• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nighteyes

nighteyes: a wolf begins

This is my first challenge - I know it's part-way through the session but thought it would be best to get started!

My story: I used to really enjoy jumping about and climbing trees, but I've been way less active recently (mild fibromyalgia combined with an abiding love for video games). I want to have a strong, healthy, androgynous body, and be powerful and agile like a wolf. And playful, too.

CHALLENGES
Diet: I read Steve's post on intermittent fasting, and it really resonated with me considering that I tend not to eat breakfast anyway. I'd been trying to have protein breakfasts to level up to Level 4, but IF makes so much more sense. So, my diet challenge is to only eat between 12noon and 8pm (drinking water, peppermint tea, and black coffee outwith those times).

Fitness: To do the Bodyweight 1A/B workout at least 2x per week

Life: This really relates to fitness too, but I'm putting it in "life" because a) I needed a "life" challenge and B) it isn't JUST about fitness...so my life challenge is to start playing softball again. First game is tonight!

1 hour ago, Bookish Badger said:

Hey, nighteyes, how did the softball game go? And welcome - this is my first challenge and I started this week too :) 

It went really well! But I'm so sore and exhausted now. Really hope it doesn't trigger the fibro again. 

How is your challenge going? 

9 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

Softball is fun, but I suck at it.

How's the rest of your challenge going?

I am not great at softball ;) I do improve, but much more slowly than I do at other things.

As for the rest of my challenge...

Fitness-wise, I've done Bodyweight 1A and 1B. They seemed to go fine apart from those planks at the end of 1B. They were really, really hard.

Diet-wise, I've been sticking to 16-8, with mixed success. On Wednesday I had dinner at 5pm because I was going out to choir, and REALLY struggled the next day. I felt pretty faint by the time I had my lunch at 12pm. I'm not sure whether it's best to keep strict at 12noon-8pm for eating, or whether to mix it up. What do you think?

Really want to make sure I don't trigger my fibro, but also want to keep making progress. It's a tough balance!

An update!

I injured my quads somehow, so softball on Tuesday was fairly disastrous. Managed to play catcher and do a bit of limping to first base, but fell over any time I tried to run/move quickly. Spent yesterday feeling sorry for myself and keeping my leg elevated.

Today, I made a modified Bodyweight Level 1 workout that didn't use my quads. It went pretty well :)

Diet-wise, I've been sticking to IF apart from Tuesday (softball day), when I felt miserable, hungry, and injured, so I had a second dinner at 10pm. I'm snacking a little (within the window), on either dark chocolate or peanutbutter+apple slices. I've started having a scoop of pea-protein powder (mixed with water) just before 8pm, to help satiety and to give my muscles some extra food.

I had been adding some assassin elements to my workout (namely wall handstands), but I'm going to stop those while my leg heals.

That sucks :( Hard to complete goals when injuries happen. Still, you're doing well on everything else and kudos for the initiative to change the workout. How's the wall handstands going? Are you enjoying them? If you are, why stop doing them?

I'm sorry to hear about your injury! I hope that it is at least supporting you now, and that a few more days rest will do the trick.

Please don't let this derail you, though. You can still do the intermittent fasting. You can still go to the softball games and have fun cheering your friends, even if you aren't ready to play quite yet. And you can do the upper body part of the bodyweight workout (carefully, of course). Wolves are persistence hunters, so be persistent! :)

8 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

How's the wall handstands going? Are you enjoying them? If you are, why stop doing them?

The wall handstands were good, I could do 30s! But I'm not super in control of them, and I'm concerned that the going up and down might screw my quads up further. I'll start again when I'm feeling healed. My next challenge is going to be with the assassins, I think. Will you still come and say hi? :D

5 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

I'm sorry to hear about your injury! I hope that it is at least supporting you now, and that a few more days rest will do the trick.

Please don't let this derail you, though. You can still do the intermittent fasting. You can still go to the softball games and have fun cheering your friends, even if you aren't ready to play quite yet. And you can do the upper body part of the bodyweight workout (carefully, of course). Wolves are persistence hunters, so be persistent! :)

It is supporting me, Badger, and I have more range of movement in my walk. Thanks - I initially felt really derailed, because I really like following the structure of the workouts, but my new one is good AND gives me a chance to start using my new dumbbells. Double win.

I have identified a reward for this first half-challenge - it is a Breville Blend-Active Blender to make my protein shakes. Currently I just put pea protein into a glass jar with water and shake it up. It does not taste good, but I cannot face washing my food processor every time. So this should make things a lot easier :D

Update! It all went well, and I bought the blender as a reward. It is definitely making the protein powder WAY nicer.

Quads are feeling okay now - will see how it feels after softball today.

New challenge is in the assassins - see here: 

• Like 2