Actually getting started -- what to do for warm-up

It's a matter of intensity. For most bodyweight exercise, you perform at maybe 50-60% of your max. There's some good information in the Bodyweight Exercise Resources thread on prehab.

I usually warm up with two sets of the exercise I'm going to do at that particular moment. One of around 15-16 reps with very low intensity (currently I'm doing pushups with one hand elevated, so I take incline pushups or pushups on my knees) and one of around 10 reps with low intensity (I use normal pushups). I also do my wrist-elbow-shoulder conditioning at that point, either beforehand, in between or after. That's my set-specific warmup.

You may want to do something to get the blood flowing as well. I can get the blood flowing really easily as I'm young and conditioned well (as in cardiovascular), but if you're older and/or not as conditioned, you'll want to add some jumping jacks or jump rope to get the blood pumping.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

To touch on some of the points 161803398874989 mentioned, our warmup at gymnastics are kind of like this. I hope it can inspire some ideas. :)

* Run around the edge of the room for a little while

* After that, keep moving at moderate pace and:

-- jump sideways

-- grapevine/karaoke

-- high knee runs

-- high knee power skips

-- butt kicks

--

* Now slow down and do each step while walking and alternating sides

-- Walking hamstring stretch, walk with completely straight legs and touch the ground for each step (stay close to ground at all times)

-- Leg swings - forward swings; first medium high with bent leg, then full height straight leg

-- Side leg swings, for each swing go to a wide squat-like position and stretch the inside of your thighs, by pressing your knees outwards with your elbows, a couple of seconds

-- Forward leg swings again, stop on the way down and go down into a lunge position and stretch the front side of your hip a couple of seconds

* Keep walking, loosen joints and light stretching

-- Walk slowly while tilting and rotating your ankles. Up on toes, to the sides, slightly on the insides, soften your toe joints, etc.

-- At the same time soften up your

, fingers and neck

* Next part is a mix of warmup and basic skill exercises, we do these while moving across the room

-- Inchworm

-- Spiderman Crawl

-- Jumping spiderman crawl - Can't find a video but essentially you jump while alternating sides

-- Tuck/Straddle/Pike jump - Video shows trampoline but can be done on the floor

-- Short, fast, long or high forward rolls

-- Handstand forward rolls

-- Handstand push/bounce - You go down into a handstand and directly push with your shoulders making a small bounce. Almost like a handstand jump, a shoulder technique used for handsprings among others.

-- Handstand and walks

-- Cartwheel

I probably forgot a bunch of our exercises but these cover most of them which we do during our first half hour. After that it's free for all. We usually end our training with strength exercises and stretching. I hope this gives a good idea of a good warmup. You really feel the difference in your body if you do a real warmup instead of heading right into your training. :smug:

Here's what I do (I stole it from Ido Portal)

I always start a warm up with some kicks and jumps. Come from the TKD days.

Then I do some band work. I do some shoulder rotation, some straight arm extension, and some big circles at full extension up, to the sides, and down in the back.

I do walks (duck walk, crab walk, bridge walk) and frog stand/wall handstand (I can't do a handstand walk yet)

I do Ido's squat clinic stuff (basically some low squat sitting with hip rotation and stuff)

That usually gets me warm, but everything I do in a warm up (weighted squats or deadlifts, for example) starts with a slower, easy, low weight version of that thing to get me dynamically warmed

If you're really not sure what to do for a warm up, Ask Steve Kamb.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Here's what I do (I stole it from Ido Portal)

I always start a warm up with some kicks and jumps. Come from the TKD days.

Then I do some band work. I do some shoulder rotation, some straight arm extension, and some big circles at full extension up, to the sides, and down in the back.

I do walks (duck walk, crab walk, bridge walk) and frog stand/wall handstand (I can't do a handstand walk yet)

I do Ido's squat clinic stuff (basically some low squat sitting with hip rotation and stuff)

That usually gets me warm, but everything I do in a warm up (weighted squats or deadlifts, for example) starts with a slower, easy, low weight version of that thing to get me dynamically warmed

If you're really not sure what to do for a warm up, Ask Steve Kamb.

I assume you were trying to link this post: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/ which got scrolled of the page you linked to by todays post I guess. Just correcting in case someone else comes through later looking at this post and gets confused.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Anivair you make a good point about kicks and such, I should practice my TKD outside of class anyway.