Wordwar Z! (Word/Time Goal Tracking, with zombies!)

I wrote three days in a row to escape the zombies... and then got sidetracked and didn't touch anything for the rest of the week! :lol: I think maybe I need to try a little hard to remember that I'm supposed to be writing on weekdays as well as weekends! ;)

But on a good note that flurry of writing last weekend pretty much finished a flash fiction rough draft, so woot! *dances* I am going to try and get that finished today, which means another chapter of Half Past Never to post to the blog. :)

How is everyone else doing? Are you finding writing on workdays after/before work to be as much as a headache as I am or are you more like @Jane Eyre Is My Patronus who I am still positive is actual a superhero writer pretending to be one of us mere mortals! :lol::D (Seriously, you are my wordcount inspiration right now, you are amazing!)

• Like 1

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

3 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

How is everyone else doing?

After a super week last week, I got sidetracked early in the week but I'm dipping my toes in. (Almost literally if you look at my low word count for the last couple of days.)

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

How did it get to be Monday again already?? This year is starting to fly past every time I blink...

Weekly Zombie/Pirate/Ninja/Vampire-pocalypse!

The challenge results for the week were as follows:

Drop and give me 100!

@UnquietBones has escaped the Zombies and is keeping ahead by just a heartbeat with a score of 3/7 for a 100 word a day goal.

@Jane Eyre Is My Patronus is once again setting the bar high with a score of 6/7 for a 500 word a day goal! (The Pirates have given up and broken out the rum.)

Couch to 1.667k (30 Days)

@Kelley Gammell is hanging out at day 18 and may be taking a break?

Writing For The Weekend

@Dagger is making the weekend work with a score of 614/300! Nary a Vampire in sight...

Questions and Sidenotes

And on we go! :D  I hope everyone has a great week to come and that everyone's Muses are playing nice! :lol:

• Like 1

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

'Days are long but years are short', mh? ;) Still working on the '32. Verb/action: fighting' prompt. But *sigh* But any time I try to put words on paper it's not at all what it's like in my head, and.. Gah! So most days I don't write at all, and when I do, it's just a little. I've got 3-4 short stories coming on, though, and they indeed do feature Flames, and a few others ;) But the writing is not consistent, hence not logging wordcounts. Come to think of it.. Should look into the monthly total options? ;)

• Like 2

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

Ooh, can I join?! I love this idea! I have been trying to establish a stronger habit of writing every day, either for academic stuff or some personal projects, and it would be great to have some accountability. Plus, you guys seem like a cool and fun group!

I've signed up for Drop and Give Me 100 for now. I'll start this Monday (Aug 22), with 100 daily words for now.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Aug 2016 ~ My Epic Quest

Walk to Mordor: Hobbiton to Rivendell (458/458, arrived 27 April 2016)

Rivendell to Lothlorien (351.11/462)

On 8/16/2016 at 6:45 AM, Fearkiller said:

'Days are long but years are short', mh? ;) Still working on the '32. Verb/action: fighting' prompt. But *sigh* But any time I try to put words on paper it's not at all what it's like in my head, and.. Gah! So most days I don't write at all, and when I do, it's just a little. I've got 3-4 short stories coming on, though, and they indeed do feature Flames, and a few others ;) But the writing is not consistent, hence not logging wordcounts. Come to think of it.. Should look into the monthly total options? ;)

That sounds like plenty of progress to me! :D I can add you a monthly tab easy enough-- any preferences on what it's called? It won't be a Zombie/Ninja/Pirate thing since the timespan is so long, but I can add a few monthly badge to the work-in-progress pile! :)  (I am actually making some nice progress on those now that I'm out of the doldrums!)

21 minutes ago, gryffinkat said:

Ooh, can I join?! I love this idea! I have been trying to establish a stronger habit of writing every day, either for academic stuff or some personal projects, and it would be great to have some accountability. Plus, you guys seem like a cool and fun group!

I've signed up for Drop and Give Me 100 for now. I'll start this Monday (Aug 22), with 100 daily words for now.

Welcome to the madness! :D:D Folks are welcome to hop on in and out whenever they like, just grey yourself out if you aren't going to be updating for a while. Rules are open to changes and if you see something you'd like added, just let me know! :)

I am going to try a lot harder to be mindful of my writing with this next challenge (among other things)... My goal is to catch up with @Jane Eyre Is My Patronus someday! :lol:

UPDATE: The new tab is done and I've hopped on there myself. I did some sums so the numbers will carry over from the Drop and Give Me 100 tab, because I am a lazy lazy soul. :lol:;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

I'm joining too! Thanks for this! I think writing with other people (but alone...) is the thing I miss most from NaNo. :) Starting Monday!

Woohoo! :D:D The more the merrier! :)

And I share your NaNo withdrawal symptoms. I missing the chaos of the November forums... The Camps just never seem the same. (Alas.)

• Like 1

Hmm. So, as I'm writing the series of long replies to the prompt, pasting them into spoiler tags on NF is hardly practical.

