All Your Gainz Are Belong To Grymm

Since I’ve been lurking on your forums for a couple days, I figured I should register and introduce myself.  You may call me Grymm (Grim, not Grime); about half of my friends actually do. 

While I’m neither Trekkie nor Star Wars fan, I do have a fairly stellar nerd resume.  I was two time math team captain and voted class intellect in high school (granted not this millennium).  I’m a long retired WoW progression guild leader (vanilla through Firelands).  That’s actually where the name Grymm comes from – it was the name of my main, a Dwarven warrior.  More recently, I’ve taken to overly complex board games (Catan anyone?) and building my own Halloween costumes.

I was always a big kid.  I was recruited to the wrestling team in 8th grade because I was 6’/205.  I joined the football team as a freshman in high school and was immediately put at left tackle.  I graduated high school in the 275 neighborhood.  In college, I switched to volleyball.  I had always enjoyed volleyball, and I wasn’t playing football anymore.  As other people put on their freshman 20, I actually dropped almost 40 pounds without really trying.  However, over the last couple of years of college, I was working full time and finishing school full time.  Sports were dropped, and I put some weight back on.  After graduating, I basically devoted my free time to video games.  Since we were intensely competitive, it was sort of like sports, albeit while eating junk and sitting in a chair for hours on end. 

At some point when I was maybe 29, I was at my aunt’s house for a holiday and came across something I hadn’t seen in years – a scale.  I weighed myself out of curiosity, and I was on the verge of 300 (literally 299).  I had already quit WoW, but I hadn’t developed any significant replacement activities.  I joined a gym and cleaned up my diet some.  I quickly dropped about 25#.  In the years since, I’ve joined volleyball, basketball, and flag football leagues.  Minor (and not so minor) injuries kind of forced me to give up basketball and flag football.  That much running at my size was rough on the joints. I was still a pretty solid volleyball player, though.

So now I’m the team captain of a pretty competitive co-ed indoor 6’s team.  I started mountain biking a bit earlier this year, and my exercise patterns have been pretty good.  Over time, I’ve cleaned up my diet pretty well.  Even before reading up on this site, I was probably 80% paleo.  As an insatiable learner, I’ll read up on anything and develop a broad enough understanding to do my own thing. 

Right now, I’m uninjured (knock on wood), down to about 265, eating really well, and waiting on delivery of a power rack for my basement.  People I work with think I’ve lost 30# recently (It’s actually 5-7) so I guess some of the new routines are paying off.  I haven’t lifted heavy in 15 years, but I’m looking forward to getting back into it. 

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

On 5/20/2016 at 5:26 AM, SpecialSundae said:

Welcome to the Rebellion, fellow Warrior!

May your lifts be heavy but the weights feel light! ;)

I've seen you around the Warrior boards so I'm going to guess you've already found us, but do feel free to give me a shout if there's anything I can do to help!

Sundae

Thanks!

Yeah, I've been cruising through the forums.  I go on vacation next week and after that I should be ready to participate in the next challenge.

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

On 5/21/2016 at 4:20 PM, Grymm said:

Thanks!

Yeah, I've been cruising through the forums.  I go on vacation next week and after that I should be ready to participate in the next challenge.

Hey yo! Grymm has an intro thread?? You know what that means... 

lojjTND.gif

Challenge stalking coming to a blip near you! Glad you made it!

• Like 1
On 17 May 2016 at 0:22 AM, Grymm said:

More recently, I’ve taken to overly complex board games (Catan anyone?)

Thanks for welcoming me. Let me return the favor!

I really love boardgames. I wish I had more people to play them with. I have at least one game I haven't played yet due to lack of players. Catan is a fun one. :)

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

On 5/17/2016 at 6:22 PM, Grymm said:

More recently, I’ve taken to overly complex board games (Catan anyone?) and building my own Halloween costumes.

Oh my gosh I love Catan. I discovered it a few years ago and played on a regular basis with my housemates when we weren't busy with exam season (so not that regular, I guess, but I asked people if they wanted to play every weekend! completely hooked!) but haven't played at all since I moved out, unfortunately. My boyfriend recently introduced me to another board game called Lords of Waterdeep - I highly recommend it, though I've only played twice so far. I might have to get a copy of my own soon.

On 5/17/2016 at 6:22 PM, Grymm said:

Since we were intensely competitive, it was sort of like sports, albeit while eating junk and sitting in a chair for hours on end.

This is such a fantastic depiction of why I'm terrified of getting too into computer games... (I have a feeling I would like the common choices of LOL, dota, etc...) Mostly for the time sink, but I've also noticed that if I ever spend hours playing anything, some sort of unhealthy food item gets consumed in copious quantities, without my really noticing.

• Like 1