset barbell squats (x10 reps, 85lbs) and 30 sec jump squats x3
  • Superset roman chair leg raise (x12) and plank with crunch to three-legged dog (x10 each leg) x3
  • Superset assisted pull ups (x10, 80lbs) and some odd combination of bicep curls, overhead press and burpee (x10, 12.5lbs)
  • Cool down: she helped me figure out a plan with lots of hip flexors :)

In parallel, I've been slowly transitioning into paleo and started tracking my macros a couple of weeks ago to gauge where I'm at in terms of needs / habits.

My fridge is now packed with carefully portioned chicken, vegetables and sweet potato which should see me through the week.

Level 5 Warrior

Current Challenge | Battle Log | Instagram | Symmetric Strength

"Life's like Sanskrit read to a pony" - Lou Reed

So I've been holding strong and avoiding the snack pantry at the office -- even the chocolate covered pretzels, which are usually my downfall.

I've also been ignoring Bagel Mondays for the last couple of weeks.

On the plus side, I've discovered I LOVE peanut butter on celery :)

It's been my after-dinner snack for the last few nights (tracking my macros I discovered I don't eat enough fat!).  Now I just need to finish the peanut butter I have and replace find a paleo substitute (I like almond butter but haven't found a decent/cheap brand yet).

Workout-wise, Monday was a well deserved rest day.

TuesdayI went for a short run before work (1.27mi, I'm aiming for 2mi) and yoga in the evening

Wednesday strength training before work

• Warm up: rower (500m  then 3x250m drills)
  • Superset barbell squats (x10 reps, 85lbs) and 30 sec jump squats x3
  • Superset pushups with an incline (x10) and chest flys (x15, 10lbs) with  45° leg extension x3
  • Superset assisted pull ups (x10, 80lbs) and db bicep curls/overhead press/burpee combo (x10, 12.5lbs)
  • Superset roman chair leg raise (x12) and plank with crunch to three-legged dog (x10 each leg) x3
  • Cool down: hamstring, lower back and hip flexor stretches

The barbell squats were not as challenging as they were on Sunday, so I might be able to up my weight a bit again this week.

Tomorrow will be rest again, then Friday maybe run and/or yoga.

I have my regular boxing class on Saturday and another session with my trainer on Sunday.

Level 5 Warrior

I'm already terrible at updating this thing!

Overall I'm really happy with the last week.  I'm progressively increasing my training time, and I feel great.  Yes, I collapse into bed at 11pm BUT once I do I actually sleep, which is relatively new for me.

I'm really getting into running and strength training, I completely stopped going to BodyPump and my core class.  I'd like to find time to go at least once a month because I of the people and atmosphere, but I'm so happy I can train on my own time now.

Thurs 5.19 REST -- now that I'm more comfortable with weightlifting I'm going to try and run / do yoga on days I don't lift rather than do nothing at all.

Fri 5.20 30mins jog -- I started Polar's 5k training program. It's fairly challenging for me because I've been terrible at running longer than 15 minutes, but I surprised myself being able to run longer at an only slightly slower pace.

Sat 5.21 Boxing -- my instructor is on full torture mode ; he had us do pushups, burpees, mountain climbers and sprints in-between stations.  Love it though!

Sun 5.22

• Strength training -- I had a session with my trainer.  I was disappointed we didn't do any lifting because I'm really into it already.  She had me do a HIIT bodyweight workout, which is the kind of thing I hate because I fail miserably.  I do however acknowledge that's probably because I need to do more of it.  Nevertheless, I left feeling like crap. 
  • 45mins run (interval training) -- I went for a run in the afternoon, which really lifted my spirits.  I alternated running and walking, but it was a beautiful day and I was happy I could keep running for as long as I did.  I felt amazing afterwards!

Mon 5.23 30mins jog -- my heart no longer beats like crazy as soon as I start running, which means my endurance is already improving.

Tue 5.24 Strength training 

• SS x3 back squat (x10, 85lbs) / jump squat (30secs) -- I was hoping to squat 90lbs but hadn't touched the bar in a week and my form was feeling shaky.  Next time!
  • SS x3 pushup with shoulder tap (x10, 5 riser incline) / chest fly with 45° leg extension (x15, 10lbs) -- I'm keep lowering my legs halfway through rep #15, I need to stop doing that!  I think I can also reduce the incline for my pushups soon.
  • SS x3 pull ups (x10, 80lbs assist) / db bicep curl oh press burpee combo (x10, 12.5lbs) -- my pull ups are looking less and less pathetic, aiming for a 70lbs assist next time.
  • SS x3 roman chair leg raises (x10) / plank with crunch to three-legged dog (x10 per leg) -- aiming for 12 reps on the roman chair next time. 

Wed 5.25 45mins run (interval training) -- I ran the whole time!!

It's a shame the GPS on my watch does not cope well with bridges (under which I often run) because I don't have an accurate measure of my pace, but this run put me in an excellent mood.

Level 5 Warrior