Pastebin doesn't retain formatting, like italics or stuff. I could use Google Docs, if that's okay? (Got one other story there as well.)

It's a little blunt to read, just black-and-white text, but *shrug* it works. Are there any other alternatives? What do you use?

(I could be picky, and add I'd like to choose where to share them, for now.)

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

4 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

Hmm. So, as I'm writing the series of long replies to the prompt, pasting them into spoiler tags on NF is hardly practical.

Pastebin doesn't retain formatting, like italics or stuff. I could use Google Docs, if that's okay? (Got one other story there as well.)

It's a little blunt to read, just black-and-white text, but *shrug* it works. Are there any other alternatives? What do you use?

(I could be picky, and add I'd like to choose where to share them, for now.)

Google Docs are fine by me! :) I think that's probably the best way since you can lock things down to only be accessible by link. I don't know of another way to post them and password protect them-- maybe by blog? I know WordPress lets you assign passwords to posts, but that might get a little messy. Hmm... 

Personally, I use my blog, but since I am not seeking traditional publication I don't have to worry about stuff being open to the public. Those few pieces I do hope to sell are password protected posts, so I can share them with beta readers. This was all before Google Docs-- I suppose it would be a lot easier to use that now. :lol:

• Like 1

I wrote this post and then forgot to hit submit! :lol: I blame my Monday brains. ;)

How did it get to be Monday again already?? This year is starting to fly past every time I blink...

Drop and give me 100!

@UnquietBones is once again being gnawed on by Zombies with a 0/7 for a 100 word a day goal.

@Jane Eyre Is My Patronus is churning right along with a score of 6/7 for a 500 word a day goal. Being awesome as always. *solemn nod*

@gryffinkat and @PollyannaAgain are both waiting in the wings, ready to start avoiding Pirates this week! :D

Couch to 1.667k (30 Days)

@Kelley Gammell is still on day 18 and I'm going to assume they're on a break right now. To the Gray with you! :)

Writing For The Weekend

@Dagger has been savaged by Vampires who have made off with his wordcount... alas. :( Leaving him with a score of 0/300!

Badges, Questions and Sidenotes

Zombies-Ate-My-Wordcount-Badge-150.jpg

@UnquietBones (me!) has earned yet another Zombie badge and is now considering drawing consolation badges for those folks who routinely get eaten/bitten/vanished/waylaid. We deserve something for out stubborn refusal to give up, right? ;):lol:  To escape they must now log wordcount/time for at least three consecutive days or meet a weekly/monthly goal (whichever comes first).

Vampire-Badge-150.jpg

@Dagger has earned a Vampire badge for a second time (the HORRORS!) and to escape must now log wordcount/time for at least three consecutive days or meet a weekly/monthly goal (whichever comes first).

• Like 2

I've been in a bit of a writing slump this week, but I saw this go by on my blog sidebar and it inspired me to write a little bit... so I figured I'd share! :)

http://blog.janicehardy.com/2016/08/writing-prompt-challenge-thats-hot.html   <-- go here for the below! :D

Writing Prompt: The Challenge: That’s Hot

Fire.jpg
By Janice Hardy, @Janice_Hardy

This week’s prompt is a challenge designed to push your creative boundaries and stretch those artistic wings.

Today’s challenge stretches your symbolic and thematic description skills.

Write a scene that uses “hot” as a theme or motif, using as many words, images, or ideas for “hot” as you can—but don’t use the actual word “hot.”

Extra Challenge: Also avoid using common synonyms for “hot,” such as: warm, heat, and blistering. 

Super Duper Challenge: Use “hot” as a motif, but set the scene in a cold, winter climate.
  • Like 2

Oh, I should probably mention I grayed out my line, since I'm on vacation in Austria and I am not writing, instead I am hiking!

• Like 2

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

On 8/28/2016 at 4:24 PM, Dagger said:

Oh, I should probably mention I grayed out my line, since I'm on vacation in Austria and I am not writing, instead I am hiking!

That sounds like an excellent excuse reason to me! :D

• Like 1

Ever have one of those days when you feel like getting a writing habit in place is going to take a miracle? (Or Witness Protection?) SO my week! :lol:

But weekly waylayance of plans aside... its' time for the reckoning! :D:D

Drop and give me 100!

@UnquietBones clawed her way free of the Zombies, but they are hot on her heels with a score of 3/7 for a 100 word a day goal.

@Jane Eyre Is My Patronus had a bit of a stumble midweek but is up and running again with a score of 3/7 for a 500 word a day goal.

@gryffinkat has deftly avoided the Pirates and is leading the pack with a score of 4/7 for a 100 word a day goal!

@PollyannaAgain is holding back in the wings and might be joining us this week? :)

@Dagger is off having GRAND ADVENTURES in the Austrian wilderness (serious envy of the mountainous goodness!) and is currently grey.

@Fearkiller and @Kelley Gammell are off battling story demons, but will hopefully back some time as well...

