Rowing Machines...?

I've never liked workout machines, really, and I think Steve's right about there being no need for them.

Rowing machines, however, intrigue me. They seem to be more of a multi-muscle workout than most of the machines, and even if I had a boat and a place to row it, I'm in Alaska. Some parts of Alaska don't really get snow, but the places where I hang out have snow stick for at least six months out of the year. I'm also uninterested in buying a full-body, arctic-weight wet suit for kayaking when I'm trying to lose weight.

So I find myself considering taking up use of the rowing machine. Thoughts?

I loved rowing machines when I went to the gym.. then they got rid of them. : (

They are very effective for a full body workout and are fantastic to cross train with - they're mostly upper body, as opposed to most cardio activities. I'm told the key to getting the most out of them is to really engage your back - lean back, and engage your shoulder blades first to initiate the pull of the handle toward you. Then straighten your arms again before bending your legs, so you stretch your back and arms fully. Also make sure you bend your knees to a 90 degree angle or more to fully engage your thighs, and make sure your knees and feet are pointing the same way - don't let your knees fall in our outward, or you'll create an imbalance in your leg muscles.

And obviously, don't get too reliant on them exclusively. Variety, spice, etc.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Oh yeah, rowing machines are the best cardio machine in the world. Especially if they are the Concept2's. Those things are just plain fun.

Watch a vid or two on proper technique and how to use the software. Then jump on, you'll never want to leave.

I'm a Week Late and Pissed Off Challenge 

"What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

Yep, just adding to what others have said, rowing machines are the only cardio "machine" I'll use. Love 'em, in that hate-filled sort of way. :D Heck, if you're pressed for time, a single 500m sprint will get your heart rate going like little else.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Having rowed for 15 years (and coached for 4 of those) and spent countless hours on rowing machines (ergs) and cringing every time I see someone misusing one at the gym, I glad to throw some expertise at this (though rowing seems to be one of those sports that attracts nerds, so I suspect I am not alone.) First, check out the vids here:

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/technique.asp

There is a right and a wrong way to use an erg, and this is not an elitist thing. You will mess up your back very very quickly erging wrong.

The way I explain the motion, is that it's a horizontal deadlift, if you have experience lifting, this should make total sense. Use your biggest muscle groups first and work to the smaller ones. So legs, back, then arms. Make sure that your posture is good and that you are using the sides of your body evenly.

Another thing to do is watch the chain go in and out, it should stay level the whole time, I put a little piece of tape on mine to make sure I am doing it right.

I'm a rower too! I used to be the Captain of my team, and I've spent my fair share of erg (rowing machine) time as well. I've done workouts as short as a 6 minute all out sprint to a 90 minute slow burn, and I can definitely say there is a right way to use that machine if you want to achieve results.

I find that beginners will either find the machine too easy (wrong technique) or too difficult to use (again, wrong technique). It's all about engaging your legs first, then keeping your core stabilized as you level with your back, then your hands pulling to your chest. The typical rowing motion, kind of hard to describe sooo... HERE'S A GIF:

Posted Image

Definitely a full body workout that you can vary from day to day. Currently I don't have access to this (torture) machine but it can definitely get you in shape.

The only torture of this machine is watching people at the gym use it for bicep curls as they mess up the chain while they look around to see who is watching them flex. Ugh.

Well that and the lactic acid. There is that.

Haha I don't know which is worse, that or seeing people going WILD on the machine. Backs bent, no leg component and going at 45 spm on the slider. Not pretty either haha.

Haha If I look back on our erg training at the beginning, I can't help but shudder. I remember doing my first 90 minutes but I remember reading this from a rowing book and not from my Coach haha. Even though I was averaging a weak 2:15-20 by the end of the first hour, I couldn't walk for 30 minutes after getting off and I had blisters on my butt for a few days. It was pretty rough.

But other than that, rowing three times a week on land (20-42 minutes per session) plus other sessions on the water brought down my weight from 250 to 193 in a span of two years. It's one of the best full-body work outs out there (as per research on the net), go for it if there's one in your gym!