Greetings from the old nerd down the street

Hey now,

I am Jeff, a 55 year old 6'1" sys-admin that topped out at 260 pounds two years ago.  I am down to 214.3 pounds as of this morning and lost 20 of those pounds this month.  Not sure what my actual goal is at this point but I am thinking about 190 depending on how skinny I look at that weight.

At this point exercise is not much of an option for a couple of reasons.

1. Insane anti inflammatory diet with too little calories to support much exercise.  This is only for the first stage.  second stage I will be able to take in enough calories to support some exercise.
  2. Exercise is going to be interesting since I have the kind of problems with my feet that can make even a 1 mile walk extremely uncomfortable, plus some sciatica issues in my hip.  Not sure how I am going to address this, but I am not willing to just go quietly into the night as an over-weight out of shape nerd.

While this diet is crazy, I am now down to only 1 blood pressure med from 3.  I really hope that the second stage with exercise will allow me to drop that last BP med and start building up some muscle mass.  I really miss feeling like I can do anything that I set my mind to without my body letting me down.

Well that is probably enough for a short intro for now, though there is always more.

Welcome and congrats on the weight loss. I am reading a great book right now called Deskbound  by Kelly Starrett. In the book not only does he talk about the importance of more movement and standing, but he goes into great detail about correct posture, and has lots of mobility stretches to help you move better. Since you aren't exercising yet, I think that might be a great starting point for you.

Also there are several of us older nerds chatting on this thread : http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/68642-chronologically-blessed/

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27