1-Week-Zombie-Safe-Badge-150.jpg

Since this is @gryffinkat 's first Week of Win, here's the first badge! :D

Zombie-Killer-Badge-150.jpg

@UnquietBones (me) gets yet another Zombie escape badge, because lo, I am horrible at forming habits.

• Like 2

Hey cool, I got a badge! Just curious ... what do y'all do with yours? Anyone post them anyplace? Or just admire them from a distance? :)

Also ... 

2 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

because lo, I am horrible at forming habits.

SO get this, UnquietBones! Here's to a better week for us all!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Ever have one of those days when you feel like getting a writing habit in place is going to take a miracle? (Or Witness Protection?) SO my week! :lol:

But weekly waylayance of plans aside... its' time for the reckoning! :D:D

Drop and give me 100!

@UnquietBones clawed her way free of the Zombies, but they are hot on her heels with a score of 3/7 for a 100 word a day goal.

@Jane Eyre Is My Patronus had a bit of a stumble midweek but is up and running again with a score of 3/7 for a 500 word a day goal.

@gryffinkat has deftly avoided the Pirates and is leading the pack with a score of 4/7 for a 100 word a day goal!

@PollyannaAgain is holding back in the wings and might be joining us this week? :)

@Dagger is off having GRAND ADVENTURES in the Austrian wilderness (serious envy of the mountainous goodness!) and is currently grey.

@Fearkiller and @Kelley Gammell are off battling story demons, but will hopefully back some time as well...

1-Week-Zombie-Safe-Badge-150.jpg

Since this is @gryffinkat 's first Week of Win, here's the first badge! :D

Zombie-Killer-Badge-150.jpg

@UnquietBones (me) gets yet another Zombie escape badge, because lo, I am horrible at forming habits.

Yes? Sorry. Had to scale back for a tough week. Got a new notebook for this month's project today though, so I'm set. :-)

• Like 2

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

6 hours ago, gryffinkat said:

Hey cool, I got a badge! Just curious ... what do y'all do with yours? Anyone post them anyplace? Or just admire them from a distance? :)

You can do whatever you like with them, they are mostly just for fun... I've been meaning to come up with tiny versions you could stick in your signature if you wanted. :lol:

I have a bunch more that are all in rough draft forms. I keep promising myself I'll sit down and get them done... and then time gets away from me again! :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

You can do whatever you like with them, they are mostly just for fun... I've been meaning to come up with tiny versions you could stick in your signature if you wanted. :lol:

I have a bunch more that are all in rough draft forms. I keep promising myself I'll sit down and get them done... and then time gets away from me again! :P

I just want to say that I absolutely love them. Not to put added pressure on you—I know what it can be like, trying to finish off projects that have been around for months. But I love your style and sense of humor. ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Yes? Sorry. Had to scale back for a tough week. Got a new notebook for this month's project today though, so I'm set. :-)

No worries, I know the feeling! :D:D Just wanted to throw you a tag so you know we haven't forgotten you! :)  (And new notebook :love_heart:, I can never resist when the school supplies go on sale each year! :lol:)

• Like 1

I wrote a lot (well not that much, but still annoying), assuming Mark and Flames were romantically together,

but I'm not so sure anymore? The other characters complicated things. But if they are just friends

(deep affection and caring, but no love-love, or intention of sexy times..), I'd have to scrap so much. 

Grr! :D Why couldn't you guys be neat and like I want you to be? Why'd you have to get complicated?

(The problem is I can't just take what I've written and slap a different name instead of Mark. D: 

Flames would also freak out, big time xD 

Bill isn't Mark, but I haven't enough characterization to use him anyway.. Auugh!)

Oh well, that's that.

How are you doing?

Oh, and

236756.jpg

:D 

• Like 1

Hullo all! Sorry for the radio silence and a thousand apologies for not realizing that the tracking worksheet stopped at the beginning of September. I could have sworn I set it up through October. :(

Anywho, it's all caught up now, so if you'd like to go back and enter your numbers for last week you can, but the Zombies/Pirates/etc. will give you a break because of my failures. (They are pretty much gnawing my limbs off at this point anyways. :lol:)

I hope everyone's projects are going well and I'm sorry for the mistake! :)

And @Fearkiller that is an awesome pic, I'm going to have to go share that with my Facebook NaNo group now! :lol:

• Like 1

Any day is a good day for a do-over... so I've gotten my 100 words in and hoping to squeeze in a few more before the night is out! :D

How goes everyone else's midweek chaos? :D:D

• Like 1

I'm currently wondering that if I write the story as it goes, the characters possibly end up not likeable.

But then again, I have to write it as the story is, as they are, and not how I want them to be. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

How goes everyone else's midweek chaos? :D:D

Uhmm... I'm casually not writing. Mostly quite not a decision, it just kinda doesn't happen... *whistles innocently*

Although I guess I have an excuse for being distracted because travel to US on Monday and NF CAMP on Wednesday. *trying to avoid caps, soo excited*

• Like 2